• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

Here it is, plain & simple:

It's a bad deal if I'm paying $5 a month to access what is, essentially, a glorified demo. Especially compared to Season Ticket.

And once again, I'm not upset. You're trying to make me out to be some emotional, irrational fanboy, but it's not gonna work. I'd rather have a simple demo, to tell you the truth. The problem is, EA took the Madden demo and lock it behind a broader version of Season Ticket, without the benefit of the Season Ticket of old.

Yes. Don't buy EA Access if you're only interested in the the early access to games.

Buy it if you want access to all the games in the game vault, 10% discount on all EA purchases, and limited early access to new games.

Amir0x

Banned
And half of these just happened in the last two years, yet everyone doesn't want to see that.

Sure, it's value to many, but it's very naive to go into something once again that is completely deceiving because you think a mere $5 is some type of value. The Sims alone just shows me EA did not change. They obviously learned nothing from the Simcity launch. How ridiculous.

God I could only imagine if this doesn't blow up. Is it going to be another "we were too innovative"? Lol.

No that response you quoted was me misreading what Jwill said. I thought he was saying my argument was about other companies, but he was saying everyone else's arguments toward me were involving other companies and ignoring EA.

My laughing has propelled me to alpha centauri .
Ryan-Gosling-Laughing.gif

I was under the impression that you preordered/paid in full for a digital game you would get unlimited early access to said game.

Guess not.

You argue that 6 hours is not enough to get the feel of a game... I know about opinions and such, but this seems rather picky... there are people that know that a game is not for them from a 3 min trailer, let alone 6 hours with the full game.

Wasn't that what free demos on PSN/Live were for?

EA's never had decently sized publicly available demos for free....oh wait a minute.
Well they probably won't have many now since they'll be used as an added perk for paid EA Access.

Yes. Don't buy EA Access if you're only interested in the the early access to games.

Buy it if you want access to all the games in the game vault, 10% discount on all EA purchases, and limited early access to new games.

Well, those demos used to be entirely free.

Str1ke4

This thread is pretty funny. You get 4+ games, 10% discount on new release EA games, your physical copy of an EA vault game gets converted to digital, full game trials of all new EA games (Not just sports games like the season ticket) and people are saying its not worth the $2.50/$5 because you can't play a game you haven't bought for 5 full days instead of 6 hours....

And half of these just happened in the last two years, yet everyone doesn't want to see that.

Sure, it's value to many, but it's very naive to go into something once again that is completely deceiving because you think a mere $5 is some type of value. The Sims alone just shows me EA did not change. They obviously learned nothing from the Simcity launch. How ridiculous.

God I could only imagine if this doesn't blow up. Is it going to be another "we were too innovative"? Lol.

Nobody was deceived. Show me anywhere, where EA insinuated that EA Access is similar to Season Ticket or game trials would even last for 24 hrs?
I can understand the dislike for the amount of time to try games, but at what point do people look in the mirror.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ok I feel dumb asking this but I need someone to clarify this for me.

I am an EA Access member.
If I buy Madden this week do I get the full game five days before retail without a time limit?

Is the time limit just for a trial purpose for all EA Access members or are customers that are buying the full game being limited as well?

Ok I feel dumb asking this but I need someone to clarify this for me.

I am an EA Access member.
If I buy Madden this week do I get the full game five days before retail without a time limit?

Is the time limit just for a trial purpose for all EA Access members or are customers that are buying the full game being limited as well?

You get 6 hours no matter if you purchase Madden or not.

Vast.

Banned
This thread is pretty funny. You get 4+ games, 10% discount on new release EA games, your physical copy of an EA vault game gets converted to digital, full game trials of new games and people are saying its not worth the $2.50/$5 because you can't play a game you haven't bought for 5 full days instead of 6 hours....
It's the nature of the beast my friend. People talk a lot about manufactured hype, but lately I've become more of a believer in manufactured controversy and hate.

Look at this guy here:
$5 a month for extended demos and some discounts.... meanwhile, PS+ is $2.50 a month (bought 3 years @30/yr during last BF) and I get a lot more for that.
Even though EA Access actually provides everyone an option for $30/year, he still downplays it as $5 a month, and then compares it to PS+ at $2.50 because he managed to find a deal on one the craziest sale day of the year.

It's embarrassing and it makes it less likely that companies will actually listen to legitimate concerns on issues when there is some much whining and mudslinging over nothing.
6 hours of full game play before release...how we managed to turn a positive perk into an example of EA being scumbags just boggles my mind.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You get 6 hours no matter if you purchase Madden or not.

Wow. I do find that shocking then.

I felt that the early access and the 10% discount was a trade for guaranteeing that I do not create a physical used copy of the game in the future. And that's a solid deal.
But limiting that early access time was not something I felt I would have to consider at all.

Early access to my purchase should be the same as if I could convince a store to sell me the physical disc early.

That's really too bad.

MaulerX

Wow. I do find that shocking then.

I felt that the early access and the 10% discount was a trade for guaranteeing that I do not create a physical used copy of the game in the future. And that's a solid deal.
But limiting that early access time was not something I felt I would have to consider at all.

Early access to my purchase should be the same as if I could convince a store to sell me the physical disc early.

That's really too bad.

Who knows, maybe they'll eventually change it so that if you buy the game, you get to play it in all it's glory 5 days early. But as it is now, its really not that bad. The 6 hours is for the full game and any achievements you gather will transfer over if you buy the game at 10% off. I'm not seeing the big hoopla over this.

PhatSaqs

Banned

That's really too bad.
Itll probably change once you can actually preorder on X1. Since you can't right now there's really no way they can do this the way you want.

As I've said multiple times, trusting EA not to try to screw you is like petting a rabid dog and hoping you don't get bit. I guess some people are just braver than we are.

Holy crap dude, exaggerate a little more why don't you?

If a rabid dog bites you, you get rabies and you die. If EA 'screw' you, you get 6 hours instead of unlimited access (limited access was stated before subscription was open, so you only have yourself to blame if this comes as a surprise). This thread is really concern troll nectar, absolutely irresistible.

Some of you going on about 'trusting EA' are really cracking me up. I'm not asking EA to baby sit my new born child, or take my hot sister to the movie theater. I'm paying them $2.50 for a ten percent discount on dlc AND EA digital games, unlimited access to 4 good games that are less than a year old. Three of which currently cost more than a yearly subscription. On top of that I get 6 hours early access to future games.

Take off those shiny hats off people. What do you think is going to happen? EA take all our credit card details and give them away? They stop their online service and offer no refunds? I'd like to hear what you're all so scared of because I can't figure it out.

Or are you just clutching at straws and trying to come up with a reason not to be disappointed that this service isn't available to you?

demigod

Dont know why yall act so surprised about this. Back when the service was first announced, they said it was a trial for a week. Someone on gaf leaked that there was actually a time limit and not really a week replayable demo.

But yeah this service sucks donkey balls and im glad Sony didnt make any deals for it.

zedge

It's the nature of the beast my friend. People talk a lot about manufactured hype, but lately I've become more of a believer in manufactured controversy and hate.

Look at this guy here:

Even though EA Access actually provides everyone an option for $30/year, he still downplays it as $5 a month, and then compares it to PS+ at $2.50 because he managed to find a deal on one the craziest sale day of the year.

It's embarrassing and it makes it less likely that companies will actually listen to legitimate concerns on issues when there is some much whining and mudslinging over nothing.
6 hours of full game play before release...how we managed to turn a positive perk into an example of EA being scumbags just boggles my mind.

Well said. There is alot of cherry picking and selective posting in here ignoring features of the service.

Str1ke4

Dont know why yall act so surprised about this. Back when the service was first announced, they said it was a trial for a week. Someone on gaf leaked that there was actually a time limit and not really a week replayable demo.

But yeah this service sucks donkey balls and im glad Sony didnt make any deals for it.

Yea! Thanks Sony for protecting us from the evils of free and discounted AAA games!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Demos before the release date? I don't really recall too many of those.
Maybe they existed and I just don't remember them.

Also, do we know if the limited early access demos are going to be available after release date?

Is this a joke? Did you just start playing games in the past 2 years or something?

Demos prior to game release used to be commonplace.

This is funny. You're right, choices are really annoying, you have to think about stuff for yourself. I mean you could just not subscribe when given the choice but what do I know. Lets hope Sony continue to restrict competition so you are only left with their over priced alternatives like PSNow. I'm sure that will make you really glad. :)

Is this a joke? Did you just start playing games in the past 2 years or something?

Demos prior to game release used to be commonplace.

No..
It just has been a long time since those were very common, that's all.

But anyways, this is not really related to my point in the first place.

Prezhulio

It's a pretty easy (but not brick and mortar friendly) solution: if you pre-order digital and you have ea access, you get the full game early. I kinda thought this is how it would work, even if it is a fools errand

Fletcher

I've already gotten my $30 worth on Fifa and Madden in the vault. So...
I guess this service isn't for everyone? I'm pretty stoked on it.

It's a pretty easy (but not brick and mortar friendly) solution: if you pre-order digital and you have ea access, you get the full game early. I kinda thought this is how it would work, even if it is a fools errand
Wouldn't that just amount to paying for a delay for the physical version? Is there really such a thing as early access to a completed game?

You have 6 hours access to a complete game for just $5. Access to every mode, every feature and your save data transfers if you decide to buy the game. Obviously not your typical demo. Plus, if you do decide to buy the game through EA Access, you get a 10% discount also.

it's only common sense they'd protect their new games with some type of limitation. Total non issue here, especially when you already have unlimited access to the vault games, but I may have underestimated a couple of folks.

demigod

Yea! Thanks Sony for protecting us from the evils of free and discounted AAA games!

What free AAA game? The broken pos BF4 or the oldass sports games? 10% discount? Thats almost tax money which im tax free if i buy from newegg, not to mention there are better deals than that plus im getting a box and not digital and only limited to EA.

This is funny. You're right, choices are really annoying, you have to think about stuff for yourself. I mean you could just not subscribe when given the choice but what do I know. Lets hope Sony continue to restrict competition so you are only left with their over priced alternatives like PSNow. I'm sure that will make you really glad. :)

Yeah i am glad, might i introduce you to a thing called PS+ which is 10 times better than this service.

watershed

Banned
Disregarding everything else EA does, 6 hours of full early access to a new game isn't bad at all. I wouldn't pay for that access but it's cool.

Aroll

Wait, it's not a demo, but the actual game itself?

Seriously? That's great. I mean, I get why the demo is better due to unlimited playing time, but there is so much I want to check out - 6 hours isn't ideal but it is plenty of time for me to make a purchasing decisions since I get to try the entire game. Trying to find the negative in this, but I can't. Trying out the entire game for a limited time is much better than a crappy demo. I can generally make a purchasing decision on any game after 6 hours playing it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So much confusion going on in here.

I'm still not really seeing why the complaints exist. Anyone who would subscribe to Access for the early access is doing it horribly wrong.

The "best" parts of access, or what should be drawing you, are the vault games and the 10% discount.

Even then, while the "early access" is timed at 6 hours, it's still technically the full game at 6 hours. Not a demo. Demos of old never gave you the full game, hence - demo.

So still not sure what the frustration is about.

I'm sure even EA don't mind people playing sports games for a full week early, but they're probably putting an across-the-board limit for all games including those 10 hour single campaign games that 'd be completed twice in a week.

Derpcrawler

Six hours without any obligations like a pre-order? Seems like a good deal to me, more than enough to test the game, you also have access to full game. In theory some single player games can be played through in 6 hours, so making this "trial" period longer would hurt single player games sales. I can see myself just slowly starting playing Dragon Age before release. While waiting for my copy to arrive.
Who am I kidding, I will play through those 6 hours in a day.

Also it's not a demo, you get access to full game - online, single-player, whatever. In game like Dragon Age you could probably go through like 1/4th of the main quest line in 6 hours, if not half of it.

Str1ke4

What free AAA game? The broken pos BF4 or the oldass sports games? 10% discount? Thats almost tax money which im tax free if i buy from newegg, not to mention there are better deals than that plus im getting a box and not digital and only limited to EA.

Yeah i am glad, might i introduce you to a thing called PS+ which is 10 times better than this service.

Ok dude, whatever you say. You don't sound biased at all.

Rurunaki

6 hours demo is fine if you're not buying the game. However, I wish I would have unlimited access for that 5 day prerelease window of the game if I had already preordered/purchased it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Disregarding everything else EA does, 6 hours of full early access to a new game isn't bad at all. I wouldn't pay for that access but it's cool.

I don't get it.

If it's *only* that that of course anyone paying for it is a fool but it is just one of the "benefits" offered.

Why do many people here act as if the the early limited-time game access is the *only* thing tied to EA Access that people paid for?

Good golly can't believe I am doing something that can be construed as "defending EA" but many of you are just being ridiculous over this.

Remember, when something sounds like great value and EA is involved, read the fine print.

It's hardly fine print dude, this is the EA access announcement that contains 9 sentences, one of which tells you all you need to know. If you think that's fine print then I'm guessing you have not done much reading in the past.

Today, EA revealed EA Access. This brand new program exclusively for Xbox One owners will give members access to:

The Vault: A Selection of EA games on Xbox One ready to download and play as part of your EA Access membership. At launch, you’ll have access to FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2. More games will be added over time.

Play First: EA Access members will get to experience trials of new EA games early on Xbox One. Starting 5 days before release, you’ll be able to try the game for at least two hours and then save your progress. Once you purchase the digital or physical copy, you can use your save game and continue the experience.

PLUS: All EA Access members will save 10% on EA purchases from Xbox Live. From full digital games to downloadable content, you get 10% off with your EA Access membership.

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/29/announcing-ea-access-exclusively-xbox-one/

If people can't comprehend the wording they really need to be handing their credit card back to an adult. As you can see it says 2 hours minimum, 6 hours was more than 2 last time I checked.

But do go ahead and be concerned if you feel you need to.

robo

Although you have access to the full game, a story driven game like da:3 will still only let you see the first part of the game, as you won't be able to load later parts of the game until you have payed far longer than 6 hours (if they give you 6 hours in sp only games).

Just because its the full game being downloaded, just don't expect to have access to "all" of the game during your 5 day window.

Orca

I don't get it.

If it's *only* that that of course anyone paying for it is a fool but it is just one of the "benefits" offered.

Why do many people here act as if the the early limited-time game access is the *only* thing tied to EA Access that people paid for?

Good golly can't believe I am doing something that can be construed as "defending EA" but many of you are just being ridiculous over this.

Probably the same reason they insist it's $5 a month and act like there's no other option.

Although you have access to the full game, a story driven game like da:3 will still only let you see the first part of the game, as you won't be able to load later parts of the game until you have payed far longer than 6 hours (if they give you 6 hours in sp only games).

Just because its the full game being downloaded, just don't expect to have access to "all" of the game during your 5 day window.

This sounds like it makes sense but do you have a source?

My assumption is that games that are single player heavy will have the minimum access that was stated in the original press release (2 hours). That way people can't complete the whole thing without paying but still get a good idea about whether they want to purchase or not.

Kinyou

I hope people catch on quick with this scam. 5 bucks a month for a 10 dollar discount on digital titiles, access to their greatest hits collection, and timed demoes?

there's no real value here. your paying for marketing promotions
Wow, lol. You realise that you're pretty much exactly describing PS+ on the ps3, right? Is that also just a marketing promotion?

Vast.

Banned
What free AAA game? The broken pos BF4 or the oldass sports games?

Imagine having the choice for...BOTH! Because there are literally millions of people that play those "old ass sports game" and "broken pos bf4". In fact, Battlefield is the most popular PS4 fps.

It's a crazy thought, I know.
I hope people catch on quick with this scam. 5 bucks a month for a 10 dollar discount on digital titiles, access to their greatest hits collection, and timed demoes?

there's no real value here
You sound really dense right now.

What free AAA game? The broken pos BF4 or the oldass sports games? 10% discount?

EA's program is entirely new and right out of the gate you get a free AAA game + more with other perks. In some ways PS+ can learn a thing or two from what EA is doing in terms of early access and you know... actually offering a PS4 game that isn't from an indie dev. The "old ass" games complaint can be used for Sony and PS+ lol

Stick It to the Man! - port/old ass
Dead Nation - port/old ass
Trine 2 - port/old ass
Fez - port/old ass
PixelJunk Shooter - port/old ass

Top Bottom