• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Posts Fiscal Q3 Net Loss of $641 million, Cuts 1100 Jobs, Closing 12 facilities

Barrett2

The CFO said it expects to develop about 20 percent fewer titles in fiscal 2010 from 2009.

It wasn't supposed to be like this...

20h0sh5.jpg

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Madden Wii sold badly because of confused marketing and brand dilution. At worst, the All Play brand is toxic and drives away the very customers EA is trying to win over, at best, it should have been a parallel brand to the normal Madden Wii.

Honestly, who is the target market for Madden All Play? Certainly not sports fans.

Bingo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there anything in the MD&A that discusses what the restructuring costs actually represent? What restructuring is going on?

markatisu

Tideas said:
WiiFit, Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii was its competition.

NPD for December shows Ubisoft had no problem competing with Nintendo for holiday sales

EA got what they deserved imho, they shit on the Wii and therefore did not earn enough money, you put quality and well marketed games out there and sales will come. EA did neither

Had they released Rock Band 2 alongside the others they could have enjoyed some added $$$$ but they shit on Wii owners and left the money sitting on the table

Hero

They made some great IPs but that's not what's causing the losses here. I believe in the last thread about EA their revenue was actually up. That would mean the problem lies elsewhere, primarily in management and/or research and development costs.

Y2Kev

Hero said:
They made some great IPs but that's not what's causing the losses here. I believe in the last thread about EA their revenue was actually up. That would mean the problem lies elsewhere, primarily in management and/or research and development costs.
Well, revenue could be up and costs could also be up, but it's clear where the losses are coming from: "restructuring and other special items." Just looking through the statements now to see if that is clarified.

Zzoram

Acosta said:
It´s Jeff's fault.

In a more serious note, EA can't allow any mistake with The Sims, is their biggest game this year hands down, so I think they are ultra sensitive about having a polished product that attracts the attention of the userbase. Many fans are extremely comfortable with The Sims 2 as it is, they will need to give them good motivations to move.

I suppose it is true that EA can't afford any mistakes with The Sims 3. The June timing will also match the summer holiday of high school girls, which is likely their target demographic.

I hope The Sims 3 is on Steam, because I'll probably buy it if it is.

dacuk

At least they tried with their franchises on Wii.
Hoper their situation gets better, layoffs are one of the most cathastrophical things happening to economy.

Where is my Beetle Adventure Racing for VC???

Struct09

markatisu said:
Had they released Rock Band 2 alongside the others they could have enjoyed some added $$$$ but they shit on Wii owners and left the money sitting on the table

This is likely not EA's fault. They do not develop or publish Rock Band, they distribute it.

Mooreberg said:
I agree but I think it does mean they fall back into their old ways, and I can't blame them for it. Activision played it as safe as humanly possible (more Guitar Hero, more Warcraft, more call of Duty) and it worked. I never really thought the release date timing of stuff like Mirror's Edge or Dead Space was brilliant to begin with. Plus there is not having Rock Band on Wii sooner, or not having something like Left 4 Dead out on PS3. Even at a 2:1 in favor of 360 it could have justified the port. Of course I'm not really sure how the EA/Valve relationship works with Valve owning all of their IP, maybe there isn't much incentive for EA to go that route.

As for sequelitis franchises winding down... didn't they just announce more Need for Speed games?
The sequelitis (milking cash cows) is unsustainable in the long term though, and EA know this. Long-standing series eventually decline in sales and even if sales remain flat, it doesn't help you if costs skyrocket.

markatisu

Struct09 said:
This is likely not EA's fault. They do not develop or publish Rock Band, they distribute it.

Well when you toot your own horn that Rock Band was your best selling game I think you would have a vested interest into why you are loosing out on potential cash

There should have been nothing in Rock Band 2 Wii that needed the entire 2 month delay besides wanting to tier the releases just as they had done before (when they conveniently forgot a Rock Band 1 for Wii)

FrankT

Y2Kev said:
Well, revenue could be up and costs could also be up, but it's clear where the losses are coming from: "restructuring and other special items." Just looking through the statements now to see if that is clarified.

They cite the strengthening of the US dollar as well for lower guidance (most likely having an impact in Q3);

The Company’s updated fiscal year 2009 revenue guidance is lower than its previously announced guidance primarily as a result of weaker than expected sales, the Company’s decision to release certain titles, including The Sims 3, Godfather 2 and Dragon Age on the PC in fiscal 2010 (rather than in fiscal 2009), and the strengthening of the US dollar.

Vinci

Danish
The sequelitis (milking cash cows) is unsustainable in the long term though, and EA know this. Long-standing series eventually decline in sales and even if sales remain flat, it doesn't help you if costs skyrocket.

Pretty much. Every major 3rd party should be looking to create a new and good IP for the Wii long before this generation is over. If their core IPs still have some legs in them, bring them over and make sure they damn well work. Mindshare is going to be absolutely vital throughout the remainder of this generation and pushing into the next.

I bet that BioWare/Pandemic purchase hurts a lot right about now.

Lord of the Rings: Conquest is horrible. :(

Sucks for the people losing their jobs while the losers who call the shots get to keep theirs.

MotherFan

Y2Kev said:

Yes, but with all their new ips, they did alot worse than last year. That's after all the restructuring. The real answer is they should have made some good games for the number one console, but they did not and this is what happens. Instead, you get ME and Dead space for HD consoles which have bloated dev costs and when they do not do as expected, it cuts in far worse than a wii bomb.

Not to say that those games are bad, because they are very good games, but one of them should have been a wii game (mirrors edge me thinks). So, the lesson here is actually give really support to the wii and not alienate the market with all play title. What sports fan is going to buy that shit?

Ranger X

Not seriously. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge is just pre-emptive damage control for the shitstorm they saw coming.

EA is having far more deep problems. It really sounds like a management one. Seriously.

Vinci

Danish
Grecco said:
Activision and Ubisoft are pretty happy with that competition.

Exactly, this whole 'WE CAN'T COMPETE WITH NINTENDO' nonsense needs to stop. The people putting out games on the thing are, not surprisingly, making money. Particularly when they're quality releases.

MotherFan

Ranger X said:
Not seriously. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge is just pre-emptive damage control for the shitstorm they saw coming.

EA is having far more deep problems. It really sounds like a management (and marketing) one. Seriously.

Fixed ;)

Marketing is one of the reasons that this shitstorm is happening. 10:1 madden would of sold better if they just took the all play off. Its like they hired the class idiot as wii marketing director.

And the "we can't compete with nintendo" is just a bullshit line so the devs can make their dicks look bigger by allocating more resources to HD to make shiny graphics.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch

This I also agree with. But when the new properties are not working...?

Well when you toot your own horn that Rock Band was your best selling game I think you would have a vested interest into why you are loosing out on potential cash

There should have been nothing in Rock Band 2 Wii that needed the entire 2 month delay besides wanting to tier the releases just as they had done before (when they conveniently forgot a Rock Band 1 for Wii)

I'm wondering if part of the problem for EA is that their most successful games in the fall are from developers they do not own (Harmonix, Valve). Clearly what L4D sold on 360 was great for valve, and another heap of cash to throw in the vault along with Steam sales of the PC version. Did it really generate much money for EA relative to what they would have gotten if Dead Space sold that well?

And in the case of Rock Band, their entire goals seems to be DLC anyway. They are not releasing a new retail Rock Band this year. Money for Harmonix/MTV made through DLC on PS3 and 360 may not do a lot for EA. And the Wii version may not be a big deal for Harmonix if the limited storage space or not having the console connected keeps people from buying more content.

The fact that two of EA's biggest games get a lot of money from either digital distribution or selling DLC could be part of the problem.

You look at Activision owning Guitar Hero, and they are going to have multiple retail releases annually across all platforms.

Y2Kev

MotherFan said:
Yes, but with all their new ips, they did alot worse than last year. That's after all the restructuring. The real answer is they should have made some good games for the number one console, but they did not and this is what happens. Instead, you get ME and Dead space for HD consoles which have bloated dev costs and when they do not do as expected, it cuts in far worse than a wii bomb.

Not to say that those games are bad, because they are very good games, but one of them should have been a wii game (mirrors edge me thinks). So, the lesson here is actually give really support to the wii and not alienate the market with all play title. What sports fan is going to buy that shit?
Actually, even though their COGS rose, their sales rose by enough so that EA's gross profit this q3 was higher than last (729 vs. 721 million).

What's a goodwill impairment? There are some operating expenses that I am not familiar with.

The biggest publisher in NA and second EU, will have to still release 11% of its workforce.
WTFIFA indeed, sold 7.8 Million units, more than GTA 4, SSMB and COD WaW.

Zzoram

MotherFan said:
Fixed ;)

Marketing is one of the reasons that this shitstorm is happening. 10:1 madden would of sold better if they just took the all play off. Its like they hired the class idiot as wii marketing director.

And the "we can't compete with nintendo" is just a bullshit line so the devs can make their dicks look bigger by allocating more resources to HD to make shiny graphics.

The All Play goofy cartoon boxes were horrifically ugly. They can keep the name and simplified gameplay if they want, but they really need to bring back normal box art and graphics.

Jackson

Wait, I'm confused.

Did EA cut an additional 1,100 to the 1,000 they announced? Or did they cut 100 more on top of the 1k?

LCfiner

Those losses are pretty damn shocking.

630 Mill in the quarter? ouch.

... So I wonder how frantically they're getting Wii projects up and ready?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It kinda stinks that the year they try some original IPS like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, the bottom line goes further into the red. EA was really heading into direct I think a lot of gamers would like to seem them head, I hope they aren't discouraged. I think the company has room for more enthusiast focused titles like Dead Space and their mainstream hits like Madden.

Opiate

Jackson said:
Wait, I'm confused.

Did EA cut an additional 1,100 to the 1,000 they announced? Or did they cut 100 more on top of the 1k?

These are the same layoffs, Jackson. Here is the timeline:

1) EA announces the layoff of 1,000 members of their workforce. This is the part you know about.

2) EA announces, approximately a month later, the release of an additional 100 members of their workforce. You may not have heard about this, but it was announced at Christmas.

3) EA combines these layoffs in to a single report for this financial release. The total is 1,100.

EA had ~10,000 employees. They now have ~8,900. Expect more staff cuts to follow unless there is a rapid turnaround.

Ranger X

MotherFan said:
Fixed ;)

Well yes I totally agree with you.
Actually, the whole industry is a bit to blame with that. All those corporate dudes that think they know about the market they are on. (they clearly don't) and All Play Madden is a PRIME example.

It's freaking sad.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Rock Band is the number one title across all platforms for calendar year 2008?

In revenue, maybe, since it costs 200 bucks to buy.

Vinci

Danish
Zzoram said:
The All Play goofy cartoon boxes were horrifically ugly. They can keep the name and simplified gameplay if they want, but they really need to bring back normal box art and graphics.

Nah, they need to ditch the entire initiative. Bring out proper Madden titles that take advantage of what the Wii offers without turning them into children's toys. These are for sports fans, EA, damn you! Market to them.

Rolf NB

Y2Kev said:
Their losses are due primarily to restructuring fees incurred, no?
More like entirely.
"Excluding costs related to restructuring and other special items, it had a profit of 56 cents a share"

That's 180M$. Plus. Which means restructuring cost them 821M$ during the quarter.

Zzoram said:
The name and simplified gameplay are part of the problem too. Half the work involved in marketing involves choosing the right product to sell and this is where they are fundamentally failing. Simplified gameplay changes the quality of the core product and drives their customers away. The gameplay needs to be just as deep as the other versions but geared to the Wii controller and online platform.

Were I the marketing manager at EA, I'd be appalled at the damage the All Play brand might do to the Madden brand.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Somnia said:
Er you might want to re-think that...

From twitter.
Always nice to be proven wrong. Though I'm not sure how it wasn't a "no-brainer" before.

Somnia

Link said:
Always nice to be proven wrong. Though I'm not sure how it wasn't a "no-brainer" before.

Ya I agree with ya on the no-brainer part...wasn't trying to prove ya wrong though! Just read the twitter seconds before I read your post :lol

Top Bottom