• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

When I was starting to play games as a kid Western RPGs, Action RPGs, First Person Shooters, and Strategy games weren't really too popular (not even existed in the case for FPS and RTS games). I used to play a lot of 2D Platformers, Beat-em-Ups, JRPGs, and Zelda back then. I still like Zelda I suppose but I barely started playing Twilight Princess and I don't have a Wii so it doesn't really matter.

Most defining game for me was probably Diablo or more-so Diablo II when I got really into it, Baldur's Gate 2 to some extent as well. I was already in High School though when I played those.

JLRnr.jpg

crazy good game, timeless soundtrack. castlevania.

kyubajin

I was mostly PC gamer during my childhood and there are a couple of games which I played so much that will never abandon my memory. I stil play them from time to time thanks to DOSBox.
• DOOM
• Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty
• Another World
• Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge & other LucasArts graphic adventures
• Diablo
• Lemmings
• Worms 2

And a big etc.

Olorin

Early childhood on C64: Lode Runner, Jumpman, Defender of the Crown.
Later on PC and GameBoy: Super Mario Land, Moraff's World, Scorched Earth and The Incredible Machine.

Postman

Banned
7318.kid-icarus.jpg

There were some atari games before hand I played a lot and of course I played a lot of super mario, but this game was so hard that I just wanted to keep going and keep powering up. Like metroid this game just kept going with a new game+ everytime you beat it so I had like a ton of power ups and money. Loved it.

DeSo said:
You know, the game that you couldn't put down, everything about it just blew your mind, it defined your future gaming taste.

Has to be Secret of Mana on the SNES for me. This was the best thing I'd ever played. The whole leveling up, playing with a mate, working our way towards the end goal. The epic music. The story. That's where my love of JRPGs began.

I've been wanting to play it for a long time now, considering it's the game that Secret of Evermore was based on gameplay wise, isn't it? If I loved SoE, will I like SoM?

nonnocere

Super Mario Brothers when the NES was released I was in elementary school.

6318350470_081d9eb3b0_z.jpg

Though, we had a Pong machine when I was quite young.

KAL2006

Banned
DKnight said:

Yep, probably my first game I officially owned, of course I played Commodore 64, NES and etc before at a friends or cousins house, but it was SNES and Mario World where I properly sat and played a game. I remember this was the only game my family had for a while, I was such a pro in the game.

I am glad I started gaming from way back with the NES and Commodore 64, I seen I have been blown away so many times by seeing countless innovation, from my first 2D mario game, to Pokemon, to Super Metroid, to my first RPG Suikoden, to FFVII, to my first 3D sandbox game Mario 64 to Twisted Metal to Diablo 2 and etc. I can't imagine being born in the new generaiton and to have my first console be a 360/PS3/Wii, hell I can't imagine my first console even being PS1/N64 and etc. I am glad I went through the evolution of gaming.

Top Bottom