• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara |OT| Wel-Wel-Wel-Welcome to the D&D world!

Just ran through Tower of Doom.

This port is legit, no doubt about that.

EDIT: Ok wtf I just joined a game through quick match. A second later I crash to desktop.

I don't think any other company outdid Capcom in this genre, even now. Hopefully this does okay and they can manage to get the licenses for the other games, especially Alien vs. Predator. Glad to see this on PC too, will pick it up at some point.

Tizoc

I don't think any other company outdid Capcom in this genre, even now. Hopefully this does okay and they can manage to get the licenses for the other games, especially Alien vs. Predator. Glad to see this on PC too, will pick it up at some point.

My wishlist of Capcom 2d beat'em ups I want to see ported include:
Punisher
AvP
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Captain Commando
Battle Circuit
Armored Warriors

branny

Really looking forward to diving back into these. I barely got to play Shadow over Mystara in arcades, but I did spend a lot of time with Tower of Doom since it was right next to my preferred VF1 machine. "Sticks to snakes!" still randomly pops into my head when I'm doing stupid stuff like yard work, lol.

Very few beat 'em ups do it for me (I even had a hard time warming up to Guardian Heroes at first), so I can't recommend this compilation enough assuming the port job isn't janky. It's so exciting to have Dragon's Crown just around the corner, too.

edit:
Oh man it would suck if one version excels in some aspects and the other excels in different aspects and neither one is definitively best version.
Ugh, I guess it's best to just be glad we're finally getting legit releases of these games after so many years. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh man it would suck if one version excels in some aspects and the other excels in different aspects and neither one is definitively best version.

Sigh, don't even wanna think about that being the case. Capcom could have avoided it, however, by NOT MAKING THE SAME GODDAMN GAME TWICE.

Limited edition contents courtesy of Siliconera
This includes a reprint of a Shadows over Mystara guide from an arcade book series, two disc CD soundtrack, a reprint of a Capcom Secret File for Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows over Mystara, instruction card & sticker set, two rubber coasters, a clear folder, a code redeemable for a PS3 theme designed by Capcom artist Bengus, in a limited edition box.

Probably not worth it if you can't read Japanese unless the guide is filled with art.

Raitaro

These would be great.

They're the ones you've listed that I've played, anyhow.

Yeah, Capcom really should release a double pack similar to Final Fight / Magic Sword (though without the online DRM of course) that includes Battle Circuit and either:

Captain Commando - for an "Inspired by 50's sci-fi collection" (as both are seemingly inspired by the same 50's sci-fi art of artists like Frank R. Paul)

or

Red Earth - for an "Unknown peaks of the Capcom arcade library collection" (both games being quite obscure but also at the peak of their respective genres by incorporating some rpg elements into their design).

I would be very happy with either option!

Closer on topic: Does anyone know why Capcom took the effort to have additional work done exclusively on the Japanese version? Why take the effort to finally release these (for Capcom fans) much wanted games around the world but then update only one version, thereby making the international version feel less complete?

Edit: I did not even think of the possibility that none of the two versions would be the definitive one, as a few people above me pointed out. This makes Capcom's decision even more baffling!

Closer on topic: Does anyone know why Capcom took the effort to have additional work done exclusively on the Japanese version? Why take the effort to finally release these (for Capcom fans) much wanted games around the world but then update only one version, thereby making the international version feel less complete?

Probably because the Dungeons and Dragons franchise was always more popular in its homeland of Japan. It never really took off in America.

Keeping it classy with randoms
size matters said:
ibpVfkRxZ6upSO.jpg

Syril

What kind of extras are there in the download version over the arcade original (besides an online mode of course)? I saw stuff about house rules settings, but what do those do exactly?

What kind of extras are there in the download version over the arcade original (besides an online mode of course)? I saw stuff about house rules settings, but what do those do exactly?

They're like different modes of play that you can activate.

- One Life Challenge
- Vampirism (attacks you do heal you)
- Time Attack: You start out with 30 seconds on the clock and each enemy you kill adds more time
- Moneybags: Instead of health each attack against you takes gold away, and when you run out you die

Theres a few more. You can activate as many as you have unlocked at one time.

sphinx

the piano man
can someone confirm whether the difficulty settings can be changed??

regarding Tower of Doom, is it the exact same game from the arcades back then?

I remember I was determined to finish it with one coin... I only made it to the last boss once or twice before the local went out of business, fucking hard game.

can someone confirm whether the difficulty settings can be changed??

regarding Tower of Doom, is it the exact same game from the arcades back then?

I remember I was determined to finish it with one coin... I only made it to the last boss once or twice before the local went out of business, fucking hard game.

Yes there are 4 difficulty settings.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does the PSN version work with a HRAP stick?

Was totally going to buy this... then heard about the PS3 retail version in Japan probably being better... so now I'm waiting for that.
One probably won't be exceptionally better mechanically than the other (Iron Galaxy has done great work on previous emulation packages). Basically, you would be paying at least three times the price for a couple of extra features (four of the same character and color edit).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
PC port is fantastic. The games are even more fun then I remember. Thanks Capcom for putting this on Steam.

Edgeward

hmmm, challenge bars don't show. full screen messes up the aspect ratio on the second screen even at the right resolution. And on the 3rd stage a boss was supposed to appear at the front of a boat but nothing happened for a good minute. =\

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll be testing it with my Saturn USB, so if that works, I can't see why your stick wouldn't.

Keep me informed! Would love to be able to play with my stick.

I just played the demo to the game and it was fun, but jumping with Circle and attacking with X was weird. I'd like to assume like IG's other ports the buttons can be reassigned. So yeah, default controls aside I can see myself picking this up soon.

Top Bottom