• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA & Ubisoft should both have a 7 year IP

gafneo

Banned
GTA can afford to take time between releases. GTA sells well somehow even though the gap between releases can be many years.

Why would they compete against themselves?

Final Fantasy 15 is an oddity in GD terms. Because Versus 13 was announced years before it entered any kind of meaningful production cycle it can't reasonably be a game that took 7+ years. At best I'd give it fours years of generous, actual development time.

Also the development time of previous games in the series were much shorter. FF9 took less than two years from scenario writing to release and was developed in Hawaii while 8 was still wrapping up production. The only times when games took longer were due to staff or technical problems - not because they let the team take their time.

If they could they would have released these games in their intended timeframes. We really only got X-2 because XII was so far behind schedule and they had an engine ready to go.

FF13 - 5 years (development problems)
FF12 - 5 years (due to Matsuno's health reasons)
FF10-2 - 1.5 years
FF10 - 2 years
FF9 - 2 years
FF8- 2 years
FF7 - 3 years

The thing most shocking though is that while it took less than two years to develop FFX, the FFX HD remaster took longer for the team to bake. Though I guess you could fold X2 into that and it works out.

If they spent 7 years on one massive product, those years would be divided amongst the company. I'm taking that one game sharing assets and resources for all their libraries. It would cut time for those other projects because the quality is already there.

Name me one major IP currently owned by EA and Ubisoft that sells 1/5th of what GTA V does.

there is non.. BUT they will never get an IP like that unless they try and EA and Ubisoft aint fucking trying.

They been dishing out half finished games for year and I have stopped buying games from them. Its fucking trash!

Look what Nintendo did with Zelda Breath of the wild, this game is one of the best games ever, around 5 years dev time maybe?

If they spent 7 years on one massive product, those years would be divided amongst the company. I'm taking that one game sharing assets and resources for all their libraries. It would cut time for those other projects because the quality is already there.
That's... not what you said. You're now talking about making multiple games with the same assets over seven years.

That's kinda what FromSoft do with their assets, reusing some from Bloodborne for DS3 except you do realise that people get turned off by what they see as "lazy dev" syndrome.

You're also needing to guarantee quality and interest from the first game onwards.

They elimnate some of their successful brands. Kill off Dragon Age and Mass Effect once they start to falter. Take the money from those ips and build something much more massive in scale and ambition. Spend more money on the frost byte so it can handle newly created ai scripts and psychics based engines.
This already happens. If a series is not profitable anymore, they move on or rethink the series. See Assassin's Creed at the moment as a good example.

Peltz

Diminishing returns....

There is only so much money and manpower that could make a game fun. Look at Duke Nukem Forever, FFXV, BotW, Last Guardian, or any other game with a very long development cycle.... It's not the length of development which makes those games fun or not fun.

If you don't nail the concept early on and stay true to the vision, then more money and time would not make a game a blockbuster. Adding more, and more, and more to a game for years just to increase the spectacle doesn't really change or enhance the product like you think it would. Yes, it can add polish, but the team has to decide very early on what the game will look like and commit to it. There's only so many unique things you can do with a core concept such that 7 years makes sense to keep adding stuff.

There's also no reason to turn 30 hour games into 200 hour games. Chances are, the first 30 hours will be far more fun than the last 170. And if you really inject enough variety into your game such that each 50 hour increment in a 200 hour epic is truly distinct and different, then it may be best to divide up those chapters into several games anyway.

Matt

Nah, it's not so crazy. They would do a lot of research. You think each Super Bowl team has to win? One must fall or become the champion. Question is, who will come out on top?
You have yet to actually answer why they would do any of this.

MouldyK

Name me one major IP currently owned by EA and Ubisoft that sells 1/5th of what GTA V does.

there is non.. BUT they will never get an IP like that unless they try and EA and Ubisoft aint fucking trying.

They been dishing out half finished games for year and I have stopped buying games from them. Its fucking trash!

Look what Nintendo did with Zelda Breath of the wild, this game is one of the best games ever, around 5 years dev time maybe?

And it still won't sell 1/5 of GTA V's Numbers.

7 years sounds like too much, but I do agree that every developer that can afford it should be working on at least 1 game that takes up to that long if necessary, because if you look at the games that did take ages to develop and that had massive budgets, they turned out to be some of the best games of all time and more than made their money back.

Let's look at a few examples. Zelda BOTW took 5 years I believe, and now it's one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time and is selling like hotcakes (as well as driving sales of the Switch). Clearly spending 5 years on it paid off big time.

Horizon Zero Dawn too 6 years I think, and because it was allowed to be worked on until the developers were satisfied, the end product was incredible and has sold close to 3 million copies already.

GTA 5 took 5 years or so and has sold something like 50 million copies or something insane like that.

I mean, it just seems like if a talented developer is allowed the time and resources to make the best game they can make then the final product will be amazing. It will review and sell very well and make a shitload of money. It makes a lot more sense to me to allow games to be worked on longer rather than prematurely releasing something that just has potential.

I'm sure if you rolled up to a publisher and said "I can give you a game that is guaranteed 100% to be as good and sell as well as GTA, just give me seven years," most of them would say no because that LITERALLY DOES NOT EXIST AS AN OPTION.

Nothing is a guarantee and big gaming publishers are risk-averse. In this case, rightfully so. You're asking them to bet it all on the Homer.

nOoblet16

By this I mean, aside from the annual dead line projects that take a few years to produce, why not invest in one major IP that is ran off a blank check, no dead line, AAA productions through the roof. You know, like how a 1st party exclusive is suppose to be. Their catalogue would be mobile, indie, annual sports/ block buster action, MMO, and major passion product. The game would be bug free, none gender or age target specific, have no dlc, no freemiums. No busines over art. Just a present for gamers and for the love of gaming.

And then if and when it fails, watch as people start losing jobs.
Nevermind the fact that this black cheque is paid for by someone i.e. the shareholders, and it'd be literally the equivalent of flushing money down the toilet because why would they pay for something they get no returns in ?

Aselith

It doesn't matter how long they take on a game, it will still be buggy. Bug free is not a thing.

And also you are advocating for business over art when you say "none gender or age target specific." Art...true art takes a position and has a perspective and has emotions and themes that it explores. It's impossible for it to be some universal, formless putty like you seem to want them to put out. Art can exist in business and frankly giving artists no boundaries results in very poor art. Creators tend to go off the rails when they lose the shackles of businessing. Think of George Lucas or the Wachowskis where they got all the time and money they needed and it made for WORSE experiences.

There is a very, very fine balance between giving the artist enough boundaries to keep them on track and so few boundaries that they lose their way.

Tigress

Name me one that put in as much effort into the game...

I mean Bethesda also puts a lot of years of work into their games and come out well for it too (yes, I know you people love to snipe on Bethesda but their games do sell well and they do spend a lot of time making them). And Horizon was a 6/7 year product.

I think the theme here is spend time to make the product good pays off.

Moosichu

Success is only temporary. EA is old as hell. You may not notice, but they changed dramatically over the years. This isn't like Coke where they held the flavor for years and people got mad when it tasted different. The gaming industry as a whole dramatically changes every 5 years. Look back 30 years ago. Business isn't what it used to be. If you play their games you may not see the growth. Just like if you see a child grow into their 30s. Parents or the person growing don't notice much, but a lot have changed.

So then why in the ever-living fuck would you make a game that has a 7 year Dev cycle, if the shape of the industry will have dramatically changed from conception to release?

Hahs

With all channels (every single aspect of making a game) involved in getting AAA's on the shelves, it wouldn't work, maybe...

...if it was privately funded by something/someone with incredibly deep pockets...someone like Bruce Wayne, or the little old dude from Jurassic Park.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The game would be bug free, none gender or age target specific, have no dlc, no freemiums. No busines over art. Just a present for gamers and for the love of gaming.
laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

Aselith

With all channels (every single aspect of making a game) involved in getting AAA's on the shelves, it wouldn't work, maybe...

...if it was privately funded by something/someone with incredibly deep pockets...someone like Bruce Wayne, or the little old dude from Jurassic Park.

latest

I'm Batman

F4r0_Atak

Oh yeah because that 60 million copies of GTA V sold is too costly for Rockstar to recover from.

Lol... they sold that much on 5 different platforms over the past ~4 years. If devs had 7 years for their project... it would be such a mess to find the right timing to start and to end the project.

• If you start the project mid-gen, chances are when you release your game during the new gen, the game's engine and tools will be outdated.

• If you release your game at the beginning of a new gen, chances are when you release your game, the sales of the game will be greatly affected (unless you push the marketing, see Watch Dogs as reference). As people will slowly transitioned to the next gen.

I mean Bethesda also puts a lot of years of work into their games and come out well for it too (yes, I know you people love to snipe on Bethesda but their games do sell well and they do spend a lot of time making them). And Horizon was a 6/7 year product.

Lol... Horizon 4 or 5 years top. They went full production on Horizon after Killzone Shadow Fall release, which was in 2013. Rumors about them working on a new IP appeared in 2013, same year as the release of the PS4.

gogosox82

Because they are running a business and they want to make money off of the project at some point. A 7 year IP doesn't sound like it would make their money back.

I have to mention, but just because a creator have complete creative freedom, does not guarantee that you'll have an amazing product at the end of it.

Even the best of minds can fail.

Also, op what you're asking is usually seen only on First parties like Sony and Nintendo because even if the final product doesn't sell as well as they would hope, it's something that would increase the portfolio of their consoles.

First parties take the risk while third parties make the blockbusters.

gogosox82

Horizon was 4 or 5 years. Rumors about them working on a new ip started the same year the ps4 came out in 2013. Bethesda spends a lot of time on their games but I don't think they have ever worked on a game for more than 5 years either. Oblivion was about 5 years and so was Skyrim. Fallout 4 was 4 was 5 years as well. 6 or 7 years is probably too long. Tech changes would change too much during that time and might make your game outdated.

Shai-Tan

Banned
technology and progress in game mechanics moves too fast for assets/methods to be relevant. many long development cycles are due to reworking and modernizing games which is basically making the game over again

Asking devs and publishers to take this kind of risk on and saying that some people will lose and others will win with the cream rising to the top is silly. Would you gamble with your own livelihood like that? This isn't a scenario where the losers learn some lessons and come back to work on Monday more motivated than ever.

Kureransu

Seven years, if taken literally, is a bit much, but i do feel 3-5 years should be the minimum. watch dogs was 5 years and i think the division was 3. Destiny was 4. My issue is that i feel the yearly releases cannibalize the potential sales of the franchise. If you look at Mario kart, smash bros, gta, destiny, etc, they sale SO much because they are given time to. This would give them time to let the game make as much money as they can, while have a small team work on DLC and the main team work on the next iteration

. I think this way would also work, because they can use the DLC as testing grounds for what could be used for the sequel. When all is said in done then rerelease it back at full retail or maybe a little below with all the dlc for one more resurgence of sales. then release a sequel.

Like if i still played COD i would never buy a map back because i'd just wait for the next game, or i'd skip the next game and just do the dlc. But i may be the minority.

Aselith

I don't even think the devs themselves would like this idea assuming it was feasible because that's way too much time on one project.

rrs

john romero did this in the 90's, but he also vacuumed up one of the best video game designers ever and most of looking glass studios at the peak of quality

Majukun

why?
their model works,they make a shitload of money

and they also sometime green light a project which isn't a sure-fire hit for PR benefits,so they really don't need it.

Top Bottom