• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwarf Fortress-age: The GAF succession game

So, in the same vein as boatmurdered, I feel that GAF is in need of a Succession game of the indie-sim game Dwarf Fortress.

Rules:
One year = one turn, from spring of one year to spring of the next. Once your turn is up, save it, zip it, and get it to the next player. Upload it to rapidshare.com/megaupload/filefront or something similar, and post the link to your savegame so the next person can get it and begin. Feel free to break your turn up into a bunch of posts, but let's try and keep it moving along.

Once it's your turn, you get a week from the time that the link is posted to take your turn. If you start but can't finish, your successor has the option to pick up where you left off and play out the rest of your turn and their. If you don't start, then the old savegame just goes to the next player. If you trash the fort to total -- and I mean TOTAL -- unplayability (e.g. magma flood oh god), we'll revert to an old save, but overcoming setbacks is half the fun, so hopefully we won't have to do this.

Pretty much anything goes except for things that make later turns totally unplayable such as flooding the world, mining adamantine, or removing bridges in creative ways so that the pathing eats it and the bridges can't be reconstructed and the fortress descends into an orgy of violence and starvation. If you do this, we roll back to an old save.

Rules adapted from boatmurdered thread
Right now I am posting this to gauge interest and get a list of possible rulers. We shall probably begin in 2 weeks, as I am busy for the time being. (This 2 week lag will allow for people to get signed up, and for everyone to learn the new version better)

Links:
Official Site
Dwarf Fortress Wiki
The Easy Pack (Built in square tileset)

Right now, post if you are interested.

We strike the earth on Nov. 12th

Official Order:

Platypotamus Nov. 19th - 26th
Norante Nov. 26th - Dec. 3rd
Zensetsu Dec. 3rd - Dec. 10th
GDJustin
People interested:

Open Source
Platypotamus
Zensetsu
haowan
Norante

I'd actually really like to have the second week then, since I have a break from work for Thanksgiving, but the wife works all weekend. Pretty much Guaruntees that I'll have enough time to play/document.

Zensetsu

Jon_Danger said:
how are you guys liking the new version

I could go either way personally.

I like how choosing your starting area is far more involved in the new version. A lot of great stuff there.
The elevation issue, I find myself building most thing on one layer anyway. I could do without depth, I think. The game is complex enough without it. But I suppose it is nice to have the option.

haowan

Fortress placement is nice, but the world seems pretty empty - I liked having a guaranteed chasm and magma and now... well, it seems like you've got no chance of having all the features. I found a nice spot last night in the square next to a volcano and still no magma... it's natural after such a big release (and still in Alpha of course) but it just seems less together than the old version.

Zensetsu said:
I like how choosing your starting area is far more involved in the new version. A lot of great stuff there.
The elevation issue, I find myself building most thing on one layer anyway. I could do without depth, I think. The game is complex enough without it. But I suppose it is nice to have the option.

I know, I find the z axis stuff to be more annoying than anything.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm in, but I should warn you... the Z-axis seriously scares me. I'll play either way though.

haowan

Jon_Danger said:
why is that?

I'd rather not have two versions of the game on the go. Besides which, I'm sure it would be interesting enough if we picked a suitably weird location (that was still settlable). Personally I'm finding the z-axis totally awesome, it means I can stack my fort and reduce travel time between berooms and workshops. It's like having portals in a flat fort. I do think that it might be worth waiting a while before starting a succession game with this new version, but I'd rather not go back to the old one in the meantime.

haowan said:
I'd rather not have two versions of the game on the go. Besides which, I'm sure it would be interesting enough if we picked a suitably weird location (that was still settlable). Personally I'm finding the z-axis totally awesome, it means I can stack my fort and reduce travel time between berooms and workshops. It's like having portals in a flat fort. I do think that it might be worth waiting a while before starting a succession game with this new version, but I'd rather not go back to the old one in the meantime.

good idea, I definitely could go with waiting for a bit. Maybe someone else would like to start the fort?

If nobody starts it this week, I can just be the founder next week if you guys still want to get started. I certainly don't mind just pushing the adventure back a bit though, as while I feel much more comfortable now, I still feel a bit newbish.

Also, if I start next week, I'll have to figure out some way to start an additional fort without losing my current one, it's going pretty well.

GDJustin

Can we start it in a sinister or otherwise evil setting? I like the idea of the roleplay being that this fortress was founded in the middle of a evil stronghold, withe the idea of clearing all the undead out :D

GDJustin said:
Can we start it in a sinister or otherwise evil setting? I like the idea of the roleplay being that this fortress was founded in the middle of a evil stronghold, withe the idea of clearing all the undead out :D

Did anyone else notice how he makes this suggestion AFTER I volunteer to go first?

GDJustin

Well, I mean I don't care what we do SPECIFICALLY. Just that we're faced with some pretty stiff adveristy. Maybe instead of undead, we start in a frozen climate and make an ice fortress, or something.

I'm playing a round right now where NOTHING HAPPENS. I produce way more food than I can eat, I've never ONCE had enemies come out of the cave river, chasm, or magma flow, and I've never once had a siege. I think in the 4 years I've been running this fortress I've had like 3 kobald thieves show up, and that's it.

You'd think this would be a really desirable set-up, but as DF has no win condition, it actually gets a little boring after a while. I have nothing to work towards besides keeping my nobles happy and giving every dwarf a lavish bedroom.

I dunno but I would be up for switching with platypotamus, I am super busy this week. I am in a show opening in 2 days, so I have really no time for gaming. :(

Ok, I don't mind starting. Might even get to it today if I have time later on.

Besides Justin, anyone have any requests?

I'll be looking for an evil location... taking probably a miner, woodcutter/carpenter, miner/mason, farmer, brewer/noble, mechanist/craftsworker, and then since we're going to such a tough setting, a marksdwarf/something, meleedwarf/something.

Any particular land features you guys want?

I'll probably be looking for something that has a layer or two of soil/sand, so that we can farm without a crazy irrigation system, since we won't be able to rely on hunting/fishing without our dwarves being killed probably. In a perfect scenario, I'll also find a spot with magma, so we can forge without wood, as we probably won't want our lumberjack out chopping too often either.

I say anyone participating gets to name a dwarf after themselves while doing so, Boatmurdered style, but since I'm going first, I don't mind naming the other 6 of my starting 7 after non-participants following the thread, if anyone is interested, let me know who you want to be.

Also: Can I have multiple forts saved at once, or do I need to backup my current fort to start this one?

Just a heads up that I've started the game. Got to midsummer-ish I think. I'll get an official update sometime today or tomorrow, and probably finish my playthrough by monday or tuesday, and my updating done a day or two after that.

Short version: No calamities so far, but things are progressing pretty slowly due to one of the challenges we face.

Journal of "Drunky" Platypotamus Unibadakas - 1051
Expedition Leader of Tombwhips
The Forest of Mucous
The Continent of Ships
The Everseeing Infinite Prophecy-Dimension

Early Spring - Day 1

Arrrrg, me head... it feels like me head feels when me head don't have no drink innit. You. Gimme drink.

What is this? WATER?!?! Are ya trying ta kill me? I'mma Dwarf! Ale, fer the love of stone!

Now, where am I? The forest a wha? What in the blazes am I doing there? I'm the leader a the what now? Sed I'd create the best damn fortress in the histry of dwarfdom? In a forest a mucous? With no stone? With seven Dwarves? And if it weren't the best by the end a the year, I wouldn't stop wearing this dress at year's end? An I swore all this right ta the king's face?

I need another drink.

Editor's Note - This journal is being compiled by a humble clerk, whose name does not bear mentioning. When possible, the words are Platypotamus' own, recorded through "her" dictation (apparently, Platypotamus lost a bet while drinking on New Year's Eve, and as a result, must spend the next year dressed as, and acting as, a lady. A lady? One has never met a lady who acts like this!). When the dictations of the fearless leader are unavailable (or incoherent), this humble clerk will record the events to the best of his ability. For clarity's sake, such addenda will be recorded in this italicized font, in order to avoid confusion. It is one's sincere hope that such addenda will not prove to be unwelcome intrusions to the dear reader.

Here, while Platypotamus drank four or five more ales to "get herself goin'", I filled her in on the situation. This map shows our rough location, at three degrees of precision:

1.gif

As a brief side lamentation, if the reader would be so kind as to permit it, one wants to make it clear that one had no idea what one was getting oneself into when one signed up to be a clerk.

Lemme see the message from tha king again.

2.gif

Well. I s'pose he's right. Gotta provide, right? What's there 'round here we can eat?

3.gif

Here, a long silence, while the rest of the dwarves wait for "her" reaction.

A forest a mucous and deer with no meat? Tell me there's at least more booze!

On this point, there's at least happiness. The wagon is full of little else.

Early Spring - Day 20

So, we been diggin into the ground, and we ain't found no stone. Two layers a dirt so far. This ain't as bad as it could be. Sure, we got no rocks. But what do we got? Dirt. I jus told ya that. Weren't ya listenin? So I thinks to myself, whats dirt good for that stones not? Not much, right? But there s one thing... growin crops! And then I thinks to myself, whats crops good for? Only one thing, really? Brewin! Ya brew crops to get booze, any dwarf knows that! I made a thingy here...

4.gif

"She" actually ended up falling asleep on the diagram in question, and drooled on it until it was unusable. One hopes that the readers will permit this as a substitute. In this substitute diagram, you can see the still, with the fields being positioned just north, off the edge of the diagram.

In the center of that diagram, you can see a bit of one humble clerk's plan for dealing with the biggest problems of this site, as well as the expidition leader's "improvements" upon it.

If the reader will be so kind as to imagine for a second (the appropriate diagram for this point was used as a hanky by the good expedition leader), those stairs pictured in the diagram are no good. They go down to an aquifer, an entire layer full of nothing but water. Naturally, we need to get past this aquifer, but how? Behold:

5.gif

By digging a massive hole down to the aquifer, it will freeze. Unfortunately, as you can see from this diagram, we didn't reach it in time, so we'll have to wait for the end of year freeze, but when it comes, we can safely tunnel through the ice, and then wall off the level. This freeze should come rather early, considering the climate of this locale. This will permit us to get beneath the water while it's safe!

Early Summer - Day 1 (a summer)

6.gif

Made it ta summer! An I got almost as much booze as I had when we showed up. An there's enough food too. An even if they aren't stone, ya can do a lot with logs. Look at the barracks n the pub in the... the... that. N Coggy, he ain't bad. He been making little whatsits outta the logs too. Says we can trade em with the caravan when it comes. Dunno what to trade for though. We got everything we need right here in good ole Tombwhips! In fact, I'mma have a party!

7.gif

She wasn't kidding. About the party, that is. The fortress doesn't have everything it needs of course. No stone means no... well, lots of things, really. Most importantly, no mechanics, which means no traps. This forest has skeletal deer walking around, what else might be lurking that we haven't seen? Quite frankly, I'm afraid. Winter is still a ways away, but what then?

Early Summer - Day who the hell cares?

She forced me to write that, and forbade me from amending it with the proper date. One hopes the reader can forgive this transgression.

There was a surprise today. Corpses!

8.gif

No one knows where they came from. I found Coggy working on some bone carvings with raccoon bones, and I says ta him, I says... "Don't ya usually work with logs from Choppy?" And so Coggy says, "Yeah". And so I says, "Where'd ya get raccoon bones anyway?" And Coggy says "They was in the rubbish pile."

So I ask around, trying to figure out who killed em. No one fessed up. Here's the really weird thing too, them raccoons didn't have no meat on em. Which should mean that they been dead for awhile. So I guess we had some skele-racoons to go with the skele-deers, and as close as I can figure, they just crawled over to the rubbish pile an keeled on over. At least they didn't die in the still or somethin.

Late Summer - Day 168

Why hasn't there been any progress report from Tombwhips in over a month, dear reader? One confesses that one has been lax with Platypotamus with regards to said updates. In all fairness though, cornering the Expedition Leader for anything aside from a drink or dozen is quite the challenge. One submits the following piece of evidence:

9.gif

Over the past two months, there has been a constant party. Actually, two of them, one immediately after the first ended. It would appear that "Coggy" is a bit of the partner in crime to our good Expedition Leader. One or the other is constantly partying. The status report would probably be more accurate if next to the Expedition Leader's name, it said "stumbling around, while bragging about the size of his... 'beard'" Or hers. Which only raises more questions, really. Over the summer, the fortress has settled into a bit of a doldrum. As you can see, half the expedition is out of work. One of the dwarves is "on break", which basically means he's too drunk to work, and the rest are at this party. Thank goodness for "Choppy", who is essentially singlehandedly deforesting the land above, for the good of our constructions.

10.gif

Oh, bloody hell.

Late Summer - Day Shaddup

Gimme a damn drink, damn it!

Late Summer - Day 178

My mother was so proud of me. She always wanted me to be a clerk. She said it'd keep me out of trouble. Away from the booze, or the dangers of the army, I'd be safe, and able to live a nice long life.

My mother didn't account for the drunken boasts of a cross dressing madman (madwoman?), and neither did I.

As part of my midyear report to the king, I submit a profile of our "Expedition Leader". I understand that it might not come across in writing, so if the reader would kindly note, that last sentence was said with derision, scorn, and perhaps even some venom.

11.gif

The king should note certain particular points made in the above profile, which I will be glad to expand on here:

1. The expedition leader has been ecstatic lately... perhaps because she's been drunk, partying, and hanging out with her "Friend" Coggy nonstop, for the past three months.
2. She complained of thirst lately. I should add the word "constantly" to that. She actually showed off her ventriloquism skills, complaining of thirst as she downed a mug of Ale.
3. Her love of Microcline, Brass, and Agate? She is mad. She believes that beneath the aquifer, we'll have an entire layer of Agate. Actually, she believes we'll find an entire layer of ale, and below that, an entire layer of Agate.
4. She handles stress by being so drunk she doesn't notice it.
5. She is organized... she always knows where her empty mug is, so that it can easily be refilled. It's always in her hand though, so I'm not sure how organized that really makes her.
6. She takes time making decisions. Here's how it usually goes. I bring forth some proposal. She tells me, "not now, I'm drinking". This goes on for days, until finally she says, "If it's that important, take care of it, I'm drinking!"
7. She needs alcohol to get through the working day. I should actually amend that sentence. Remove the word "working", as it does not belong in any sentence dealing with our precious "Expedition Leader".

While I will continue to update the king with progress reports, as my position demands, I would also recommend a replacement for our Expedition Leader. Bets aside, there are dwarven lives on the line here, and it would be tragic to lose some due to the mismanagement of this drunken lout.

Alrightie, I decided just to do it all in one massive update, as I finished my year. Massive update ahoy:

Early Fall - offa cliff

12.gif

I got word thatta trader from Zonkie Det's almost here. One time there was this bar wench there. Oh boy. She had a butt that don't quit! I'm telling you she wasa aglako alckoamgnaaa FIVE SILVER???? Get outta here!

Perhaps my reader thinks that it's in bad form that I included the above dictation from the good Expedition Leader. Perhaps my reader thinks that when she falls asleep in mid dictation, it is the humble clerk's job to cease taking notes, to avoid embarrassing the expedition leader with her sleeping musings. At this point, I assume this expedition is doomed to failure, and wish to chronicle every one of her short comings, so that the reason for the failure is explicitly understood by the king, or the adventurer that finds all of our remains. Apologies if this approach does not agree with my readers' delicate sensibilities, but I seek only to record the truth. Hopefully I get the chance to meet with an official with these traders, and send word to the king of our leaders' gross negligence.

Early Fall - Day 194

Even in these increasinly frustrating and bleak times, some happiness occurs. Our first birth at the fortress. Puppies, not dwarves, but a joy nonetheless. I pray only that we aren't forced to eat them by the end of this. Or worse, they end up eating us.

13.gif

Early Fall, day 205

Hey, the traders from Zonkie Det are here! One time, there was this bar wench there. Ooooh, she had a butt that don't quit! Seriously! She ain't with the traders, and none a them are much ta look at. Ah well, sometimes ya gotta work.

14.gif

Check it out! Our efforts er legends! I bet their singing bout me right now! Now if only the traders brought anythin good. A couple pieces of metal's nice. A cage. Some leather. Maybe someone can make me a nice wineskin outta it...

Mid Fall, day 211

Well, here's another mystery. Remember the skeletal raccoons that died earlier this year, mysteriously. Today, as the caravan prepared to depart, I happened to spot one. Injured. In the refuse pile.

15.gif

I'm hoping to meet with the trade liaison later today, and to pass on a note to the king about our leader's incompetence. It should be pretty easy to get the opportunity, the entire fort is, big surprise, at a party:

16.gif

Mid Fall, day 212

Well, that party is still raging, and I didn't get a chance to speak with the liaison yet (note in the following diagram, that the liaison is actually at the party). My spirits were buoyed however, by the arrival of the winter frost. Rarely a positive thing I admit, but lest my dear readers have fogotten, we have an aquifer to deal with. The lengthy frost of this location will act in our benefit as we attempt to tunnel through. With our "fearless leader" passed out at the party, I've taken it upon myself to start giving some of the orders to get this project started. We may have a long frost, but we must take advantage of every second if we are to survive in this place. I want nothing more than our leader's failures to come to light, but I cannot sit idle and allow the lives of these other dwarves to end while awaiting the king's justice.

17.gif

Huh. That's odd. The merchants were preparing to leave already. I wonder why they're still here. One of them get dragged into the party perhaps?

Late Fall, day 262

Dear reader. I have no idea what has happened today, but I know it spells our doom. I'm still trying to piece together the events myself, but they make no sense. I'm supervising the tunneling of our passage through the aquifer, when suddenly I hear a bunch of shouting coming from the Trade Depot. I distinctly remember hearing a shout of "That's me sister yer talkin' about!" and then a cacophony.

18.gif

One of the traders came barreling out of the depot (why were they still here?), accompanied by his axe dwarves. More shouting followed. Excited by the commotion perhaps, one of the traders' mules and one of their camels begin bucking wildly. Suddenly "Shooty" and "Choppy" are there, equipped for their military service.

19.gif

20.gif

For some reason, the animals take the brunt of their assault. I suppose in retrospect, that was a good tactic, the animals way about as much as four dwarves, maybe more, and can cause far more damage. Fortunately, they fall quickly. I didn't notice it at the time, but I remember thinking later how odd it was that none of the merchants guards got involved at this point.

The aftermath is disgusting. Blood, vomit, miasma.... everywhere. Some of the vomit was mine I'm sure. Mother, remember what you told me? The life of a clerk is easy, the most blood I'll see is a line here or there from a papercut. I practically swam in it today. Honestly, after bloodying merchant caravans, I fear it won't be the last I see. I can only hope that as a result of the missing caravan, some sort of expedition comes to our rescue.

21.gif

22.gif

I spoke with Platypotamus about the event, to attempt to get some answers. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine how relevant the response was.

What do we care about them anyway? Now we get to keep all their stuff! I don't care why they attacked. How should I know? Them dwarves from Zonkie Det are crazy. I mean, there was this one bar wench there... ooooooh, she had a butt that don't quit! I was even telling one o them traders that she's probly still shaken that sweet thing right now...

Late Fall, Day 268
The past several days have been a nightmare. The survivors of the trader battle have been slowly going mad. "Fortunately", if anything call be called "fortunate" about this event, the maddwarves in question have all been members of the traders' party, and not any of our people. I've taken time out from the aquifer project to order the construction of a grave yard. Unfortunately we lack the resources to create a true burial for these dwarves at this point, but at least we can get their remains in a safe location.

Even worse, project aquifer has hit a major snag. It turns out that beneath the aquifer is... more aquifer. I'll have to expand the project to enable us to penetrate both layers.

Late Fall, Day after yesterday

Poor Clerky. He's really sad causa the two aquiers. He's a good guy though. He's alright. I mean, I love that guy. He's like, cool. I mean, we're like cool. Ya know? He's like, yeah. I love that guy. So he has taken a break from the aquijiggy projec. So causa how cool he is, I'mma take over. I'mma get it done for him as a surprise. Cause he's alright. He's a cool guy. I mean I love that guy. So I'mma take it over. I'll get it done for im. Then he'll be happy again. Maybe he'll party with me after. We'll have fun. Cause he works too hard. He's cool, but he works too hard. I mean he's alright. I mean, he's just great ya know? I love that guy. So I'mma do it. Cause he's cool. Oh yeah, and thanks Coggy for writin this part for me causa I can't write, and I can't tell Clerky to write it cause I'mma surprise him. And he's a cool guy. I mean, Coggy you're cool too. I mean, I love you man.

Early Winter, Day 288

We have suffered the first loss of a citizen of Tombwhips, and I'm sad to report that it was not Platypotamus. I'm even further sad to report that his body cannot be recovered for a proper burial at this time.

While I was supervising the graveyard project, Platypotamus began working on the Aquifer project. Normally, I would be so shocked and impressed that he was working, I would be beside myself with joy. However, his complete failure as a dwarf not only caused inefficiencies in the mining operation, but it cost the life of one Likot Sashasdatan, a.k.a. "Stoney". He was a good dwarf. A bit too found of some of the more "interesting" mushrooms perhaps, but his mining skills were of great use to this place. It is ironic and especially sad that his end came as we came so close to actually reaching stone, with which his other skills could finally be put to use.

23.gif

I managed to sneak a letter out of the fortess today, to report as much of our situation as I could to the king. Who knows if it will arrive? The messenger bird had been sitting in storage all these months, forgotten. I do not trust it's chances of survival.

Mid Winter, day 324

A ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy... year. We've reached the underside of the aquifer at last! Even better, Limestone! The thaw is still a ways a way, but it's best to be cautious, so I've set the crew about building walls to keep the fort dry upon the thaw.

24.gif

25.gif

I emerged from the tunnels to find the scariest sight I have ever seen before my eyes. The other members of the expedition have been calling the mutt "PaddledClasped" or Apalama, and claim it's a war dog who helped sort out the strange merchant uprising, but I say the creature is a hell hound. That battle was months ago, and she's still covered in blood!

26.gif

Late Winter, day 330

Well, it wasn't no ale, nor no agate, but we found stone. Limestone! An jus so ya know, it don't work with tequila even if ya are outta lime. Started a mining thingy down there to start making some space. It's going good!

27.gif

For once, the oaf is right. It is going "good". As that is happening down below, I've ordered the covering of the top of the aquifer tunnel project on the surface. I don't want our enemies able to attack us from there. While up there supervising that, I had an extremely present winged surprise. I was told to prepare an official report for the briefing of new leadership, and be ready for my new assignment come the first of the year. I nearly broke down and cried tears for joy right there, but with the other dwarves around, I forced myself to remain composed.

Late Winter, Day 363
Official report for the newly appointed expedition leader of Tombwhips

Surface

28.gif

Status:South of the entrance, pictured here, is the large opening where the aquifer bypass project was undertaken. Progress on covering the breach nears completion. Near the pit is a temporary wood stockpile, where materials for the covering were stored. I would have preferred to build the covering out of stone, but considering all of our other stone needs, felt that wood would have to suffice for now. Our expedition leader didn't argue, as she was drunk at the time.

Recommendation: Complete the covering of the opening, and remove the temporary wood stockpile. While this land is apparently quite dangerous, I have seen no reason to forbid exterior excursions, provided that dwarves remain vigilant.

Level 1

29.gif

Status:At my recommendation, level one has been left uninhabited. It was my intention to use this level as a defensive position, though a lack of stone, and thus a lack of mechanisms has hindered this development.

Recommendation: As a humble clerk, defenses are not my area of expertise. It was my plan, however, to fill this hallway with traps (potentially lengthening it to add more). Additionally, I had planned to lower the area just past the entrance, so that the entrance itself wouldn't be stairs, but rather up against a wall. This wall would include fortifications, and a barracks on either side, manned and ready to fire at intruders from within. Siege engines would be added eventually. When asked for her input on defenses, Platypotamus advised "A moat a rum, so that our attackers would be too drunk to fight."

Level 2

30.gif

Status: At the present, this floor contains everything, and it has been essentially our only floor. Contains the trade depot, farm, still, carpenter, and craftsdwarfshop, barracks, dining room, graveyard, and inactive/incomplete cloth related shops.

Recommendation: Now that we have access to good dwarven stone halls, much of the activity is likely to move deeper into the hill. Much can remain, however, notably the farming related buildings, and the carpenter shop, as farming is most easily accomplished in the soft soil here, and the carpenter being closer to the surface means closer access to the wood he needs.

Aquifer Bypass

Not Pictured

Status:There are two levels of aquifer bypass. They feature walls built by the dwarves, and stairs up and down, and nothing else. Note that I left an entire level unused just beneath the aquifer, for safety reasons.

Recommendation: Clearly, the walls here Cannot be removed. Doing so will have disastrous consequences. Expanding the safe zone for easier travel would be ideal, but is not recommended at this time. It is at their own discretion that future leaders may wish to mine out the empty level, though that is also not recommended.

Level 6

31.gif

Status: Essentially a virgin limestone area, with the beginnings of four hallways, and four rooms designated for mining.

Recommendation: This area should likely become the new home for most of Tombwhips. Limestone is a good, useful rock, and I hope that you find more success here than I.

Late Winter - Day 365
Well, my bet is over, and my replacement comes tomorrow. I'm going to consider my bet a success! Why? Well, we've produced more booze than we can drink. Find me a better measure of fort success, and I'll eat this dress! Maybe I'll go back to Zonkie Det. I remember this bar wench there.... she had a butt that don't quit....

I'll permit myself to hope that the dear reader might be wondering at this point, "What will become of the humble clerk?" While the thought of my reader caring about my fate does indeed buoy my spirits, they are in desperate need of Buoying. Apparently, my accounts of Platypotamus' sordid leadership of Tombwhips have been a rousing success in the King's court. This also should fill me with joy, I imagine. Unfortunately, the light at the end of this tunnel happens to be coming from an exhaling dragon. My tales are so popular at the king's court, that they've commissioned me to continue following Platypotamus around, chronicling his future misdeeds.

I think now I'm the one that needs a drink...

Note that the "recommendations" are just in-character stuff for the clerk writing his report, and shouldn't be seen as binding in anyway for whoever is taking over. Mainly they are things that I was hoping to at least start on by the end of the year, but the craziness prevented that.

Here is the save fail for whoever is next (or anyone else that wants to load it up and check it out):

http://www.platypotamus.com/dwarffortress/region3.zip

Hopefully everything you need is in that zip, I've never shared a game before, but I think that's all there is to it.

haowan

Great writing. I really like how stuff was set up for the events that happened. Good work getting through the aquifer as well - I didn't know about the freezing tactic, that's really clever.

haowan said:
Great writing. I really like how stuff was set up for the events that happened. Good work getting through the aquifer as well - I didn't know about the freezing tactic, that's really clever.

Not clever enough for poor Stoney! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And thanks, I endeavored to entertain!

I will be at my parent's house from wednesday-saturday. They have crappy crappy dial up. so, posting here would be a major chore. UGGH!

I can probably play a bit on tuesday night, and maybe get an update up. But I don't know how much I will be able to post about.

The other updates will probably come on sunday or saturday.

We will see. Damn holidays, ruining our gaming fun!

I just look forward to seeing how you do salvaging the expedition after all hell broke loose during my reign. At least I got past the aquifer, because I would have felt really shitty if I killed a miner, had all those shenanigans with the traders, and all for naught.

Mobius 1

So, it's my turn. I must say I'm not as skilled in the game as I'd like to but I will do my best. I will not be offended in the least if you need to revert the game after my turn, though... it will possibly be even more chaotic :lol

Sorry about the missing stuff from my posts above. In the middle of a host switcheroo.

If whoever is next needs the save file still and can't get it from my server, PM me your email addy and I'll send it along.

Top Bottom