• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA suspends SimCity marketing campaigns

pahamrick

The fuck? Of course they'd stop making a game that didn't sell...

Sorry, probably should have marked that as sarcasm. That's exactly one of the reasons why I don't regret having the game, the hope that it will help push another SimCity out eventually.

GlassBox

Banned
It's one thing to have servers go down because you're playing an MMO. It's another when it's because of DRM.
SimCity's core engineering requires the servers in order to function. Identical to an MMO. It's the very reason Cheetah speed had to be disabled, because the server is partially responsible for the computations of the simulation.

I guess that means all MMO's are crippled by DRM then eh? (could be)

Interfectum

SimCity's core engineering requires the servers in order to function. Identical to an MMO.

Which simply means they are bad designers. The reason why MMOs are designed like MMOs is because they HAVE to be. They didn't have to design SimCity like this. They didn't have to force everyone online to enjoy the gameplay. They chose to. It's DRM.

KaYotiX

Banned
...Right, we get that. The reason people are upset is because we don't understand the reasoning behind it.

They wanted to try something different?

If I wanted the same old SimCity game id play 1,2000,3000 or 4. Im glad they tried something new, yes this server fuck up is horrible and annoying but playing it safe would just lead to everyone complaining that it was just like the other 4 games in the series.

pahamrick

Which simply means they are bad designers. The reason why MMOs are designed like MMOs is because they HAVE to be. They didn't have to design SimCity like this. They didn't have to force everyone online to enjoy the gameplay. They chose to. It's DRM.

I can't help but think it was a stipulation to get the bigwigs at EA to agree to the game in the first place. Pretty sure Ocean mentioned in one of the videos he was begging the higher ups (maybe not in those words) at EA for the go ahead for a new SimCity.

You purchased the game which means you're fine with it. You voted with your wallet. You gave money to them so they can continue doing what they are doing.

That's right, I am fine with it. Well, maybe not fine, just not apeshit insanely mad going around signing petitions and voting for EA as worst company of america not fine.

Me being "fine" with it also takes into account the fact that I only paid 21€ for it btw.

No, it wouldn't of been a different game. It would of been SimCity. The online requirement effectively makes this a different game, a game that shouldn't of had the SC brand anywhere near it. If anything this should of been a Sims branded affair.

There's a reason it isn't called SimCity 5. This SimCity is a reboot. And what game it should have been really isn't a decision you make. It is what the developers want it to be.

Zeal

Banned
This is going to make publishers think hard about always online connections for offline titles. If this shit happens with the next Xbox or PS4, I promise you the whole fucking industry will belly up. People have shown they are NOT going to put up with this shit, which has only increased by faith in the game community.

Good on everyone.

Partition

Banned

If I wanted the same old SimCity game id play 1,2000,3000 or 4. Im glad they tried something new, yes this server fuck up is horrible and annoying but playing it safe would just lead to everyone complaining that it was just like the other 4 games in the series.

That makes no sense. It's the first 3D SimCity game, bugs and content omissions aside, the base game is pretty good. I don't think anyone wanted something "drastically different". We wanted a new SimCity game because we waited a decade for one. They should of kept this kind of online experimenting to Facebook.

Ramma2

This is going to make publishers think hard about always online connections for offline titles. If this shit happens with the next Xbox or PS4, I promise you the whole fucking industry will belly up. People have shown they are NOT going to put up with this shit, which has only increased by faith in the game community.

Good on everyone.

If the always on rumors about the 720 are true, I hope that there's an awful lot of guys in suits at Microsoft sitting in a board room wringing their hands right now.

GlassBox

Banned
Funny thing is, the base game works well right? Well, that's because a lot of the engineering and processing power of the simulation is being done through the server. Without the servers, well, the game cannot function. That's why it is more than just simple DRM. It's core features just like an MMO. So why do MMO's get a DRM pass?

EDIT: There's a reason why the developers were always stressing MMO like design in their talks about creating the game.

SimCity's core engineering requires the servers in order to function. Identical to an MMO. It's the very reason Cheetah speed had to be disabled, because the server is partially responsible for the computations of the simulation.

Right, they designed it like idiots.

It's been enough time since the old games that sticking closer to the old formula wouldn't have been a big problem. It's not like this franchise has been getting whored out every year.

Not to mention there are other ways to approach creating some different. Perhaps in a way that makes their game playable.

Unison

Funny thing is, the base game works well right? Well, that's because a lot of the engineering and processing power of the simulation is being done through the server. Without the servers, well, the game cannot function. That's why it is more than just simple DRM. It's core features just like an MMO. So why do MMO's get a DRM pass?

EDIT: There's a reason why the developers were always stressing MMO like design in their talks about creating the game.

Your computer could have easily done those computations... certainly for what's going on in your own individual city. It is a computer.

It's being offloaded to justify the game being always online.

pahamrick

Okay, I really like the game but I'm curious about something. If the server is doing a lot of the simulation, why can the game still function when you're disconnected?

Example, the other night I was in my city and I had the notification that I was disconnected from the server and it was trying to connect. For those whole 5 minutes I was disconnected, I could still play, and build, follow the Sims around if I choose. Getting my water and electricity from my friend's city still worked. I still saw his buses zooming around my city, too.

So, whats the simcity score at today?
0G8OrgY.gif

Myshkin

Please again, for my sake. Explain to me what was done in this game that couldn't have been offline. How could I not have two cities by myself and trade between them? How does that require me to be online?

I am stunned that you can't see the deep deep online features in this game. It's as if you totally ignore things like
Did you know there are <parameter: string> train stations on the planet?

zoku88

Perhaps they should have designed so that it could also run on user's servers and not just EA's.

Assuming that this has nothing to do with DRM.

But, of course, it does. Or else they would have no reason to restrict it to just EA servers.

GlassBox

Banned
Okay, I really like the game but I'm curious about something. If the server is doing a lot of the simulation, why can the game still function when you're disconnected?

Example, the other night I was in my city and I had the notification that I was disconnected from the server and it was trying to connect. For those whole 5 minutes I was disconnected, I could still play, and build, follow the Sims around if I choose. Getting my water and electricity from my friend's city still worked. I still saw his buses zooming around my city, too.
Remember they did build in safeguards so that the simulation could still function if a player was disconnected for a short period of time, but not for an extended period.

orznge

Banned
Remember they did build in safeguards so that the simulation could still function if a player was disconnected for a short period of time, but not for an extended period.

I wonder how long it will take until someone reverse-engineers that lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
...Right, we get that. The reason people are upset is because we don't understand the reasoning behind it.

No, we do understand the reasoning behind it. We just don't fucking like the reasoning behind it as consumers.

Very glad I didn't allow my love for SimCity games to get me conned into buying this.

Row

Banned
Is it bad that I'm enjoying this? I love seeing stupid shit like this fall flat on its face and go up in flames.

On some level I find it very amusing, and I'm hopeful this may mean less always-online games int he future

...on the other hand, I paid $60+ for this and just want to be able to play my game whenever I want

Daft_Cat

I've been playing every night since launch for at least a few hours. I couldn't get on right when I bought it, but since then it's been really smooth. I guess I'm in the vast minority.

Hopefully this prompts Maxis to introduce a Non-DRM single-player portion. I have to imagine that would dramatically decrease the stress on the servers. Why can't EA just have it so that copies only connect to the servers at launch to verify the serial? I feel like that should at least be an option for single-player oriented gamers.

Partition

Banned
No, we do understand the reasoning behind it. We just don't fucking like the reasoning behind it as consumers.

Very glad I didn't allow my love for SimCity games to get me conned into buying this.

I know that, it's just annoying how people here (and EA) are dancing around the fact it's always online for DRM purposes. What I don't understand is the argument that they intentionally crippled this game for multiplayer which has no place in the game to begin with.

MormaPope

Banned
Take me down to Simulation City, where the grass is green and DRM ain't pretty.
Take me home!

Just a <parameter: string> livin under the street
I'm a easy customer that's hard to treat
I'm your consumer so make me something I can beat
I'll play another time
Take it to the end of the <parameter: string>

GlassBox

Banned
What I don't understand is the argument that they intentionally crippled this game for multiplayer which has no place in the game to begin with.
Just because you feel multiplayer has no place in a game doesn't make it so. Clearly the designers thought and felt strongly otherwise.

I fail to see why this is so hard to grasp. It's just like an MMO, this is the way they wanted SimCity to evolve. It's also why it wasn't specifically called SimCity 5. It's a new beginning and new vision. Just as World of Warcraft was a new vision for the Warcraft franchise.

Top Bottom