• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

What surprises me is that developer companies keep buying into partnerships and publisher deals with them, considering how nearly everyone who is aware of how EA does business knows of this pattern. I'm guessing if someone is in charge of a development company and want a quick buck to eventually cash out in the future, EA is the way to go for them. They'd still be screwing over multiple employees but what do they care at this point, they're rich right?

That's generally how most smaller tech companies are structured nowadays. Almost all my friends in startups are running into the issue where the focus of the business it to be attractive to buyers/larger companies. So that the owners/heads can cash out. I don't imagine this is all that much different.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tough situation to grasp.

On one hand, Andromeda evidently had a mess of a development and while it'd be nice to assume sunshine and lollipops over at Visceral it is possible that the project was not progressing well. Perhaps even due to similar reasons to Andromeda; major engine difficulties as Frostbite is cumbersome to work with, over ambitious scope failing to meet deadlines, poor management, etc.

Visceral's track record in recent times is also mixed, both critically and commercially. Dead Space 3, The Devil's Cartel, and Hardline were not outstanding games and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why they faltered. Design and directional issues? Publisher meddling? Poor workflow? Uninspired marketing campaign? Or just bad luck; wrong games at the wrong time? Maybe a little from every category.

On the other hand Visceral's output has been consistent in seeing productions through from start to finish. And while I might feel Dead Space 3 is the weakest in the series, it's not a bad game and still exhibits a high standard of production work. Visceral has consistently supported other studios within EA, notably DICE. And geared up with Hennig and additional management they indeed seemed like a strong pick for taking on the Star Wars franchise. Hennig's experience making Uncharted and Visceral's background in single player narrative shooters is an almost perfect match.

I also don't trust in EA's direction. They're a notoriously erratic publisher, swinging wildly between stubborn adherence to outdated, unethical business, to occasionally reactionary behavior that sees projects uprooted and reworked to take on monetisable, "popular" tropes. They're often "business first", which is the reality of any industry, but the price paid is collapse and closure of developers that seemingly could be salvaged or have been outright treated unfairly. The pit meme is repeated for good reason.

I feel awful for the crew at Visceral seeing the studio wind up in this state. And I feel awful for Hennig who has now fallen from two major projects (assuming they don't drag her across to the next iteration). And regardless of the reasoning behind-the-scenes and who is at fault, it speaks volumes for management and direction at EA that they can acquire one of the biggest franchises in the world and somehow fuck this up. That we've had to wait this long and now longer for a new blockbuster single player Star Wars game is absurd.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
My third favorite studio
my favorite EA studio
Well, there we go. EA isn't just "one of the big five" to me, I see where everyone else was coming from. Fuck EA. I can't give them money anymore. Wow.

Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

Bow down to our GaaS overlord.

No interest in this whatsoever anymore.

That's gotta sting for Amy, ND and now this. Fuck, she deserves better.

Sober

Tough situation to grasp.

On one hand, Andromeda evidently had a mess of a development and while it'd be nice to assume sunshine and lollipops over at Visceral it is possible that the project was not progressing well. Perhaps even due to similar reasons to Andromeda; major engine difficulties as Frostbite is cumbersome to work with, over ambitious scope failing to meet deadlines, poor management, etc.

Visceral's track record in recent times is also mixed, both critically and commercially. Dead Space 3, The Devil's Cartel, and Hardline were not outstanding games and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why they faltered. Design and directional issues? Publisher meddling? Poor workflow? Uninspired marketing campaign? Or just bad luck; wrong games at the wrong time? Maybe a little from every category.

On the other hand Visceral's output has been consistent in seeing productions through from start to finish. And while I might feel Dead Space 3 is the weakest in the series, it's not a bad game and still exhibits a high standard of production work. Visceral has consistently supported other studios within EA, notably DICE. And geared up with Hennig and additional management they indeed seemed like a strong pick for taking on the Star Wars franchise. Hennig's experience making Uncharted and Visceral's background in single player narrative shooters is an almost perfect match.

I also don't trust in EA's direction. They're a notoriously erratic publisher, swinging wildly between stubborn adherence to outdated, unethical business, to occasionally reactionary behavior that sees projects uprooted and reworked to take on monetisable, "popular" tropes. They're often "business first", which is the reality of any industry, but the price paid is collapse and closure of developers that seemingly could be salvaged or have been outright treated unfairly. The pit meme is repeated for good reason.

I feel awful for the crew at Visceral seeing the studio wind up in this state. And I feel awful for Hennig who has now fallen from two major projects (assuming they don't drag her across to the next iteration). And regardless of the reasoning behind-the-scenes and who is at fault, it speaks volumes for management and direction at EA that they can acquire one of the biggest franchises in the world and somehow fuck this up. That we've had to wait this long and now longer for a new blockbuster single player Star Wars game is absurd.
If this is a result of Frostbite being cumbersome to adapt to for veteran teams EA really needs to rethink Frostbite being EA's "engine" or something, to be honest.

Snaku

Banned
Can we sue EA for false advertising and force them to change their name? Because nothing about what they do could ever be considered art.

If this is a result of Frostbite being cumbersome to adapt to for veteran teams EA really needs to rethink Frostbite being EA's "engine" or something, to be honest.

The only alternative is to license UE4, but EA's games make so much money that the 5% license fee would end up being pretty huge, so EA would rather force their devs to use an engine that isnt even suited for the type of game they're making.

Bungie ran into the same problem.

g11

Can we sue EA for false advertising and force them to change their name? Because nothing about what they do could ever be considered art.

They turned shuttering studios into an art. Boom. Checkmate. Evisceration Arts.

As fascinating as it is to learn that Dead Space 2 wasn't "profitable" for EA, I'm kind of curious how Dante's Inferno did for them. That game was...weird.

CHC

That we've had to wait this long and now longer for a new blockbuster single player Star Wars game is absurd.

Amen. I wonder, at some point, if Disney is going to become involved in the situation more directly. While they could have been behind this situation in some way, it seems more likely that they too are frustrated by the Star Wars brand on the video game side. They have been quite prolific in terms of putting out toys, movies, and other properties in the Star Wars universe, and there's no reason that major Star Wars games should face such big hurdles right now.

I'm clearly biased because of my distaste for EA as a publisher, but I do wonder if at some point they'd break it off with EA and either find someone with a more consistent output (like Ubisoft) or just start up one or more dedicated Star Wars game studios themselves.

strafer

They turned shuttering studios into an art. Boom. Checkmate.

As fascinating as it is to learn that Dead Space 2 wasn't "profitable" for EA, I'm kind of curious how Dante's Inferno did for them. That game was...weird.

I saw that thread but I have been two afraid to enter it, but super wierd to see DS2 didnt sell well, that game is awesome, guess people didn't want a second game.

Snaku

Banned
Amen. I wonder, at some point, if Disney is going to become involved in the situation more directly. While they could have been behind this situation in some way, it seems more likely that they too are frustrated by the Star Wars brand on the video game side. They have been quite prolific in terms of putting out toys, movies, and other properties in the Star Wars universe, and there's no reason that major Star Wars games should face such big hurdles right now.

I'm clearly biased because of my distaste for EA as a publisher, but I do wonder if at some point they'd break it off with EA and either find someone with a more consistent output (like Ubisoft) or just start up one or more dedicated Star Wars game studios themselves.

Yeah, I could see them reforming LucasArts after all this bullshit. When does their contract with EA expire?

Well , i was worried about viscerrall after battlefield hardline , but when they got that star wars projet i thought the star wars brand was influencial enough to keep them open , since star wars prints money ..

I was wrong ...

Well played EA, well played

Adryuu

There goes our possible last hope of any AAA linear story centric games more.

I don't think even Naughty Dog does it fully again in the future. God of War ps4 may be the last one for a long time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is 2008 the last great year for EA? Then we got Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Burnout Paradise. Don't think there's been a year like that (with interesting new ip's) and it was all downhill from there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The reason devs have difficulty is because even with DICE support, they have trouble modifying the engine to do things it doesn't support since it was made primarily for FPS games.

Give it to Sony and just use ND's engine.
Not how engines work.

It's times like these where I really wish Disney hadn't signed an exclusive 10-year deal with EA for the Star Wars license. What I would give for a Star Wars game made by literally anyone else.

Bummer for Visceral and for Amy. Really hope everyone lands on their feet.

Jesus Christ EA are quite the butcher aint they. Does anyone have a list of how many studios EA has left ? I think this closure also signals some very clear messages that we will never see a game like Mass Effect ever again either.

EA really is one of the shittiest things to ever happen to the gaming industry, it is hard to understand why anyone supports these arseholes.

Dynomutt

The reason devs have difficulty is because even with DICE support, they have trouble modifying the engine to do things it doesn't support since it was made primarily for FPS games.

Not how engines work.

I meant the whole game or least they should've from the beginning. It sounds like the game is not even that far along outside of a vertical slice.

CHC

Gaming is a business, not a charity. Some people just can't understand that. I hate seeing people losing their jobs, but they had three years to produce something and we got nothing. At some point a studio needs to take accountability.

That is true. But it's also true that we don't actually know what they had, and EA has had a shaky publishing track record (to say the least) over the last 5 or so years.

Not taking this "personally" or anything, it's just a frustrating situation to watch.

Garlador

One could make a very compelling argument that Visceral was EA’s best studio, and without question at least one of their best and most talented, and EA didn’t even know it.

Dead Space alone is better than 95% of what EA churns out these days, and Dead Space 2 is arguably even better. When they were doing their own thing, without EA getting in their midst, they soared like few studios in the industry.

I’m not even surprised EA killed them. Disappointed, sad, and angry, yes. But not surprised.

Studios like Visceral were putting the “Arts” in Electronic Arts, and that’s something EA hasn’t been about for a very long time. Loot boxes, on the other hand...

Hope everyone lands on their feet and are able to keep making great games. But, yeah, this stings a LOT, mostly because, well... again, I'm not surprised. EA didn't know what they had and never did.

Jesus Christ EA are quite the butcher aint they. Does anyone have a list of how many studios EA has left ? I think this closure also signals some very clear messages that we will never see a game like Mass Effect ever again either.

EA really is one of the shittiest things to ever happen to the gaming industry, it is hard to understand why anyone supports these arseholes.
No, they really are not. Like jesus christ what an overreaction.

Ehh, slight correction: with sports games working out alrightish, it doesn't appear that it's first person shooter that differentiates. But otherwise, this absolutely seems to be the case, the thing was designed with very specific gameplay model in mind and appears to be quite problematic for different things.

jayu26

There goes our possible last hope of any AAA linear story centric games more.

I don't think even Naughty Dog does it fully again in the future. God of War ps4 may be the last one for a long time.
They have already announced Last of Us Part 2.

Top Bottom