• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

Mkilbride

Banned
The game says it is putting 2560 x 1440 out, downsized from 3840 x 2160, but the game still looks like it's 720p.

I wonder why?

It appears right at the top, saying all that, but it doesn't feel like it at all, when I go in game, like when Sazh's hand comes up, or we see lightning in battle, if I look closely it's all blurry. I even tried turning AA off...no go.

Think I'ma just go do other stuff and hopefully something by the end of tomorrow will come up.

Thanks again Durante.

tengiants

Hrmm.. I suspect this game is CPU intensive. I have 770gtx but terrible CPU that is outclassed by the videocard and I'm getting sub 30 fps quite a bit. I thought it was gedosato at first, but even after disabling it I'm getting the same terrible frame rates.

Most games run really well despite my terribly balanced setup, but I guess they are probably better optimized to take advantage of the GPU.

I guess it'll be time to go motherboard and cpu shopping soon.

Xyber

Well, finally solved my problem with the game crashing over a specific resolution. I disabled transparency effects in Windows and restarted my PC. Now I can use whatever resolution I want for some reason.

Trying out 5120x2880 right now and I'm getting 45-60. My GPU hits 84% on GPU load now at least, compared to 40% at 4K res. :p

iosefe

Hrmm.. I suspect this game is CPU intensive. I have 770gtx but terrible CPU that is outclassed by the videocard and I'm getting sub 30 fps quite a bit. I thought it was gedosato at first, but even after disabling it I'm getting the same terrible frame rates.

Most games run really well despite my terribly balanced setup, but I guess they are probably better optimized to take advantage of the GPU.

I guess it'll be time to go motherboard and cpu shopping soon.

the specs for the game are so low, your GPU likely downlocks. before you go shoopping, fiddle more

Welp, after playing with settings for about an hour, I got mine running at 4k at damn-near-constant 60fps. There's an almost imperceptible slowdown at the very beginning of some battles, and very occasionally when reaching a new area of the map, but 99% of it is running buttery smooth. Now I'm just waiting for Durante to fix the DoF and the UI scaling, and I can play this god damn game for real.

Gbraga

Welp, after playing with settings for about an hour, I got mine running at 4k at damn-near constant 60fps. There's an almost imperceptible slowdown at the very beginning of some battles, and very occasionally when reaching a new area of the map, but 99% of it is running buttery smooth. Now I'm just waiting for Durante to fix the DoF and the UI scaling, and I can play this god damn game for real.

What did you do to pratically remove the frame drops? And what is your rig?

Xyber

Running at 7680x4320 "8K" gives me a pretty much locked 30FPS. Also tried 15360x8640 but only got like 2FPS.

Now that higher resolutions started working, the GeDoSaTo screenshot function crashes the game ever time. Worked without a single crash before I could go over 4K. :p

Solve one thing and break another I guess.

hlhbk

right click the game in steam go to properties click set launch options and put -fullscreen and try

What I am trying to say is after running durante's app if I launch the game in full screen mode I see 2 quick black flashes and the game crashes. It runs fine if you launch it in a window. I have disabled all forced Nvidia options, turned off transparency in Windows, rebooted and nothing works. I have also tried launching the game without durante's program and it launches full screen fine. I am trying 1920x1080 resolution. I have also tried your suggestion by creating a shortcut to the exe and adding that switch and trying from steam and the same issue occurs.

Caffeine

What I am trying to say is after running durante's app if I launch the game in full screen mode I see 2 quick black flashes and the game crashes. It runs fine if you launch it in a window. I have disabled all forced Nvidia options, turned off transparency in Windows, rebooted and nothing works. I have also tried launching the game without durante's program and it launches full screen fine. I am trying 1920x1080 resolution. I have also tried your suggestion by creating a shortcut to the exe and adding that switch and trying from steam and the same issue occurs.

i didnt touch anything but the ffxiii ini and mine works.

KLNQ3yM.png

What did you do to pratically remove the frame drops? And what is your rig?

i5-3570k (not overclocked)
2GB GTX 670 FTW (not overclocked)
8GB RAM

Here's my ini:

# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for ffxiiiimg

# This shit ain't done yet!
# Use at your own risk
## Seriously

# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840×2160@120
#renderResolution 5120x2880@60

#aaQuality 4
#aaType smaa

injectPSHash 1329c9bf

pluginHandlesDownsampling true
forcePresentRes true

#presentInterval -1
#forceBorderlessFullscreen true

logLevel 0

I changed the rendered framerate to 120 on a lark, and I honestly have no earthly idea if it's making a difference, but it hasn't hurt my performance and it's not melting my GPU so I'm not changing it.

I have all AA turned off, because the downsampling alone is ample enough for my taste. I'm forcing 16x AF in my control panel, as well as 60fps v-sync.

Sounds almost like this program is unfinished ;)

Pre alpha and all

I'm trying hard not to break down and get this. Already got FFXIV and Destiny and Spelunky and all these other time suckers

Levyne

Banned
8GB RAM

Here's my ini:

I changed the rendered framerate to 120 on a lark, and I honestly have no earthly idea if it's making a difference, but it hasn't hurt my performance and it's not melting my GPU so I'm not changing it.

I have all AA turned off, because the downsampling alone is ample enough for my taste. I'm forcing 16x AF in my control panel, as well as 60fps v-sync.

Your 670 getting 60fps at 4k while my 780 is struggling, weird..

Edit: I do have the smaa set to 4 and have nvidia control panel doing triple buffering

Why does the game get so blurry at times, during in-engine cutscenes??

Probably SE's code fighting with Durantes saying " were not supposed to be doing this! Take me back to 720p! " and Durantes code is like " bitch please we got this " then SEs code screams in horror " IM SCURREDD "

hlhbk

How can you tell if the game is running at 1080p? Strange enough I copied the text below into my config file and it launched full screen?

# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# Use at your own risk
## Seriously

clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840×2160@120

#aaQuality 4
#aaType smaa

injectPSHash 1329c9bf

forcePresentRes true

#presentInterval -1

logLevel 0

Holy crap. How can a PC port in 2014 possibly be locked to 720p? It blows my mind to think they thought it was acceptable.

And as always, thanks Durante for the great work.

legacyzero

Banned
Holy crap. How can a PC port in 2014 possibly be locked to 720p? It blows my mind to think they thought it was acceptable.

And as always, thanks Durante for the great work.

Stump had a good post on it earlier. He suggested that Japanese devs aren't intentionally not including these things, but rather, they just don't think or realize these things are crucial. At least that's how I understood his post.

Edit: Here:

So, I just want to make one point about this.

Preface: Durante is extremely talented, experienced, and dedicated. I don't want to take anything away from him.

However, he'd agree with me that the point of him fixing this stuff so quickly is that the stuff should not have been broken to begin with. The entire point is that this isn't that teams aren't able to do this, it's that they don't even conceptually think to do it. It never even occurs to them. It's mostly a cognitive blindness rather than a lack of ability. I'm also certain that Durante would point out that the only reason it takes him more than 5 seconds is that he has to reverse engineer things that are going on in the engine; if he had access to the engine, he'd be able to work much more quickly. That's the silent undercurrent of all three of the games he's fixed.

tengiants

the specs for the game are so low, your GPU likely downlocks. before you go shoopping, fiddle more

You are so right. Instead of going the other way, I turned things up and used the gedosato defaults of 5120x2880 which I hadn't tried yet. Runs beautifully now. Thanks.

How can you tell if the game is running at 1080p? Strange enough I copied the text below into my config file and it launched full screen?

When it boots up with GeDoSaTo, there will briefly be some text in the upper left telling you the rendered resolution and the resolution it's downsampled to. That's my config, so if everything's working correctly and your monitor is 1080p, that's what the game should be displaying.

While I do very much appreciate the work Durante has been doing on these games it's still alarming how shit the PC versions of games are sometimes.

hlhbk

So I am really confused. Using the following:

# Use at your own risk
## Seriously

clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 1920x1808@60

#aaQuality 4
#aaType smaa

injectPSHash 1329c9bf

forcePresentRes true

#presentInterval -1

logLevel 0

I open the game full screen (it now works) but it stays dark like it's switching resolutions. I then see the following right before the opening movie:

Am I correct the game is not running at 1080p? If not any idea why?

rybrad

I open the game full screen (it now works) but it stays dark like it's switching resolutions. I then see the following right before the opening movie:

You have a typo for starters: renderResolution 1920x1808@60

Caffeine

looks like its downscaling to 1536x864

ur line says 1920x1808 not 1080^

ss_lemonade

If you have Samsung Magician running, try closing that and see if it works. I have the same problem and remembered that this SSD app would sometimes cause issues for me too.

friz898

Durante,

I won't pretend to be your biggest fan/follower, but I know who you are thanks to Dark Souls threads on Neogaf.

That being said. Where do we send donations, if we are just so weirdly-wanting to donate to your hardwork?

No serious. If you give me 1 (hopefully more than 1) ways to donate, I will ask the Wife to make it happen.

Translation: I haven't bought the pc version of ff 13 yet, but I will soon, I already played the ps3 version, but I won't buy the pc version until you "fix" it and make it worth it. (Even if it IS only 15 bucks).

hlhbk

Durante,

I won't pretend to be your biggest fan/follower, but I know who you are thanks to Dark Souls threads on Neogaf.

That being said. Where do we send donations, if we are just so weirdly-wanting to donate to your hardwork?

No serious. If you give me 1 (hopefully more than 1) ways to donate, I will ask the Wife to make it happen.

Translation: I haven't bought the pc version of ff 13 yet, but I will soon, I already played the ps3 version, but I won't buy the pc version until you "fix" it and make it worth it. (Even if it IS only 15 bucks).

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=gedosato

Xyber

8GB RAM

Here's my ini:

What's up with the weird x? I don't think × should work as a substitute for x, but I can be mistaken.

Top Bottom