• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
1AB.) Inception
1AB.) The Dark Knight
2.) The Prestige
3.) Interstellar
4.) Batman Begins
5.) Memento
6.) The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't watched Insomnia or Following. Inception is probably my favorite movie experience ever. Just because of what was going on at that time in my life, I went and watched it with my brother in a packed theatre and I was blown away by how brilliant the movie was. The whole audience had a collective gasp at the ending.

molnizzle

Sometimes 1 and 2 might be swapped, depending on my mood.

1. Interstellar
2. The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight
4. Inception
5. Memento
6. Batman Begins
7. Insomnia
8. The Dark Knight Rises

The RT rating system is designed to reward the films with the broadest general appeal, not the best or the boldest.
I really wish people would stop obsessing over it the way the gaming industry obsesses over MC.

10000000%.
The obsession with scores needs to gtfo. As does saying anything you like a lot is 'GOAT'.

Yes, i write this on NeoGaf...

Eh, while I understand your point, what you're saying really doesn't hold true.

Some of the best, and boldest, films in the history of cinema are reflected very well on Rotten Tomatoes:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: 95%
2001: A Space Odyssey: 94%
Dr. Strangelove: 99%
Apocalypse Now: 97%
A Clockwork Orange: 90%
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: 97%
Goodfellas: 97%
There Will Be Blood: 91%
Taxi Driver: 99%
Children of Men: 92%

etc.. etc..

Yet some of the biggest, most broadly appealing films that many still hold dearly aren't reviewed nearly as well:

Independence Day: 60%
Home Alone: 56%
Pirates of the Caribbean: 79%
Forrest Gump: 72%
Twister: 57%

I think it's false to say that Rotten Tomatoes only rewards films with the broadest general appeal. That would imply that the highest rated films on the site would also be the most watered down and trying to please everyone. That simply isn't true.

I really like Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Can't really put them in order, The Prestige is Nolan's The Conversation though.

Still haven't seen Following and his other four movies don't really hold up on repeated viewings for me, let's put it that way.

Ralemont

not me
Dark Knight
Prestige
Dark Knight Rises (will forever love this movie for giving me the Bane voice)
Batman Begins
Inception
Interstellar
Memento
Insomnia

Guzim

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Memento
5. Interstellar
6. Batman Begins
7. Inception
8. Insomnia
9. Following

effzee

1. The Prestige
2. Inception
3. Batman Begins
4. The Dark Knight
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Interstellar
7. Momento
8. Insomnia

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Posted this a few pages back but I'll add it again with some personal scores

1. Memento 5/5
2. The Dark Knight 5/5
3. The Prestige 5/5
4. Inception 4/5
5. Batman Begins 3.5/5
6. Interstellar 3/5
7. Dunkirk 2.5/5
8. Insomnia 2/5
9. Following 2/5
10. Dark Knight Rises 2/5

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Inception/Interstellar (tie for me)
4. The Dark Knight
5. Batman Begins
6. The Dark Knight Rises

I haven't seen Insomnia.

Prompto

Banned
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
Batman Begins
Memento
The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't seen Interstellar or Insomnia

whoszed

Just saw Dunkirk, and I liked it but... it was not what I was expecting. It was a very simple, straightforward movie. Very much unlike Interstellar in that regard. But the thing that I felt was missing was a heart to the story. Ultimately, Dunkirk left me with a rather cold, indifferent feeling. It was full of tension but the story was missing an anchor that would hook you in.

I still think it's a good movie and incredibly well made. But it did not exactly meet my expectations, and is not among my favorite Nolan movies.

Rhoc

1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. Interstellar
4. Memento
5. Batman Begins
6. The Pestige
7. Insomnia
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Following

Damn. Some people putting interstellar ABOVE Dunkirk?
As someone who hates interstellar, that isn't good.
That's not that works. It says less about Dunkirk than it does illustrate a difference in opinion on Interstellar.

Just saw Dunkirk, and I liked it but... it was not what I was expecting. It was a very simple, straightforward movie. Very much unlike Interstellar in that regard. But the thing that I felt was missing was a heart to the story. Ultimately, Dunkirk left me with a rather cold, indifferent feeling. It was full of tension but the story was missing an anchor that would hook you in.

I still think it's a good movie and incredibly well made. But it did not exactly meet my expectations, and is not among my favorite Nolan movies.
That was kind of intentional though. Think of the detached this-is-how-it-happened tone of United 93.

Haha there has been a lukewarm review from someone here that it wasn't straight forward enough with its jump in timeline and now there is one where someone thinks its too straight forward.

Opinions...

d00d3n

Has Tom Hardy commented on the fact that he wears comically over-sized masks for most of the running time in his three biggest movies?

Icolin

Banned
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises (I will defend this movie until the day I die)
4. Memento
5. Inception
6. The Prestige
7. Interstellar
8. Insomnia
9. Following

Lol this is a Nolan ranking thread now?

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins
4. Inception
5. The Prestige
6. Interstellar
7. Memento
8. Insomnia

Haven't seen Following yet, but it's on Netflix now so I will soon.

bud

seeing this on friday. the trailers didn't do anything for me, but all the reviews have gotten me excited.

Just ordered 2 IMAX 70mm tickets for $22.35 each for Saturday at 11pm.

I'm wondering if I should downgrade to a regular theatre at Sunday afternoon for $5.50 each.

What should I pick?

Oooh! List thread!

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Inception
4. The Dark Knight
5. Interstellar
6. Batman Begins
7. Insomnia
8. The Dark Knight Rises

Just ordered 2 IMAX 70mm tickets for $23.50 for Saturday at 11pm.

I'm wondering if I should downgrade to a regular theatre at Sunday afternoon for $5.50.

What should I pick?

That's like saying, "I've got a chance to drive through the Alps in an Aston Martin, or in a Hyundai Ellantra. Which should I pick?"

Go see it in 70mm, yo!

^^yeah man it was a pretty big problem for me and my buddy who I saw this with. A lot of it sounded very fast and mumbled and I felt like an old man leaning in and tilting my head to the side trying to hear some of the fucking dialogue lol. It was pretty rough at times. Had the exact same problem with that movie The Witch. I hate not being able to understand dialogue and even though this is a movie where speaking sort of takes a back seat, it still bothered the shit outta me.

Forgot to mention I did see this in an IMAX setting. Absolutely insane visuals/sound effects. This was by far the loudest movie I have ever experienced in a theatre. My ears were still ringing walking out of there. Seeing it in an IMAX is 100% worth the extra $$$ you'd be paying to see it.

The bolded has me very cautious. Last time I went to the IMAX by me I feel like it fucked my ears up.

ezekial45

Banned
1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Begins
5. Interstellar
6. Dunkirk
7. Insomnia
8. Following
9. The Dark Knight Rises

Has Tom Hardy commented on the fact that he wears comically over-sized masks for most of the running time in his three biggest movies?

Are they comically oversized when they don't even cover his entire face?

I think it's actually a testament to his expressive body language and emotive eyes that directors are comfortable letting him helm a major portion of a picture with his mouth covered up.

smisk

Read the Vox article about the different formats Dunkirk is coming out on. 70mm IMAX isn't an option unless I want to drive an hour to Baltimore. I think I'll go to the laser IMAX theater at the Udvar-Hazy Center.
Is film vs digital really that noticeable? I think it's kinda cool, but I saw Hateful Eight in 70mm and thought it looked good but I definitely wasn't blown away. And aren't all films processed and edited digitally anyway?
Maybe if I really like it and feel like wasting money I'll see it a second time in 70mm.

wazoo

Eh, while I understand your point, what you're saying really doesn't hold true.

Some of the best, and boldest, films in the history of cinema are reflected very well on Rotten Tomatoes:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: 95%
2001: A Space Odyssey: 94%
Dr. Strangelove: 99%
Apocalypse Now: 97%
A Clockwork Orange: 90%
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: 97%
Goodfellas: 97%
There Will Be Blood: 91%
Taxi Driver: 99%
Children of Men: 92%

etc.. etc..

I would be careful of the revisionism critics for very old movies.

For example, The Thing is at 82% on RT. The movie was trashed to the max when it was released in 82.

BeeDog

Just came back from a (regular) 70mm showing. Excellent movie, very impactful and absorbing despite completely lacking any deep characterization. All the talk about the movie being "close to a silent movie" is bullshit though; I expected a line or two here and there, but characters were quite verbose, especially later in the movie. Visually, it's a very well-made and classic-styled movie, which I presume is because of the vast amounts of practical effects. Oh, and it's probably the loudest movie I've ever seen at the cinema, good lord.

Read the Vox article about the different formats Dunkirk is coming out on. 70mm IMAX isn't an option unless I want to drive an hour to Baltimore. I think I'll go to the laser IMAX theater at the Udvar-Hazy Center.
Is film vs digital really that noticeable? I think it's kinda cool, but I saw Hateful Eight in 70mm and thought it looked good but I definitely wasn't blown away. And aren't all films processed and edited digitally anyway?
Maybe if I really like it and feel like wasting money I'll see it a second time in 70mm.

I think the laser IMAX is the 2nd best option despite being digital. Really high resolution and can display the film at the original aspect ratio. Plus the sound

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
He was so damn good in The Revenant.

My man. It's definitely my favorite performance of his.

His role in Dunkirk bummed me out but I really need to see it again. Literally knowing nothing about he movie aside from it being set in WW2 might have thrown me off a bit. I think this might be a film I'll like more on a second viewing but as of now i still feel a bit let down

The bolded has me very cautious. Last time I went to the IMAX by me I feel like it fucked my ears up.

I've seen probably 20 movies in an IMAX setting and I'm telling ya nothing comes close to how loud this was. I mean I love that kinda shit and my ears felt fine a short while after leaving but my god, I've never experienced anything like that watching a movie. Someone brought their super young kids to the screener and they were covering up their ears most of the time lol

Ricky_R

8.9/10 average rating. Guess this movie is garbage after all.

PlainRegularCub.gif

Ashhong

Just ordered 2 IMAX 70mm tickets for $22.35 each for Saturday at 11pm.

I'm wondering if I should downgrade to a regular theatre at Sunday afternoon for $5.50 each.

What should I pick?

22.35....each or total? Either way DON'T downgrade. Just wondering how you got IMAX tickets so cheap

zoukka

Interstellar
Memento
TDK
Dunkirk

That might be how my top-4 now looks. Need to see Prestige again soon since I've only seen it once.

Just came back from an early screening.

Technically it is an amazing film. Nolan+Zimmer are just the kings of bombastic sound and the score is basically constant throughout the film and heavily mixed with air sirens, gun fire and stopwatch sounds, which really brings a heavy sense of urgency to everything that is happening on screen. Planes and especially bombs ripped through the theater like we were there and the shot of sudden shots are used to great effect.

Plot wise what's there is good, but it isn't a film that's going to be studied for years for it's characters or symbolism like some of Nolans best films. The acting is good and everything works, but there isn't a lot there when you think about it. I suppose that makes sense since the event and the british people are the stars here, rather than a single character and the movie simply doesn't have the mind fuckery Nolan is usually known for.

The Tarrantino-esque (for lack of a better word) time jumps and diverging story lines work pretty well, but knowing they are coming would probably be an advantage, overwise some early parts gets a bit confusing, but that might just be me.

Overall it's a great film especially in a large theater setting, but below some of Nolans best work, IMO. I would probably rate Memento, Dark Knight, The Prestige and Inception above it in the Nolan pantheon.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Prestige
4. Memento
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Memento
7. Inception
8. Interstellar
9. Insomnia
10. Following

Top Bottom