• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 - 6 minutes of gameplay.

How underground am I if I started with DW3 and its expansion Extreme Warriors? I loved those games back then but I kinda burned out on the formula because the games were huge.

JCG

Everyone knows that enemies in Dynasty Warriors-style games aren't known for being too active, but even in the modern titles they do tend to attack more than in this demonstration, especially at higher difficulties. I think they're intentionally keeping the difficulty and/or AI set to low here, because the whole point of this video is to introduce other aspects of the game, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

How underground am I if I started with DW3 and its expansion Extreme Warriors? I loved those games back then but I kinda burned out on the formula because the games were huge.
Started with 2 over here. Played every one of them. Started to get burned out until I played on higher difficulties and focused on styling. The basara games are better for the latter though.

hydruxo

Looks really good but I gotta echo the AI complaints. Last time I played a DW game was on the PS2 and the AI was the same way. You'd think they'd be able to do something about it by now. Just groups of soldiers standing around waiting to be attacked.

Reknoc

The open world looks rather nice I guess but I'm not really seeing much point in it at the moment to make it not just seem like needless filler. Video quality doesn't help I imagine but its not really looking like a massive leave from 8. Yeah, yeah open world and all that but I feel, like, we know what Dynasty Warriors is, and you've shown some Dynasty Warriors-ass Dynasty Warriors, I think that maybe justification of the open world in some form would be top priority?

conpfreak

Open world looks good. Otherwise, same old Musou. What they really needed more than the graphical and scope updated was a reinvention of the combat. Enemies reacting to attacked in waves and basically doing nothing but waiting to be destroyed is not engaging at all in this day and age. It was cool on the PS2 with DW3, but we're on 9 and this ain't gonna cut it.

Reknoc

Open world looks good. Otherwise, same old Musou. What they really needed more than the graphical and scope updated was a reinvention of the combat. Enemies reacting to attacked in waves and basically doing nothing but waiting to be destroyed is not engaging at all in this day and age. It was cool on the PS2 with DW3, but we're on 9 and this ain't gonna cut it.

I mean, sure, but the fact we're on 9 (well technically 8 because goofy western naming and also technically like, 100 because there's a load of spinoffs) means that it kinda is cutting it.

I don't really get this whole mentality that musou games need to change, they've found a niche that they excel at and I don't think anything else can fill it. The games can be incredibly cathartic at the lower difficulties and get surprisingly rough at the higher ones.

JCG

An interesting interview from Famitsu:

Famitsu: How would you elaborate further on the high degree of freedom in the story?

Suzuki: The story in this game is divided by over 10 eras in the Three Kingdoms period, starting from Yellow Turban Rebellion. In each era, there is a final objective being set such as destroying Dong Zhuo, and when this objective is fulfilled, there will be a major transition to the next era.
Until you take the mission for the final objective, there are also other main objectives that you have to fulfill, and it's up to the player on how to play those individual objectives.

Famitsu: Which means, if the conditions are fulfilled, you can even suddenly fight Dong Zhuo.

Suzuki: Of course it's possible, but the Luoyang city where Dong Zhuo resides in will be guarded very heavily, so even if you directly attack him it won't be easy to beat Dong Zhuo. The advantageous way is to do various missions and requests that happen along the way.
For example, if you clear the mission to conquer Sishui Gate, the mission to attack Hulao Gate will be more advantageous. And then when you conquer Hulao Gate, it will be easier to fight Dong Zhuo at Luoyang. Missions are connected to other missions like this, and by doing them in order it will be easier for you to clear the final objective.

Famitsu: You can clear all the missions, or you can also instantly try to clear the final objective... Indeed, that means each person can play it in their own way.

Suzuki: Even so, the difficulty will be high if you instantly try for the final objective. We've made it so that the battle difficulty can be judged by comparing levels between player character and enemy officers, but when you're no match in a battle, you can also get out of the battlefield area and try again. I think a popular playthrough method would be to first clear nearby missions little by little, and then trying the final objective after that.

Famitsu: Can the game difficulty be freely changed like usual?

Suzuki: We don't assume a difficulty system like before. In this game, we'd like to set the game so that the difficulty can be adjusted by doing things like raising player character's level or clearing related missions. However, as the Dynasty Warriors series has a broad fan-base, we do want to consider things like being able to change difficulty at the options menu.

Source and more details at:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/13379522

vegohead

Gameplay looks awful, was expecting alot more from Omega force. I remember in the early games it was possible to get swarmed by the infantry and they'd kill you.

I was hoping just dynasty warriors 8 was a dud, but I guess the series isn't for me anymore.

"Your a true warrior of the three kingdoms..."

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love everything except when you go to, you know, fight a group of people and they dont do ANYTHING. Same old shit.

Hell, if theyre not gonna do shit make them at least super scared of who theyre fighting against and have some animations that speak to that, not just a bare ass idle animation until a 7ft long spear stabs them in the fucking face.

So frustrating

Memory

Gameplay looks awful, was expecting alot more from Omega force. I remember in the early games it was possible to get swarmed by the infantry and they'd kill you.

I was hoping just dynasty warriors 8 was a dud, but I guess the series isn't for me anymore.

I agree but to be fair Dynasty demo's always looked terrible, the ones when you just leave the title screen on were the absolute worst. I want to see a decent player running through a high difficulty mission and fight a few officers.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I love everything except when you go to, you know, fight a group of people and they dont do ANYTHING. Same old shit.

Hell, if theyre not gonna do shit make them at least super scared of who theyre fighting against and have some animations that speak to that, not just a bare ass idle animation until a 7ft long spear stabs them in the fucking face.

So frustrating

In the past few games there actually was an animation for the soldiers falling back in fear when you catch them unawares (such as when ambushing them from higher ground).

Anyway, I encourage you guys to give omega force the benefit of the doubt with the AI. On the whole, I don't expect the peons to be as capable as they were in the older titles (they used to be able to block, if you can believe it), but I doubt they will be anywhere near this idle in proper non-demo scenarios. I also encourage everyone to try the game on hard, as normal hasn't posed a challenge since the PS2 titles.

I mean, sure, but the fact we're on 9 (well technically 8 because goofy western naming and also technically like, 100 because there's a load of spinoffs) means that it kinda is cutting it.

I don't really get this whole mentality that musou games need to change, they've found a niche that they excel at and I don't think anything else can fill it. The games can be incredibly cathartic at the lower difficulties and get surprisingly rough at the higher ones.
Well the point of this game is to change some things .. that why it goes open world.
There is a clear need to this franchise to change a bit and keep it with the times. It doesn't need to be different , it need to be better.

TreIII

In the past few games there actually was an animation for the soldiers falling back in fear when you catch them unawares (such as when ambushing them from higher ground).

Anyway, I encourage you guys to give omega force the benefit of the doubt with the AI. On the whole, I don't expect the peons to be as capable as they were in the older titles (they used to be able to block, if you can believe it), but I doubt they will be anywhere near this idle in proper non-demo scenarios. I also encourage everyone to try the game on hard, as normal hasn't posed a challenge since the PS2 titles.

Remember the days when groups of Archers were something to respect?

The archers are fine in these games. The peons also still have a 'scared shitless' animation in the demo.

I just don't understand why Omegaforce would intentionally dumb down the a.i. (it was confirmed via blackkite on twitter... which is reassuring I guess) when they could have demonstrated the difficulty between working with the allied forces to force open the gate and facing hordes of enemies after infiltrating the castle. Like would that not have been effective in demonstrating how the player's choice affects their experiences in battle?

From that demo why would you bother taking the time to work with the forces when you could just climb the wall and rush the gate to open it every single time? The former choice becomes automatically redundant.

Just show the a.i. how it's meant to be shown. Ugh.

And give peons their movesets back dammit.

Willenium

I think this looks amazing! I haven't played one of these since PS2 and the graphic upgrade is pretty astonishing.

I'm not too worried about the AI because that's just how I understand these games to work. I'm sure if you want to up the difficulty, there will be ways to do that, but sometimes I find it pretty fun to just mow down hundreds of chumps.

The open-world concept with assorted towns and side-quests throughout different eras sounds really fun and interesting. Hopefully there's a large variety of paths to take, based on your character choice.

I kinda doubt there will be split-screen multiplayer, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Any news on a release date? All I can find is "2017"

Reknoc

Well the point of this game is to change some things .. that why it goes open world.
There is a clear need to this franchise to change a bit and keep it with the times. It doesn't need to be different , it need to be better.

But what people want are changes to the core game which I do not think needs to happen. To me DW is has good as it's ever been with DW8 being with Pirate Warriors 3 as my all time favourite musou games. I think looking at things like the overall structure of the game is a good thing, the open world for instance even if it doesn't end up actually working. Other stuff like more dynamic battlefields would be nice as well.

OF do need to get over the fatuation with easy mode though, not only is it clearly what they showcase the very first thing you see when starting a game is it asking you if you want to play on easy.

wapplew

Some tidbits from interview.
AI was turn into easy setting for demo purpose. Emphasis on time, day night cycle, weather, character aging like growing beard.

ZangBa

I'm the biggest Dynasty Warriors shill on Earth, but let's be honest, what the fuck are these troops doing? It's never been so grating how absolutely lifeless they are until now. I hope it's just like that for purposes of the demo. Bring back Dynasty Warriors 4 difficulty where the damage wasn't turned up to insane and the peons would juggle you into oblivion.

It's annoying to watch Guan Yu stroll through an army like he's going out for a picnic, climb a wall unchallenged by the troops above, jump down and stroll through the army some more and open the gate without any retaliation. That part looked truly awful.

I've watched this like 50 times haha. Easily my most anticipated game, I really hope that KT is aiming for a simultaneous worldwide launch.

Fury451

Banned
THE TROOPS. THEY DO NOTHING.

Like we're in the 9th (mainline) entry, does Omegaforce not care to program at least some aggression in the peons? Even towards each other? Everything else looked amazing but as soon as Guan Yu entered that battle I was turned off immediately by the blankness of it all.

@3:11 of the vid you see a bunch of allied and enemy troops running toward each other before just... randomly stopping and facing each other blankly with swords out like they're having some sort of telepathic battle.

The camp that the player goes through before entering the battlefield being completely deserted is also kinda iffy, but I guess everyone marched into battle leaving absolutely no one to defend.

Whatever my excitement for this has plummeted lemme go play DW3.

Edit: It also would have been nice if the officer/ruler/vagrant playstyle feature from the Empires expansions was adapted into this. Say if you were an officer under Cao Cao you'd be given a squadron of troops (and maybe even some subordinate officers depending on your rank) to command in battle.

I realise that I've set my expectations way to high for a KT game but I can't help it.

Screw 1 vs 1000, DW needs to evolve into a legit battle simulator with some wuxia influence.

The troops in Samurai Warriors 4-II were kinda aggressive on normal. Or maybe it was Orochi 3. Not a massive threat on their own but they could interrupt moves and chip away damage when you're not looking.

Either way, they crank super easy mode for demos.

ZangBa

Not sure if these have been posted anywhere else, but I found some new renders of the key players and a few others:

I'm really happy to see that they've redone all of the faces. As much as I like DW8, it was very much an iteration on 7. After that and Orochi 3, I got pretty tired of those same faces with those same 6 expressions.

And although Yuan Shao still has traces of his nobility nobility blah blah blah I'm conceited can't you tell characterization in his design, he's at least got a proper helmet this time. Sun Jian too; no more of his crazy white hair. Well, at least not in his default costume.

I hope Sun Quan grows a beard, he still looks goofy. He didn't have The Purple Beard nickname for nothing.

I do remember the regular AI being aggressive in 2 and 3 because I would play those games as well even after 5 came out and would return to them during the PS3 days. Around 4, the regular units weren't as aggressive.

DW8 was one of my favorites. =P

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
DW8 was one of my favorites. =P

Definitely better than 6 and 7 (though 7's main narrative was done better). I think DW8XL marks the best refinement we've seen so far of the post-DW5 1 vs 1,000 gameplay focus. The DLC weapon styles they added had some great gimmicks too, and I'm glad to see they've been adopted onto characters (Sun Quan has the flame sword, for instance, instead of the generic dao he and half the cast had in 7, which he was then stuck with when the rest of the cast got new weapons)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Sure, thats fair, but they have shown a blind spot in recognizing what is stopping some people from being excited about their games ... and that worries me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I can't wait, the series needed something new to refresh it and this is it.

I'll get it on PC if it isn't a long release from PS4

CDV13

Lol, I mean, I feel like the enemies are doing nothing because it is a demo. They don't need to be swarmed and getting beat down while trying to show off new elements they added. With most of these games, on hard the enemies will probably be difficult.

Fury451

Banned

Not very. It's what I like about the series. You can pick up the new installment, find a lot that's familiar but also a lot that's new or tweaked.

Willenium

Lol, I mean, I feel like the enemies are doing nothing because it is a demo. They don't need to be swarmed and getting beat down while trying to show off new elements they added. With most of these games, on hard the enemies will probably be difficult.

Exactly. If I was watching a demonstration of a game and it was just the player getting his or her ass handed to them over and over, I would be way less likely to buy the game.

pHand

Hoping that split-screen multiplayer is back. It's been a staple of the series since DW3, but a lot of their recent spin-offs have excluded it, and the open world nature of this game makes me worry even more that they won't bother with co-op.

Also, their recent Sanadamaru PC port was trash. With this being the first DW game built with the PS4 in mind, I can only imagine how horrible the PC port will be.

Raging Spaniard

Exactly. If I was watching a demonstration of a game and it was just the player getting his or her ass handed to them over and over, I would be way less likely to buy the game.

Big difference between "getting his ass kicked" and "enemies doing literally nothing"

If they dont show it in a demo, it means its just not a focus in the game itself. They showed big extravagant combos because thats what the game is selling, the creativity to make giant combos on braindead enemies.

Dont tell me it wouldnt make for an awesome demo to see the playable character dodge, block, parry and still do awesome combos. That would make EVERYONE more excited for the game, so why not show that?

TreIII

They're demoing the game again over at https://www.twitch.tv/playstationhk

Enemies are actually putting up more of a fight, this time. Player has been caught in more than a couple of juggles because of swarms of peons and we see more crowd management. NOW, it's looking more like a Musou game.

EYEL1NER

I'm still not 100% sold on "Open World Dynasty Warriors" and am still pretty averse to change in the franchise, but that looked pretty good. I didn't mind them setting the AI to a low difficulty because I want to see the main characters new moves and animations, just like I want to see Ryu's new combos in a new Street Fighter trailer or something without the other character delivering a light kick and knocking him out of it.
My only thing I think I didn't like from what I saw was Guan Yu's weapon not being visible while not in combat. They put work into giving characters different weapons, creating some elaborate-looking designs, and now the weapons aren't seen most of the time? I kind of hope it is an option that can be toggled, Weapon Visibility: On/Off, but it looked like Guan Yu had an animation of pulling his weapon from its invisible spot on his back, so I imagine there isn't one.

Soodanim

I skipped through the footage in the OP and it was a whole lot of nothing for the most part, but I'm interested because people seem to be fans of it.

I'm someone who has only played Hyrule Warriors, so with that in mind would someone kindly tell me how this will compare or how the previous entries on PC compare?

Think it looks better than I expected. The world scale and detail is going to at the least make for a fairly refreshed DW experience, and I'd say I'm excited as a big RTK (4X Strategy series) fan by the more realistic world and more toned down character art. The new character models look superb, too.

Gotta echo the AI comments... I mean, sure, keep it DW esque I guess in that they aren't challenging and mostly make themselves easy targets. But at least make them kinda move around, 'fake' fight with the enemy or something haha. Perhaps because of the drastically improved graphics and realistic world scale, it looks even sillier than before.

Pleased to see Dong Zhuo using a sword again.

I mean, I know you didn't have to use the bombs but I always preferred him with a sword as his main.

Looks like the Dong Zhuo's sword from DW3, too... He has a fencing stance, and the sword doesn't look like the curved Tyrant Sword. Looks sort of like his DW3 sword Grand Star.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
That was a lot of inaction there. I hope it works out but I also don't know if I trust them to be able to put together a compelling open world DW game on their first attempt... Let's hope for the best

Top Bottom