• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2010 Sony Conference (concluded)

StuBurns

Banned
SolidusDave said:
From the list there should be only doubts about Replika, Bumpy Trot 2 and Ni-Oh (maybe Kurayami and Alive & Undead, too?) and it seems they are still in development, at least not too long ago.
Well Ni-Oh's pubic outing consisted of about six images about five years ago and hasn't been mentioned since. I think it's pretty much dead.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Bumpy Trot 2 was mentioned as being in development as recently as March of this year. (if we don't see anything at TGS, then you can start to wonder)

also Atelier Rorona 2 = Atelier Totori

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Posting PSWii60 games as having "unique" features because they have Move support is a little silly. If the Move support amounts to the exact same controls as Wiimote support, there's no reason to think of the Sony version as exclusive in any way. In the same way as it doesn't make sense to claim that literally every single multiplatform game released in the last 5 years has Wii exclusive features for having motion control support, or every single game released in the last 5 years on the 360 has exclusive features for having "achievements" regardless of if the PS3 version also had trophies.

The PS3 has good exclusive content, so there's no reason to pad the list.

As a result you'd remove Brunswick Pro Bowling, Deadliest Catch, NBA 2k11, Racquet Sports, LOTR Aragorn's Quest, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, and Toy Story 3.

Finally, under the supposedly exclusive titles, Trine 2 has absolutely no platforms announced including PSN. Kurayami doesn't exist.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
StuBurns said:
Agent might be dead, but Versus and TLG certainly aren't.

EDIT: And I'm stunned that game is still in existence, wow.

If you want to know what's really dead. How about that exclusive Namdai project with Sony? I don't remember what's the name of the project but the pics had to do something a disaster or accident. Pics looked really nice.

Stumpokapow said:
Posting PSWii60 games as having "unique" features because they have Move support is a little silly. If the Move support amounts to the exact same controls as Wiimote support, there's no reason to think of the Sony version as exclusive in any way. In the same way as it doesn't make sense to claim that literally every single multiplatform game released in the last 5 years has Wii exclusive features for having motion control support, or every single game released in the last 5 years on the 360 has exclusive features for having "achievements" regardless of if the PS3 version also had trophies.

As a result you'd remove Brunswick Pro Bowling, Deadliest Catch, NBA 2k11, Racquet Sports, LOTR Aragorn's Quest, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11, and Toy Story 3.
this list was announced by Sony, I just added it to show the will of integrating Move into their multiplatform games.
Honestly I didn't even think about the Wii because there are not that many PS360Wii games. I would actually let Wiimote(well... Wiimote+) support pass as an feature but on a technical level the Wii versions are behind the PS360 versions, so you still kinda can only compare PS3 and 360 versions.
But hm, yeah I could remove those games if they are really the same on the Wii.
edit: I marked them.

Finally, under the supposedly exclusive titles, Trine 2 has absolutely no platforms announced including PSN. Kurayami doesn't exist.
Actually, I just saw some sites say Trine 2 will be on 360&PC&PS3 so I'll remove it in any case...

But why does Kurayami not exist (besides vaporware status)?
http://www.destructoid.com/suda-51-s-ps3-exclusive-revealed-as-kurayami-144650.phtml

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:
Well Ni-Oh's pubic outing consisted of about six images about five years ago and hasn't been mentioned since. I think it's pretty much dead.

actually they re-announced it for PS3 in PlayStation Premiere Jul 2007 ( was Koei boss and Ni-oh logo in the big screen ) and then there was nothing , so yeah it's dead.

Kurosawa's Oni project was cursed anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SolidusDave said:
Honestly I didn't even think about the Wii because there are not that many PS360Wii games.

There aren't many worthwhile PS360Wii games, certainly, but that only serves to support how silly it is to include Brunswick Pro Bowling on a list for literally anything. A 3 year late port of a 52 metacritic bowling game?

Moreover, you'd better get used to there being plenty of PS3Wii games coming up. Aragorn's Quest is just the beginning; virtually every family-oriented game that would have been Wii exclusive will now get a PS3 version. Some will get 360 versions without motion controls, others will be PS3Wii only. Either way, it's not something you need to put on an exclusive lineup for the PS3.

I would actually let Wiimote(well... Wiimote+) support pass as an feature but on a technical level the Wii versions are behind the PS360 versions, so you still kinda can only compare PS3 and 360 versions.

This is also silly because it's a circular definition.

What counts as a PS3 exclusive? A game you can only play on PS3 or that has unique features on PS3. What counts as being a unique feature? Well, not the controls, because Wii games have those. Not the graphics, because 360 games have those. What you've come to is that something counts as a unique feature if you want to count something as having a unique feature--do 360 games count as being unique if they perform better than the PS3 or allow multiple sign-in local co-op? Of course not. It's a weird distinction to make.

SolidusDave said:

1. Announced in 2006 with no title or information.
2. Absolutely no update for three full years, at which point it resurfaces in an interview where the president of the publisher says "If we do that [game] we might go bankrupt"
3. At no point in the now four years since it being announced has there been any in-game media, any progress reports, and this is all despite the tiny studio supposedly working on it releasing a half-dozen games in the meantime.
4. The supposed publisher of the game announced in 2010 that they did not plan to publish any new IP.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stumpokapow said:

Good point.

But how do you post/treat games that are multiplatform but have some exclusive content due to the peripheral of choice for that console? (not just controls, but content) For example Toy Story 3 has the PS3 only side missions/content with the Move.

I dont care either way, I am just curious and it may be a reason why the console makers themselves list the games as "exclusive". And I dont mean exclusive DLC or whatever, but significant game portions at launch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AndyD said:
Good point.

But how do you post/treat games that are multiplatform but have some exclusive content due to the peripheral of choice for that console? (not just controls, but content) For example Toy Story 3 has the PS3 only side missions/content with the Move.

Definitely a question worth considering.

If there are specific side missions, content, or DLC, I'd count it as being worthy of being put on a list, certainly. I mean substantial stuff too--10 minutes of exclusive content in a 30 hour game or some stupid "PS3 gets the laser rifle from the beginning, other consoles unlock it two hours in" style stuff doesn't count. If each console gets roughly equivalent "unique" content (IE Soul Calibur 4; each console had unique content), then it shouldn't count.

I hadn't read about the PS3 only side missions for Toy Story 3. Someone who has (although I'd question their taste in games, definitely) would be better equipped than me to determine whether it makes sense to list the exclusive content as an actual, bona fide bullet point for the PS3 version.

I dont care either way, I am just curious and it may be a reason why the console makers themselves list the games as "exclusive". And I dont mean exclusive DLC or whatever, but significant game portions at launch.

I think that both Sony and Microsoft have been very quick this generation to literally ignore the Wii whenever convenient to make themselves look #1 when they're #2. It makes relatively little sense to ignore the PC, and it makes absolutely no sense to ignore the Wii.

I also think that both Sony and Microsoft have been very quick this generation to claim something is "exclusive" if it is "first" on their console--Microsoft gets "exclusive" Call of Duty DLC because they get it first. Sony is getting "exclusive" Dead Space extraction. Both platforms are talking about "exclusive" beta access.

Basically, I think that most of the time they're grasping at straws, and I think GAF ought to be better than that by providing posts that aggregate content in a way that best represents the information readers want as opposed to the specific corporate spin du jour.

Afrikan

Galvanise_ said:
Sorcery was shown in that Move developer update video at Gamescom last year, albeit very briefly. I'd been looking forward to it and I was not disappointed.

There was also the game that appeared to be a survival horror IP from Sony in the same video. Hopefully thats revealed at Gamescom. Here is an image of its brief appearance in that same trailer.

man I still haven't bought Siren, but I hope it gets Move support and I can get it this October for Halloween.....wishful thinking but it'd be cool if they had a 3D update as well...I'm thinking of getting 3DTV soon....but hopefully all around at that time.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stumpokapow said:
Definitely a question worth considering.

I think that both Sony and Microsoft have been very quick this generation to literally ignore the Wii whenever convenient to make themselves look #1 when they're #2. It makes relatively little sense to ignore the PC, and it makes absolutely no sense to ignore the Wii.

I fully agree, which is why I brought it up in order to perhaps get some guidelines for other threads as well when people start the spin machines. One of my favorite GAF faux-pas is not including PC and Wii as you mentioned when it comes to competing platforms, but including the sales on those platforms in total game sales in other arguments.

Bringing up Toy Story 3 again, I haven't played it but its the most recent released game for which I heard of exclusive stuff one way or another. Here is an official description of the exclusive stuff, which is a fully playable character, Zurg.

Zurg is quite a bit different from our other playable characters, which allowed us to create some fun things to do specifically as Zurg in Toy Box Mode. He’s the only character with a cannon, and his move set is completely different from our other playable characters. He has many of his own missions, and he even has his own vehicle — the Zurgmobile — complete with hood-mounted cannon. My favorite Zurg pastime is just running around the Toy Box and blasting the townspeople. His evil laugh is great too…MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/10/toy-story-3-hits-ps3-june-15th-its-all-about-zurg/

It seems to me that this falls in the actual content category you mentioned as its a character with moves and mechanics, levels and missions in addition to the rest of the content. Am I wrong?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AndyD said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/10/toy-story-3-hits-ps3-june-15th-its-all-about-zurg/

It seems to me that this falls in the actual content category you mentioned as its a character with moves and mechanics, levels and missions in addition to the rest of the content. Am I wrong?

Well your link is the first I've heard of it since I don't follow movie license games in general, but yes that sounds pretty darn substantial to me and I'd definitely consider that a unique feature for the PS3 version!

KZObsessed said:
ooh that actually looks quite good. Hopefully it's actually a game.

Well Sorcery turned out to be. There was only few seconds of footage of this in the trailer, so I think this was put in to whet our appetite.

Stumpokapow said:

ok, point taken, I don't want it to read like a Sony PR.

I split the Move&3D multi-games from the content-exclusive games.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21983022&postcount=4386
That way it's just a list of games which feature Move and/or 3D. This is still interesting for PS3 owners so I want to keep it in.
I also split games which are not 100% officially announced and the lists should now be free from Vaporeware (which are a list themselves) until we know more at GC/TGS

When it comes to mere exclusive features, I think we need to differentiate between system features of the device itself and features only a single game version has implemented. That's why I kept Portal 2 even though it has no content advantage. But.. eh.. maybe I should remove this that list completely.

Jeels

Mudkips said:
So I saw an ad on tv.
marcuspsp

So bad.
So, so bad.

I don't know, I think the Marcus stuff works well for the demographics and age groups they are going after. It definitely resonates there, even though the advertisements are silly.

Top Bottom