• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Mumei

I am trying to convince my parents that they want to go see the movie at the IMAX screen at the State Museum.

With 33 reviews clocked in on MC. Only three movies in the last 20 years have a higher score so far.

One of those is coming out later this year, and only has 11 reviews so far. No guarantee that it stays higher, though I am hoping that the reviews stay as positive since I really liked the book.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Not a single Rotten director rating for Nolan. Worst rated 76% (Prestige), highest rated 95%.

Nolan Bond pls.

The Prestige entered my Top Five GOAT movies the second I finished it in theaters. It hasn't left that list since, even after a dozen+ viewings. I adore that film. I like all of Nolan's filmography; but none of them come even close to the perfection that is that film.

I don't know how it sits at only 76% :(

duckroll

The Prestige entered my Top Five GOAT movies the second I finished it in theaters. It hasn't left that list since, even after a dozen+ viewings. I adore that film. I like all of Nolan's filmography; but none of them come even close to the perfection that is that film.

Prestige is a great film because it is a bold film. It's not easy or convenient, and there is no heroism in it at all. It's a character study more than anything else. That makes it divisive.

Robot Pants

It's so god damn good. My #2

Nightfall

I love Nolan Films and I have no doubts that this is a fantastic movie, but... I just can't stand WW2 films.
And not even Nolan can make me watch another WW2 story.
Anybody feeling similar?

Got tickets for next Thursday, 70 mm screen. They actually upgraded one of the theatres here for 70 mm for this movie.

Gonna be a long wait, it opens here today.

I love Nolan Films and I have no doubts that this is a fantastic movie, but... I just can't stand WW2 films.
And not even Nolan can make me watch another WW2 story.
Anybody feeling similar?
By film genre it doesn't even appear to be a "typical WWII film" as far as I can tell.

Also, it seems pretty weird to not be able to tolerate any WWII films at all, when there's a great deal of diversity among films using that setting. Like, how far does your blacklist extend? Allied? Inglorious Basterds? The First Avenger?

I am trying to convince my parents that they want to go see the movie at the IMAX screen at the State Museum.
Remind them that they can choose their seats there so they don't need to spend a lot of time waiting in line for good seats. And that it is one of 20 something places in the world that will have the 70mm IMAX.

Nightfall

By film genre it doesn't even appear to be a "typical WWII film" as far as I can tell.

Also, it seems pretty weird to not be able to tolerate any WWII films at all, when there's a great deal of diversity among films using that setting. Like, how far does your blacklist extend? Allied? Inglorious Basterds? The First Avenger?

That's actually a pretty good question. I don't like the setting, the look of it. May it be Saving Private Ryan or some Call of Duty or whatever.
So when I think about it... I guess it comes down to realistic depictions of WW2. Captain America or Inglorious Basterds don't fall in that category. I like them both.

I guess it is some kind of oversaturation. Here in Germany it starts in history lessons at school, where it's of course a very important topic. So you get confronted with that theme and peroid over and over again.
Then all of those movies and TV shows, documentarys and so on. So over many many years this is a setting I got bored of. It's been seen a thousand times and it's seldom something different or outstanding (like IB for example).

So while I still think this is probably a fantastic movie, the setting just turns me off and makes me not want to see it.

I hope this makes my thought process a bit more clear.

breakfuss

That's actually a pretty good question. I don't like the setting, the look of it. May it be Saving Private Ryan or some Call of Duty or whatever.
So when I think about it... I guess it comes down to realistic depictions of WW2. Captain America or Inglorious Basterds don't fall in that category. I like them both.

I guess it is some kind of oversaturation. Here in Germany it starts in history lessons at school, where it's of course a very important topic. So you get confronted with that theme and peroid over and over again.
Then all of those movies and TV shows, documentarys and so on. So over many many years this is a setting I got bored of. It's been seen a thousand times and it's seldom something different or outstanding (like IB for example).

So while I still think this is probably a fantastic movie, the setting just turns me off and makes me not want to see it.

I hope this makes my thought process a bit more clear.

I'm the same way and understand what you mean. Just something about the period and setting that doesn't interest me in the least unless it's done extremely well. Still going to see this because it's Nolan but meh.

wow, starting to be convinced Nolan sold his soul to Satan. So consistent, so good.
Satan has sold his soul to give Nolan the gift of filmmaking so he can see more of his movies.

Seeing this tomorrow night and again tuesday next week with diff people. Don't let me down Nolan. Not a huge fan of WW movies or movies that don't focus on characters, but it's Nolan so I must.

Can't believe The Prestige is at 76%.
19a83296c996e86f2822256e92ae7c6b.jpg

One of the best movies ever made.

EDIT: Also give Jahns a bit of a break lol.. yeah, he's not some serious film critic and you guys are burying him. He's just some dude that talks about movies, and has the personality to attract a ton of people. What's worse is some cringe criticism from 'legit' rotten reviews like the dumbass who claims this movie is a response to Nolan responding to critics lmao..

Jimrpg

It's my number 1.

Jb

The RT rating system is designed to reward the films with the broadest general appeal, not the best or the boldest.
I really wish people would stop obsessing over it the way the gaming industry obsesses over MC.

I find it funny when some people take it personal when a movie they are hyped for doesnt get 100% critical acclaim. In the end it's your own personal opinion if you liked it what matter anyway.

Also i find it useful to listen to critics from both sides of the spectrum, even if i like the film after viewing it.

Nibel

- Guy makes videos where he criticizes movies
- "He's no critic tho lol"

I swear Youtubers convincing people that they are their own thing and disconnected from the "system" is pure genius 💀

You'll find out how serious he is about being a critic the second YouTube starts fucking with his money.

His position as a film critic will become serious as colon cancer in less than a second.

I respect Jahns opinion. Not everyone gonna like every movie. They are entertainment.

Also i can see why because this is the first time with a Nolan movie im just whatever gonna see it but im not really hype for it.

That's what film critics are in large part. Dudes who talk about movies.

He's a "serious film critic" whether he acknowledges it or not.

- Guy makes videos where he criticizes movies
- "He's no critic tho lol"

I swear Youtubers convincing people that they are their own thing and disconnected from the "system" is pure genius ��
Yall are ultimately right. I just don't consider his opinion to have that much weight (pretty sure he gave something like age of ultron highest rating lmao). He also reviews pretty much only the biggest or shittiest movies, so I don't go to him for critical reviews, merely basic entertainment.

Jahns is basically like the MCU movies, you go there for your typical holly action flick, enjoy it and move on to never care for ever again. If you want something more meaningful or in depth, you look elsewhere. Still enjoy him a bunch mind you and continue to watch him, but I always keep that in mind. He's a pretty charismatic dude that also seems like a good guy overall, so I'm cool with him. I read one of the rotten reviews, and that review at least just sounds like such pretentious tripe, I don't know if I should laugh or cringe. I can respect Jahns even when I disagree with him, because he's not full of shit. You know how he is and what to expect from him, he's at least honest.

I can respect Jahns even when I disagree with him, because he's not full of shit. You know how he is and what to expect from him, he's at least honest.

And yeah, this is basically how all critics are supposed to work: You don't read one solely because you agree with them all the time. You read (or watch) them because a) they entertain you with how they explain their opinions and b) you get a sense for how/why they think the way they do.

It provides you a great measuring stick for your own potential experiences. That's how film criticism has always been meant to work. I mean, it can be something as simple as "Just tell me if I should spend money on it," but it should be helping provide you with a sort of barometer for your own expectations, and that barometer becomes a lot more accurate the more familiar you become with a critic.

It's not whether you agree or disagree with them - it's how you're agreeing or disagreeing that gives you the best idea as to whether you're gonna get something out of the film.

If that's how it works w/ you & Jahns, then Jahns is doing his job.

Mrbob

My parents, who I don't think have ever seen a Nolan movie, want to see Dunkirk. Nolan going for an older demographic this time.

Stephanie Zacharek from Times who normally dislikes Nolan films said it was a masterpiece.

So there is still hope for the Nolan haters out there to enjoy it.

molnizzle

The great tragedy of our time.

Prestige is in my all-time top 5 as well.

What's your guys' strats for picking seats in an imax? Dead center or a little offset? I went dead center of the row then back a couple rows for a fuller view.

Alright folks, rank your favorite Nolan films. My personal rankings are as such:

1. The Prestige
2. Inception
3. The Dark Knight
4. Interstellar
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't seen Following or Insomnia yet.

The RT rating system is designed to reward the films with the broadest general appeal, not the best or the boldest.
I really wish people would stop obsessing over it the way the gaming industry obsesses over MC.

10000000%.
The obsession with scores needs to gtfo. As does saying anything you like a lot is 'GOAT'.

Yes, i write this on NeoGaf...

Alright folks, rank your favorite Nolan films. My personal rankings are as such:

1. The Prestige
2. Inception
3. The Dark Knight
4. Interstellar
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't seen Following or Insomnia yet.
1-2. Inception
1-2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. Interstellar
5. Memento
6. Batman Begins
7. Dark Knight Rises

If I rewatch the bottom 4 again, who knows how I will feel. :\ Can't choose between the first two, both masterpieces. Need to watch Following. Memento is greatness, issue I had originally was the first half was boring. Maybe on rewatch it will be better.

1. Inception
2. Memento
3. The Prestige
4. The Dark Knight
5. Interstellar
6. Insomnia
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Following

Top 5 are gr8, 6 and 7 are v gd, 8 and 9 are gd

Sotha_Sil

1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. Interstellar
4. The Prestige
5. Insomnia
6. Batman Begins
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Memento

Have not seen The Following. Memento never clicked with me.

My list would probably look like this (but my list constantly changes depending on the day)

1.The Dark Knight
2.Inception
3.Batman Begins
4.Memento
5.The Prestige
6. Insomnia
7.The Dark Knight Rises
8.Interstellar
9.Following

I watched it once and enjoyed it. But never gotten around to seeing it again.

I think people should give it another shot. At the time it got downgraded because it wasn't as out-there as Memento, if I remember right. I wonder how it would play now. It's like this... thing that is part of his filmography, but somehow outside of it, partially because it's a remake, and partially because it just kinda quietly got lost in the fog (eh? EH?)

But Nolan directing Pacino and Williams should be worth another look, definitely.

(also, the first time I remember hearing the "What has two thumbs and loves ________? THIS GUYYYYY" joke, courtesy Nicky Katt)

Top Bottom