• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports developing Canadian Football League game

BTails

Oh snap, as a huge Stampeders fan, I'm extremely excited! I've been saying for years that I'd buy a Madden game if they released a $20-30 CFL DLC pack to it.

Stamps are pretty popular here in Calgary. Pretty much Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba will be all over this.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
This is cool, though I don't watch CFL (my dad was a huge fan and my brother is too). Sucks that is sounds like a reskinned Madden, with the NFL field/rules.

blazeaire

Meh, call me up when they release an AFL game, now that is an entertaining sport, only ball game where you have to use both hand and feet skills equally

Megasoum

Banned
CFL rules is actually really fucking great (I love it more than NFL rules) but if they use the American field and rules then it's useless

Big-E

CFL rules is actually really fucking great (I love it more than NFL rules) but if they use the American field and rules then it's useless

CFL rules are superior. Wonder how the bigger ball would go with the current flock of NFL QBs.

Correct me if Im wrong but I think the rules in the CFL are more true to the original rules in grid iron football than the NFL.

Why do they mention US Field/Gameplay? It is probably do to the fact that changing the downs from 4 to 3 and having the field wider and longer breaks the code.

By "breaks the code" do you mean EA isn't willing to blow the meager profit they'll generate off a CFL game by providing any extra resources over what it's going to take to reskin Madden for this project? Hopefully.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
argos-celebration-fail.gif

Big-E

By "breaks the code" do you mean EA isn't willing to blow the meager profit they'll generate off a CFL game by providing any extra resources over what it's going to take to reskin Madden for this project? Hopefully.

Games are made to make money. Even if this sells to every single console owner in the Prairie provinces, it is only going to sell at the absolute most 50k copies and I am being very generous in that estimate. I am speculating that the rule changes would break some code as Madden has been operating under assumptions for years and IIRC some of these sports games even have code left over from the Genesis era. Some of the rule changes are quite drastic so they might break the current code which means work needs to be done and work means money which means more copies need to be sold to make money when the amount of copies sold is going to be low to begin with even if they did make a game from scratch. Making a CFL game from scratch would be a stupid business decision and the only way that a CFL game could be made from scratch is if the CFL was paying for all the development and didn't care about getting money back.

Teeth

An EA high school football game would probably sale more in Texas/Oklahoma alone.

Probably true.

Saskatchewan only has about a million people, and while half of Calgary's population comes from Saskatchewan (lel), it's like making a football game for a single American city.

Wow, this is unexpected! I'd love to check out the Blue Bombers and IG Stadium in the game. Looking forward to seeing more about this.

Stand alone game w/ current & alumni cfl rosters rosters, CFL stadiums, with U.S. field/gameplay

Why bother if they aren't going to have proper field size and gameplay, pretty ridiculous really. A larger CFL field must be difficult to
animate, err,
render.

Maybe they are taking the cheapest way out to see if it sells, then improve things for a second go round, but half-assing it will turn off a lot of people. I'm more of a NFL fan these days but I know lots of hardcore CFL fans who would not be pleased used NFL field size, rules, etc.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
CFL has way more interesting rules than the NFL. Have no interest in the CFL itself but playing with NFL rosters with CFL rules could be cool

edit - lol never mind. just saw its US field rules... its literally a madden reskin lol

There is literally zero chance of this happening. With all the stuff they want to do with the Madden series - as well as their other sports series - there's no way that EA allocates the resources for something so niche. It's all-hands-on-deck at EA with their sports titles right now, as they move their entire platform to Frostbite.

Totally fake, totally bogus claim.

ranmafan

Nice. Always wanted a CFL game. Will certainly get if it happens. Now I would also love an AFL aussie rules one too. I know there have been ones in the past but always seemed hard to buy. Never could find a store online that sold them plus I heard they weren't so good either.

pots555

If they keep the CFL rules, I'm in. First football game I would buy in my life. I live near Montreal and the Alouettes are very popular over here.

Thats awesome.

I havent bought a Madden game in years, and I dont even really watch the CFL unless its the post season, but god damnit I will buy the shit out of this just for fact that it exists, haha.

Go Eskimos! :p

edit:

Wait what:

"with U.S. field/gameplay"

I missed this part... skinny 100 yard field and 4 downs? If they model all the stadiums and shit, but make it NFL rules, im out!

pastapadre

Neo Member
This is not happening. He's now clarified that he misspoke.

The scenario of EA making a standalone CFL console game, let alone one with NFL rules and field dimensions, was never a plausible one.

The CFL is not watched in Toronto and Vancouver, two of the biggest Canadian cities. Logically, you would think that they would be the best markets but people in the big cities have a type of elitism where the CFL is seen as inferior to the NFL so no one watches. These cities also have a lot going on so there is more competition.

I enjoy the CFL and watch it sometimes because I enjoy sports. Most sport "fans" in the cities are not really sports fans in that they go to what is popular and right now the CFL is not popular.

Attendance isn't particularly good in Vancouver and Toronto, but things might be changing slowly for the better... hopefully. For Vancouver, most people tend to cheer for the Seahawks and think it's their team. And Toronto... well, I don't even know. It's that "we are a big city so we need a big NFL team and we won't settle or care for less!" That said, the TV ratings in those markets are very strong so there are a lot of people that do care about the game enough to watch the games on TV but won't go to the game. The Lions and Argos need to do more to attract people the game day experience, which is amazing across the rest of the league. Toronto is definitely trying at least.

There definitely is an elitist attitude in those two markets where it's seen as this "inferior" or "bush" or "amateur" league (definitely isn't) and if you cheer for it you're a loser or something. I know a few people myself who laugh at me for watching the CFL and then start talking up the NFL as the only thing that matters. I just laugh and tell them I watch both because I love the sport of football and both leagues have something great to offer. I'm preferential the game of the CFL but I greatly enjoy both. It doesn't make you any less of a person to enjoy the CFL... Anyway, it's kind of sad.

I'd be super excited for a proper CFL game. I've been hoping for one for a looooong time. Even if it is a download-only game or something, it'd be long overdue and it would be really exciting. That said, it needs to be done right and with care. There may be a lot of people of think it's a joke of league because it isn't American or something, but it's a professional football league with highly skilled players, has been around for a very, very long time and is a big deal in Canada despite the detractors. It deserves care and attention and needs to be taken seriously. That said, the tweet says the game would be using a US sized field and rules, which is the opposite of that, a terrible idea and would just be making a mockery of the league. Don't bother then.

I also don't even believe it. It's been talked about here and there for years... it won't happen.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Attendance isn't particularly good in Vancouver and Toronto, but things might be changing slowly for the better... hopefully. For Vancouver, most people tend to cheer for the Seahawks and think it's their team. And Toronto... well, I don't even know. It's that "we are a big city so we need a big NFL team and we won't settle or care for less!" That said, the TV ratings in those markets are very strong so there are a lot of people that do care about the game enough to watch the games on TV but won't go to the game. The Lions and Argos need to do more to attract people the game day experience, which is amazing across the rest of the league. Toronto is definitely trying at least.

There definitely is an elitist attitude in those two markets where it's seen as this "inferior" or "bush" or "amateur" league (definitely isn't) and if you cheer for it you're a loser or something. I know a few people myself who laugh at me for watching the CFL and then start talking up the NFL as the only thing that matters. I just laugh and tell them I watch both because I love the sport of football and both leagues have something great to offer. I'm preferential the game of the CFL but I greatly enjoy both. It doesn't make you any less of a person to enjoy the CFL... Anyway, it's kind of sad.

I'd be super excited for a proper CFL game. I've been hoping for one for a looooong time. Even if it is a download-only game or something, it'd be long overdue and it would be really exciting. That said, it needs to be done right and with care. There may be a lot of people of think it's a joke of league because it isn't American or something, but it's a professional football league with highly skilled players, has been around for a very, very long time and is a big deal in Canada despite the detractors. It deserves care and attention and needs to be taken seriously. That said, the tweet says the game would be using a US sized field and rules, which is the opposite of that, a terrible idea and would just be making a mockery of the league. Don't bother then.

I also don't even believe it. It's been talked about here and there for years... it won't happen.

Good post

Wow. I had kind of hoped for this, but never expected it given the CFL's much more limited audience.

I'll probably check it out, but doubt I'll buy it given my general lack of interest in football.

zedge

Good, it didn't make any sense.

"i dont like something so no one else should"

Regarding no one watches CFL.. More watch CFL than MLS.. not one MLS game in the top 15.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...-as-audiences-rise-10-per-cent-201845861.html

Here are the most-watched English-language sports broadcasts from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. MLB, Mariners at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet: 1,040,000

2. MLB, Mariners at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 947,000

3. CFL, Redblacks at Roughriders, Friday, TSN: 904,000

4. MLB, Mariners at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 694,000

5. CFL, Tiger-Cats at Eskimos, Saturday, TSN: 672,000

6. PGA, Canadian Open final round, Sunday, Global: 453,000

7. Auto racing, NASCAR Crown Royal 400, Sunday, TSN: 256,000

8. Auto racing, F1 Hungarian Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 241,000

9. PGA, Canadian Open third round, Saturday, Global: 235,000

10. MLB, Giants at Yankees, Saturday, Sportsnet: 166,000

11. Athletics, Diamond League track, Saturday, CBC: 164,000

12. MLB, Twins at Red Sox, Saturday, Sportsnet: 152,000

13. Show jumping, Rolex Grand Prix, Saturday, CBC: 142,000

14. PGA, Canadian Open round 2, Friday, TSN: 130,000

15. MLB, Dodgers at Cardinals, Sunday, TSN: 127,000

16. Soccer, Canada vs. France (women), Saturday, CBC: 122,000

Average attendance this year is just under 25K.. Toronto bringing that number down. ;) Hopefully with the Argos playing in BMO now they can draw some more to the games. Much to the dismay of TFC fans.. such a salty bunch of meat heads.

Posting as I watch the Stamps vs Lions game. Looks like at least 25k at McMahon.

Too bad theres going to be no game, they could possibly make it an add on to NFL perhaps.. Dreaming I know. I do recall a CFL game for PC long ago or was it on Commodore, can't remember.

Booourns!

Edit: Oh well, if it used NFL rules it would have been wrong.

New Taylor field is looking good, so jealous..

CoepBevVUAAnKrC.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/ReginaRev

I still like IGF in Winnipeg the best though, beautiful stadium. Too bad the bombers are blowing chunks.. almost as bad as the Riders.

/runs

This is now the unofficial CFL thread..

DiscoJer

I've often thought the CFL should try expanding into the US, in places that don't have football teams. Here in St. Louis, we don't have an NFL team anymore, nor do we have any notable college football team nearby.

This could be a first step.

Top Bottom