• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA v EDGE GAMES, the Aftermath. Thread of the Decline and Fall of Tim Langdell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Twist of the year? :( Glad to see the Langdell ordeal is mostly over though.

Some wildly inappropriate comments were made pertaining to openly blackmailing Langdell, that have since been deleted. Try to avoid blatantly illegal activity.
For those just joining us.

ymmv

Banned
Huh? I don't remember seeing anyhing about blackmail in his posts. It seemed to just be asking Langdell for a response unless there was something I missed.

:(

I didn't see it either. The permaban is too harsh IMO. This is throwing out the baby with the bath water. A firm slap on the wrist would suffice ...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I didn't see it either. The permaban is too harsh IMO. This is throwing out the baby with the bath water. A firm slap on the wrist would suffice ...

There are still references to the comments in the thread, it was definitely there. It was an odd thing to see at the time. I doubt that phisheep, being fairly conversant in law, would have actually done anything illegal but talking about that sort of thing is probably not a great idea. Hope he can come back someday.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I have been in contact with phisheep. He's understandably distraught but if I understand correctly, he will return in about a month.

I believe he would value some contact with a mod for the purposes of explaining his side. I'm sure they have an email address but if not, drop me a PM.

Jintor

So Langdell is basically complaining:

- There are two matters before the court and the trademark cancellation shouldn't have taken place.
- The trademarks aren't with Edge Games, but with Edge Interactive Media, which is... I don't know. A shell company? It's not named in the 2010 case/court order, acc. Langdell. He also claims that they're co-owned by Future. He's basically saying that the Court wrote their cancellation order wrongly. I'm not well enough versed with the case to make a judgement call.

Oh also he wants to disbarr Future's attorneys who presented the court order because it's invalid? Apparently? And EA are relying on fabricated evidence or something? He submitted a formal complaint about EA's in-house attorney, in any case, and this other guy working for Reed Smith LLP.

Christ, this wording is appalling, it loops around in circles over and over again and the man can't stop using bold italicised underlined text.

I wish Phi were here, I can't wrap my head around this nonsense

Azih

I'm completely guessing here but it seemed pretty obvious to me that phisheep's offer to Langdell was for Langdell to do the right thing finally and give up all of his trademarks voluntarily thus preventing a lot of legal bullshit to finally get rid of Langdell's hold on anything relating to EDGE and if he didn't than phisheep would initiate criminal proceedings. The way it was worded was pretty threatening. I hope phisheep can explain his side of the story to the mods and the one month ban will be shortened. But that's for the mods.

Anton668

yeah, its almost more of the same... yet different.

the ATTORNEY COMPLAINT FORM is new isnt it?

Q:Why did Petitioners, a multi-billion dollar company, switch to acting in Pro Per, assigning an in-house attorney who was only admitted to the California State Bar days after the instant Petition was filed?

to which he states in #7

7. EDGE thus submits that the very act of a multi-billion dollar company taking the unheard of course of action of going in Pro Per on such a serious matter shows that Petitioners are well aware that they have been deliberately deceiving the Board (and the Director/Commissioner) by repeatedly presenting the October 8, 2010 District Court Final Order as valid and as one that the Board (Director/Commissioner) should act upon.

and this part seems kinda funny to me

that this too is a reason why Petitioners laid the exposure for this very egregious course of action on the shoulders of a young attorney and why Cooley came off record and why no reputable firm of attorneys would have come on record to replace Cooley for reasonable fear of repercussions to the firm and the individual; attorneys involved in representing Petitioners.

its like hes trying to use the same thing that has been said about himself many times that 'no self respecting attorney would represent him' against EA now..... lol

Ocaso

I have been in contact with phisheep. He's understandably distraught but if I understand correctly, he will return in about a month.

I believe he would value some contact with a mod for the purposes of explaining his side. I'm sure they have an email address but if not, drop me a PM.

I hope he does return. The effort he made in this thread is commendable, the type of thing you'd normally have to pay high fees to descifer and it'd be a shame to lose his insight. That said, I can see Evilore's side to the matter and realize some action had to be taken. Hope it's not permanent, though.

In any case, I'm not surprised this isn't over. This was too big of a milk cow to give up without an appeal. Hopefully justice will prevail nonetheless.

Very happy to hear that phisheep isn't perma'd. I understand the reasoning, but when I saw his name in that ominous grey, it seriously ruined my evening.

And why am I not surprised that Timmy bought more tickets for the tilt-a-whirl of stupidity?

Anyway, I propose we put off the party for now, due to things not being over and the absence of the guest of honor.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
yeah, its almost more of the same... yet different.

the ATTORNEY COMPLAINT FORM is new isnt it?

to which he states in #7

and this part seems kinda funny to me

its like hes trying to use the same thing that has been said about himself many times that 'no self respecting attorney would represent him' against EA now..... lol

Wow. Does he seriously think that baseless speculation is going to get him somewhere?

Pride

Very happy to hear that phisheep isn't perma'd. I understand the reasoning, but when I saw his name in that ominous grey, it seriously ruined my evening.

And why am I not surprised that Timmy bought more tickets for the tilt-a-whirl of stupidity?

Anyway, I propose we put off the party for now, due to things not being over and the absence of the guest of honor.

Agreed on all fronts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Langdell: "The fact that Phisheep was banned from the message board known as NeoGAF is further evidence that the marks are valid and that the court order is void on its face. Thus the board is obligated to order the USPTO to reinstate he marks"

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Nice to be back folks. It's party time - or at least it will be tomorrow.

1) Is it time for a party?

Yes it is. Quite apart from any private parties you guys might want to hold, I’d like to hold a party here in this thread. We deserve it, it has been a long run for all of us (and longer for you than for me, because usually you have been left hanging around for ages, while at least I knew when nothing was happening!).

I suggest Monday 22nd April at 8:00 pm UK time (that’s 9pm Europe, 3pm East Coast, 12 noon West Coast) – it is a bit hard to find a time that suits everyone (and Monday is my only day off) – so if that is OK with you I intend to be here and on the button for two hours at least (sigh, probably five – two hours always turns out to be five) to enjoy the moment with you guys. It being the internet and all that, you will have to bring your own wine and nibbles, but other than that it is like any other party – just have fun.

We're having it here so it doesn't clutter up the new thread (which is over there somewhere), but it is staying locked until after the party so we don't go getting winestains all over it. Besides, I'll be having a bit of a break from doing updates until Tuesday.

Just to whet your appetite for the new stuff though, I have spent a bit of time rummaging through California State law this afternoon and it looks to me like Langdell has rather significantly shot himself in the foot with his latest attempt. But that's for the new thread.

One more thing. Any discussion of my ban or the circumstances surrounding it is out of order. Verboten.

See you guys tomorrow - those who can make it. Meanwhile I'll tamper with the OP a bit to try and get everything up to date as at the cancellations.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just to whet your appetite for the new stuff though, I have spent a bit of time rummaging through California State law this afternoon and it looks to me like Langdell has rather significantly shot himself in the foot with his latest attempt. But that's for the new thread.
Langdell just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about California State law (I'm an expert), but honesty and facts are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the IGDA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in California, you bring criminal action on yourself, and the only way to get rid of that crime is serving time.

What this means is the California public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Mythora for any system, nor will they purchase any of Edge's many games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Langdell has alienated an entire market with this move.

Langdell, publicly confess and cancel Mythora for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

(With apologies...)

I don't know how much the rest of you know about California State law (I'm an expert), but honesty and facts are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the IGDA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in California, you bring criminal action on yourself, and the only way to get rid of that crime is serving time.

What this means is the California public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Mythora for any system, nor will they purchase any of Edge's many games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Langdell has alienated an entire market with this move.

Langdell, publicly confess and cancel Mythora for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Bravo good sir, Bravo.

Dead Man

Huzzah!

(With apologies...)

Wow, I thought everybody had forgotten the original :)

gabbo

(With apologies...)

Phisheep, the thread reopening, and this. Langdell is the gift that keeps on giving.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I have updated the OP and post #2 to reflect the position immediately following the cancellation of the trademarks, to include two new trademark applications made by Langdell this month which I had missed (yeah, he is still at it) and to fix the broken links to the UK trademark system.

That'll be the last updates in this thread, everything else and all substantive commentary going forward will be in the new one.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well, I said that'll be the last updates in this thread. But allow me a brief word. Langdell filed two more motions today (22nd April), though actually they are slightly modified retreads of his two previous motions one of which was more-or-less a copy of the first.

So that's four motions for the price of one.

You know I teased a bit earlier that Langdell appears to have done himself some serious self-harm? Well, it looks like, probably in response to a post (not mine this time) in this thread, he has changed his approach and made things even worse for himself. But I'm not going to talk about that until the new thread is open, by which time it will be too late for him to effect a rescue.

Instead - party time in 2 hours.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well, I'm armed with a box of fruit pastilles, a swap of whisky and a spare bottle of wine downstairs if I can make it that far,

Meanwhile going to play with the new OP for a while.

hiro4

Well, I'm armed with a box of fruit pastilles, a swap of whisky and a spare bottle of wine downstairs if I can make it that far,

Meanwhile going to play with the new OP for a while.

Welcome back phisheep!
It wouldn't be the same without you.
I'm with you with a fine glass of wine!
Cheers!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hi Hiro, good to see you. And good to have a merely social contact in this thread for a change!

EDIT: Once they get this 3d printing thing sorted out, I'd even offer you a twiglet. Probably taste awful though.

My god, it's almost like he's the Schadenfreude Santa
TM
, delivering endless insanity and enema-squeezin's for the entertainment of Armchair_Lawyer-GAF.
Also TM

Phisheep, I have the feeling that Tim has become the equivalent of luggage in your life; once bought, it's impossible to get rid of.

I raise a toast to the Stability Gods on behalf of phisheep, in the hope that they will bring blessed normalicy in the in the sure-to-be Lunacy-filled days ahead.

*Cheers*

I'm off to get the oven on for some chips and mushrooms and onion rings and chicken burgers and beans and i shall return with some excellent ciders and a starbar for dessert.

A proper party demands proper preparation! :)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Phisheep, I have the feeling that Tim has become the equivalent of luggage in your life; once bought, it's impossible to get rid of.

I raise a toast to the Stability Gods on behalf of phisheep, in the hope that they will bring blessed normalicy in the in the sure-to-be Lunacy-filled days ahead.

*Cheers*

Your very good health Sir. Also, have a twiglet. Hiro didn't want it.

You're right a bit. I dived into the Langdell thing fairly early and never expected it to take quite so much time, not four years for certain - I thought I might be delaying the internet mania for what - 6 months, a year? Four years is a bit long though.

Mind you, as I just posted on Eurogamer ...

For the last four years we've been following a rather linear rollercoaster narrative - the on-rails version, because it has all been constrained by the EA case.

This decision isn't so much a guillotine as a firework explosion - it sets off all manner of possible things in different directions, which is why it is going to be difficult to keep it all in track. We've all of a sudden gone open-world.

But I'm trying to get my head round how that works for the new thread going forward.

It's nice (!) that things are moving fast now rather than at the horribly sluggish pace of the last few years.

Refyref

I'm gonna go grab some cookies to celebrate the occasion. This sure has taken quite a while. May we all be Langdell-free.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm off to get the oven on for some chips and mushrooms and onion rings and chicken burgers and beans and i shall return with some excellent ciders and a starbar for dessert.

A proper party demands proper preparation! :)

It does. But lob me a mushroom when it is done. Keep your onion rings to yourself.

Happy Edge™ Day!

Welcome everyone, and enjoy the party!

Duh. Why did I not think of doing the (TM) thing. I have been owned by jvm. Probably not for the first time either.

theaface

I won't pretend to understand all the finer points and intricacies of this long and protracted saga, but if Phisheep says it's cause for celebration, I believe him and will gladly raise a glass. Cheers!

hiro4

If you still have some left Ill take you on the twiglet offer.
Also to everybody else partying here: cheers it was one hell of a ride. Almost sad to see it end.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So is today the day the marks are officially done for? Or is there some other reason we're celebrating?

It was a few days ago the marks were officially killed off. But as usual that's not the end of the story - Langdell has appealed (four times now), has applied for two more trademarks, has potential big problems with his licensees and has an even bigger problem he has landed himself in over the last few days.

So basically what we are celebrating is the cancellation of (four out of the five) trademarks at issue, and the end of this thread, and getting the celebrating out of the way before the next thead starts.

I won't pretend to understand all the finer points and intricacies of this long and protracted saga, but if Phisheep says it's cause for celebration, I believe him and will gladly raise a glass. Cheers!

Same here. Something about this thread is infectious.

When do we get to understand what's going on? :)

Hi, I'm just going to sit in the corner and watch the party... unless there's free beer somewhere here?

Glad to see that Phisheep wasn't permabanned. I was just tangentially following this thread but I definetly have a lot of memories of facepalms and disbelief.

Anyway, enjoy your party people, I'll be drinking a beer and toasting to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom