• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and Visceral Games Announce Battlefield Hardline Premium

Ody is sponsored by EA Ronku.

kKukMdR.gif

Don't get why people are shitting on this game's DLC practice and expect for Battlefront to be different. Its probably going to have a premium pass too. I can't wait to see everyone's justification for that one.

joecanada

I will say that I think premium for BF4 was worth it and I dont regret buying.

bf3 premium was well worth it. BF4 didn't even work, let alone buying more maps that didn't work ... in fact some of the premium maps were worst of all judging by youtube reviewing.

5taquitos

bf3 premium was well worth it. BF4 didn't even work, let alone buying more maps that didn't work ... in fact some of the premium maps were worst of all judging by youtube reviewing.

The maps seem to work fine for me and all of the other players packing in the 64-player servers...

Lothars

Why are people alright with buying from companies that announce DLC before the game is even out? It's a straight scam.
It's not thought, Premium for Battlefield 3 and 4 was a good deal and I am sure this will be a great deal as well.

This is far from a scam and your insane if you think it is. I don't even plan to buy hardline and have no interest in it.

Why are the same 3-4 guys defending EA's DLC scam all the time? Makes me wonder if they're being paid by EA to do so.
Your absolutely delusional if you think this. There's nothing wrong with DLC like this.

joecanada

The maps seem to work fine for me and all of the other players packing in the 64-player servers...

yeah they work fine NOW , when there's barely any traffic anymore and after 8 months worth of patches.... so actually you are right, I changed my mind.....

buy this used after 8 months. 30 bucks.

ryseing

Don't get why people are shitting on this game's DLC practice and expect for Battlefront to be different. Its probably going to have a premium pass too. I can't wait to see everyone's justification for that one.

Because we've been waiting a decade for Battlefront.

Why are the same 3-4 guys defending EA's DLC scam all the time? Makes me wonder if they're being paid by EA to do so.

lololol, I'm not even buying Hardline. Not because I don't enjoy it (I had a lot of fun in the beta) but out of principle and to avoid BF4-like server issues.

There's danger in jumping on the hate train when it is full of accusations about "scams" when, historically, BF's post-launch content not that much different from the amount of content and price of BF2 expansion content.

Damn it EA. This is not how you're supposed to handle your second tier Battlefield games. How quickly you forgot Bad Company 2.

IF we can assume that the amount of content delivered for the price is similar to BF3/4 Premium, it will blow away the amount content released for BC2.

Remember, 6/7 of the free map packs for BC2 were "we added Rush to X map/we added Conquest to Y map". Vietnam didn't have anywhere near the amount of content that Premium did.

Fury451

Banned
Battlefield is one of the few games that does DLC right. Basically they offer at least an expansion pack's with of content within a year of the game, none of which appears to be cut before release just to sell later. And this is real content- game modes, new weapons, vehicles, maps, challenges, not just cosmetic nonsense or new skins/camo...but you get that too with Premium. It's a legitimately good deal and one of the few DLC approaches that delivers and makes sense.

Anyone not seeing that has a blinding hate-on for EA. I don't even like EA, but here I am, forced to defend them.

By the by, I'm not even buying this. BF4 is still good for me, and I'll await either new DLC for that or Battlefront.

JJD

Yep. All non-BF or casual players probably too. GAF gonna GAF.

I got my Digital Deluxe preordered and I am stoked for this as well.

The real question is if the Deluxe stuff exclusive for that version of the game? Or is it only an early unlock thing? I haven't seen Visceral saying anything about it.

Theorry

Battlefield is one of the few games that does DLC right. Basically they offer at least an expansion pack's with of content within a year of the game, none of which appears to be cut before release just to sell later. And this is real content- game modes, new weapons, vehicles, maps, challenges, not just cosmetic nonsense or new skins/camo...but you get that too with Premium. It's a legitimately good deal and one of the few DLC approaches that delivers and makes sense.

Anyone not seeing that has a blinding hate-on for EA. I don't even like EA, but here I am, forced to defend them.

Amen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LOL. Was gonna happen eventually, but this close to release instead of last month/during beta? Really, EA?

The real question is if the Deluxe stuff exclusive for that version of the game? Or is it only an early unlock thing? I haven't seen Visceral saying anything about it.

Probably not. EA got that message loud and clear after the backlash of "Bad Company: Gold Edition"

You'd have to a stone cold idiot to pre-purchase any Battlefield related DLC after the Battlefield Four car crash. No chance, no way, EA can take their grindy bullshit and stick it up their asses. See you in eighteen months when this is on sale for 20 bucks.

We have NOT FORGOTTEN. They'll find out soon enough.

ironcreed

Banned

I think it is just that extra $50 on top of $60 for the game that is announced before the game even drops that looks so unappealing on the surface for many of us. As for me? The base game will be enough once it is available on the cheap or in the EA access vault. I enjoyed BF4 the same way and got all I wanted out of it.

I always joke about which publishers will release the first $70 game, but when you have people paying $100+ dollars for the newest (annual!) Battlefield game, you sort of realize that maybe it's already here.

It's not thought, Premium for Battlefield 3 and 4 was a good deal and I am sure this will be a great deal as well.

This is far from a scam and your insane if you think it is. I don't even plan to buy hardline and have no interest in it.

Your absolutely delusional if you think this. There's nothing wrong with DLC like this.

You might want to refrain from calling anyone who doesn't rabidly defend EA's scam artistry as 'insane' or 'delusional.' It's like you're a PR mouthpiece for the company.

Fury451

Banned
I think it is just that extra $50 on top of $60 for the game that is announced before the game even drops that looks so unappealing on the surface for many of us.

That is fair enough- the price is justified IMO, but it is understandable why that would be off putting, especially pre-release. I get why they do that though, just so you know that it's coming.

I didn't pick up Premium for BF4 until it was on it's second pack I don't think- so by that time I enjoyed it enough to want more (despite is hilariously inept launch and ensuing months).

I wouldn't buy Premium day one myself, but they give you a decent enough overview of what to expect that of you like the core game, you at least know it's there.

joecanada

As long as they don't put out a Bad Company 3 I can continue to safely ignore this junk series.

battlefield 3 turned out pretty good and the premium wasn't bad... but yeah it's been straight downhill after BC2....

may as well remaster BC2 at this point.

Why are people alright with generalizing when they don't know what they are talking about? It's straight ignorance.

They've got a plan for DLC. So what? Everyone does, they just announce it early.

Have fun paying $100+ for your annualized Battlefield game from a company known to release a broken product at launch. I'm sure it'll be worth the money.

You'd have to a stone cold idiot to pre-purchase any Battlefield related DLC after the Battlefield Four car crash. No chance, no way, EA can take their grindy bullshit and stick it up their asses. See you in eighteen months when this is on sale for 20 bucks.

You and the 10 other people can keep giving EA dirty looks from your corner. BF4's shitty launch did not impact the public perception franchise as much as you'd like to believe. Most people who aren't getting Hardline aren't getting it either because they disagree with the theme, just see it as a stop gap until SWBF, or are content with BF4 and the free new content we are getting this year.

It was a really shitty launch and I don't appreciate that EA forced the game out before it was ready to beat COD. But the game it is now is fantastic. I'm not deterred at all from buying SWBF because of it.

Have fun paying $100+ for your annualized Battlefield game from a company known to release a broken product at launch. I'm sure it'll be worth the money.
What Battlefield game came out in 2014 again? I may have missed it.

joecanada

AMEN brother. I was the biggest BF fan ever , probably had 300 hours or who even knows how much in BF3....

... 60-70 hours just TRYING to like/play/get my money from bf4, literally getting dizzy from the rubberbanding and lag.

never forget.

JJD

Probably not. EA got that message loud and clear after the backlash of "Bad Company: Gold Edition"

Hopefully you're right. I haven't pre ordered yet (getting the digital version) but I'm getting the regular edition. I don't want to support this kind of exclusive content.

RoKKeR

Damn it EA. This is not how you're supposed to handle your second tier Battlefield games. How quickly you forgot Bad Company 2.

I have doubts that Hardline will be supported as well as BF4 has, which makes a premium edition far, far less enticing. This is just going to sour people on Battlefront's inevitable Premium edition. 2 BF-related shooters in 1 year, both with premium editions? REALLY EA?

The 'Star Wars' name will erase any of those sour feelings you might expect, guaranteed.

legacyzero

Banned
I usually love the extensions that come with with Premium. I still hate that they split the community.

My BIGGEST problem with Premium, however is having to buy it a second time if I own the game on another platform.

Remember GAF, don't pre-order AAA games. Especially those from EA or Ubisoft, send a message.
Very very true. Especially if you think you'll be burned again by their "Cycle of Perpetration and Apology".

Tubie

You might want to refrain from calling anyone who doesn't rabidly defend EA's scam artistry as 'insane' or 'delusional.' It's like you're a PR mouthpiece for the company.

Now anyone that defends the value proposition of Premium is an EA shill.

Incredible.

I'm not even buying Premium right away, I will play the base game, and if I see myself liking it enough, I'll buy Premium eventually. Just like I did with BF4's.

pompidu

People pay 60 dollars for games wich you finish in 6 hours.
In every BF game i played more then 600 hours. So 110 is money well spend.

60$ isn't 110$ but I see where you are coming from. Just strangely odd from my pov, spending 50$ for dlc that most would of been free years back. Video games as it stands is becoming more expensive for less content.

Tubie

60$ isn't 110$ but I see where you are coming from. Just strangely odd from my pov, spending 50$ for dlc that most would of been free years back. Video games as it stands is becoming more expensive for less content.

That $50 of DLC would've been like 2 or 3 $20 expansion packs back in the BF1942 and BF2 days.

Only thing that changed is now they're called DLC and that name has become toxic in the minds of many.

PnCIa

Uhm, yeah right. I will pay 120 for a game even when i know that they gimp the product on launch just to sell the pieces later. Fuck them. Nobody should support this.

ViciousDS

Banned
after the mess BF4 was I will wait to drop any money on any battlefield games again. However there value in DLC is amazing compared to other shooters. BF DLC > CoD DLC in terms of value easily.

Fury451

Banned
Uhm, yeah right. I will pay 120 for a game even when i know that they gimp the product on launch just to sell the pieces later. Fuck them. Nobody should support this.
They don't do that. At all. Not with Battlefield. Premium is genuine extra content.

The Sims though? Yeah, that's a whole 'nother story.

cakely

At some point publishers will learn:

1. Release your game.
2. Establish that it actually works as intended.
3. At least a month after your working game has been released, announce DLC.

It was a really shitty launch and I don't appreciate that EA forced the game out before it was ready to beat COD. But the game it is now is fantastic. I'm not deterred at all from buying SWBF because of it.

This. Silver lining: the shitty launch and backlash against EA help prop up the CTE, which has led to some of the best improvements that the series has seen and has actually let the community shape the game.

I just hope DICE also implements a lot of Hardline's improvements into the next BF or Battlefront.

I usually love the extensions that come with with Premium. I still hate that they split the community.

My BIGGEST problem with Premium, however is having to buy it a second time if I own the game on another platform.

Agreed on both fronts.

Except, again, it probably wouldn't have been. BF2 was charging for expansion packs and their 2 booster packs.

That $50 of DLC would've been like 2 or 3 $20 expansion packs back in the BF1942 and BF2 days.

Only thing that changed is now they're called DLC and that name has become toxic in the minds of many.
Yeah. Some people here are just too young to remember expansion packs. The expansions backs that came out for 1942, BF2, and 2142 were virtually the same as the DLC we've been getting since BF3. People were spoiled by the VIP system of Bad Company 2 giving four while maps for free with no new guns and handing out other game modes on stock maps piece meal.

Only BC2 Vietnam is comparable to a single DLC pack for BF3/4.

Remember GAF, don't pre-order AAA games. Especially those from EA or Ubisoft, send a message.
B..b..but you get a discount on the content that should been included in the base game!

Announcing DLC before a product is even out just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially from a company who releases broken games at launch. I find it amazing that people are willing to pay money upfront and then defend the practice to the death. If you enjoy annualized FPSs that don't innovate and price gouge then good for that person but it's not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom