• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

Dr Dogg

I had regular dips to 53 fps every two seconds the firt time I started the game. Both in cinematics and real time.

Second time I used GeDoSaTo and not only that fix the 720p cap, but the dips too.

I'm still waiting for my download to finish (not that matters as I'm stuck in work anyway) but that's good to know.

KainXVIII

It ran somewhat okay, with some loading issues on certain setups and a lot of terrible features left over from the console version (bad FOV, no AA, heavy texture pop in).

Thankfully most of these problems can easily be fixed.
Yep, its UE3 game, so no problems for me.

So I just want to confirm that NOBODY running at their native res has a steady, smooth 60 both in and out of battles, right?

Everyone has that stuttering. Durante even mentions it in his post about the game, it has to do with the way the game buffers. Not sure if he can even do anything about it.

Very annoying.

Not everyone. I have no stuttering at my native res. It is 60 FPS 100% of the time. At 4k the only time it dips below 60 is when it dips to 50 during the transitions in and out of battle. It's a rock solid 60 FPS inside battle, during cutscenes, and in the field. As for specs, I have a 3930k @ 4.6ghz and 3 680s, though I'm pretty sure the game is only using one of them. At 4k, GPU usage gets up to ~70-80%.

Christhor

I don't understand why these games are locked to 720p? Like if one guy can change it so that's not the case what is the reason SE did that? The "lazy" excuse is way too simple, they have hundreds of people there and it presumably took this guy less than a day to do this. Is it because they thought unlocking it would create errors in other areas? I'm interested in a reason that's something other than "they're lazy" or "they're dumb".

They probably figured that the steam gamers would fix it anyway, so why bother doing it themselves?

So the framerate drops could be related to controller issues? Gotta try with my 360 controller or keyboard when I'm home, I played it with my XBOX One controller yesterday.

Tizoc

FF3 and FF4 are terrible ports as well.
15 fps lock (in battles, 30 fps lock elsewhere).
No texture filtering, none at all
Touch UI
That weird Subtitles: 1 2 3 4 5 6 dialog

While I'll agree FF4 is a weak/terrible port, I'm still able to run it fine and the actual game is good. If you liked FF4 then you'll like this port, if you can look past the technical stuff.

Durante

I had regular dips to 53 fps every two seconds the firt time I started the game. Both in cinematics and real time.

Second time I used GeDoSaTo and not only that fix the 720p cap, but the dips too.
I think a large part of the issues people are seeing with no mods are related to underutilization.

Paradoxically, the closer you get to your GPUs limits in terms of resolution, the more even the frame delivery becomes, at least for me. At high downsampling levels I'm reliably between 50-60 FPS, which is totally fine for me.

Tizoc

I think a large part of the issues people are seeing with no mods are related to underutilization.

Paradoxically, the closer you get to your GPUs limits in terms of resolution, the more even the frame delivery becomes, at least for me. At high downsampling levels I'm reliably between 50-60 FPS, which is totally fine for me.

I am trash at this kind of lingo but the best I could try to understand this is, that the game and GPU aren't 'communicating data' properly and as such the GPU doesn't make the game perform as well as it should? Like there are 'cables' that if connected this game will run much better?

Thoraxes

I don't understand why these games are locked to 720p? Like if one guy can change it so that's not the case what is the reason SE did that? The "lazy" excuse is way too simple, they have hundreds of people there and it presumably took this guy less than a day to do this. Is it because they thought unlocking it would create errors in other areas? I'm interested in a reason that's something other than "they're lazy" or "they're dumb".

I feel like they just didn't know any better. It's good that people are making sure the message is heard loud and clear because communication is the best way to fix things. That way they can learn for the other two games (hopefully).

Alasfree

I am pretty sure the MSI Afterburner overlay is what is causing the framerate to drop to 30 on my 7850. I have a hotkey set to disable the overlay and when i hit it the framerate clearly jumps up, and i can see the framerate drop as soon i re-enable the overlay.
Might just be my case, so, can anyone else with an AMD gpu test this?

Cerity

I am trash at this kind of lingo but the best I could try to understand this is, that the game and GPU aren't 'communicating data' properly and as such the GPU doesn't make the game perform as well as it should? Like there are 'cables' that if connected this game will run much better?

Let's use a car analogy.

Your GPU (and/or CPU) puts itself into say, 2nd gear because it detects that it doesn't need to be in 4th or 5th. When the game demands, your GPU will kick into 4th or 5th. But there's a moment inbetween where the game is getting intensive and the GPU not realising it yet. So it kind of floors out in 2nd gear until it changes.

Zexen

I am pretty sure the MSI Afterburner overlay is what is causing the framerate to drop to 30 on my 7850. I have a hotkey set to disable the overlay and when i hit it the framerate clearly jumps up, and i can see the framerate drop as soon i re-enable the overlay.
Might just be my case, so, can anyone else with an AMD gpu test this?
For me, the game simply crashes when Afterburner/RivaTuner is activated. Forced to turn it off or to put it on 0 detection level.

So I don't really know much about your problem, sorry.

Alasfree

For me, the game simply crashes when Afterburner/RivaTuner is activated. Forced to turn it off or to put it on 0 detection level.

So I don't really know much about your problem, sorry.
Yeah, never mind what i said. It doesn't crash for me but it's very inconsistent. The game does what it want with framerate regardless of overlay/resolution/AA settings.

Dr Dogg

Well finally got this downloaded and fired up and outside the common issues (lack of options and really grim shadow striping) I can't say I've encounter the issues some are saying. I've only launched this with GeDoSaTo so don't know what it's like vanilla but I'm getting a pretty consistent 16ms update with only a massive 50ms+ spike when tutorials pop up. Disabling VSync via Nvidia control panel leaves a lovely static tear line due to being capped to 60 but no more erratic than the default behavior with Vsync enabled. Still initial assessments and all, it could go to shit anytime soon.

Still going by the first area, performance though is ridiculous. At 3840x2160 on a 780 only get's to 40-60% usage just using the core clock frequency and not even triggering boost. I Imagine the more open areas will be way more taxing.

That pretty much has been the case with me on a couple of other titles in the past. For me Watch_Dogs at launch was unbearable at 1920x1080, much more enjoyable at 2560x1440 and even SLI sorted itself out at 3840x2160. It was only at full utilization that frame delivery didn't drive me up the wall.

MaLDo

I always have cpu cores unparked, power states flags disabled in bios and power performance preset in gpu drivers.

Those dips were in prerendered cinematics too.

Now I'm thinking that maybe in the first run of the game I started it without turning on my controller.

Baleoce

Code:
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
#renderResolution 5120x2880@60

So do I write my monitors highest / desired resolution / framerate next to "clearRenderResolutions" ? (in my case "1920x1080@60")

Also what does "presentInterval -1" do?

Anteater

well i decided to uncap my framerate to see how it runs at 1920x1080 (i5 3570k@4.1ghz, 760gtx), most of the time it keeps slowing down to 58fps when running around while sometimes dropping lower. In combat I have this weird issue of the framerate dropping straight to 30fps as soon as I start spamming magic, and I have vsync forced off with nvidia inspector (I see tearing so I suppose it's working).

At higher resolutions my framerate don't really drop below 30fps either so capping it makes sense, but I'm not sure I understand why there's a framerate drop.

golem09

Neo Member
Code:
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
#renderResolution 5120x2880@60

So do I write my monitors highest / desired resolution / framerate next to "clearRenderResolutions" ? (in my case "1920x1080@60")

Also what does "presentInterval -1" do?

No, your monitor resolution is set up in the main ini file of gedaosato, and is usually detected automatically.
The -1 value is from the vsync opion, the explanations for that are in the main ini as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
well i decided to uncap my framerate to see how it runs at 1920x1080 (i5 3570k@4.1ghz, 760gtx), most of the time it keeps slowing down to 58fps when running around while sometimes dropping lower. In combat I have this weird issue of the framerate dropping straight to 30fps as soon as I start spamming magic, and I have vsync forced off with nvidia inspector (I see tearing so I suppose it's working).

At higher resolutions my framerate don't really drop below 30fps either so capping it makes sense, but I'm not sure I understand why there's a framerate drop.

Uncap how? Please help :(

Baleoce

weird. the game won't even start up for me. it shows the FFXIII config menu "full screen or windowed, sound settings english or japanese". i hit start game. and nothing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ugh i mean capped at 60fps :p

I was running at 30fps before because I couldn't get it to run at a smooth 60fps, lol, so I "uncapped" it to test it again at lower res.
No I mean, how did you even get 60fps with Durantes mod :( For me it's still capped at 30

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Uncap how? Please help :(

Just to test if it is that your PC can't handle it, first make sure you go in the Nvidia Control Panel and turn off any AA tweaks you may have forced for the game before GeDo came out, then in GeDoSaTo set FFXII's render resolution to something like 1440x810@60. If it hits 60, then move up ti 1600x900@60, and if it hits 60, then move up to 1920x1080@60.

If you can't hit 60 on any of those, then there may be some issue with the way you've got it all set up.

Durante

I'm still at work, but has anyone tried GeDoSaTo texture dumping/replacement with FFXIII?

I really want higher-res font textures.

kick51

Banned
I'm gonna try to keep pushing my card harder on the game with GeDoSaTo a little bit today before completely giving up. but this frame rate crap needs a patch (which seems like the last thing this game will get.) Not sure how people can get their modern enthusiast cards to put out full power but I can't seem to push my GTX 570 at all, despite maxing everything lol

Yoshichan

Just to test if it is that your PC can't handle it, first make sure you go in the Nvidia Control Panel and turn off any AA tweaks you may have forced for the game before GeDo came out, then in GeDoSaTo set FFXII's render resolution to something like 1440x810@60. If it hits 60, then move up ti 1600x900@60, and if it hits 60, then move up to 1920x1080@60.

If you can't hit 60 on any of those, then there may be some issue with the way you've got it all set up.
Gonna try this out, thank you

I didn't realize that yet another Japanese late port was released with a fixed resolution. It's not like Square Enix's western studios haven't released plenty of fine PC games. I'm sure everyone is past this by now but this one in particular irks me.

Levyne

Banned
Durante (or others), will gedosato + this game eventually be able to support 16:10 resolutions without stretching? I just don't know if that's something that is possible. I'm fine with black bars otherwise.

Dr Dogg

I'm still at work, but has anyone tried GeDoSaTo texture dumping/replacement with FFXIII?

I really want higher-res font textures.

Yeah but enabling it in GeDoSaTo cause me to crash after the intro logo. Someone in the OT has been using tools to unpack the files.

K3v1

Neo Member
FF3 and FF4 are terrible ports as well.
15 fps lock (in battles, 30 fps lock elsewhere).
No texture filtering, none at all
Touch UI
That weird Subtitles: 1 2 3 4 5 6 dialog

Ugh really? Afaik this is also in FF7 (or just this camera pan at the beginning) and the reason I can't play this without the urge to tear my eyes out. Weren't the battles smoother in the DS version?

mcmmaster

These environments look so damn pretty... many thanks for this mod Durante, sending a generous donation your way right this second.

i16fYQ1P89arF.png

Baleoce

fixed my issue, it's just because i enabled the borderless windowed feature that it wasn't working. fullscreen is fine. which scaling type is optimal for this game?

Top Bottom