• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA at it again: Want a new gun in BF: Bad Company? Pay us.

Zer0 said:
criterion is the reason.not EA

Publishers own the content and control how it is marketed.

Personally, I think the reason that EA is allowing the Burnout island to go out for free is that they are hoping to boost sales of the game disc proper (I don't think it sold to expectations).

darscot

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that EA like all other cooperations is in the money making business. This is good business and that is all there is to it.

If you want games for the love of gaming play homebrew.

VaLiancY

It's horrible indeed, I don't know if this is DICE doing or EA since they did something similar to Battlefield 2 with the "booster" packs on the PC. The Battlefield series are now the perfect games to charge everything. It's expected from EA but you just can't believe it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
VaLiancY said:
It's horrible indeed, I don't know if this is DICE doing or EA since they did something similar to Battlefield 2 with the "booster" packs on the PC. The Battlefield series are now the perfect games to charge everything. It's expected from EA but you just can't believe it.

Well, the thing about the booster packs was you got 3 new maps, new weapons, and 2-5 new vehicles per pack. In my opinion, that's totally worth $10.

In this, you get a gun... that's already been modeled and balanced when the game shipped, and should have been in the fucking game in the first place.

Ranger X

TaeOH said:
Gafers are pay out the nose for Nintendo VC content, that shit is way overpriced. So look at yourselves before you bitch too much about it.

This is very debatable. A VC game that i would hunt on the net or in a used store out there would cost me more than what i pay on the VC. Add to this that i can't plug my old consoles in Component Cables therefore i would suffer a loss of image quality. Now factor in the convenience of having your games ready to play right there in your Wii system memory. N64 games are also in 24bit color palette instead of 16bit (this erradicate the dithering) and they are also double the resolution.
I mean seriously, to compare the VC with this EA bullshit is completely ridiculous.

To be fair: this was already done on the original Xbox before (albeit in packs) and they could very well be 'exclusive' guns. Didn't the game say those would also be in Bad Company's Limited Edition?

Not that I approve of such a shoddy business practice...

Zer0

Banned
darscot said:
Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that EA like all other cooperations is in the money making business. This is good business and that is all there is to it.

a chinese tale tells that a serpent and a eagle can reach the top of a mountain,the eagle does it fliying with elegancy ,the snake reptates on the dirt (sorry for my poor english XD)

you can make money and be loyal to your customers

Ranger X

darscot said:

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that the customer is there to tell EA and all people in the business what is ok and what is not ok? WE ARE THEIR WALLET.
We are totally there to tell them what is good and bad business. What is abusive and what is not. If you like this, you buy. If you're against, you don't buy.

Xeke

Banned
Goreomedy said:
I can't blame EA for offering DLC like this, when college-aged gamers with disposable income and no sense of true value download it in scores, legitimizing it.

I'd buy it myself, but I spent that money on a new Peter Griffin farting ringtone.

I'm a poor college student.

Zer0

Banned
Ranger X said:
This is very debatable. A VC game that i would hunt on the net or in a used store out there would cost me more than what i pay on the VC. Add to this that i can't plug my old consoles in Component Cables therefore i would suffer a loss of image quality. Now factor in the convenience of having your games ready to play right there in your Wii system memory. N64 games are also in 24bit color palette instead of 16bit (this erradicate the dithering) and they are also double the resolution.
I mean seriously, to compare the VC with this EA bullshit is completely ridiculous.

but vc games still are overpriced and the next downloadable capcom games prove it

kswiston

As long as they don't make it so that you HAVE to buy those extra guns to be competitive in multiplayer, I don't see why it's a big deal. If you want the extra stuff, then pay for it. If not, you can skip it and still have fun online. Excluding maps from a retail release so that you can sell them as DLC in the future is much more shady in my opinion.

TaeOH said:
This shit will increase as long as people pay.

I don't mind buying DLC, but it has to be worth it, most of the crap that is peddled is not worth it.

That's the beauty of DLC. Everyone decides what's "worth it" for themselves. Maybe you think that Bioware's side quest DLC offerings for Mass Effect aren't really worth 400pts a shot, but for a fan of the game like myself, they definitely were. By the same token, while I like Guitar Hero II/III just fine, I'm never going to pay $2 a sond for additional content. Even if I like the music being offered.

TaeOH said:
Gafers are pay out the nose for Nintendo VC content, that shit is way overpriced. So look at yourselves before you bitch too much about it.

Some of the VC content is overpriced and some isn't. In Canada, the NES games are actually cheaper than equivalent (400pt) games on XBLA because Nintendo offers VC points at true exchange rates while Microsoft is still screwing us over on conversion rates (even though the Canadian and American dollars have basically been par for 6 months).

Ranger X

Zer0 said:
but vc games still are overpriced and the next downloadable capcom games prove it

How? why? Because of the 1942 and Bionic Commando remake?
The VC games are expensive or not compared to buying the original games. You can't judge their value with anything else.

Scrubking

Ranger X said:
Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that the customer is there to tell EA and all people in the business what is ok and what is not ok? WE ARE THEIR WALLET.
We are totally there to tell them what is good and bad business. What is abusive and what is not. If you like this, you buy. If you're against, you don't buy.

Gamers are stupid and cannot be trusted to make the right decision. The fact that EA games continue to sell and gamers continue to bend over for more microraping is proof of this.

Zer0

Banned
Ranger X said:
The VC games are expensive or not compared to buying the original games. You can't judge their value with anything else.

because if capcom offers you the new bionic commando and the super street fighter HD for ten bucks,making you pay 8 bucks for a snes rom or FIVE bucks for a c64 game is overpriced
in my point of view at least

Ranger X

Scrubking said:
Gamers are stupid and cannot be trusted to make the right decision. The fact that EA games continue to sell and gamers continue to bend over for more microraping is proof of this.

*cries*
I know. I try to be happy by reminding myself that bullshit sells in all industry because general taste and knowledge sucks. Look at all the poop music selling crazy out there...

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Goreomedy said:
I can't blame EA for offering DLC like this, when college-aged gamers with disposable income and no sense of true value download it in scores, legitimizing it.

I'd buy it myself, but I spent that money on a new Peter Griffin farting ringtone.

ROFL a good 50% of my classmates each semester can't even afford books. While me...i got mad debt on my cards. Theres be no disposable income round these parts.

yet imma STILL buy the guns. Just out of spite for each and every one of you. After every kill i'm gonna shout "take THAT with yo broke ass" while i chew on my ramen and drink my water from the apartment water hose.

Ten-Song

I don't really care much about the actual content or the price attached to it... same thing with the Tiger Woods stuff, it seems stupid, yet people buy it anyways.

What I wish for to stop stuff like this at the root of the problem, is if Microsoft actually went back to enforcing that "No, you can't sell anything on the disc as DLC" rule. I remember way back when they were talking about that when shit like this first started hitting the fan... but now I notice they're pretty silent about it, and have done nothing to stop it.

DLC is fine, so long as I'm actually downloading something, and not just paying for an unlock on content I already bought.

kswiston

Ranger X said:

Not to mention that, for games like Sin and Punishment, VC is the ONLY way to play the game in some territories without buying expensive import versions and the equipment necessary to run said imports.

X26

Banned
The fact they have this setup before the game is even released means the content is already availiable and they're just withholding it, which is beyond pathetic

It would be okay if this was new contnet made AFTER the game's release, but that's not the case, and EA is a bunch of scumbags

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
kswiston said:
As long as they don't make it so that you HAVE to buy those extra guns to be competitive in multiplayer, I don't see why it's a big deal. If you want the extra stuff, then pay for it. If not, you can skip it and still have fun online. Excluding maps from a retail release so that you can sell them as DLC in the future is much more shady in my opinion.

This policy of appeasement some people take towards these actions is crazy. They say "of course EA is going to do this, it's good business" in the same breath they say "as long as it doesn't effect the multiplayer balance".

Well, I have news for you. If this does work, it will effect the multiplayer balance eventually. If it's good business to have optional multiplayer perks, it's even BETTER business to have multiplayer perks that give an edge to the player that pays.

And to those of you who knee-jerk with the "lol slippery slope paranoid" reaction, look how far they've already slipped down the slope.

For all we know, these "pay only" guns -will- give you an advantage in multiplayer.

Ranger X

Zer0 said:
because if capcom offers you the new bionic commando and the super street fighter HD for ten bucks,making you pay 8 bucks for a snes rom or FIVE bucks for a c64 game is overpriced
in my point of view at least

The difference i make is that the VC is about buying and playing the original game. That's where Bionic Commando NES is "apples" and Bionic Commando remake is "oranges".

So if buying the VC game cost me less than buying the original one therefore it's not a rape.

To check if Bionic Commando is expensive or reasonably priced, you need to compare it with another old game remade and sold on the market.

Firewire

Banned
Imagine what they would do with GTA!

Pay for every radio station, but you get the country station free.
Pay for every car, but you get a rusted old pickup truck free.
Pay for every gun, but they give you a sling shot free, rocks are extra......

Amon37

Zer0 said:
i have better one.

go play godfather on 360,look at the map for a hitman,get out of the car,press A near the guy and a xbox marketplace appears ..250 ms points to hire this hitman.

sadly,its not a joke.

Shit like this is crazy.

Ranger X

Firewire said:
Imagine what they would do with GTA!

Pay for every radio station, but you get the country station free.
Pay for every car, but you get a rusted old pickup truck free.
Pay for every gun, but they give you a sling shot free, rocks are extra......

One day. One day. We only need to bring the gamer there step by step. Slowly.

kswiston

FlyinJ said:
If it's good business to have optional multiplayer perks, it's even BETTER business to have multiplayer perks that give an edge to the player that pays.

And to those of you who knee-jerk with the "lol slippery slope paranoid" reaction, look how far they've already slipped down the slope.

For all we know, these "pay only" guns -will- give you an advantage in multiplayer.

When the point in time comes where a game company expects you to pay extra for a competitive multiplayer edge in a console game, I can only hope that the game is shunned by the very community it tries to milk.

Zer0

Banned
the thing that surprises me..is why now? xbox live a payed service charges us for USING FuCKING AVATARS of minuscule size and u ppl expect EA to no do these type of things?

Zer0

Banned
Ranger X said:
The difference i make is that the VC is about buying and playing the original game. That's where Bionic Commando NES is "apples" and Bionic Commando remake is "oranges".

So if buying the VC game cost me less than buying the original one therefore it's not a rape.

To check if Bionic Commando is expensive or reasonably priced, you need to compare it with another old game remade and sold on the market.

i understand your point,but the vc games got his revenue of his day,the cost of porting them to the system is ridiculous,u think five bucks for a c64 game its not overpriced? i cand understand games like sin and punishment,but not for some oscure nes game

Zer0 said:
i have better one.

go play godfather on 360,look at the map for a hitman,get out of the car,press A near the guy and a xbox marketplace appears ..250 ms points to hire this hitman.

sadly,its not a joke.
Wow, I'm speechless. EA is awesome. This is awesome. This. Is. EA!

Ten-Song

kswiston said:
When the point in time comes where a game company expects you to pay extra for a competitive multiplayer edge in a console game, I can only hope that the game is shunned by the very community it tries to milk.

Just think, it could get worse then that. Imagine just having to pay for the right to play the game online in the first place... like you could only see other people playing online, but if you didn't hand over some cash, you couldn't play with them...

Oh wait.

Zer0

Banned
Ten-Song said:
Just think, it could get worse then that. Imagine just having to pay for the right to play the game online in the first place... like you could only see other people playing online, but if you didn't hand over some cash, you couldn't play with them...

Oh wait.

wait a lot of ppl think that is superb

Ranger X

Zer0 said:
i understand your point,but the vc games got his revenue of his day,the cost of porting them to the system is ridiculous,u think five bucks for a c64 game its not overpriced? i cand understand games like sin and punishment,but not for some oscure nes game

I personally feel 5$ is overpriced for a C64 game but with digital era, its the "perceived value" that ultimately wins and decides the price. That's why its the original physical versions of the games that dictate the value of the VC versions. Its obviously not the cost there is to put them there.

The only "perceived value" that i don't agree with on the VC is that they simulate an import fee with charging premium price for a game (like Sin and Punishment, Do-Re-Mi, etc).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
BuddyC, use your amazing shack powers to get a comment from EA, then we can digg this badboy, and get some results!

TaeOH

kswiston said:
That's the beauty of DLC. Everyone decides what's "worth it" for themselves. Maybe you think that Bioware's side quest DLC offerings for Mass Effect aren't really worth 400pts a shot, but for a fan of the game like myself, they definitely were. By the same token, while I like Guitar Hero II/III just fine, I'm never going to pay $2 a sond for additional content. Even if I like the music being offered.

That is the main point though, you aren't forced to buy it. I mean EA just released DLC for March Madness, the bracket with new team ratings for $5. I would probably buy it if liked their current college BBall game. For $5 I could also get Super Mario Brothers on VC.

But my other thought on the March Madness thing, is on PC, I could always download user made stuff for free which is probably better.

I will not likely buy a whole lot of down loadable content as enhancements to games I paid for already, but I love downloaded games. Wii downloads, probably not, been there done that with them and as I said I think it is overpriced. But I will eat up shit like Pixel Junk Monsters.

So these companies will put out what the market will bear, I just hope the market does not allow it to get out of hand and more games come out with DLC like Ace Combat.

FlyinJ said:
BuddyC, use your amazing shack powers to get a comment from EA, then we can digg this badboy, and get some results!

I've sent off an email to see what I can fin out, with Easter I don't think any replies will be forthcoming until tuesday.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The only thing that really pisses me off is knowing some dipshit will actually purchase it. And to that person:

You're a waste of human sperm.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2006/10/24/The-Godfather-content.aspx

The Godfather content

The following in-game content is now available for ‘The Godfather’:

Name: MobFace Apparel Bundle – 5 Items
Available in: All regions
Price: FREE
Dash Details: Limited time offer, free Mobface Bundle, download now before its too late! Be the best looking mobster in the neighborhood with a stylish bundle featuring a leather jacket, two hats, and two glasses. Choose from several variations for each item. The best thing is, it won’t cost you nothing! Just get the bundle then go to your favorite tailor shop in-game to find your new items.

Name: The Don Collection
Price: 800 Points
Dash Details: Become a "made man" with the ultimate collection of weapons, money and in-game items. You will receive all 5 Level-4 weapons upgrades, $50K, $100K and $250K in-game money downloads. Additionally, you'll receive the MobFace apparel bundle, Favor Pack with 3 new missions and the Buddy Crew upgrade. All items sold individually on Xbox Live Marketplace!

Name: Level 4 Revolver - Black Widow
Price: 100 Points
Dash Details: Get the ability to buy the most powerful revolver in the game. One bite from this beauty stings worse than any venom. Look for the special arms dealer at the Continental Club in Little Italy. At $300,000 it provides great bang for your buck.

Name: Level 4 Pistol - Herzstopper
Dash Details: Your chance to get the most powerful pistol in the game is just one stop away. For $400,000 you can be a real Romeo, stopping hearts all over town. Rendezvous with the arms dealer at the Full Moon Nightclub in Brooklyn. Good luck, killer

Name: Level 4 Magnum - Annihilator
Dash Details: You want the most powerful Magnum in the game? You have to get the right to buy it first. You won’t regret it, though. For $500,000 and a trip to Hell’s Kitchen you can pack some serious heat. Look for the arms dealer at Poppy’s Westside Nightclub

Name: Level 4 Tommy Gun – Spectre Minigun
Dash Details: Get the ability to buy the most powerful Tommy gun in the game. It’s one of the best weapons you can own, but top-of-the-line firepower comes at a price - $750,000 to be precise. Only one arms dealer in the city sells this baby. You can find him at Jay Sizzle’s Steakhouse in Midtown.

Name: Level 4 Shotgun – Lupara Semi-automatic
Dash Details: Be the proud owner of the most powerful shotgun in the game. The arms dealer who specializes in the Lupara hangs out at Joe Foley’s Bar in New Jersey, but it’s worth the trip out of the city. Bring $600,000 along with you to pick up this gun

Name: Hired Assassin
Price: 250 Points
Dash Details: Give yourself some extra muscle by getting the ability to buy the most powerful crew member in the game, regardless of your current rank in the Corleone family. It’ll cost you $10,000 to add him to your team, payable to special crew dealers

Name: In-Game Money - $50K
Price: 40 Points
Dash Details: Add $50,000 to your game portfolio. It’s not a fortune, but it’s nothing to shake a stick at either. The money will be added directly to your in-game bankroll once you return to gameplay. This is a one-time offer; it cannot be purchased multiple times.

Name: In-Game Money - $100K
Price: 75 Points
Dash Details: Fatten your wallet with $100K. Maybe that’ll help you on your way to buying that new Tommy gun you’ve had your eye on. The money will be added directly to your in-game bankroll once you return to gameplay. This is a one-time offer; it cannot be purchased multiple times.

Name: In-Game Money - $250K
Price: 150 Points
Dash Details: Add $250,000 to your game portfolio. Now we’re talking some serious cash. The money will be added directly to your in-game bankroll once you return to gameplay. This is a one-time offer; it cannot be purchased multiple times

Name: Level 4 Weapon Bundle
Price: 400 Points
Dash Details: Get the ability to buy five of the most powerful weapons in the game. You still have to buy the weapons separately in-game from arms dealers, but if you do, you’ll have one of the most feared arsenals in the mob world. Check the individual weapon descriptions for arms dealer locations.

Name: Favor Pack – 3 Favor Missions
Price: 250 Points
Dash Details: Favors are the currency of the mob world. You do something for somebody, they owe you big. Get three additional favor missions that are available exclusively on Xbox Live Marketplace. Get over 100% game completion! (Note: All three missions have in-game prerequisites which you can view at http://godfather.ea.com.)

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
This is the same EA that is giving us a whole island in Burnout Paradise.
Or told Criterion that they were chopping off part of the game to "give away" later in order to engender goodwill before they start selling the rest of the stuff that would have been on the retail disc five years ago.

dork

Banned
Well I wont buy purchasing any extra guns no matter how much I like the game. I can't support something like that...that's just ridiculous

Top Bottom