• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

Dynamic3

I can't get adaptive vsync to work via the nV control panel, it keeps resetting the profile when the game starts. Thoughts?

So, i just got this.

I wanted to wait a while until all the issues were sorted.

I've been trying to play it all day but it keeps crashing (blue screen) after around 10-15 mins of play.

I'm running pretty much everything on max on two 780 Ti @1440p.

I'm getting good FPS, everything is pretty fluid, then bang, crash.

is this a known issue or am i just unlucky, again.

I can add this along with FC4 that i just can't get to run properly.

So, i just got this.

I wanted to wait a while until all the issues were sorted.

I've been trying to play it all day but it keeps crashing (blue screen) after around 10-15 mins of play.

I'm running pretty much everything on max on two 780 Ti @1440p.

I'm getting good FPS, everything is pretty fluid, then bang, crash.

is this a known issue or am i just unlucky, again.

I can add this along with FC4 that i just can't get to run properly.

what are your temps? do you overclock?

I got this from the event viewer.

Does it mean anything to you?

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1:
P2:
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\030115-13712-01.dmp
C:\Users\Scott Cameron\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-19999-0.sysdata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_13edc41b

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 030115-13712-01
Report Status: 0

Kezen

Banned
I got this from the event viewer.

Does it mean anything to you?

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1:
P2:
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\030115-13712-01.dmp
C:\Users\Scott Cameron\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-19999-0.sysdata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_13edc41b

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 030115-13712-01
Report Status: 0

Download WhoCrashed and see what it has to say to you. As I said issue is most certainly hardware related.

I downloaded who crashes, Played the game untill it crashed (it took less than 10 mins) and then ran who crashed and got the following:

On Mon 02/03/2015 19:27:42 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030215-13650-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800E33D028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 02/03/2015 19:27:42 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0x1E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800E33D028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

I just ran Heaven for an hour without my rig crashing.

One card (presumably the EVGA 780Ti Classi) never goes over 78 degrees.

The second card is at 82-83 which is the max set in Precision X, so that one is getting hot.

Why would Dying light crash it in 10 mins consistently but an hour of Heaven at ultra settings (literally everything at max) not ?

Kezen

Banned

The second card is at 82-83 which is the max set in Precision X, so that one is getting hot.

Why would Dying light crash it in 10 mins consistently but an hour of Heaven at ultra settings (literally everything at max) not ?

Your CPU may be overheating, not your GPU. Dying Light is VERY heavy on the CPU.
You don't seem to understand that Unigine benches are GPU heavy.

Your CPU may be overheating, not your GPU. Dying Light is VERY heavy on the CPU.
You don't seem to understand that Unigine benches are GPU heavy.

ill run the game and keep an eye on my CPU temps. I have a front bay on my PC that gives me a constant read out of that.

it's watercooled with an H100i. Could it really be overheatng? It's happening at stock speeds and OCd.

Also, thank you for taking the time to talk me through this issue Kezen, I appreciate it :)

Kezen

Banned
ill run the game and keep an eye on my CPU temps. I have a front bay on my PC that gives me a constant read out of that.

it's watercooled with an H100i. Could it really be overheatng? It's happening at stock speeds and OCd.

Also, thank you for taking the time to talk me through this issue Kezen, I appreciate it :)

If your cooler is not properly seated it's possible that your CPU is overheating. Ideally you could even stress test your CPU with prime 95.

Check your event logger for any WHEA errors as well.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Benchmark stable doesn't always mean game stable, especially when you throw SLI into the mix. I've had cards that would clock much higher in benchmarks but crash instantly in games.

Well this isn't a good result.

I installed Prime95 and when i begin the test, it basically instantly bluescreens and restarts my PC.

What now ? : /

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I installed Prime95 and when i begin the test, it basically instantly bluescreens and restarts my PC.

If it were me I'd update the BIOS, reset it to default settings, remove the cooler and clean off the thermal paste, reapply new paste, clean out the fans and reseat the cooler and go again.

Maniac

Banned
Has anyone here experienced some really nasty stuttering in the game? Happened on my 780 aswell as the 780ti I've borrowed. And I've tried just about every possible fix I've heard of. Has any 'recent' fixes been found, or am I shit out of luck? :/

Buburibon

Has anyone here experienced some really nasty stuttering in the game? Happened on my 780 aswell as the 780ti I've borrowed. And I've tried just about every possible fix I've heard of. Has any 'recent' fixes been found, or am I shit out of luck? :/

I don't know if I'd call it nasty (it's not as bad as FC4's in my opinion), but the game definitely stutters fairly often and as far as I'm concerned there's no reliable fix for it. I'd say we're all out of luck. :-(

Kezen

Banned

As suspected your CPU is overheating or perhaps it is not supplied enough voltage.
You should do what st3v3 says.

If it were me I'd update the BIOS, reset it to default settings, remove the cooler and clean off the thermal paste, reapply new paste, clean out the fans and reseat the cooler and go again.

Do what St3v3 said but I would recommend exclude the updating BIOS part. It just adds unnecessary risks unless the new BIOS specifically fixes related problems. Just clean and reseat the CPU cooler and test again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Do what St3v3 said but I would recommend exclude the updating BIOS part. It just adds unnecessary risks unless the new BIOS specifically fixes related problems. Just clean and reseat the CPU cooler and test again.

It's always best to have the latest BIOS IMO, I can't remember the last time I had any issue updating a BIOS, it's very straight forward these days and takes less than 5 minutes total. I know for my motherboard every update from stock has some form of "improved system stability" patch note among other improvements.

It's always best to have the latest BIOS IMO, I can't remember the last time I had any issue updating a BIOS, it's very straight forward these days and takes less than 5 minutes total. I know for my motherboard every update from stock has some form of "improved system stability" patch note among other improvements.
I have the same habit of updating to the latest BIOS and have had no problem either. However when giving advice to others I often have concerns as something can still go wrong and often totally out of their control even if they do everything right. I had 2 friends who messed up their cpus doing the same thing. I don't want them to blame me, is all. :p

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I have the same habit of updating to the latest BIOS and have had no problem either. However when giving advice to others I often have concerns as something can still go wrong and often totally out of their control even if they do everything right. I had 2 friends who messed up their cpus doing the same thing. I don't want them to blame me, is all. :p

The old "You updated Adobe Flash and now my PSU just blew, it's obviously something you did!" scenario.

Stitch

Gold Member
I can actually update my BIOS from the BIOS settings.

It connects to the Internet and searches for new updates. Totally blew my mind because I remember how I had to update manually with a 3'5" Disk in DOS Mode years ago.

But at that time we also still tied an onion to our belts.

riflen

Must have missed it, yeah that's weird that his CPU overheats with water cooling.

You're not going mad, I don't think he's mentioned it in this thread. I remember his specs from another post he made. It may not be overheating, insufficient voltage or something else about his overclock could be causing the stop error.

Hi guys,

My cooler is aftermarket, i have the Corsair H100i which is a closed loop watercooler (All seated correctly as far as i know).

I have it mounted the same as this:
H100i-11b.jpg

H100i-10b.jpg

I also monitor the CPU tempts with the ROG Front Base, which looks like this:
Front-Base-Front-Display-2.jpg

This i just an image from the web, not my actual rig.

My CPU is a 4770k.

I have it "Optimised" with Asus AI Suit 3 (which makes it run at around 4.1 at all times. Idle temps for that are round 40 degrees (more or less the same as that image)

When i want to OC i use that front base to OC. You can push a button and it can put it up to 4.4. Even on load the temps don't seem to go over around 60 degrees.

No other issues with CPU crashing on other new games (Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, FC4 (although that has frame hang issues), Alien: isolation).

Priem 95 kills it instantly and i get about 10 mins or so of dying light.

I updated my bios with the latest version around a month ago, so it's not the one that came with the mobo (i have a Maximus IV Formula).

I'll run that intel tool when i get home from work and take a screen of the vcore settings in my bios.

Cheers guys, you are also awesome for helping me. I feel like such a muppet.

The old "You updated Adobe Flash and now my PSU just blew, it's obviously something you did!" scenario.

Yep, pretty much.

I'll run that intel tool when i get home from work and take a screen of the vcore settings in my bios.

Cheers guys, you are also awesome for helping me. I feel like such a muppet.

I don't know anything about these programs that automatically overclock CPU, but it seems like your CPU is not getting enough juice. Try disable that program, set default settings in BIOS and test prime again.

Well, you guys were bang on the money.

The issue was a CPU issue, more specifically an overclocking issue, and even more specifically how i did the over clock.

I started by uninstalling ASUS AI Suit 3 (which automatically does some OC on your processor).
I then flashed my BIOS just to be sure all settings were stock (it was the same version as before).

I ran Prime 95, it worked fine. I ran Dying Light, no issues.

I then used the Asus Front Base to OC the CPU. It has a button that allows you to do the 2 step simple OC method. As soon as i did that, even to level 1 (which is 4.2Ghz) Prime 95 crashed instantly and i was back to getting 10 mins from Dying Light before it crashes.

I guess now i need to figure out how to OC properly in the BIOS without using any if these tools / software.

I'm very grateful to all who helped me figure out what the issue was, cheers guys :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's most likely a lack of vcore using the automated method. There are plenty of guides on how to overclock properly, just find one for your CPU and you'll be done in 10 minutes. Personally I have my 3570k @ 4.5GHz on an Antec Kulher which is similar to yours.

It's most likely a lack of vcore using the automated method. There are plenty of guides on how to overclock properly, just find one for your CPU and you'll be done in 10 minutes. Personally I have my 3570k @ 4.5GHz on an Antec Kulher which is similar to yours.

Agreed, overclocking using some form of automation is not recommended. I do think you should spend more than 10 minutes overclocking your machine though (no offense St3v3). While you may be able to simply punch in the settings someone else used and get a stable overclock, you might not (every cpu is not created equal). And if you have no idea what you did, you will have no idea how to correct the problem. Overclocking is not difficult, but you should at least educate yourself on the basics.

Agreed, overclocking using some form of automation is not recommended. I do think you should spend more than 10 minutes overclocking your machine though (no offense St3v3). While you may be able to simply punch in the settings someone else used and get a stable overclock, you might not (every cpu is not created equal). And if you have no idea what you did, you will have no idea how to correct the problem. Overclocking is not difficult, but you should at least educate yourself on the basics.

Are there any good tutorial vids you would reccoemdn i watch?

Even better if they have a focus on my cpu (4770k) and Mobo (Maximus Formula VI)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

None taken, it's always best to understand what you're doing instead of blindly following a guide, but from experience that's exactly what most people want and you can get away with that more often than not unless you're trying to push a component to its maximum overclock.

Are there any good tutorial vids you would reccoemdn i watch?

Even better if they have a focus on my cpu (4770k) and Mobo (Maximus Formula VI)

I cant give any more specific advice. I have a core i7 920 that I overclocked a very long time ago. I would google your motherboard, cpu, and "overclock" and then find a detailed guide.

Also, I don't want to sound like some old fuddy duddy that is screaming "YOU DAMN KIDS SHOULD LEARN WHAT YOU ARE DOING." If you want to just try plugging in numbers from a guide, go ahead. Just be sure you know how to reset the CMOS in case the overclock is too much for your system. Also, monitor temps while running prime95 for a while afterwards afterwards.

I've been looking everywhere for a solution to the no-fullscreen / borderless window bug. I can't change the video.svc file, it will let me select fullscreen in the options, but it won't go fullscreen. If I change the resolution, it will go fullscreen, but when I switch the resolution back to my native 1440p, it's stretched and scaled weirdly. I downloaded "Windowed Borderless Gaming" but no matter what I do, I can't get the program to work.

Is there a fix for this? I've found lots of pages online where people have had this problem, but I can't find a solution that works.

Buburibon

I've been looking everywhere for a solution to the no-fullscreen / borderless window bug. I can't change the video.svc file, it will let me select fullscreen in the options, but it won't go fullscreen. If I change the resolution, it will go fullscreen, but when I switch the resolution back to my native 1440p, it's stretched and scaled weirdly. I downloaded "Windowed Borderless Gaming" but no matter what I do, I can't get the program to work.

Is there a fix for this? I've found lots of pages online where people have had this problem, but I can't find a solution that works.

Have you tried checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box in the executable's "Compatibility" tab?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
i7-3770k
R9 290
16 gb ram
running off 7200 rpm drive

With the 1.5 patch I have everything maxed out aside from draw distance and I'm achieving mostly 60fps with dips into the 50's every so often. Maybe I should bring down the shadow maps. I traded in the PS4 version for PC and damn, night and day difference with double the FPS.

In case anyone is interested, I have:

i5-2500K @ 4.0 ghz
8GB Ram 1600
GTX 970

I'm running the game completely maxed out with adaptive vsync and view distance at 50%. Getting solid 60fps due to adaptive vsync.

I'm getting about 65% GPU usage and 50% CPU usage on each core. Does that sound right? I'm assuming because I'm capping frames at 60 the GPU usage is lower.

The textures are sort of rough in this game, but its only really an issue indoors. I don't notice it outdoors because everything is so fast paced, and the lighting and particle effects are gorgeous.

I have a strange issue with the sky in this game:

Do you see the sharp banding, where it goes from different shades of black to gray? Shouldn't it be smooth gradient? I've noticed this in some other games as well, such as Alien Isolation (most noticably in the main menu).

If you can't see it, it must just be my monitor. If that's the case, can anyone direct me to a good site that'll help me calibrate? I've used various ones I've found on Google and they all indicate my monitor is calibrated correctly, yet I still have these banding issues with really dark areas of games.

SliChillax

I have a strange issue with the sky in this game:

Do you see the sharp banding, where it goes from different shades of black to gray? Shouldn't it be smooth gradient? I've noticed this in some other games as well, such as Alien Isolation (most noticably in the main menu).

If you can't see it, it must just be my monitor. If that's the case, can anyone direct me to a good site that'll help me calibrate? I've used various ones I've found on Google and they all indicate my monitor is calibrated correctly, yet I still have these banding issues with really dark areas of games.

I don't see it. What GPU do you have? Make sure your dynamic range is set to full and the color depth to 32bit.

I don't see it. What GPU do you have? Make sure your dynamic range is set to full and the color depth to 32bit.

GTX 680 2gb

My color depth is already set to 32bit. My monitor is using a DVI connector.

I just tried Windows 7's built-in monitor calibration and my monitor passed all of the tests.

SliChillax

GTX 680 2gb

My color depth is already set to 32bit. My monitor is using a DVI connector.

I just tried Windows 7's built-in monitor calibration and my monitor passed all of the tests.

Go to the Nvidia Control Panel, on the left side click on Adjust desktop colour settings and see what looks better to you, make sure dynamic range is set to full 0-255 and digital colour format to RGB. If those don't work try using another cable.

Go to the Nvidia Control Panel, on the left side click on Adjust desktop colour settings and see what looks better to you, make sure dynamic range is set to full 0-255 and digital colour format to RGB. If those don't work try using another cable.

I played with the settings there and the only way to get rid of the banding is to make it so dark it negatively affects the rest of the visuals. I can't seem to find the right balance. Fortunately this doesn't affect every game and I can try to get used to the few times it pops up.

I don't have another DVI cable at hand, but I'll try that as soon as I can get a hold of one.

sammelito

Figured I'd try here since google yields nothing so far. I recently bought Dying Light and I'm loving it so far.

My only issue is some form of microstuttering when running and panning the camera. I run the game at a locked 60 FPS and unlocked between 70-100 fps so we can rule out performance.

I have everything maxed out except for shadows which is at high and view distance at 40-45%. Whenever this stuttering manifests, the frame counter which sits on 60 all the time drops very quickly down to 59 and then up again, it happens even in the least performance intensive areas.

My specs are i5 4690k, R9 290 Tri-X, 8 GB of ram. Also, worth noting is that I have a 120hz screen

Top Bottom