• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA & Ubisoft should both have a 7 year IP

gafneo

Banned
By this I mean, aside from the annual dead line projects that take a few years to produce, why not invest in one major IP that is ran off a blank check, no dead line, AAA productions through the roof. You know, like how a 1st party exclusive is suppose to be. Their catalogue would be mobile, indie, annual sports/ block buster action, MMO, and major passion product. The game would be bug free, none gender or age target specific, have no dlc, no freemiums. No busines over art. Just a present for gamers and for the love of gaming.

jonno394

A seven year development period would cost a fortune and would likely not recoup these costs so it's not something an EA would do.

giphy.gif

Well it's gotta make money too. Say what you want about both companies, they have released a lot of new IPs. Hell, even Square has. But when games like Mirror's Edge Catalyst flop, it's harder to imagine this happening.

Jonnax

Blank check? How do you justify that to shareholders?

What if they spend 7 years on a Battleborn?

Why don't you try doing this. Pick a team size, multiply it by an average salary you expect the workers to be earning, then multiply it by the number of years.

Also have a look at marketing budgets for high selling games.

Now calculate how many units they need to sell. Remember if Digital they woud get 70%ish, if Physical they may get 30 to 50% the rest goes to stores.

jdstorm

Banned
Games dont need years in realtime, they need total manhours. There is little reason to give a 50 person team 7 years when you could give a 100 person team 3.5 years.

Obviously there is a balance to be struck between large teams and length of development. However with how rapidly tech can change over 7 years you would just be releasing an outdated game, or constantly be battling feature/scope creep.

It seems like 3-4 years with a large team is closer to the ideal length for AAA games for that very reason.

Steroyd

That's insane, they need a human with a vision and enough passion to convince the higher ups of said vision also that person needs to have a good record of delivering on that game with smaller projects leading up to it.

EA and Ubisoft have NONE of that, they might as well burn money.

vern

Why doesn't every company sell 60 million copies of each of their games? Seems like an obvious idea, surprised only rockstar thought of it.

gafneo

Banned
Blank check? How do you justify that to shareholders?

What if they spend 7 years on a Battleborn?

Why don't you try doing this. Pick a team size, multiply it by an average salary you expect the workers to be earning, then multiply it by the number of years.

Also have a look at marketing budgets for high selling games.

Now calculate how many units they need to sell. Remember if Digital they woud get 70%ish, if Physical they may get 30 to 50% the rest goes to stores.
1. That a quality product will make a ton of money
2. Then Battleborn would have been groundbreaking if it had that love
3. Because you could have a bunch of heads messing up the product rather than have a dream team of creators who have brainstorming freedom under their own creative will. All those mans hours would need to be accounted for and would be deadline heavy like all their other products.

Matt

By this I mean, aside from the annual dead line projects that take a few years to produce, why not invest in one major IP that is ran off a blank check, no dead line, AAA productions through the roof. You know, like how a 1st party exclusive is suppose to be. Their catalogue would be mobile, indie, annual sports/ block buster action, MMO, and major passion product. The game would be bug free, none gender or age target specific, have no dlc, no freemiums. No busines over art. Just a present for gamers and for the love of gaming.
Not they shouldn't. That's insane. I love games, and I would laugh out of the room anyone that made such a ridiculous proposal.

Csr

Too many people are focusing on the specifics (which are indeed unrealistic) and not the essence of what the op is saying.
I think he is talking about a franchise that doesn't come out every year or every other year and that it is a passion project and not a product of target groups.
Personally i don't know if they have such franchises or not or if they should but i would probably be more interested in them than those yearly franchises that i don't buy.

Oh yeah because that 60 million copies of GTA V sold is too costly for Rockstar to recover from.

Is that your argument? "Why don't Ubisoft and EA spend 7 years developing a game that will sell like GTAV?!" Great argument buddy. You should pitch that to a major publisher.

Eumi

"Why don't companies just make a perfect game with no flaws that appeals to everyone and has no budgetary limitations?"

Ninjuit

Neo Member
Wait, you want a game that's purposefully stuck in development hell? A game being developed for a long time doesn't guarantee it's going to be good.

TheJoRu

Producer: "Hey, how about we make this game, this really huge game. We'll work on it for 7 years, it's gonna be an awesome game. And we'll make it a gift to gamers!"

Exec: "Yeah, how about you make it a gift to our wallets instead?"

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Guys, guys, listen! I've figured it out! The reason games aren't perfect and don't please every possible demographic is because they don't take long enough or cost enough money to make!

Surely gamers will respond with universal love and praise to our perfect passion project!

What kind of game is it?

Uh, it has shooting I guess but also nonviolence and every race and gender and orientation is represented! Look, I don't know what genre it is but it cost 500 million dollars so it's gonna really be something special.

Dunkley

Why settle for creating something truly special when it is so easy to just create something mediocre people will still buy because of marketing and hype? It's not impossible to think some care about their artistic integrity and praise them for elevating the medium to so much higher heights than these pubs, but why should publishers in for the money really care devoting such a crazy amount of time into one project if the market will just eat up mediocre experiences that are developed far faster the same way?

Not saying EA and Ubisoft didn't have expressive projects that cared more about gaming as an art form rather than a market (Unravel, Child Of Light), but the issue is for games, especially those that primarily appeal to the casual market, great experiences with short dev cycles are "good enough" and there isn't much incentive to spread out these releases further if you can just release them in the state they are in and make a ton of money too except in far quicker succession.

R00bot

I think 3rd parties will never have something like what you're suggesting, but 1st party games such as Smash Bros and Zelda (especially breath of the wild) are kinda like that.

gafneo

Banned
Two many people are focusing on the specifics (which are indeed unrealistic) and not the essence of what the op is saying.
I think he is talking about a franchise that doesn't come out every year or every other year and that it is a passion project and not a product of target groups.
Personally i don't know if they have such franchises or not or if they should but i would probably be more interested in them than those yearly franchises that i don't buy.

Yeah to sum up what I mean, have Ubisoft take an original or profound IP, Treat it like a 1st party IP, polish it to their hearts content, then release it when it's complete on all stages. They could continue releasing games at the same rate with bloated schedules to balance the budget. This one IP could be like their console life cycle defiant project. One that the creatives run wild with

Top Bottom