• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

iceatcs

One publisher down chance for games with gold. Didn't matter cos EA haven't gave a free game on Gold members yet.

Amir0x

Banned
Is it good value? Y/N. That's the only thing that matters. Oh no we don't get infinite free trials how terrible.

Should be cautious? Yes. Should you be aware? Yes. Should you say no solely based off past grievances? No.

If their grievances were actually far in the past, I'd agree. But even this very second the Sims 4 controversy is ongoing. This is not about being aware, this is about a company who is still actively engaging in shit that is bad for gamers. Every single day. I'm not telling you to listen to me or even protest. I don't care what you do with your money. I am simply sharing my opinion that as long as EA is still EA, I will not put my money in a situation where they will get access to dock my pay once a year. I will however keep observing what goes on, since their success could - in my opinion - dangerously mean other companies follow suit.

Then our games will disappear into the digital ether, snatched away the second Activision or EA or Ubisoft close shop or decide the service is no longer working for them or whatever. These are companies who have demonstrated daily they do not deserve out trust, but some amongst us seem to be willing to give them access to the ability to take our games away at any whim. You may say it may be in the distant future, but I don't want them gone at any point.

But that's just my opinion. Like I said, I am genuinely amused by the volume of individuals who seem ready to take the plunge for the reasons I have already stated. I respect everyone's right to consider this the greatest value known to man. I think it is fun to share opinions with one another, especially when they differ.

Any other companies you don't support?

Yes. For example, despite Dark Souls and Demon Soul's being two of my favorite games, I did not support Dark Souls II due to their last minute change of the entire visual engine and only giving gamers four weeks notice. I expect companies to be honest to me, that's a pretty simple principle as far as I'm concerned. EA has not been to anyone, so I can't give them the trust in the present. Maybe in the future if they change their ways.

TeRey09

Very true... and because of those incidents i tend to stay away from many EA titles. This Access deal is another anti-consumer package wrapped up in a bow that has "Value!" bedazzled all over the box.

I hope people catch on quick with this scam. 5 bucks a month for a 10 dollar discount on digital titiles, access to their greatest hits collection, and timed demoes?

there's no real value here. your paying for marketing promotions

Anti Consumer? Scam? WHAT?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well I have definitely been laughing anyway! Speak for yourself!

Man I dunno. It's cool that you don't want to participate in this program but in my humble opinion it's totally not cool for you to openly laugh in the face of your fellow GAF members that decide to join this program.

You don't get to "Oh it's cool, it's cool, up to you." and say stuff like "I am laughing and amused by you." in the same sentence and expect people not to be upset.

But eh, I guess it's whatever.

I'll explain it for those who don't get it:

1. Whether it's the full game on a time limit, or a vertical slice, it's still a demo by definition.

2. 6 hours is not enough time to get a feel for ANY game, let alone a sports game. A game usually has more than one mode. So, if this were Battlefield we were talking about, then a 6 hr time limit would only be enough time to cover the campaign, assuming you never die while playing. But there's still the other modes to consider.

Sports games have more than just quick play modes. You have franchise/association modes, practice modes, roster editing, online play, etc. Not too mention even a single game of Madden with 5 minute quarters can take over an hour to complete, with all the timeouts, breaks and stoppages that can all occur in a game. And that's assuming you don't end up going to overtime.

3. For those who keep posting that screencap, saying "for a limited time" is not the same as saying "for 6 hours across 5 days".

4. Comparing this to the PS+ timed trials is not really beneficial to the discussion; A better comparison is EA Season Ticket. In that now-defunct program, you got to play the game for an unlimited time frame within the early access window. The "Access" version of this version of early access is a regression from how it used to be.

Hopefully, people will read this post before going "lol why is everyone outraged?"

Are you upset that EA is not letting you finish a single player campaign of a new game for $5?

LOL at all the people that think paying for what used to be a free demo is great or "alright".

The Madden access they had before used to have allowed the game to be played for 5 days straight before release. Now they throw this out to you and its still "great". Amazing.

EA Access:

Pay 5$ or 30$ for a 6 Hour Trial that used to be free as a demo

Get Access to Year old sports games that no one will give a rats ass about when the new one is out anyway. And if you really believe they will release their other big IP on EA Access within 6month timeframes then prepare to be disappointed.

5$ off a digital game you cant resell. You can get 5$ off the physical disc literally ANYWHERE just look. Hell Gamestop gives 5$ off for preordering.

But I guess people are fine with wasting money for the convenience of not having to get up to switch a disc...

Holy fuck....why are people failing to understand this? It's cool if you have beef with EA Access but at least get you facts straight. Jesus

You get access to the FULL game for 6 hours.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's FIVE DOLLARS. The cost of a fucking starbucks.

Everyone knows what they're getting into when they buy it. Right?

I love how much the definition of value has changed in the game industry in the past few years.

I actually do. That wasn't sarcastic.

But by all means: Stomp your feet! Pull your hair!

I'm sure it will go down!

Amir0x

Banned
What a surprise, someone in the industry who doesn't like when consumers make a stand about something.

It's not for your benefit. It's for my own. And other people also have to make sure they support companies that are supportive of gamers, not submitting practices that hurt us. You guys really think you just are owed our money, don't you?

Edit: I mean, just listen. You're saying "it's FIVE DOLLARS" as if that money is just something we should give away without consideration. Everything I buy I think about and evaluate before I do. That's called being responsible.

Laughing Banana said:
Man I dunno. It's cool that you don't want to participate in this program but in my humble opinion it's totally not cool for you to openly laugh in the face of your fellow GAF members that decide to join this program.

You don't get to "Oh it's cool, it's cool, up to you." and say stuff like "I am laughing and amused by you." in the same sentence and expect people not to be upset.

But eh, I guess it's whatever.

I'm not laughing at them. I am laughing at the idea that so many people are willing to support the company after all they've done, and all they continue to do. That is so amazing to me. That's a legitimate feeling. If you're offended by that, I apologize.

Dunlop

What a surprise, someone in the industry who doesn't like when consumers make a stand about something.

It's not for your benefit. It's for my own. And other people also have to make sure they support companies that are supportive of gamers, not submitting practices that hurt us. You guys really think you just are owed our money, don't you?
Who are you talking about, Sony?

Amir0x

Banned
Who are you talking about, Sony?

What are you talking about?

Edit: If you're talking about Sony not doing this, I'm against that. I think gamers should have a choice to buy EA subscription service, even if I personally don't trust them enough yet after all they've done to buy in. I do not think that is smart of Sony to arbitrarily start deciding when something is a "value" to their consumers

Amir0x

Banned
Lol nvm, think I read your post wrong

It's all good. I just want to be clear I think Sony absolutely should allow the EA subscription service on PS4. I think it's silly not to. For that matter, I hope Wii U gets it at some point, though I'm not sure EA even think that's worth it.

I just am very skeptical because of the company involved, and am observing with some concern because I believe the longterm implications may be negative. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, we'll see. If I am proven wrong, nobody loses. I get a service that is a good and an industry that has improved somehow, and everyone else who was always on the train will say they've had a good time from the start.

Edit: I mean, just listen. You're saying "it's FIVE DOLLARS" as if that money is just something we should give away without consideration. Everything I buy I think about and evaluate before I do. That's called being responsible.

I'm not laughing at them. I am laughing at the idea that so many people are willing to support the company after all they've done, and all they continue to do. That is so amazing to me. That's a legitimate feeling. If you're offended by that, I apologize.

Well people say 5 dollars because, it gives you access to:

4 games for a month.

If you subscribe on a month for a game that you like from EA, you get access to the full game for 6 hours and if you are sure to keep it, you get a %10 discount on top of that.

People are not arguing that anyone should give their money away. I'm arguing that there is Value to this proposition.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
What are you talking about?

Edit: If you're talking about Sony not doing this, I'm against that. I think gamers should have a choice to buy EA subscription service, even if I personally don't trust them enough yet after all they've done to buy in. I do not think that is smart of Sony to arbitrarily start deciding when something is a "value" to their consumers

It's none of anyone's goddam business what an individual elects to pay for what access to what game for what timeframe. Just so long as they know upfront exactly what they are getting for their money.

But by all means, crusade away.

EDIT: Uh. You weren't saying that at all. My bad.

Amir0x

Banned
Well people say 5 dollars because, it gives you access to:

4 games for a month.

If you subscribe on a month for a game that you like from EA, you get access to the full game for 6 hours and if you are sure to keep it, you get a %10 discount on top of that.

People are not arguing that anyone should give their money away. I'm arguing that there is Value to this proposition.

I don't know why people keep arguing this point with me. Never once did I say others cannot calculate a combination of reasons to suggest it is valuable to them. My argument is more nuanced, it's about my reasons and it's more largely about me being amazed so many people are yet again willing to put their trust in a company that even this second is mired in Sims 4 controversy. Being just a really poor company, in my view. I hope everyone can access the service, but I am observing closely to see how it does and how people react to it over the longer term. We don't even have to consider how often they are voted worst company, just browse the gaming websites a bit and go a few months back and read how many negative stories they are associated with. So you have to admit there is reason for skepticism.

I feel like we're going in circles now, so I'm not sure if I have any better points to make. I just hope those who buy in get what they want out of it, and that none of my pessimism bares itself out.

jetjevons said:
Uh. You weren't saying that at all. My bad.

Dang bro, nearly chopped my head off! lol It's cool :p

PhatSaqs

Banned
It's none of anyone's goddam business what an individual elects to pay for what access to what game for what timeframe. Just so long as they know upfront exactly what they are getting for their money.

But by all means, crusade away.
Pretty much. This why i find it hilarious when anyone talks about value as if it isn't subjective.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I don't know why people keep arguing this point with me. Never once did I say others cannot calculate a combination of reasons to suggest it is valuable to them. My argument is more nuanced, it's about my reasons and it's more largely about me being amazed so many people are yet again willing to put their trust in a company that even this second is mired in Sims 4 controversy. Being just a really poor company, in my view. I hope everyone can access the service, but I am observing closely to see how it does and how people react to it over the longer term. We don't even have to consider how often they are voted worst company, just browse the gaming websites a bit and go a few months back and read how many negative stories they are associated with. So you have to admit there is reason for skepticism.

I feel like we're going in circles now, so I'm not sure if I have any better points to make. I just hope those who buy in get what they want out of it, and that none of my pessimism bares itself out.

Dang bro, nearly chopped my head off! lol It's cool :p

You're one of my heroes on GAF. I just respond badly to people telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their time or energy or money (which you weren't!).

Meh, I'm okay with this. If it means I can try Dragon Age on the Xbone before I decide to buy it, I'm okay with that. And more or less, wasn't this meant to be more of a demo type feature?

jWILL253

Banned
Are you upset that EA is not letting you finish a single player campaign of a new game for $5?

I'm not upset at anything. But this is a downgrade from Season Ticket. That's a fact.

Also, I like how the arguments that Amir0x is getting right now is essentially "Well company A & B did thing, therefore you should hate all companies."

We ain't talking about other companies, playboy... we talking about EA...

Amir0x

Banned
You're one of my heroes on GAF. I just respond badly to people telling people what they should and shouldn't do with their time or energy or money (which you weren't!).

Yeah I understand. I don't like when people do that to me either.

I think this will be fascinating to watch over the next few years no matter which side of this fence we fall down on. The industry is about to go through a lot of changes, some good, some bad. It'll be interesting to see where it all settles down into. Will AA titles return? Will VR be the next cutting edge technology to revolutionize the industry? Will subscription services begin to dominate the way people access games? Will the next systems be more centrally all-digital?

I think it's a very interesting time to be a gamer, and I guess that means by default it's going to be divisive. I guess I live for that sort of thing, it's exciting! :p

Bsigg12

Meh, I'm okay with this. If it means I can try Dragon Age on the Xbone before I decide to buy it, I'm okay with that. And more or less, wasn't this meant to be more of a demo type feature?

Pretty much glorified demos with potential access to the entire game as they have said that each games' trial could differ based on the type of game. The trial for DAI could be radically different from the sports titles in order to keep spoilers and other things down to a minimum in a story focused title.

Everyone needs to keep in mind this 6 hours is only for Madden currently based on info from the OP. I expect sports titles to follow that same thing though. Games like Battlefield Hardline and Dragon Age will probably be much different in the trial that is offered.

zedge

So for $30 a year you still get vault games, 6 hrs play time of new releases early (full game), and 10% discounts on digital games and content.

Still seems like a decent deal to me. I subscribed for a year.

xexon

Banned
Wow. That's great news. EA Access is far surpassing what I thought it would be. I cannot believe people are complaining. Though I think it could he fanboys mad Xbox owners have this awesome feature only.

hlhbk

How soon is Madden trial available? Btw anyone who says they can't figure out in 6 hours if a game is worth buying is not being truthful.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Yeah I understand. I don't like when people do that to me either.

I think this will be fascinating to watch over the next few years no matter which side of this fence we fall down on. The industry is about to go through a lot of changes, some good, some bad. It'll be interesting to see where it all settles down into. Will AA titles return? Will VR be the next cutting edge technology to revolutionize the industry? Will subscription services begin to dominate the way people access games? Will the next systems be more centrally all-digital?

I think it's a very interesting time to be a gamer, and I guess that means by default it's going to be divisive. I guess I live for that sort of thing, it's exciting! :p

I think the subscription model (like cable TV) is going to become increasingly prevalent as less and less people value collecting physical copies of media. It's already happened to the music industry. I'd almost argue that games are next just given the massive amount of data storage that will be required for future games (even before movies). It's definitely not the world I grew up in anymore.

Ason

People consider values for different things. As we're establishing that fact, someone else's "I don't care money" is someone else's "I need to consider my choices more carefully" money. $30 is not chump change for many people. But, I do have the money. For me, it's about principles. I don't support companies that are consistently treating the very consumers that buy their products. Supporting them in ventures like this means I would in some sense be endorsing their behaving, saying it doesn't matter what they do because they know they can always depend on my cash.

There are also other considerations that factor slightly, but when put against that larger principled stand get magnified. For instance, I don't trust EA, so of course I am not comfortable with the idea of my purchases being beholden to some digital service of theirs, waiting to disappear into the ether the second they give up or quit or close shop. These considerations are real.

I am not discounting at all that others may find it valuable, and don't care how distrustful EA has proven to be. That much is clear, there are people who just don't care. That's why this is a discussion forum though, 'cause it's a place for us to share our diverse opinions on the hot topics of the day.

I probably would be less engaged in this topic were it not for the severe implications of EA's service being a success. If they are successful, other publishers might jump on board with their own service. And the path that leads this industry down is a perilous one indeed in my view.

All that said, I still think Sony should have allowed EA to do this, and let the customers decide if it was the appropriate value and if they trust EA. I would side with the customers won't don't trust them, since they have demonstrated at a neverending rate that nobody should, but that doesn't mean I believe the choice should be taken away.

Sure, I hear ya, you have a trust issues with EA, if you feel you don't wanna support them, fair enough.

If things start to go downhill from here, I will make my voice heard, but not sooner.
I can't revolt against something based on speculations and assumptions, and what might come.
Especially not since I like what the service has to offer, and don't see a problem right now.

A point I wanna make, and one of the reasons I don't have a problem with this, you don't need EA Access to play their games.
If you don't like what they have to offer, just avoid it. You can still go buy their games in the store or online,
just like you could before they announced EA Access, nothing has changed in that aspect.

Can't say I share your concern about them suddenly giving up or close their digital service.
As far as i know you buy your games from the regular onlinestore that MS provides,
just that discounts and such are tied in with EA Access.

If they should shut down their Access service Im pretty sure they will run with it til the last subscription-period ends.
Sure, you would loose access to their vault games, but they are tied to their service and not yours forever anyway, so no suprise there.

Phreak47

Anti Consumer? Scam? WHAT?

Yeah, that's hyperbole, but seriously, as a PS4 owner who doesn't plan one getting a xbone, I am not feeling like I'm missing out here one bit.... even if I was rabid for their games (mayyyybe NHL15 this year, but other than that, meh).

$5 a month for extended demos and some discounts.... meanwhile, PS+ is $2.50 a month (bought 3 years @30/yr during last BF) and I get a lot more for that.

So, not "scam", "anti-consumer", etc... but definitely a solid MEH.

jet1911

Yeah, that's hyperbole, but seriously, as a PS4 owner who doesn't plan one getting a xbone, I am not feeling like I'm missing out here one bit.... even if I was rabid for their games (mayyyybe NHL15 this year, but other than that, meh).

$5 a month for extended demos and some discounts.... meanwhile, PS+ is $2.50 a month (bought 3 years @30/yr during last BF) and I get a lot more for that.

EA Access is 30$ a year too...

Bsigg12

EA Access has a $30 a year option if you want to save some money.

Andodalf

Banned
So funny to see how people use things to their advantage. Example: if you are pro EA you say it costs 30$ a year. Anti EA and it's 5$ a month. Not really on topic. But hey. Psychology

zedge

Its not just extended demos and discounts though.. Are you forgetting the vault games? Also its $30 for for year sub. Your comparison to PS+ is not really valid either, Live gold offers the same type of benefits of PS+. EA access is on its own.

So funny to see how people use things to their advantage. Example: if you are pro EA you say it costs 30$ a year. Anti EA and it's 5$ a month. Not really on topic. But hey. Psychology

lol very true.

Can you explain why they downgraded from unlimited play within the early access window in the Season Ticket program, to 6 hours in EA Access?

A real, proper response please. Not just writing me off as a troll in an attempt to delegitimize my concern and the concerns of others...

There is no point comparing EA Access to Season Ticket, they offer different perks.

Obviously there is no arguing that unlimited early access is better than limited early access.

But just because Season Ticket had unlimited early access to select titles, doesn't mean that EA Access' limited demos are a bad thing.. or that EA Access is worse than Season Ticket.
They are just different.

Phreak47

Actually that was just my laziness... I saw someone say it was $5/month and responded.

I still wouldn't even say it's nearly on PAR with PS+ though, even at the same price.

zedge

Actually that was just my laziness... I saw someone say it was $5/month and responded.

I still wouldn't even say it's nearly on PAR with PS+ though, even at the same price.

PS+ is required to play online, as is Xbox Live Gold. They both offer free games and discounts too.

EA Access is a separate entity. Not sure why its being compared to either.

I'm not upset at anything. But this is a downgrade from Season Ticket. That's a fact.

Also, I like how the arguments that Amir0x is getting right now is essentially "Well company A & B did thing, therefore you should hate all companies."

Let me quote you again to refresh your mind.

2. 6 hours is not enough time to get a feel for ANY game, let alone a sports game. A game usually has more than one mode

You argue that 6 hours is not enough to get the feel of a game... I know about opinions and such, but this seems rather picky... there are people that know that a game is not for them from a 3 min trailer, let alone 6 hours with the full game.

So, if this were Battlefield we were talking about, then a 6 hr time limit would only be enough time to cover the campaign, assuming you never die while playing. But there's still the other modes to consider.

And this is where my comment comes from. You argue that not having enough time (6 hours in this case), to finish the campaign and play all the modes for $5 is bad somehow...?

Please explain to me how this doesn't make you look like someone that is upset that EA is not letting you play a full campaign for $5?

If you could please explain it to me as if it were a child.

DOWN

Banned
Are people just confusing unlimited time for vault titles with full game trials? Nobody seems that upset over Full Game trials for 1 hour from PS+.they didn't take away the unlimited vault time.

Amir0x

Banned

Edit: WHOA I read that really wrong.

Holy crap I'm going to bed. Sorry bro.

jWILL253

Banned
Let me quote you again to refresh your mind.

You argue that 6 hours is not enough to get the feel of a game... I know about opinions and such, but this seems rather picky... there are people that know that a game is not for them from a 3 min trailer, let alone 6 hours with the full game.

And this is where my comment comes from. You argue that not having enough time (6 hours in this case), to finish the campaign and play all the modes for $5 is bad somehow...?

Please explain to me how this doesn't make you look like someone that is upset that EA is not letting you play a full campaign for $5?

If you could please explain it to me as if it were a child.

Here it is, plain & simple:

It's a bad deal if I'm paying $5 a month to access what is, essentially, a glorified demo. Especially compared to Season Ticket.

And once again, I'm not upset. You're trying to make me out to be some emotional, irrational fanboy, but it's not gonna work. I'd rather have a simple demo, to tell you the truth. The problem is, EA took the Madden demo and lock it behind a broader version of Season Ticket, without the benefit of the Season Ticket of old.

What the heck you talking about brother? I don't know if you're reading anything I'm saying, "playboy", but every complaint I made has been against EA. Their Dungeon Keeper controversy, Sims 4 controversy, Sims City Controversy, Machinima Ad Scandal, online passes. Every single one of these, the only complaints I have listed even though there are many other examples, are about EA.

You may disagree with me, but please actually read.

You misread my quote. I was saying people are using those arguments against your points. I actually agree with your arguments.

Vast.

Banned
Apparently getting 6 hours of a full game before release as a perk of a service... is not good enough and needs to be laughed at and mocked!

Look how terrible EA is! Hahaha! You suck EA. Those scummy corporate shitbags! 6 HOURS? I mean, SIX DAMN HOURS? Do you think I can make a reasonable decision about a game if you let me try it for SIX BLOODY HOURS ahead of release? This is BULLSHIT!

Obviously my entire $5 for your service (or $2.50) was for this PAID DEMO! That's why this is outrageous! I don't care about your vault of "free games" and your $6 off new releases. This is a paid demo! I will not have my hard earned cash be used in such a disgusting way.

What the heck you talking about brother? I don't know if you're reading anything I'm saying, "playboy", but every complaint I made has been against EA. Their Dungeon Keeper controversy, Sims 4 controversy, Sims City Controversy, Machinima Ad Scandal, online passes. Every single one of these, the only complaints I have listed even though there are many other examples, are about EA.

You may disagree with me, but please actually read.

And half of these just happened in the last two years, yet everyone doesn't want to see that.

Sure, it's value to many, but it's very naive to go into something once again that is completely deceiving because you think a mere $5 is some type of value. The Sims alone just shows me EA did not change. They obviously learned nothing from the Simcity launch. How ridiculous.

God I could only imagine if this doesn't blow up. Is it going to be another "we were too innovative"? Lol.

Top Bottom