• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is deving games for Nintendo consoles, but not anywhere near as many as PS/Xbox

Kimawolf

All your nonsense about disrespect, punishment, standing up, etc. regarding EA and Nintendo, suggest an anthropomorphization of corporations. Not making SKUs is a business decision. EA are not deliberately not making Wii U SKUs to create bad publicity, again emotional nonsense.

My "condescension" amounts to me telling you your ridiculous ideas are ridiculous ideas. Your idea that Nintendo would somehow strengthen its position in some sort scathing public admonishment of EA and a blacklisting of them, that leads to EA spiraling into disaster as the market crashes into oblivion is ridiculous wishful thinking. It's petulant nonsense with no basis in reality or consideration of the actual market positions of Nintendo's current platforms, and/or EA's current, past or future need of them.

If Nintendo did do anything like what you suggested, investors and other publishers would seriously question their judgement, not EA's.

You really need to get off the high horse of "corporations are emotionless machines which only make rash decisions that are "good for business and based on maximizing profits"

There are quite a few CEOS and corporations who just do and say downright DUMB things for no reason. Case in point, since I know you'll ask for examples, the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch saying fat, uncool people shouldn't buy there clothes and they won't sell them anymore. You think that's a rash, emotionless decision based purely on business when more than half of Americans for instance are overweight? No lol it's a stupid, ridiculous emotional response to a comment made and some guys PERSONAL views on what he thinks. and his PERSONAL viewpoints are what are guiding his company, which just made probably the dumbest PR move of the year.

But sure, corporations only make rash business decisions not based in emotion, of course.

prag16

Banned
Although I bought FIFA 13 for Wii U, I don't know what's worse: no games for Wii U or crippled games for Wii U?

Seeing they are giving the same love to the PC (no new engine for FIFA) I am not rushing to believe EA is doing actually something good. So for now my wallet is no friend with EA.

Wait what? The next-gen FIFA engine is PS4/Xbone only this year? Not coming to PC??

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Maybe, but Nintendo definitely wouldn't waste their top dev resources on making a game that would only be moderately successful in one region (America) and be DOA in every other one.

I don't know, it couldn't hurt to try. I mean, if they could develop a flexible overall engine, they could take different animations and resources and port them over to a Baseball game, a soccer game, and a hockey game. Baseball would sell gangbusters in Japan if they could include the japanese leagues. Hockey would do moderately well everywhere. Soccer well in Japan and Europe (maybe work with Konami to produce a better Pro Evolution?) and in addition to sim elements, they could put in Nintendo characters for more goofy "exhibition" games. Goofy teams like the Koopa Troopas, or the Toadstool Kingdom Plumbers, or even the Hylean Heroes.

That plus if Nintendo could get some esports competitions going to drum up interest, they could very easily make a series of sports games on Nintendo consoles very competitive with EA.

You really need to get off the high horse of "corporations are emotionless machines which only make rash decisions that are "good for business and based on maximizing profits"

There are quite a few CEOS and corporations who just do and say downright DUMB things for no reason. Case in point, since I know you'll ask for examples, the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch saying fat, uncool people shouldn't buy there clothes and they won't sell them anymore. You think that's a rash, emotionless decision based purely on business when more than half of Americans for instance are overweight? No lol it's a stupid, ridiculous emotional response to a comment made and some guys PERSONAL views on what he thinks. and his PERSONAL viewpoints are what are guiding his company, which just made probably the dumbest PR move of the year.

But sure, corporations only make rash business decisions not based in emotion, of course.
I'm not sure how the A&F CEO decision to open his mouth and making a PR blunder is relevant to the idea that SKU business decisions are based on what's calculated/projected to be a good business decision and/or to maximize profits.

People say stupid things all the time. Phil Spencer is causing a PR disaster as we speak.

Nor did I imply that corporate leadership is always right in these decisions. But the notion that EA's SKU decisions are because they're mean and spiteful and horrible and poor Nintendo, stupid EA bullies; is nonsense.

effzee

This is a great post, and I would love to hear more opinions from consumers who are actually stuck in the middle like this. It does bring more into perspective about the situation. I do wonder, what's the point of wanting a franchise if you're just going to get the lesser version? Why would you or other consumers still support it?

Well up until the Wii, I bought the version of their sports game that would be released on N64 or Gamecube. They were straight ports and played exactly the same. Even the Gamecube version was excellent and only "lesser" in that it didn't have online functionality.

But it was my preferred choice and allowed me to remain a one console consumer. Since the Wii, I have been forced to buy a secondary console. Actually to think of it it, its not too bad since I am in a financial situation (now) where I can afford more than 1 console, the PS3 doubled as my blu ray player, and it opened me up to far more games which were never released on the Wii.

Ideally I would want a Nintendo console that is at the least on level with the other two, so at worst it gets all the multiplayer games while I can also 1st party Nintendo games. But seeing as how things are going I am going to have to decide between X1 or PS4 as my secondary console, or if things don't improve for the WiiU, my primary console.

Also the statement by EA says "Nintendo consoles". Could just mean handhelds for now. Who knows. If they release a Madden on WiiU this year it better be exactly as good as the PS360 version and then and only then will I buy it.

Fixed.

So, Nintendo won't have access to 10-20% of the market. Which is anyway quite out of their reach due to the fact they are far behind PS4 from power point of view (I still don't know why XB1 should even matter for this market, but probably the marketing will make sure it will).

Why should Nintendo go after this part of the market given their whole console philosophy?

Nintendo's philosophy is to go after as much of the market as possible. With the Wii and WiiU they aren't banking on cornering some niche market. They want as much as possible. They almost had it with the Wii when they attracted the mass majority of casuals, but eventually even with the dominance of that system, most 3rd parties ported down and threw garbage at the system. What Nintendo failed to realize is that most developers, develop DOWN from the most powerful system. And by the end of the life of the Wii, it started losing ground and the WiiU has barely made a dent.

Nintendo also failed to recognize that the casual market is very fickle and will only move on if you fail to amaze them over and over. The Wii amazed them, Kinect did more, and the WiiU failed to do it again so they moved on whether its to the other consoles, tablets, or phones.

Nintendo wants EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and all the other top 3rd party game developers and their top games. It would only help Nintendo to fill the void between their own games. Hell I bet they banked on the 3rd parties flocking to them after the Wii and with the 1 year advance with the WiiU. It didn't happen. They are completely delusional if they don't realize why or how they ended up in this situation. At some point while they were at the top with the Wii, when they had caught up, they needed to say to themselves "OK we made it, we are here, not lets strike!" Meaning using the revenues you made with with the Wii and the handhelds to produce a very powerful system which would attract ALL- casuals, core gamers, and most importantly the developers who are always sitting out Nintendo consoles.

While I agree with you on some concepts of premise, consumers do respond to negative feedback and word of mouth. The Sim City debacle soured many upstream and downstream consumers to EA, and they'll tell their friends about it. Furthermore, most individuals listen to their friends when it comes to games (and other media in general) called opinion leaders in communications theories, and if this opinion leader feels slighted by EA's recent activity regardless of platform, they're going to tell their friend to not buy games from EA. Now here's the thing, it's very easy to feel slighted by EA's non-Nintendo output. Deadspace 3 was a shadow of the original Deadspace, Sim City was a mess beyond messes, Medal of Honor was sent to die a buggy mess and never to be fixed. All these reasons make me very, very tepid to purchase Battlefield 4. I don't mind that its essentially a gameplay expansion, what I will mind is if EA adds or subtracts anything that will take away from my experience of the game, and if I leave BF4, I'm gone for good.
I know I'm oversimplifying some things, but it's largely in response to the notion that Nintendo would or could start some sort of external negative shitstorm campaign and that it would somehow reflect well on them. Obviously public relations is important, and the Sim City debacle negatively impacted consumer sentiment, such that they had to specifically mention, for example, that the Sims 4 would be playable offline. People were unhappy about an actual product they purchased. That's far removed from the idea of some sort of bizarre mudflinging campaign.
EA already has enough shit with upstream gamers, so what would happen if they lost access to the most potent downstream audience with Nintendo? I mean, it didn't kill them with the Wii, but in general EA's works were moderate successes. Then again, EA has also been in the red since 2009. There was enough consumer backlash to win them a plastic poo trophy on the internet two years in a row. What does that tell you about their market choices in the last five years? In many ways, the best option EA has is with those who have no experience with their products. Call it the soccer mom clique if you like, but EA needs a market where opinion leaders have no opinion on their company or product, so at the least they can rebuild some positive mindshare. Nintendo is largely a purveyor of that kind of market, with kids and "casual" gamers. (in terms of use, not content). It's the kind of audience EA needs access to on a number of different levels, because they're running out of their good will with gamers, but EA lacks something consistent like Call of Duty to smooth things out.
While I agree to an extent that public relations is important, at the end of the day the plastic poo trophy didn't stop FIFA from selling 14M copies and isn't going to stop it from selling millions upon millions this year. Their sports franchises, or more specifically Madden and FIFA, are their COD equivalent. (And The Sims cash cow.)

effzee

I don't know, it couldn't hurt to try. I mean, if they could develop a flexible overall engine, they could take different animations and resources and port them over to a Baseball game, a soccer game, and a hockey game. Baseball would sell gangbusters in Japan if they could include the japanese leagues. Hockey would do moderately well everywhere. Soccer well in Japan and Europe (maybe work with Konami to produce a better Pro Evolution?) and in addition to sim elements, they could put in Nintendo characters for more goofy "exhibition" games. Goofy teams like the Koopa Troopas, or the Toadstool Kingdom Plumbers, or even the Hylean Heroes.

That plus if Nintendo could get some esports competitions going to drum up interest, they could very easily make a series of sports games on Nintendo consoles very competitive with EA.

This is a larger problem for Nintendo. They either need to break out of their mold of only developing certain genres, while shunning others, or they need to open up the bank and acquire western studios (like Retro) who will develop games for them which they can't. Its a shame that after what Rare was able to do with FPSs and even Retro with the Metroid series, there are no Nintendo developed (1st or 2nd party) FPS series.

Nintendo really needs to branch out and use their resources. If the money isn't put into the console itself to match the other two, then use it to make sure you won't have droughts of software.

Everything aside, I just want to know what are everyone's predictions for consoles and EA next year considering what we know now? (Too early still but let's try)

effzee

Everything aside, I just want to know what are everyone's predictions for consoles and EA next year considering what we know now? (Too early still but let's try)

You mean EA on Nintendo consoles? No way to know. We just went from no development to possibly some games. And they could have just meant 3DS.

As for Sony and MS? Everything.

EDarkness

Who knows what's going on at EA. First they're not making games for the Wii U, now they are. Something must have changed...maybe it was the new CEO who suggested they get back into the Wii U business.

Top Bottom