• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

stryke

Too bad Imax Sydney is under renovation.

I'm not a war history buff but I'll definitely see it down the line for the cinematography.

Is there any way for me to find out what kind of Imax the one nearest to me is without calling them? Like any websites that list the type of screens / film shown?

I have no idea if the Imax near me offers 70mm or not

DMczaf

So.. GF doesn't watch films like this. I want to watch it.

How to make her come with me to watch this?

Tell her it's either Dunkirk or watching Arena Combat MMA

WindingNeighboringGordonsetter.gif

FTF

Is there any way for me to find out what kind of Imax the one nearest to me is without calling them? Like any websites that list the type of screens / film shown?

I have no idea if the Imax near me offers 70mm or not

On fandango or movietickets it should say 70mm IMAX...if not, it should just say IMAX.

On fandango or movietickets it should say 70mm IMAX...if not, it should just say IMAX.

Ok mine just says IMAX and not 70mm

Is it still worth seeing this in a regular IMAX theatre or should I just see it on a standard screen? Will the IMAX still be a big improvement?

Ashhong

So.. GF doesn't watch films like this. I want to watch it.

How to make her come with me to watch this?

If you're gf won't sit for less than 2 hours at a free movie after you told her you want her to go then get a new one

Is it still worth seeing this in a regular IMAX theatre or should I just see it on a standard screen? Will the IMAX still be a big improvement?

Absolutely

FTF

Yeah it's def worth it still, even if just for the better sound.

'Best film so far'? Wow impressive reviews. Interstellar and Inception were great, but I won't be seeing this movie. Happy for Nolan though.

What's another tier below 'crap'? Because that's what the usual suspects will be calling his Batman trilogy, once the adulation for Dunkirk starts building up.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just got out of a screening of this. I hate to say it because I love Nolan films but I honestly didn't like it very much.

I'm American so maybe this only effects me but I seriously had a very hard time understanding much of the dialogue. There were key moments where I was confused on what hell was going on because I couldn't understand anyone.

Some spoilerish impressions:

The different timelines were cool but man they got really confusing after a while. Things started feeling VERY redundant.

I liked Hans Zimmers score for the most part but it felt like so much of it was building towards some sort of climax and it rarely felt like anything significant came from the build up because the timelines would switch so often it was difficult to understand which part of the story I watching.

Was Tom Hardy supposed to be playing the part of the worst pilot in history lol? He definitely had some cool moments, but Christ I was getting frustrated watching him spend the entire movie shooting and missing? I really liked the other pilot though, dude reminded me of WWE's The Miz.

VERY frustrated with how the story of the civilian Moonstone rescue played out. Rylance's character pissed me off sooo bad. Literally didn't show any emotion over his own son being killed by one of the soldiers he rescued, Cilian Murphys character.

I gotta see it again. Those are just some quick thoughts on it. Definitely worth seeing.

No way! Love rewatching Interstellar
I have seen Interstellar at least 5 times since the beginning of the year, and I listen to the soundtrack regularly. One of the most epic movies I have ever seen, both visually, story-originality and soundtrack. When he is getting 5/5 for Dunkirk, then it is a must!

ERotIC

Banned
Just got out of a screening of this. I hate to say it because I love Nolan films but I honestly didn't like it very much.

I'm American so maybe this only effects me but I seriously had a very hard time understanding much of the dialogue. There were key moments where I was confused on what hell was going on because I couldn't understand anyone.

The different timelines were cool but man they got really confusing after a while. Things started feeling VERY redundant.

I liked Hans Zimmers score for the most part but it felt like so much of it was building towards some sort of climax and it rarely felt like anything significant came from the build up because the timelines would switch so often it was difficult to understand which part of the story I watching.

Was Tom Hardy supposed to be playing the part of the worst pilot in history lol? He definitely had some cool moments, but Christ I was getting frustrated watching him spend the entire movie shooting and missing? I really liked the other pilot though, dude reminded me of WWE's The Miz.

VERY frustrated with how the story of the civilian Moonstone rescue played out. Rylance's character pissed me off sooo bad. Literally didn't show any emotion over his own son being killed by one of the soldiers he rescued, Cilian Murphys character.

I gotta see it again. Those are just some quick thoughts on it. Definitely worth seeing.

Thanks for your input, man! I'm avoiding the spoilers but appreciate your feedback.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just saw it, this movie has minimal dialog, beautiful shots and minimal character development. It is just OK.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm guessing this movie is not only like Fury Road (in some respects), but it's gonna have a reception with the general public like Fury Road too. Some people just aren't gonna be in to what it's doing.

I'm guessing this movie is not only like Fury Road (in some respects), but it's gonna have a reception with the general public like Fury Road too. Some people just aren't gonna be in to what it's doing.

I think it's going to be more like a Gravity situation where it ends up having serious legs due to strong word of mouth. Fury Road made all its money up front and everyone who saw it was already sold on the movie before it came out. I dont think Dunkirk is going to be very devisive with general audiences. I think most people are going to love it.

Charcoal

Regarding Tom, the RAF was widely criticized after the fact for not doing enough to support the men on the ground. And for the most part, the Luftwaffe had air superiority to begin with, which made it that much more difficult.

ezekial45

Banned
Just got out, and I really enjoyed. I still need to chew on it a bit more, but I can safely say that it's one of my favorite movies this year. It went by at a really brisk pace, which is odd for a Nolan movie, but it worked for this one considering how intense it was. That quote from EW is a bit over blown, though.

I'll agree with the poster above on how
confusing it got with the different timelines. I really liked it at first, but then the final act got a bit too hectic and jarring, which took me out of it.
Much like every other Nolan movie, I fully expect someone to make an infograph of the Dunkirk timeline.

Anyway,These are just some quick thoughts, I'll add more later. I really dug it all in all. And yeah, Nolan has totally got the best director Oscar on lock.

I think it's going to be more like a Gravity situation where it ends up having serious legs due to strong word of mouth. Fury Road made all its money up front and everyone who saw it was already sold on the movie before it came out. I dont think Dunkirk is going to be very devisive with general audiences. I think most people are going to love it.

Fury Road had good legs relatively. It tripled its opening weekend gross and then some which isn't easy for a lot of films in this era.

It's just that Gravity was in a different stratosphere.

I'd expect Dunkirk will be somewhere between the two, but closer to Fury Road.

Looks like opinion are already divisive in this thread on this movie so despite stellar reviews, I don't expect it to have Gravity legs. It should still pass 150 million and might do more worldwide.

M.W.

Looks like opinion are already divisive in this thread on this movie so despite stellar reviews, I don't expect it to have Gravity legs. It should still pass 150 million and might do more worldwide.

People will go into this expecting certain war movie tropes and they are not present here. It's gonna split the audience, that's for sure. I don't see a BO darling.

Also saw a screening . I thought it was pretty brilliant and with war movie fatigue was as refreshing as it could get . The jumps could be jarring since it's a frantic film as a whole but I think it adds to the suspense.

One thing is it wasn't an IMAX screening and boy it really does call to be seen in an immersive screen like that . At the same time if you see it IMAX first then regular screen you'll definitely not appreciate the same. I'm sure I'll have a different experience once I see it in IMAX

Man the voices thing is a bummer.

When was the last Nolan film that didn't have this problem? The audio mix in all his films just seems to be flawed. I know Interstellar had issues with music overpowering speech and when Michael Caine's character whispers his last words I swear to God I had to skip back on the Blu Ray 10 times before I could make it out. And the entire opening sequence of TDKR was reworked from what I saw in the 7 min preview, Bane's voice got totally altered.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
^^yeah man it was a pretty big problem for me and my buddy who I saw this with. A lot of it sounded very fast and mumbled and I felt like an old man leaning in and tilting my head to the side trying to hear some of the fucking dialogue lol. It was pretty rough at times. Had the exact same problem with that movie The Witch. I hate not being able to understand dialogue and even though this is a movie where speaking sort of takes a back seat, it still bothered the shit outta me.

Forgot to mention I did see this in an IMAX setting. Absolutely insane visuals/sound effects. This was by far the loudest movie I have ever experienced in a theatre. My ears were still ringing walking out of there. Seeing it in an IMAX is 100% worth the extra $$$ you'd be paying to see it.

Also, I gotta say, Harry Styles did a damn fine job. Dude has some acting chops for sure. He had one the better performances in the entire movie tbh. The two younger actors on the moonstone were also very good.

I really wish Hardy was cast in a different role though. Hes easily one of my favorite actors today but thinking about it, this is probably my least favorite roll of his, at least that I've seen. Felt like a waste, he deserved a better role imo

Soooo many amazing shots though, the cinematography and the overall look of the film was on a completely new level. It somehow felt at times like I was watching one of those older war movies from back in the 60's or so but they made it feel and look very fucking real.

Couple more quick/spoilerish positives:

I really liked that you never see a single Nazi soldier. All you see/hear is gunfire or bombs being dropped. The Nazi planes are really the only time I recall even seeing a visible enemy and I really liked that

Another thing I liked was that this movie might have had the least amount of gore I've ever seen in war movie. I can think of maybe two scenes that have a little blood in it. I thought that was pretty cool and a unique approach to take.

And for fun, here be my Nolan rankings

Memento > The Dark Knight > The Prestige > Inception > Batman Begins > Interstellar > Dunkirk > Insomnia > Following > Dark Knight Rises

God king Nolan does it again.

A NINE average, that's nuts, way better than I thought it would sit at (figured it'd be low maybe mid 90's RT% with an 8-ish score).

Top Bottom