• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwayne Johnson Teases New Video Game Movie Announcement

FeldMonster

To everyone saying Kratos, Dwayne doesn't have the acting chops. Bautista would be better in that role.
How much skill does one need to play a character that is simply angry all the time and kills everyone in his way. Kratos is almost by definition, a single note character.

The Rock, with his wrestling background and copious action roles, seems like a perfect fit. He has even done other "swords and sandals" flicks like The Scorpion King and Hercules.

Deerock71

How much skill does one need to play a character that is simply angry all the time and kills everyone in his way. Kratos is almost by definition, a single note character.

The Rock, with his wrestling background and copious action roles, seems like a perfect fit. He has even done other "swords and sandals" flicks like The Scorpion King and Hercules.
I think that character might be a bit more nuanced than you feel it is. He has motivation for his anger, and it would be acting out those scenes that The Rock's acting "prowess" would be exposed.

Bigfroth

Starring Steven Seagal
lol, Seagal has mastered the art of doing action films from a sitting position lol and having his voice overdubbed. what a fucking hack lol.
Jackie Chan Running GIF

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
To be honest, I think it's God of War.

Last year Sony announced a $18.4 billion investment to increase their entertainment offerings. The TLoU series is part of that investment, and so is the Uncharted movie. They're on a roll to expand their videogame franchise into movies and series.
Also, Dwayne Johnson has a very successful and recent history of collaboration with Sony Pictures because of the Jumanji movies.

He could absolutely do it. But, why not use the current God of War
Because he doesn't sell movie tickets like Dwayne Johnson does (reason #1), he's 57 now and I doubt he's in that shape especially after his hip replacement surgery. and to be honest a guy of Cherokee descent couldn't pass as a Spartan.

I could see Dwayne Johnson doing it because at 49 he may still be able to maintain his physique for another 4-5 years while doing the greek mythology, after which he can play as dadbod older Kratos and do the norse mythology storyline.
Plus, Dwayne has already been Hercules.

WitchHunter

Banned
He would be badass as Kratos.
Thank god average people has no say about this. Rock is not a bad actor, but he plays in these half assed zerobrain movies that need no thinking. So in essence he is the hero of the downtrodden masses and locked himself into this overly positive goodguy role. Kratos is a murdermachine not a kindergarten cop for fucks sake. If he plays kratos in a movie, then the decision was all about bringing more money in from fans and surely recouping the costs. So the movie will be surely S H I T from an adult's standpoint.

the actor doesn't have to be a lookalike, a bodybuilding adonis, just give a believable, good acting, that's all.

WitchHunter

Banned
To be honest, I think it's God of War.

Last year Sony announced a $18.4 billion investment to increase their entertainment offerings. The TLoU series is part of that investment, and so is the Uncharted movie. They're on a roll to expand their videogame franchise into movies and series.
Somehow videogame adaptations (except maybe the last lara croft movie) are superficial, only meant to milk the audience and not about making the given franchise a stronger footing, elevate it even more.

Also, Dwayne Johnson has a very successful and recent history of collaboration with Sony Pictures because of the Jumanji movies.
Movies for children...

Because he doesn't sell movie tickets like Dwayne Johnson does (reason #1), he's 57 now and I doubt he's in that shape especially after his hip replacement surgery. and to be honest a guy of Cherokee descent couldn't pass as a Spartan.
Yeah, if it's all about the money, then don't bother. But all the voice actors were black ppl... and they already expelled feces on the mythology left and right. I don't get your point.

I could see Dwayne Johnson doing it because at 49 he may still be able to maintain his physique for another 4-5 years while doing the greek mythology, after which he can play as dadbod older Kratos and do the norse mythology storyline.
Plus, Dwayne has already been Hercules.
Spartans didn't have hormone, insulin, steroid etc. therapy plus protein after workout. The actor should have a lean, muscular physique.

Batiman

Banned
Thank god average people has no say about this. Rock is not a bad actor, but he plays in these half assed zerobrain movies that need no thinking. So in essence he is the hero of the downtrodden masses and locked himself into this overly positive goodguy role. Kratos is a murdermachine not a kindergarten cop for fucks sake. If he plays kratos in a movie, then the decision was all about bringing more money in from fans and surely recouping the costs. So the movie will be surely S H I T from an adult's standpoint.

the actor doesn't have to be a lookalike, a bodybuilding adonis, just give a believable, good acting, that's all.
Ya because a GOW video game movie should be big brain with top notch actors. Dude your posts are too much

WitchHunter

Banned

Angry, cruel, pragmatic, a murderer. Well, a wrestler and a spartan in the same sentence is the worst nightmare. If they portrait Kratos with a goofy actor then it's all about the money. I'm sceptical about him in this role, and also sceptical about a GOW movie, but if they "couldn't" find anyone else for this role, then sigh, I'll give it a go when it comes out. There are a lot of good actors forced into shitty roles...

Ya because a GOW video game movie should be big brain with top notch actors. Dude your posts are too much
A spartan warlord has to have wits, a brain, otherwise how will he outsmart/outmanoeuvre the enemy? Why people think Kratos has to be stupid like a used sock, just because he is a murdering machine, doesn't mean he is retarded.

Last edited:
Duke Nukem.

I know it sounds crazy but the rock was once attached to star in a movie adaptation of Duke Nukem many years ago when the idea was floating around Hollywood.
While the franchise hasn't released a game in years, the character IS a muscle bound, wise cracking parody of 80s and 90s movie action stars - an action style comedy that would suit Rock.

Crazy unique weapons, hideous creatures like the pig cop and a plot to save the world, and the babes, from Aliens sounds like a blockbuster plot up the rocks alley.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Somehow videogame adaptations (except maybe the last lara croft movie) are superficial, only meant to milk the audience and not about making the given franchise a stronger footing, elevate it even more.
This depends on whether you think the Witcher Netflix series happened because of the books or because of the videogame series.

And if we leave the live action realm, the critic and public opinion about Arcane is definitely not of something meant to milk the audience. It's been nominated for a multitude of awards.

The other Netflix animations based on videogames, like DOTA Dragon's Blood, Dragon's Dogma and Castlevania are also fairly good IMO.

Cyberpunkd

I hope it's God of War. If they finally got around to making the Bioshock movie and he's starring in it I'm going to be very disappointed.
Bioshock is way to complex for modern sensibilities, including looking at Ayn Rand's work through the lenses of hyperbole and satire.

Considering game movies he had, it'll probably be retro and western game as a base for a movie.

Maybe Gauntlet? Or Robotron 2084? Or Smash TV? Or System Shock?

Batiman

Banned
Angry, cruel, pragmatic, a murderer. Well, a wrestler and a spartan in the same sentence is the worst nightmare. If they portrait Kratos with a goofy actor then it's all about the money. I'm sceptical about him in this role, and also sceptical about a GOW movie, but if they "couldn't" find anyone else for this role, then sigh, I'll give it a go when it comes out. There are a lot of good actors forced into shitty roles...

A spartan warlord has to have wits, a brain, otherwise how will he outsmart/outmanoeuvre the enemy? Why people think Kratos has to be stupid like a used sock, just because he is a murdering machine, doesn't mean he is retarded.
I’m talking about you saying Dwayne does zero brain movies like GOW is above him

Polelock

I honestly cant see him as Kratos either. He is to "innocent" for a lack of better word and not sure if he could pull off an Anti-hero.
I don't know man. I think seeing him as Black Adam will change the perspective. I think he could nail it

trikster40

Go watch Ballets and tell me he plays some zero brain positive good guy. He’s kind of an asshole, adddicted to pain meds, great job in that role. Just because most of his movies have been family friendly doesn’t mean he can’t act. They said the same thing about Robin Williams as well.

WitchHunter

Banned
Go watch Ballets and tell me he plays some zero brain positive good guy. He’s kind of an asshole, adddicted to pain meds, great job in that role. Just because most of his movies have been family friendly doesn’t mean he can’t act. They said the same thing about Robin Williams as well.
When did I say he is a bad actor?

The guy is a shit actor. How much money does he need? We get it. You like playing yourself in every role. If I had to choose than I’d say put him in gears. Don’t ruin gow

GreatnessRD

I honestly cant see him as Kratos either. He is to "innocent" for a lack of better word and not sure if he could pull off an Anti-hero.
You must've missed his early heel work in the then, WWF. The only thing with The Rock is I don't know if his voice would fit Kratos, but he definitely has the look for the role.

trikster40

When did I say he is a bad actor?
It was heavily implied in your last sentence:

“the actor doesn't have to be a lookalike, a bodybuilding adonis, just give a believable, good acting, that's all.”

If he’s a good actor in your eyes, then you’d have no problem with him being Kratos.

WitchHunter

Banned
It was heavily implied in your last sentence:

“the actor doesn't have to be a lookalike, a bodybuilding adonis, just give a believable, good acting, that's all.”

If he’s a good actor in your eyes, then you’d have no problem with him being Kratos.
Why are you so negative? Are you sad that it's not what you expected?

Yawn. Jump higher.

The Alien

Banned
Also Doritos Pope: "Hey gamerz, im not gonna tell you now....but stay tuned for Summer GameFest for all the latest gaming news. And later this year get ready for the biggest Game Awards show EVER!!!"

Top Bottom