• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Tugatrix

What's Wally Pfister up to these days

giphy.gif

Regretting for all eternity

(he directed flake and the thick)

faridmon

If Nolan made movies like BFG, War Horse, Terminal, etc he would get heat from clowns like you way more than Spielberg does.

What?

I love all of the above, and I would actually rate Nolan higher if he done more lighthearted movies or even lower budget indie flicks.

The main problem I have with Nolan is that all his movies are just bloated mess that never fulfill their promises. a tighter inception movie would been amazing.

I have that problem with Scorsese movies as well.

At least Polanski actually tried that and made Carnage, Ghost Writer and Therapy which were all great to watch.

Jb

Reading some of the lite spoilers here, sounds like recent Nolan films, trying to bite off a bit too much and causing a packed last act with logic holes..

If they are logic holes I didn't notice them. It's probably the most meticulously constructed narrative Nolan's made since Memento (in fact it's the movie of his it reminded me of the most). It's not like the story multiplies the plot threads like TDK or TDKR. It's really simple but told in a very unique way.

It's basically a series of time bombs that he sets up and uses to keep the audience on edge. I actually think a lot of his fans from the Dark Knight and Inception aren't going to be too into it because there's so little character development and melodrama. Like others have said, it's pretty much "3rd act: the movie".

What?

I love all of the above, and I would actually rate Nolan higher if he done more lighthearted movies or even lower budget indie flicks.

The main problem I have with Nolan is that all his movies are just bloated mess that never fulfill their promises. a tighter inception movie would been amazing.

At least Polanski actually tried that and made Carnage, Ghost Writer and Therapy which were all great to watch.

No offence but this is a really unusual criticism of a director. "Maybe I would have liked Stanley Kubrick more if he had tried making more rom-coms".

I'm excited for this.

I wish I loved Nolan as much as some people do though, I thought Inception was a good movie but that's about all it was to me. Also wasn't the biggest fan of Interstellar or The Dark Knight Rises. Though, I think not many people argue much on the latter.

This movie looks beyond amazing though, will hopefully be off to see it soon.

Lima

Booked my tickets for Saturday for a IMAX showing at BFI in London. Now to book some cheap Ryan air tickets to fly to London on Friday and a place to stay. Oh and I guess I should tell my girlfriend we will be spending a weekend in London.

robotrock

Banned
Booked my tickets for Saturday for a IMAX showing at BFI in London. Now to book some cheap Ryan air tickets to fly to London on Friday and a place to stay. Oh and I guess I should tell my girlfriend we will be spending a weekend in London.
I wish I was your girlfriend

What time? Me and my friend are seeing it at the BFI IMAX on 12:45.

Lima

What time? Me and my friend are seeing it at the BFI IMAX on 12:45.

I booked the 23:45 showing as it was the only one that had decent tickets available still. Crazy how even the 10:00 showing is almost completely sold out.

50 quid for two tickets though. Fuck me.

I'm excited for this.

I wish I loved Nolan as much as some people do though, I thought Inception was a good movie but that's about all it was to me. Also wasn't the biggest fan of Interstellar or The Dark Knight Rises. Though, I think not many people argue much on the latter.

This movie looks beyond amazing though, will hopefully be off to see it soon.

I think he's on a certain path to becoming Apple, I see many similarities in some negative reactions towards him, lol.

robotrock

Banned
I booked the 23:45 showing as it was the only one that had decent tickets available still. Crazy how even the 10:00 showing is almost completely sold out.

50 quid for two tickets though. Fuck me.
Was really hard to get a seat there when TDKR came out. Earliest showing I could buy at the time of release was like an 11am Monday show. Worth it

faridmon

No offence but this is a really unusual criticism of a director. "Maybe I would have liked Stanley Kubrick more if he had tried making more rom-coms".

First of all, why does it have to be Rom-Coms? Also, what have you against Rom-Coms? are you saying that great Directors shouldn't do one?

Stanley Kubrick delivered with his short filmography, infact one could say that they were all tight, fulfilling experience with really precises directing, impeccable pace and just flat out deliberate production (well the ones I watched anyway), The shining was well realised film in a small contained setting, Space Odyssey felt like an epic Montage of discovery while Clockworrks attention to detail is secdond o none with, again, tight experience.

I wouldn't say the same for Nolan and his movies

Well Jeremy jahns didn't like it although he fully admits the picture and sound quality are top notch.
And gave it no rating. his ratings are usually spot on for me and so I am not in a rush to see it now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0K_dwdZU0
Apparently it's hard to feel anything for the characters. I hope it will click with me, the first time I saw Fury Road I had the same reaction... I just don't care about action if I don't feel anything. The second time I knew the characters and that made the movie shine for me.

Sean C

Didn't he get nominated for Lincoln.
I didn't say he wasn't nominated. But his films have never progressed beyond also-ran status.

Actually, the Lincoln nomination is a case in point. That was the year that the presumptive frontrunner and DGA winner, Ben Affleck, missed the Best Director category. As a result, Best Director was basically a contest between Spielberg and Ang Lee, and Spielberg had the more acclaimed film of the two. That was as clean as a shot as any to give Spielberg a third Best Director Oscar, which would have tied him with Frank Capra and William Wyler for the second-most wins ever in that category. They gave it to Ang Lee.

effzee

Early positive buzz, reactions from industry, and reviews (even top critics) is all propaganda and hyperbole folks!

You have to wait for GAF reviews ..."it doesn't hold up on the 8th watch!" and of course "if you slow it down and make a gif of it, you'll clearly see the extras were in no real danger!"

He gave Man of Steel an Awesometacular

hes dead to me
I have no idea who that person is, but anyone who gives that movie an "awesometacular" legitimately sounds like a shitty critic to me. That movie is aggressively mediocre and I couldn't even comprehend the idea of a solid argument to the contrary.

Cheebo

Banned
Well Jeremy jahns didn't like it although he fully admits the picture and sound quality are top notch.
And gave it no rating. his ratings are usually spot on for me and so I am not in a rush to see it now.

Blockbuster comic book film fanboy YouTuber or near universal praise from all major respected journalists.
Hmmm!

If you trust some fanboy type in YouTube like Jahns over actual movie critics then that is a major major mistake.

I have no idea who that person is, but anyone who gives that movie an "awesometacular" legitimately sounds like a shitty critic to me. That movie is aggressively mediocre and I couldn't even comprehend the idea of a solid argument to the contrary.
He isn't a critic. He is a nonsensical youtuber who doesn't really care about film, just the blockbuster nerd culture nonsense version of film.

He pretty much ONLY "reviews" big name blockbuster movies and geek culture shows.

reKon

Banned
I'm seeing this opening night but I'm really skeptical

i legit hated interstellar.. it single handedly ruined Christmas for me when it came out

also yeah the running time is appreciated.. sick of 3 hour blockbusters

The rest of your Christmas must have been pretty lit if this was the thing that "ruined it"

ExInferus

Blockbuster comic book film fanboy YouTuber or near universal praise from all major respected journalists.
Hmmm!

If you trust some fanboy type in YouTube like Jahns over actual movie critics then that is a major major mistake.

His taste generally does align with that of the general audience so I'm curious about this one

Cheebo

Banned
His taste generally does align with that of the general audience so I'm curious about this one
The general audience tends to go to super hero movies over dramas, you shouldn't expect your critic to only ever show interest in those movies. The fact this guy pretty much never reviews smaller releases, indie films, or really anything outside big budget studio films makes this guy a complete joke.

There is nothing wrong with geek culture but someone who isn't an actual film critic and typically only ever goes and shows interest in big studio blockbuster films is not someone you should ignore the critical consensus on and decide whether to see a film like this on.

It would be like relying on AO Scott of the the NYTimes film reviews on whether you should buy Splatoon 2 or not.

The Jahns guy isn't a real movie critic he is a youtuber who geeks out over comic book media, he isn't relevant here.

RangerX

Banned
I didn't think the first trailer looked great but the last one was really good. I'm feeling the hype now after these reviews.

ExInferus

The general audience tends to go to super hero movies over dramas, you shouldn't expect your critic to only ever show interest in those movies. The fact this guy pretty much never reviews smaller releases, indie films, or really anything outside big budget studio films makes this guy a complete joke.

true but I'm curious about the GA's reception of the movie especially considering the type of movie that it is and the genre

What?

Each his own, I know a lot of Nolan fans but I agree 100% with your sentiments, I also don't like his movies and think that they are style over substance but that is just my personal opinion.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I like Jermey, but his complaints on this actually makes me more exciting. When I saw the first trailer I thought it was going to be a personal story of father going to help his son. I am glad its not personal and there is no forced bonding scene.

1). Dunkirk evacuation wasnt about one person
2). There is no one hero
3). You cant cheer for one, they were all in the same fucked up situation
4). And there is no time to share personal life stuff when you are trapped on a sea shore surrounded by Nazi and time is literally running out

Iceman

To be fair to Jahns, his rating system is: dog$hit, alcohol required, no alcohol required, and awesometacular. That's pretty much it, unless he's added something new recently. For his unorthodox rating system, he thought MoS was better than something that doesn't require alcohol to enjoy.

At the other end of the spectrum you have "serious" critics who deduct points for every explosion or any moment that isn't seven layers of irony.

*for the record, I thought MoS was garbage -- and somehow Christopher Nolan has his named attached to that as well.

Daft_Cat

I like Jermey, but his complaints on this actually makes me more exciting. When I saw the first trailer I thought it was going to be a personal story of father going to help his son. I am glad its not personal and there is no forced bonding scene.

1). Dunkirk evacuation wasnt about one person
2). There is no one hero
3). You cant cheer for one, they were all in the same fucked up situation
4). And there is no time to share personal life stuff when you are trapped on a sea shore surrounded by Nazi and time is literally running out

Nail on head. Jeremy's a fun critic, but I think he should've sat on those criticisms a bit longer before posting that video. Honesty is important, but I'm sure a film like this requires multiple viewings and sober reflection. In my experience, that's been true of a lot of great movies - they don't always make the best first impression. Maybe that's why he didn't include a rating?

Top Bottom