• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 Adds Denuvo 3 Days Before Launch

Guilty_AI

Could be that maybe you could get better fps etc without it. It would be interesting to see the impact of performance on games with DRM vs without DRM.
Some games have performance hits but not all. The more common impact DRM has are longer loading times and more frequent stutters.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Why do people always assume that a companies actions are done with zero reasoning or for no good reason rather than having the mindset that there is probably data that supports if your game has denuvo it will probably sell better? Do you have insider info, have you seen the P&L sheets? This isn’t to say that companies shouldnt be above skepticism or criticism either but how are you so certain?
Because we have plenty of examples of how shitty those big companies are? And I could ask you the same: do you have any proof showing that Denuvo games are selling better? No.
What we do have is games without Denuvo that sells a lot on PC: Witcher, God of War, Total War, Hitman etc...

I remember playing AC Origin with the crack because my legit version was tanking into the low 20FPS without any reason, and the cracked version fixed this. And you have plenty of examples like that.
This is a fact, so yes if your game is good it will sells. Denuvo is crap because it affects performance and the legitimate user will have problems that don't exist without this DRM.

How do we know? Are there any objective benchmarks illustrating this?
Yes there is proof! Do you research please it's in the 1st page seriously...

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
pWew671.gif

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Congrats, the game is broken and they added Denuvo on top of that, prepare for a fuckin mess people !

From the IGN review:

"If your tolerance for bugs is low, I do not recommend jumping into Dying Light 2 on day one. Or day 10. Maybe day 30? I was able to play it to completion, but only barely.
Leading up to launch it is absolutely drowning in a sea of upsetting technical issues, whether it’s crashing (which happened to me dozens of times in my more than 80 hours with it on Xbox Series X and to others at IGN on PlayStation 5 and PC), all dialogue stopping during cutscenes, all audio being replaced with a loud screeching noise, getting locked out of quests because a character won’t let you talk to him or being unable to finish because the objective never spawned in, uneven framerates making me seasick, and too many more to list here. Most glitches are temporary annoyances or even amusing wonkiness, but some are more dire – one IGN editor playing on PS5 had his entire save file corrupted, leaving him with a never-ending loading screen and locking him out of his save pending an upcoming patch.

Normally I expect a certain lack of polish in ambitious, open-world games, but even with my expectation for jankiness set to maximum, Dying Light 2 has been really, really rough. The longer I played, the more frequent the issues seemed to become; by the end I was having to quit out and reboot multiple times per hour, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when credits rolled and something hadn’t catastrophically broken my save file. In terms of stability issues and the danger of losing progress, it’s been considerably more severe than our experience with the PC version of Cyberpunk 2077, where the bugs we hit were mostly visual in nature. Techland is aware of all of this and is reportedly hard at work on patches to address it, but if history is any indication it’s going to take more than a few real-world day-night cycles to sort out this many issues."

Jayjayhd34

How do we know? Are there any objective benchmarks illustrating this?
I wouldn't bother you'll never get proper reply.

Games get better after launch because better drivers, and updates not the removal of denvou. This aboustly no solid evidence to these claims.

I love denvou it means poor ass father who calls himself a gamer who's never bought single game in his life doesnt get play games that often anymore. Lot games have stayed unpirated because of it.

zeorhymer

Use your head. Think logically!
Do you really think companies like Ubisoft (and others) that use Denuvo in their games, enjoy paying thousands (or more) of dollars to Denuvo Software for their protection if it wasn't worth it?

... or do you think Ubisoft use Denuvo to intentionally screw their costumers?
Think logically? You said: "Like it or not, Denuvo helps sell more copies at launch." How does "anti-theft" device sell more copies? I asked for receipts and you give me a nonsensical reply. Denuvo is no different than a bike lock or those lock cages in big box stores. They've been pushing this lie that companies get more money if they have "their" software incorporated. Is piracy lost potential sales? Possibly. How many people will actually buy the thing if the cracked one is so readily available? Very very little. It's like watching anime on countless sites instead of Crunchyroll or Funimation.

Did you know that Steam is DRM? Did you know that Ubisoft have their own launcher which is also DRM?

Reallink

Use your head. Think logically!
Do you really think companies like Ubisoft (and others) that use Denuvo in their games, enjoy paying thousands (or more) of dollars to Denuvo Software for their protection if it wasn't worth it?

... or do you think Ubisoft use Denuvo to intentionally screw their costumers?

Denuvo is around $200k per year, per release.

Irobot82

Come on guys they're just trying to bring PC performance down to that abysmal console performance. 1080p/60. Yikes.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You know those "Day one patches" on practically every major console game these days are clearly just DRM disguised as bug fixes/content updates (that I say are intentionally left in to practically force people to go online and download the patch - thereby authenticating the game).

Might sound like a conspiracy theory but it makes perfect sense. What about people who don't have an internet (or a good internet) connection, you say? Nobody gives a shit about those three dudes on a nuclear submarine trying to play Halo online multiplayer.
Nawh
Usually they have a mix of assets, code, and hotfixes; make the game unplayable incase some one gets a copy of the non-drm game decrypted

Preloads on consoles without DRM would make it rife with games being leaked early in the pirate scene (They may have learned from this in the past, winkwink)

You COULD add your own DRM to console games, but it's not something I've really run into; usually the data package on the console itself is encrypted and uses the platforms provided DRM in the SDK to avoid piracy

If not, say it's an online game, the platform, say XBox Live, does authenticate your account (Are you who you say you are?) then authorizes (Do you own this game?) then does whatever else the developer wanted, if they even care to further authx/autho; most of the time they just pull the account info from the originating platforms info and build it into their DB so you don't have to do an account creation process on their game and drop you in

Physical copies are considered "More Secure," because the store would have to break release date for you to get the game; No Man's Sky comes to mind, dude got the disc, dropped it into his console and played without the day 1 patch
Pokemon Legends was leaked early in the break release date fashion since we know how to get around the console's built in DRM. Someone gave/sold the cartridge early, dumped it and gave it up.
I can't think of a game on the Switch that has DRM built in either, or PS4...or Xbox, typically because if it fucks up on a person who has a legit copy it's a bad experience. A customer will remember 1 bad experience and forget 100 good ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom