• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 Open Beta Discussion/Impressions

Gattsu25

Banned
I was playing this for a bit just now.

Sparse thoughts after a few fights:
The shooting is a bit loose.
The controls are a bit rigid.
The visuals are a bit low res.
The textures have the standard UE3 slow pop-in (only it is much worse in this game than I have previously experienced)
I've been disconnected from a few fights but for the most part have not had poor lag issues.
I continued playing
It's not terrible, but there are better shooters out there (can't really compare this to other console multiplayer games as these are not really my thing)
I enjoy the medic class.
I don't like the consumable inventory system. Not because I think it's a bad idea but because I think it is explained very poorly.
The interface is very familiar to me

My name is Xias Genfyre, in game, if anyone wants to play sometime.

I figure I'll play this game for a few more nights and see if I stick with it.

sono

I have been in the closed beta, and was wondering what other people thought too

There seems to be a lot of promise with the vision of this game, but there is the unfortunate impression therefore that they are not giving it enough technical attention to match the vision.

Now its in open beta I am reading that people are generally echoing my thoughts in this thread.

There is so much choice around equipment and skills which may be cool, but the battle system feels like a reasonably everyday online shooter so its not really that clear on how your purchases help much.

In the vision of the game shouldnt I be able choose from an Eve universe of star systems and planets, but only a few seem to show up for me.

Having said all that it does have an appeal that draws you back to it rather than give up on the promise you will eventually be godlike!

woolley

In the vision of the game shouldnt I be able choose from an Eve universe of star systems and planets, but only a few seem to show up for me.

Well they've claimed that there is suppose to be over 1000 maps come release. (Eventually some with their own special things like different gravity) but for the beta they only have a few to keep better control over things.

So a bit of digging around and finding the right weapon certainly helps improve the experience. I'm using the Burst Assault Rifle at the moment and it works pretty well, plus it's cheap enough that as long as I am doing well it pays for itself. Base weapons are pretty much garbage.

woolley

There was a neogaf corporation in the closed beta. I assume it's still up and running.

I don't know about a corp currently running but if there is then if the person running it/ or plans to make one wants to, send me the info I'll put it in the OP.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
∀ Narayan;46748141 said:
If you participated in early phases of the alpha/beta and weren't impressed, I highly recommend giving the game another shot. A lot of improvements have been made. The game is actually fun to play.

1) Have they improved the controls or at least let me custom map them since the default PS3 controls are TERRIBLE after years of CoD/BF?
2) Have they added more maps?
3) Has the grind been lessened to where you aren't steamrolled by corps/players that have been playing the game longer to where your starting equipment doesn't stand a chance and you'll be rolled to where you have to grind on losing matches to hope to stand a chance?

1) Have they improved the controls or at least let me custom map them since the default PS3 controls are TERRIBLE after years of CoD/BF?
2) Have they added more maps?
3) Has the grind been lessened to where you aren't steamrolled by corps/players that have been playing the game longer to where your starting equipment doesn't stand a chance and you'll be rolled to where you have to grind on losing matches to hope to stand a chance?
1) Only big difference is Triangle to crouch and R2 to switch weapons, not too big an issue
2) Yes
3) Not sure, but I've just been buying cheap level 2 assault rifles which are easily replaceable in the masses after playing just one round and have been getting plenty of kills.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1) Yes, exactly. And I want those replaced.

R2 as grenade, melee. R3 as crouch/prone Triangle as weapon switch. You know, the six years the CoD tactical/default BF controls?

2) Well, good. Hopefully they fix the crap gunplay next on the laggy controls.

3) That doesn't solve the fact that in a shooter your default starting gun should be able to stand toe-to-toe with "unlocked"/grinded-for weapons. I mean in BF3 the default starting guns are able to steamroll/style all over people just as hard as the last unlocked guns in the game, but here you don't stand a chance. CCP needs to understand that the MMO mindset does not translate over to FPS at all. If they want to get joe blow FPS playing player/me to play it, they have to make it to where skill matters and not grinding for the best kill-time.

(Oh, and add more tutorials since the tutorials in the closed beta was TERRIBLE)

I found the game to be quite awful in closed beta and stopped playing a week or two later despite them continuing to send me closed beta e-mails about their updates. I guess I should try the open beta, but I wasn't impressed with the terrible gunplay and fact that the default guns were ass to bother to download it. Maybe if they fix those, I'd give it the time of day again (well after they fix the controls/make them mappable as well)

davious88

Banned
Love it.
Still plenty of work to be done on it though.
Apparently there is going to be a massive update next month which improves the presentation.

SparkTR

Not sure Dust is developed with players who "live and breathe" Eve. I would find it hard to take his opinion to be honest.

It may not be developed for them in mind, but I have a feeling that's who they're attracting at the moment. I feel that there's just too many layers of confusion and jank at the moment for players who aren't interested in the EVE universe.

woolley

3) That doesn't solve the fact that in a shooter your default starting gun should be able to stand toe-to-toe with "unlocked"/grinded-for weapons. I mean in BF3 the default starting guns are able to steamroll/style all over people just as hard as the last unlocked guns in the game, but here you don't stand a chance. CCP needs to understand that the MMO mindset does not translate over to FPS at all. If they want to get joe blow FPS playing player/me to play it, they have to make it to where skill matters and not grinding for the best kill-time.

Well I think the plan is to have a skill based system in place to place people in lobbies. And I also think that once Null-sec opens up that the higher skilled players will move there and fight for higher valued contracts while the newer, lower skilled players will be in High-sec.

Ixion

Apparently there is going to be a massive update next month which improves the presentation.

Good to hear. The menus can definitely be more user-friendly and easier on the eyes. Hopefully that's part of the update, since upgrading your character is kind of confusing.

davious88

Banned
Good to hear. The menus can definitely be more user-friendly and easier on the eyes. Hopefully that's part of the update, since upgrading your character is kind of confusing.

Yup, according the forum its going to look like a different game.

I hope they can stableise the frame rate too. The menus are difficult to read with the tiny font and I agree upgrading is pretty difficult and cumbersome.

davious88

Banned
So a bit of digging around and finding the right weapon certainly helps improve the experience. I'm using the Burst Assault Rifle at the moment and it works pretty well, plus it's cheap enough that as long as I am doing well it pays for itself. Base weapons are pretty much garbage.

Currently you get paid very well fir doing very little, win or lose. In a mtch last nightI got no kills or hacked no mccs (was trying to get my mic working the most part), anyway my side won and i got 130000 isk for doing nothing.,.

Yup, the 'push to talk' thing is stupid, needs to be off everyone! Sorry- iphone 3 typing!

The Light

I haven't played this in a couple of weeks, but I find this fun. Since I have poor aim I'm mainly a medic. I'm still trying to learn this game, but man I hate when I think I have the drop on someone then turns out they have armor so good that I can't even put a dent in them. Been thinking about buying that assault pack on psn then using the auron that comes with it to get a few blueprints. Doing that will most likely allow me to save in-game currency for better suits & armor.

Yup, the 'push to talk' thing is stupid, needs to be off everyone! Sorry- iphone 3 typing!
Push to talk isn't so bad, it helps keep the chat orderly and is convenient is someone walks in or you get a phone call you don't need to make it everyone's business. However an open mic option couldn't hurt.

I haven't played this in a couple of weeks, but I find this fun. Since I have poor aim I'm mainly a medic. I'm still trying to learn this game, but man I hate when I think I have the drop on someone then turns out they have armor so good that I can't even put a dent in them. Been thinking about buying that assault pack on psn then using the auron that comes with it to get a few blueprints. Doing that will most likely allow me to save in-game currency for better suits & armor.
What's nice about these games where players take more than the typical 3 shots to drop is that it allows more teamwork since now the most effecient squad is going to communicate to focus fire on the same enemy. And speaking of which, is there anyway to get auron without paying real money? Would love to get a blueprint but not willing to invest money into this game until they show more improvement (though I do sort of like this stock concept, changes the way you play since dying means something more individually and it affects everyone so it balances out).

After more play time this game isn't all that bad. If they update the graphics (or at least don't have the textures take forever to load in), move crouch to the Circle button, add a sound effect when you're sprinting, actually add better sound effects all together, streamline driving controls (none of this analog BS), and make it a bit more obvious you're getting shot and what direction it's coming from then CCP might really have something here. The vast majority of the issues all deal with presentation and not the game itself.

woolley

You can turn push to talk off for yourself if you wish.

As for Aurum, there will be a player market down the line where you can sell your salvage and stuff and CCP has said that you will be able to buy Aurum with ISK in the player market so you don't have to spend real money if you really don't want to.

Camjo-Z

I haven't played this in a while but I remember when I first tried it I thought it was a very interesting idea (EVE/Dust connectivity), but a pretty bland and generic shooter... I heard there was an update, so I tried it again. It was still pretty bland and generic, but then I realized you could call down cars from the sky... from that point on all I did was drive around the planet in my space Jeep and run over all who opposed me.

I think I will pick this back up again.

Boss Man

I think I like this game but I'm not sure.

It's very confusing. I don't think I have any idea how it works, but I do pretty well with my default dude.

I think I like this game but I'm not sure.

It's very confusing. I don't think I have any idea how it works, but I do pretty well with my default dude.
Play skirmish, there's a lot more stuff to do besides killing which makes it more fun IMO.

Also perhaps someone here could give a quick guide to how fitting your soldier works.

Persona86

Banned
Gonna give this a shot tomorrow. I assume this is a kind of game that takes time to really know if you like it or not, it's worth giving some games a chance. e.g Demon's souls for me wasn't impressive at first, it looked cheap and boring, I was like "THIS is what people have been hyping?" but It eventually hooked me and I realized how wrong I was, it was truly a "game" rather than a hollywood blockbuster, the type of game we have been lacking this gen.

Is this game worth playing with a keyboard and mouse?

Ixion

this game will be dead once planetside 2 launches on ps4, people will go, dust 51 who?

DUST will have a PS4 version too.

CCP wants this game to last for as long as possible, so expect each console generation to see a new version until people lose interest in this game.

So going to attempt to start on a quick beginners guide. Here's what I got so far, maybe some people could help out.

Gamer Modes
Ambush: Basic team deathmatch style fighting. Keep killing the other team until they run out of clone reserves.

Skirmish: Conquest/Domination style of match. Each team has a giant MCC (Mobile Command Center) and the goal is to destroy the the other team's MCC. To do this you hack (read: capture) artillery cannons scattered (labeled A,B,C,D, etc) around the map. There are also various other structures you can fight for control over across the map such as class swap stations and giant manual defense turrets. The most important thing to capture however are the clone reserve stations, aka spawn points. You can also spawn on the artillery cannons, however when you hack those you must wait 60 seconds to complete the transition from enemy team to your team while the clone reserve stations are instant transitions and quickly turn the tide of the battle. You can also spawn in the MCC if you feel like your other bases are not safe to spawn at.

NOTE: Unlike other games, you should not start with the team death match mode. Beginners should go straight to Skirmish in my opinion because the maps are more open and there are more things to do so your lifespan will be longer and you'll have more of an opportunity to get the hang of the game without getting frustrated.

Vehicles
There are three classes of vehicles in Dust 514 - light attack vehicles (your jeeps), heavy attack vehicles (your tanks), and dropships (your aircrafts). To call in a vehicle, simply press RIGHT on the d-pad and select the vehicle you want. Note you actually have to buy the vehicle you want to use them, but each soldier has an unlimited supply of basic jeeps which should help traverse the large maps.

Customizing Your Soldier
When you are in your Merc HQ, you can customize your character. It may look intimidating, but it's actually quite simple. Press L1 and select MARKET. Here you are given a list of item classes to buy. So let's just say you want to buy a nice new sniper rifle to pick foes off from afar. All you do is select "Weapons" then "Sniper Rifles" and you are given a list of all the available rifles to purchase. to the far right you will see their cost, and in the top right corner you will see your funds.

Not every sniper rifle will be able to use even if you have the funds, though. This is because you don't have the appropriate skills to use this. These will be found in the list under some skill label (Sniper Rifle Operation Level II for example) with either red X next to it or a green check. Green check means you can upgrade to that skill right away and red X means you need to get others skills first. For most soldiers you should already have Sniper Rifle Operations Level I, so just click on the green check and upgrade to Level II and there you go, you got it. Then you simply go to your fitting room (which is also in the menu when you press L1) and add it to one of your load outs).

For one more example, I want to buy a tank so I'll walk you through that. I go to market place and select vehicles. and then Heavy Attack Vehicles. I see to get the basic tank I need "Vehicle Command Level V" and "Caldari Level I", both of which are red X's. I click on the Vehicle Command one and it prompts me to buy the skill book, I select purchase and use skill book and now I can work on upgrading this skill. I click on it again to upgrade and select Upgrade Skill. I do this until I get it to the required Level V. Now that I have this at Level V, I can purchase the Caldari HAV skill book and use that. Now I can buy the basic HAV, the Gunnlogi. I can now order my tank into the battlefield anytime I want.

NOTE: It may seem like a lot but just try buying a couple things to customize with and you'll see it's really not that complicated.

Health and Stamina
Health works like many other space shooters. You have a shield that regenerates and a health bar that doesn't. These can both be found in the bottom left corner of the HUD along with both a visual representation and a numerical. Also in that same location is your stamina. The stamina does not only effect how long you can sprint, but how often you can jump. If you try jumping without stamina you will not jump very high.

woolley

A little something to add about health. I tried to explain as best I could.

For your health you have a shield and amour. Both of these things can be enhanced by applying modules to your loadout or through your skill upgrades. Your shield regenerates on it own after a certain amount of time (can differ depending on modules).

The second bar for your health is the armor. If damaged armor does not self regenerate but there are tools to get you back to full health. With a repair gun a teammate can fix your armor and bring you back to full health or if you level your character up enough in the right branch you can use a Nanohive that not only gives you ammo but repairs your armor in the process.

Is there a way to group up with friends? I tried forming a corporation but that costs a ton of credits. I saw there was a way to invite friends to squads but every time we sent an invite it didn't work. And then we found a voice channel system but it is only text chat and you have to pay real money to make it voice chat? What the heck is this nonsense?

A little something to add about health. I tried to explain as best I could.

For your health you have a shield and amour. Both of these things can be enhanced by applying modules to your loadout or through your skill upgrades. Your shield regenerates on it own after a certain amount of time (can differ depending on modules).

The second bar for your health is the armor. If damaged armor does not self regenerate but there are tools to get you back to full health. With a repair gun a teammate can fix your armor and bring you back to full health or if you level your character up enough in the right branch you can use a Nanohive that not only gives you ammo but repairs your armor in the process.
There are low slot armor repair modules that you need to skill up for and purchase.

woolley

CCP has introduced a new recruiting program where you can earn rewards.

Anyone who signs up for a DUST 514 account and logs into the game using your referral link will receive exclusive starter gear. They'll thank you later.

Rewards for recruiters
By recruiting friends to play DUST 514, you'll become eligible for rewards that grant you special perks for growing New Eden's mercenary ranks. We're already keeping track of who you recruit, and what they do in the game. We'll be sharing more details about Recruiter rewards soon.

http://dust514.com/user/friends/

Tried the beta from PSN+.

One of the worst controlling shooters iv every played. Everything felt sloppy.
Amazing concept poor execution.

Ixion

Tried the beta from PSN+.

One of the worst controlling shooters iv every played. Everything felt sloppy.
Amazing concept poor execution.

I hope you guys aren't dismissing this game forever though. Everyone should at least give the official release a try when it hits in 4 or 5 months. It's free after all.

The Light

Push to talk isn't so bad, it helps keep the chat orderly and is convenient is someone walks in or you get a phone call you don't need to make it everyone's business. However an open mic option couldn't hurt.

What's nice about these games where players take more than the typical 3 shots to drop is that it allows more teamwork since now the most effecient squad is going to communicate to focus fire on the same enemy. And speaking of which, is there anyway to get auron without paying real money? Would love to get a blueprint but not willing to invest money into this game until they show more improvement (though I do sort of like this stock concept, changes the way you play since dying means something more individually and it affects everyone so it balances out).

After more play time this game isn't all that bad. If they update the graphics (or at least don't have the textures take forever to load in), move crouch to the Circle button, add a sound effect when you're sprinting, actually add better sound effects all together, streamline driving controls (none of this analog BS), and make it a bit more obvious you're getting shot and what direction it's coming from then CCP might really have something here. The vast majority of the issues all deal with presentation and not the game itself.

I do like that there are actual battles happening instead of the 3shot kill/respawn and repeat. Makes teamwork more prominent even with the people who don't have mics. I don't think there is any other way to get auron besides spending real world money.

The Light

Finally got back on tonight and noticed open beta brought in a ton of more players. I used to see nothing but exile assault rifle and now its pretty much miltia weapons. Have to admit tho I didn't have as much fun as the last time I played. In skirmish only a few were playing the objective. This one time tonight after I died I actually saw someone run right past the objective even though it was being hacked.
Going to ask again, but is there any way to group up with friends currently?

The only way currently is the invite. I don't why its not working for you.

androvsky

Giving this a try. Do you lose stuff when you die right?

Yup. However, when you start a new character you get a bunch of what's called Starter Builds, and it's all stuff that you don't lose when you die (the equipment has yellow borders around the icons). The problem is I'm pretty sure you can't move that equipment to other builds, so you'll want to keep a few of those around for when you need to grind for some money, or you're in an obviously losing (or maybe winning) battle and don't want to waste your good stuff.

You can also buy BPO's, or Blue Print Originals, they'll have a blue border around the icons (at least in the outfitting interface, possibly the store now too). Slightly better stats than the starter builds usually, and they never run out, but you need to spend real money to get them. You can move them around to various builds freely, as long as you have the stats. I think the $20 Merc pack comes with a couple.

Everything else is Blue Print Copies, and it's where the really good stuff is. Supposedly when the economy gets fully opened up and merged with Eve Online you'll be able to buy and sell both BPOs and BPCs with whatever currency you want.

There's BPC equipment that currently can only be purchased with real money. All they are is higher-end equipment with lesser stat requirements.

Akainu

So I pretty much played it all day yesterday and I like it. Though when you are losing you are really losing. Tanks seem a little broken though. Also pretty late in the game I just pretty much stopped getting skill points. Is it one of those things where when you start a character you get a bunch and then it just teeters off the more you play?

glaurung

It was crap when it was in closed beta, it is still crap now.

Considering how much they have worked on making it better it is uncanny how bad it still is.

nOoblet16

The gameplay feels very wrong, so do the sound effects. Also it is the ugliest game I've played on PS3, nothing even comes close.

Top Bottom