• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2016: What Games will Nintendo announce / tease for NX

Pokemaniac

They were actually considering Melee+, not just a straight port of Melee. Smash 4's port would be to buy time for Smash 5 to be made since Sakurai's supposedly still on his "extended vacation".

If they're porting Smash 4, it's really going to end up being Smash 4.5.

Neoxon

If they're porting Smash 4, it's really going to end up being Smash 4.5.
Isn't Sakurai still on his vacation? That alone would rule out the potential for extra content beyond what was already DLC (unless the Ice Climbers were near-finished on the Wii U). "Smash 4: Complete Edition" would be a more apt name.

Pokemaniac

Isn't Sakurai still on his vacation? That alone would rule out the potential for extra content beyond what was already DLC. "Smash 4: Complete Edition" would be a more apt name.

With Sakurai's work ethic, an "extended vacation" could easily mean that he just took a week off. We really have no idea how long he's vacationing for.

Neoxon

With Sakurai's work ethic, an "extended vacation" could easily mean that he just took a week off. We really have no idea how long he's vacationing for.
But didn't he do an interview a good long while after Smash 4 was completed talking about his vacation? As for the update, Bandai Namco could have easily done the balance changes on their own.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They were actually considering Melee+, not just a straight port of Melee. Smash 4's port would be to buy time for Smash 5 to be made since Sakurai's supposedly still on his "extended vacation".

Wrong, it was going to be "straight" port with online mode being slapped on. No changes to characters or game engine. Why are you so keen to be so obsessive with "Extended Vacation"? Despite that I already proved you an counterargument with one of Sakurai's quote.

But didn't he do an interview a good long while after Smash 4 was completed talking about his vacation? As for the update, Bandai Namco could have easily done the balance changes on their own.

If you are talking about Famitsu live stream, that was recorded.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I apologized for double post but I think it's needed.

I admits that we don’t really know anything about Smash NX and what it’s going to be. I want to start with what we already know. We only have a rumor from Dr. Toto which claimed Smash NX is planned to be one of launch titles for Nintendo NX.

VVe4vBB.png

KL9YeZ5.png

I’m totally aware that people already know that Sakura is on an extended vacation. I think people might look into this too literally because it could meant anything depend on people's preference of word-usages. I meant, there is an article that Sakurai implied that his vacation might be short. I know it's easy to cherry-picking to temper our disappointments.

Sakurai could take a break from industry and let Bandai-Namco handle the port job. When the team is done with their port and code job with Smash NX, he could come back to development. If I recalled correctly, I remembered an article claims that Bandai-Namco working on porting Brawl to New Smash, and getting the prototype ready for Sakurai awhile he's working on Kid Icarus. (I might be wrong on that)

But short development schedule? We don't know what they are up to. It's possible that they wouldn't change that much between Smash for and Smash NX. But there is a chance they might do so we shouldn’t forget the fact that they already have assets ready for 58 characters, stages, etc.

Also I would like to point it out that It only took Sakurai and his small team to make 7 characters, 9 stages and many Mii Costumes within 16 months which is pretty impressive. Imagine bigger team with 13 months. It only take two years and half to make 51 characters with a huge team, along with many contents like stages, single players, etc.

Sakurai is one of most proud developer so I'm not sure if he would like the idea of Smash 3DS/Wii U being a port job to Smash NX and just simply leave it alone. I meant he would rather to make Brawl over letting them port Melee with internet mode to Wii. A guy who shared information about Sakurai (the guy who got fired) said that Sakurai is very hand-on with Smash Bros Franchise so I could imagine that he's going to work on next Smash Bros (maybe for last time (Port or not,)) Also he really like to work on Smash Bros because he felt that he could work on interesting things, and he's unsure if team is ready to work on Smash Bros without him. Here is his statement on his opinion.

Regard with New Contents,

Sakurai already acknowledged that characters are the perfect tool to hyping up the audiences and to build up the interest for the audiences to purchase new Smash. Personally, I think Sakurai knew Smash is one of most high profile franchise and have the power to move the consoles, so I think it might be their best interests to include brand new contents for the fans to purchase the game again. I know it's very debatable with the fact it doesn't need new contents for some fans to re-purchase the game.

He already felt that Smash for 3DS and Wii U already went passed the limit for Smash Bros franchise. Also it would made an excellent counterargument that we might not get any new characters in Smash NX. (I would like to mention the comments Sakurai made was in Jan 2015)

My final comment:
After those quotes, I just can't imagine that Sakurai would leave up the port job to Bandai-Namco and call it for day. I think Nintendo and Sakurai actually know that people would be excited to see more new characters, and motivated them to pick up Smash NX and Next Gen console. However I think it's best to expect the worst for Smash NX. Either it goes, I'm going to be there on day 1 if I could.

Axass

Reposting this from another thread.

Seeing as this year's offerings are mainly done by affiliate studios or are smaller projects, I think we can hope for a big release window line-up, and an even better first year all around, especially if the games are going to be playable on both handheld NX and home system NX like many are speculating, removing the need to develop for two different platforms:

(the divisions are no longer correct of course, but for speculation sake, I'll leave the old team names)

EAD, Kyoto Production Department, Group No. 1 (Hideki Konno)
- Mario Kart NX?

EAD, Kyoto Production Department, Group No. 2 (Hisashi Nogami)
- Splatoon 2 or new project?

EAD, Kyoto Production Department, Group No. 3 (Eiji Aonuma)
- The Legend of Zelda (announced)

EAD, Kyoto Production Department, Group No. 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura)
- Pikmin 4? (announced)

EAD, Tokyo Production Department, Group No. 1 (Takao Shimizu)
- Super Mario Galaxy 3 or other 3D Mario game?

EAD, Tokyo Production Department, Group No. 2 (Yoshiaki Koizumi)
- Luigi's Mansion 3 or new project? (rumored)

Retro Studios - New Metroid?
ND Cube - Mario Party 11?
Monolith Soft - New entry in the Xenoblade series?
Monster Games - Diddy Kong Racing 2? (rumored)

Namco Bandai - Super Smash Bros. definitive edition? (rumored)
Ubisoft - Beyond Good & Evil 2? (rumored)

Of course, not all of those are gonna happen and not all in the first year, still it's great stuff to look forward to. Having the games scale accordingly on both systems would be exceptional for Nintendo's usual drought problem.

In particular I can see these first party titles being announced at E3:

1 - Pikmin 4
2 - The Legend of Zelda NX
3 - Super Smash Bros. NX "Remaster"
4 - New 3D Mario game
5 - New Retro Studios game
6 - New IP to show the console's capabilities
7 - New IP

I do hope that whenever Monolithsoft is ready to show their game they show it at E3 instead of a Direct. It's sure to get massive hype going by X's trailer reaction.

This. Their XCX game trailer sold me a Wii U. Been a fan since the beginning of the Xeno games.
But yeah, it's probably too soon for them to tease anything at launch this time.

TDLink

You put up a good argument for Metroid. But as for Pokémon, there's still two glaring holes.
  • Trev not being told about Sun/Moon being cross-gen, despite him being told about Zelda U's cross-gen development.
  • All signs pointing to the NX Console being the first to launch, thus Game Freak having little reason to support the platform until the handheld counterpart drops (assuming that the shared library rumor pans out).
Now don't get me wrong, I'd love Gen 7 on the NX Platform. I just highly doubt that it'll happen.

Trev not knowing something is not reason to discount it. We have no idea what his source is and regardless his knowledge is in no way comprehensive. In terms of the console launching before the handheld, at the same time, at different times...whatever...there is no real "Signs" pointing to anything specific. The only "signs" we have are that NX of some sort is going to be out this holiday. I don't see the point in trying to argue one way or the other based on a baseless assumption like that.

The reason they haven't shown footage could also just be the standard Pokemon information drip feed.

Also, there may not be precedent, but there are very good reasons why these games aren't typically cross-gen. Especially going 3DS to NX, things could get really awkward.

Previous Pokemon gens, including the last one, had footage revealed when it was announced. This new set of games have not. We'll see what happens. Pokemon is definitely going to be a big part of Nintendo's E3 and it being the only big thing that is not NX-related would also be strange.

Neoxon

Trev not knowing something is not reason to discount it. We have no idea what his source is and regardless his knowledge is in no way comprehensive. In terms of the console launching before the handheld, at the same time, at different times...whatever...there is no real "Signs" pointing to anything specific. The only "signs" we have are that NX of some sort is going to be out this holiday. I don't see the point in trying to argue one way or the other based on a baseless assumption like that.
The fact that we already know everything that's coming to the Wii U this year (according to Trev) & that the 3DS still has quite a few games left this year definitely indicates that the console will be out the door first. Trev's source even inferred the same thing, though it was more of said source speculating & agreeing with a post that I made on the subject.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The fact that we already know everything that's coming to the Wii U this year (according to Trev) & that the 3DS still has quite a few games left this year definitely indicates that the console will be out the door first. Trev's source even inferred the same thing, though it was more of said source speculating & agreeing with a post that I made on the subject.

Yes, but his point is the source probably doesn't know everything. I meant it's strange that we haven't know anything about NX games but Zelda U port. Zelda U Port is only NX game that we got from the source, and I do believe he probably doesn't know everything at the moment. There is no way that we are going to have one NX game coming out this year.

Neoxon

Yes, but his point is the source probably doesn't know everything. I meant it's strange that we haven't know anything about NX games but Zelda U port. Zelda U Port is only NX game that we got from the source, and I do believe he probably doesn't know everything at the moment. There is no way that we are going to have one NX game coming out this year.
I'm not saying that we're only getting one NX Platform game, but rather that Zelda U is the only game being released this year on another Nintendo platform that will also receive an NX Platform port. Smash 4 advertising ended, so there's no budget to transfer over to the NX Platform version (most of the non-Direct DLC advertising was in Japan & Europe, not so much in the Americas).

bman94

The gyro at least is a safe bet, and the second screen bit isn't too hard to replicate on TV.

The touch screen mechanics like jumping straight to a designated location would be hard to replicate.

Having a screen in the controller and having 2 screens to work with in games is something Nintendo really really really really really really wants to make work. They've been working on this for decades starting with GBA connectivity on the GCN. Wii U was a setback that they can learn from, but the idea is solid, and based on what little we know about NX it doesn't look like they are giving up on it.

Also, I'm not saying I believe all controllers will have that feature, I'm saying they should. Wii U failed, but people seriously underappreciate how awesome it is having a second screen in the controller. Wii U may have undersold the Wii-like innovative gameplay mechanics making use of the second screen, but the amount of utility a touch screen adds to more mundane functions is great. Browsing menus and entering text especially. These tasks feel archaic with more traditional controllers. That kind of utility really needs to become standard. If they can make the controller more attractive people will probably give it a better chance, which appears to be their intent with that screen controller patent.

I'm not denying that those features are well suited to gaming, i'm just saying would it be financially wise for Nintendo to move forward with second screen controllers. It's only going to get more expensive when you introduce HD resolutions and multi touch screens. Isn't the Wii U gamepad around $100 to manufacture? It's a hard sale to make to have an even expensive controller without sacrificing power in the system itself while keeping a competitive price.

I wonder if Pikmin 4 will be on NX.

I feel like it should be. A new console to take advantage of the tech and could likely sell more than it ever could on the Wii U. Of course, it would cost more to develop, but if its already in development, it shouldn't matter.

Astral Dog

Super Smash Bros four NX
Zelda NXU
Pikmin 4
"real" 3D Mario
Metroid X DKC
Batonetta 3.

a few more but those are the big ones.

Ansatz

I'm not denying that those features are well suited to gaming, i'm just saying would it be financially wise for Nintendo to move forward with second screen controllers. It's only going to get more expensive when you introduce HD resolutions and multi touch screens. Isn't the Wii U gamepad around $100 to manufacture? It's a hard sale to make to have an even expensive controller without sacrificing power in the system itself while keeping a competitive price.

Multi touch? I think resistive is a given considering Miiverse drawings.

The thing is if Nintendo wants to achieve control scheme parity between the console and handheld for cross buy purposes then a controller with a screen is likely to happen.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its Nintendo. They might not announce any game when they formally announce the NX.

I'm guessing we'll at least see:
Zelda
3D Mario
Minecraft
Metroid
New IP for launch
At least one port

All pretty realistic but I'd take out Minecraft and Metroid.

I'd replace Metroid with Pikmin 4.

Not entirely sure Retro's game will be there because I remember one E3 I was 99% sure it would and it wasn't.

dtm808

Id put something Nintendo x SE related on the list based on their current relationship being very strong (Dragon Quest/MH/Bravely/Smash 4/etc).

RagnarokX

Id put something Nintendo x SE related on the list based on their current relationship being very strong (Dragon Quest/MH/Bravely/Smash 4/etc).

I imagine FF7r is a lock for NX and we already know DQXI is. I could see NX as lead platform for the home console version of DQXI considering their relationship and Square seems stoked about NX. If Nintendo can get FFXV and KH3, too, that'd really hit it out of the park. Imagine an NX version of KH3 with a Nintendo-specific world.

Roo

We can't really be talking about porting Splatoon without knowing what the controller actually is. Splatoon kind of relies on motion controls and touch screen.

Well, unless they plan to make the Splatoon IP Wii U exclusive forever then NX will be compatible with the gamepad/will have its own controller with screen or they'll tweak the game in order to play without one.

At that point knowing what the controller looks like is no longer relevant.

MomoQca

This. Their XCX game trailer sold me a Wii U. Been a fan since the beginning of the Xeno games.
But yeah, it's probably too soon for them to tease anything at launch this time.

Agreed. I don't expect to hear about the game until around 2018/2019, aka an ETERNITY. :(

Aters

Give me some DQXI NX footage.
I mean I'll still play it on PS4 but it's always good to see new game footage of DQXI.

jdstorm

Banned
OP got it pretty right with his confirmed list.

New EAD Mario Game,
Zelda WiiU
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 - My placeholder name for Retro Studios new project
Smash Bros 4 NX port
Splatoon NX Port/ sequel
Mario Kart 9
Mario Maker NX port

Then a large focus on 3rd party games like Monster Hunter X - ultimate, FIFA, Destiny, COD, FFXV. Nintendo needs to prove that the NX will have full and robust 3rd party support if they don't want to be DOA.

If most of those games are due out this year that is a very strong launch lineup.

Edit: the NX is going to be a handheld. Either a DS style screen for the map at the bottom of the screen or Some way to stream the game to the TV out of a 2nd output

AntMurda

Edit: the NX is going to be a handheld. Either a DS style screen for the map at the bottom of the screen or Some way to stream the game to the TV out of a 2nd output

Not according to Iwata's last briefings nor recent patents. I mean I don't know what you have to go on. We all know that isn't going to fly in the western market.

ReyVGM

What rumors are these?

During SE's conference last year, they accidentally confirmed they were bringing Dragon Quest 10 and 11 for the NX, and said they were also considering bringing Final Fantasy 14.
Then they denied those games were coming.

FF15 is assumed to come, and so is FF7R due to Cloud being on Smash. That doesn't mean anything, but it did spark a ton of chatter about FF7R coming to the NX and I'm sure Nintendo thought about that too. Let's hope they are aggressively courting Square this time around.

It's about god damned time proper Final Fantasy comes back to Nintendo home consoles.

Javier

My predictions (Either Day 1 or launch window):

1st Party:

- Zelda U NX
- New 3D Mario
- Splatoon 2
- Pikmin 4
- New game featuring Donkey Kong Jr. (Based on this)
- Super Smash Bros 4 NX
- New Retro Studios game (Neither DK or Metroid)
- Mario Kart 9 (Uses MK8 engine, but it's not an MK8 port)
- Kirby game
- New Warriors game from Tecmo (Fire Emblem Warriors, maybe?)
- New F-Zero
- At least two major collaborations with big studios. (Bayonetta 3? Nintendo Vs. Capcom?)

3rd Party:

- EA will do some early support with their annual stuff like FIFA and Madden, and will continue supporting if things prove successful.
- Activision will probably port a couple of COD titles early on, but will definitely support with Skylanders.
- Ubisoft will definitely be there at launch with Just Dance 2017 (The one and only 3rd Party title that is 100% confirmed Day 1, IMO) and ports of some of their big titles at the time. If a new Rayman happens, it will be there as well. I'm also hopeful for the Beyond Good & Evil 2 rumor being true.
- Square Enix will definitely support with Dragon Quest and maybe Final Fantasy. The timing for FF15 and FF7R seems to line up.
- Namco and Capcom will definitely make something. Not sure what but they'll support the system early on.
- Indies will love NX and they'll support it in a similar (maybe better) way they did Wii U.

Neoxon

Previous Pokemon gens, including the last one, had footage revealed when it was announced. This new set of games have not. We'll see what happens. Pokemon is definitely going to be a big part of Nintendo's E3 and it being the only big thing that is not NX-related would also be strange.
Strange, but not unlikely. The 3DS still has a decent year ahead of it, with its successor not expected for at least a year. Having a 3DS segment during the Digital Event/Press Conference/Whatever isn't unheard of. And if Nintendo wants their main presentation to be nothing but NX Platform news, they can always relegate any remaining Wii U/3DS news to a Mini Direct.

jnWake

My final comment:
After those quotes, I just can't imagine that Sakurai would leave up the port job to Bandai-Namco and call it for day. I think Nintendo and Sakurai actually know that people would be excited to see more new characters, and motivated them to pick up Smash NX and Next Gen console. However I think it's best to expect the worst for Smash NX. Either it goes, I'm going to be there on day 1 if I could.

We shouldn't forget the Smash Ballot either. I strongly doubt they made a huge online poll only to release 1 DLC character for Smash 4.

Pokemaniac

Umm, ORAS didn't. I'm pretty sure Black and White didn't. I'm sure I could find more if I looked back farther.

Also, Pokemon's E3 presence is typically pretty minimal. 2013 with X and Y was unusual.

In addition to what everyone is saying, I think it's highly likely we'll see a Platinum Games collaboration in the launch window, or at least announced in that window. It might not be Bayonetta 3 or Wonderful 102, but Nintendo and Platinum seem to be very chummy now so I'm sure we'll see something, even if it isn't what people expect.

ika

Dreams and hopes (lol)

First Party reel:

-The Legend of Zelda U/NX
-Super Mario Maker+ (remaster, dlc, new themes and stuff)
-Retro Studios project (not Metroid, not DKCR)
-Metroid colaboration
-Super Mario 3D project (Tokyo Studio)
-MonolithSoft teaser
-New IP (board game, mini-game, quirky game)
-Racing game (WaveRace, F-Zero, 1080º, Excite)
-Smash 4 Complete
-Fatal Frame Collection

Six completely new games and four existing games/ports/remasters.

Third Party:

-One exclusive third party game (new IP)
-Soul Calibur/Tekken game
-Ni no Kuni
-Bayonetta 3
-Sonic game
-Monster Hunter
-Resident Evil project
-Final Fantasy VIIR
-Dragon Quest X, XI
-Watch Dogs 2
-Just Dance 17
-Beyond Good and Evil 2
-New Call of Duty
-Star Wars game

-Some EA Sports test games
-Some quick ports
-Some indie games

----------

Reality check (low expectations, cynicism, yadda yadda yadda):

First Party:

-The Legend of Zelda U/NX
-Smash 4 HD
-3D Mario Project (Tokyo Studio)
-Next "Nintendo Land" kind of surprise
-Pikmin 4
-DKCR3
-Wario Ware NX
-Project Giant Robot

Third Party:

-One exclusive third party game (new IP)
-Sonic game
-Monster Hunter
-Dragon Quest X
-Watch Dogs 2
-Just Dance 17

-Some EA Sports test games
-Some quick ports
-Some indie games

Instro

In addition to what everyone is saying, I think it's highly likely we'll see a Platinum Games collaboration in the launch window, or at least announced in that window. It might not be Bayonetta 3 or Wonderful 102, but Nintendo and Platinum seem to be very chummy now so I'm sure we'll see something, even if it isn't what people expect.

I doubt it. They have like 4 games in production right now as it is. Maybe the Star Fox team moves forward with a new Nintendo collaboration, but that would be something further down the road for sure.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I found it weird that I'm literally hyped for Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 9 and Smash 4 NX instead of other Nintendo franchises. Those three games are only reasons why I'm picking up the consoles awhile rest of the games are going to be bonus to me. I wonder if there are anyone that are going to pick up new consoles just based on those three trifecta.

We shouldn't forget the Smash Ballot either. I strongly doubt they made a huge online poll only to release 1 DLC character for Smash 4.

You actually got a good point there. I didn't really think about that. I suppose that I could throw Amiibo into this as well. They could continue Smash Amiibo by including new characters in Port version to rake in the money. :p

Neoxon

Umm, ORAS didn't. I'm pretty sure Black and White didn't. I'm sure I could find more if I looked back farther.

Also, Pokemon's E3 presence is typically pretty minimal. 2013 with X and Y was unusual.
For X/Y & OR/AS, The Pokémon Company just provided a trailer & called it a day.

Jeff6851

Here's what I expect

Smash 4 Definitive
Zelda NX
Mario Galaxy 3 (or some other 3D Mario)
Some tech demo like Wii Sports

If all of those came at launch along with a few of these (in the first year at least), I'd be all over this system

Animal Crossing
Metroid
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Pikmin 4

Josh5890

Within the first 12 months of the Wii's release we were treated to from Nintendo....

Wii Sports
Twilight Princess
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Play (free controller!!!!!)
Big Brain Academy
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Super Mario Galaxy
Link's Crossbow Training

Not to mention a huge start with the Virtual Console in the first 12 months as well. Nintendo has a chance to do something similar again with the NX that they didn't accomplish with the Wii-U.

Top Bottom