• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA v EDGE GAMES, the Aftermath. Thread of the Decline and Fall of Tim Langdell

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Almost sad to see it end.

Have you not been paying attention Hiro? It isn't over yet. This decision is like setting off a firework - there will be flaming bits of stuff all over the place, all heading in different directions, and if you thought this thread was hard to follow the next one will be a nightmare, which is why it is on hold at the moment while I try to work out how to structure it.

This is the beginning of the end. That's all.

hiro4

Have you not been paying attention Hiro? It isn't over yet. This decision is like setting off a firework - there will be flaming bits of stuff all over the place, all heading in different directions, and if you thought this thread was hard to follow the next one will be a nightmare, which is why it is on hold at the moment while I try to work out how to structure it.

Actually I was talking about this thread. But if you are saying the next one will me even more hard to follow I will be having some more wine.

This is like where the game tells you to please insert disc two. Except there's also a chance there's a third disc that you don't have cause the guy at the rental store was lazy and forgot to include it in the box.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think I might call some of my old Future colleagues and find out what this all means to them.

I still remember this from back in the day.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I won't pretend to understand all the finer points and intricacies of this long and protracted saga, but if Phisheep says it's cause for celebration, I believe him and will gladly raise a glass. Cheers!

Cheers Sir! Your very good health and all that.

Same here. Something about this thread is infectious.

When do we get to understand what's going on? :)

Well, that'll be either when you go right back to the beginning of something like the last thread but three, or when I recap at the start of the next thread (though it might take me a while to recap ALL of it).

EDIT: What I'm going to try and do is recap around the current motions in the case so that the background stuff makes sense. Don't know if it will work but I will try. If you don't understand something just ask, I'm a bit blinkered since I've been following it for 4-ish years so it is hard to know where to start from.

Hi, I'm just going to sit in the corner and watch the party... unless there's free beer somewhere here?

Yeah, come and join in. There is plenty of free beer, it is in your fridge.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Actually I was talking about this thread. But if you are saying the next one will me even more hard to follow I will be having some more wine.

Don't worry, next thread will have an index at the top so you can skip to the useful bits. I didn't realise until recently (!) just how hard this one was to follow for people who hadn't been following every day (like the entire universe except me probably). If the index doesn't work, call me out.

I think I might call some of my old Future colleagues and find out what this all means to them.

I still remember this from back in the day.

If you've got some good senior (like really senior) contacts in Future, have them get in touch please, plus, I'm only an hour's train ride away. There are a few bits of the story I would like to clarify. Though I do appreciate that might be bad timing right now.

This is like where the game tells you to please insert disc two. Except there's also a chance there's a third disc that you don't have cause the guy at the rental store was lazy and forgot to include it in the box.

Spot on!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The finest: Mackies Honeycomb! But I always have some Cornish Vanilla in reserve for the purists.

Cornish Vanilla for me please, none of this honeycomb nonsense.

I assume it is proper Cornish and real Vanilla?

EDIT: Though I'll grant you that brown bread and honey ice-cream can be better, but unless you ask nicely not gonna tell you where you can get it!

I do believe that under EU protection, Cornwall produce cannot be advertised as such if not authentic, a la Champagne? Or is that just pasties?

To pose you an on-topic question, did you, like Chaos Edge, ever try to purchase one of Langdell's high-quality software publications such as Mirrors (by Edge)? Surely a more futile attempt at demonstrating continual use of a mark there has never been.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I do believe that under EU protection, Cornwall produce cannot be advertised as such if not authentic, a la Champagne? Or is that just pasties?

I think it is just pasties at present. But there is some awesome shopping-mall-in-the-middle-of-nowhere place about halfway down Cornwall that does awesome breakfasts (not the best, but by far the biggest for the price), and one in Penzance, right at the top of the Quay front and all the way up the stairs where you have to swap a seriously awesome breakfast for being surrounded by a lot of Christian tracts and people wearing ties and looking ecclesiastical. But the breakfast is so good that it wins.

To pose you an on-topic question, did you, like Chaos Edge, ever try to purchase one of Langdell's high-quality software publications such as Mirrors (by Edge)? Surely a more futile attempt at demonstrating continual use of a mark there has never been.

No I didn't. Couldn't see the point.

cilonen

*Raises a glass to phisheep*

Edit: Trago Mills? There's one in Newton Abbot (Devon) on the A38, and one down in Cornwall. They're... unique shopping experiences.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Does Langdell have any money to be sued in civil court, or would he just declare for bankruptcy instantly?

I have no bloody idea. I checked yesterday and none of his companies (that I am aware of, there may be more) have declared insolvency. As to personal money, I have no information.

He can still be sued in civil court even if he has no money though, even if there's no cash they can find liability/surrender of stuff and so on.

I'll be posting a bit more about that in the next week or so. Don't want to get too drug unto it when I am in a party mood.

Party on!

I feel like making a little effigy of Tim. I don't need to burn it, just let it float in my toilet.

So I think I've mentioned this many times of the years of this thread but a few years ago I wrote a paper on Tim for an Ethics class and used for the preceedings as an example. the professor though I may have drifted a bit into the legal side as apposed to to ethical but I still got an A.

Thank you Phi for making this mess interesting and palletable

TheNatural

My Member!
I have no bloody idea. I checked yesterday and none of his companies (that I am aware of, there may be more) have declared insolvency. As to personal money, I have no information.

He can still be sued in civil court even if he has no money though, even if there's no cash they can find liability/surrender of stuff and so on.

I'll be posting a bit more about that in the next week or so. Don't want to get too drug unto it when I am in a party mood.

Well he can just declare Chapter 7 most likely and get practically everything exempt if he loses a judgement. I'm guessing he has little to liquidate.

Chances are if anyone trolled by his litigation attempts to sue for damages, this will be the end result.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Party on!

I feel like making a little effigy of Tim. I don't need to burn it, just let it float in my toilet.

So I think I've mentioned this many times of the years of this thread but a few years ago I wrote a paper on Tim for an Ethics class and used for the preceedings as an example. the professor though I may have drifted a bit into the legal side as apposed to to ethical but I still got an A.

Thank you Phi for making this mess interesting and palletable

Yeah, I remember that Bob. Helluva long time ago.

You want to send me a copy of your paper? Be nice to have another angle on it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well he can just declare Chapter 7 most likely and get practically everything exempt if he loses a judgement. I'm guessing he has little to liquidate.

Chances are if anyone trolled by his litigation attempts to sue for damages, this will be the end result.

You're right. But one of the things I will be covering in the new thread (once we open it up) is the options open to Tim's "licensees" (or ex-licensees) - it's not just about money.

Chapter 7 protects (at least partially) the money, if there is any. What it is does not do do is protect imaginary property rights (just to take an example, Edge Game Inc had a registered trademark for EDGEGAMERS, but the whole of the residual common law rights to that name accrue to Edgegamers and not to Tim Langdell and whatever companies he happens to have set up at the moment).

Happy to play ball on this if I am wrong, after all I am in party mood tonight.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So I hate to be that guy, but...
is the new thread going to take 4yrs to conclude???

I bloody well hope not! Only got into the last one by accident. I guess we're about 2 years off a final closure, and then only if the courts move fast and do the right things.

Otherwise six years.

Not the brightest justice system in the universe, but then it isn't up against the brightest plaintiff either.

A question for phisheep: Can EA/Future/et al. sure Tim as an individual? They may not get any money, but from my understanding, in California (at least) you can't discharge court-order restitution in backruptcy court. I wonder if any of the players in the game would be petty enough to sue him out of spite just to see his wages garnished for the rest of his life, just to keep him on Edge(tm).

I'll be in the parlour whispering the story I heard about an 8bit gentle giant musician at an European trade show of yore, having to be physically held back from walloping a certain Timothy, because he accidentally on purpose 'forgot' to pay him for work he created.

Thanks for the hard work, phisheep. It's been a pleasure keeping up with this thread. If I was god and could grant you a prize - I'd hope making Nintendo/Arika make Endless Ocean 3 - would be a suitable one.

Cheers.

B-Dex

So does this mean that, technically, companies that were "threatened" by Tim, that went ahead and rebranded/named their products, can go after him now for the extra costs they incurred?

frontieruk

Well this is my last measure of that famous bird, so here's the phisheep for following and explaining an idiots demise.

Hip hip!!

kami_sama

I just went to my fridge and took a beer.

Like we say in Spain: "¡Un brindis por la derrota de Langdell!"

Edit: And thanks phisheep, for keeping with the news and putting them on the thread.
Fake edit: And NOW I get the relationship between your name and your avatar!! It's a sheep with a phi on it's forehead!!!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So phisheep, are you planning to keep us all apprised and see just how deep this rabbit hole goes? Or are you taking the blue pill on this one?

I guessed someone was going to ask that one.

Yeah, I plan to follow it to the end. Because what the hell is the point of following it any other way?

There may be a few practical things intervene, life, wife, family, business, bank balances and all that sort of stuff.

But in reality I want to see this through to the end whatever it is. Because it needs ending. Because although Langdell seems skilled at what he does, he is a bully , a psychopath, an enemy of one; who managed to inveigle himself into the US trademark system by sheer pulchritude and bravado and to spin deals with others less self-assured. Who has delayed a court judgment by about three years by finagling.

Do we want our society run by people like that?

NO. Case closed. It is a fight, and I shall not give up.

Not sure what I have to add except jolly well done. It's been entertaining, intriguing and all the rest. Here's to the beginning of the hopefully last book in the series.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm late to the party but I did want to say this rollercoaster ride has been a slow one, but still had all the ups and downs you could ask for. Been fascinating following along, since before I was registered even! Also I brought Party Rings. Enjoy!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fake edit: And NOW I get the relationship between your name and your avatar!! It's a sheep with a phi on it's forehead!!!

Yeah. I like to keep people in suspense, and that was a tough one.

Actually, for anyone still watching. Here's a little puzzle, or at least a contest, or let's call it a competition :

Sometime this month (April 2013) Tim Langdell did something that puts him on a direct collision course with a District Attorney's Office in California.

First person to PM me with the correct answer and the reasoning behind it gets a praiseworthy mention. If you're not on GAF but have my email, go for that instead.

I'll be posting the answer in a few days (in the new thread) , so don't be slow.

Yeah. I like to keep people in suspense, and that was a tough one.

But...but...that wasn't me... T_T

Actually, for anyone still watching. Here's a little puzzle, or at least a contest, or let's call it a competition :

Sometime this month (April 2013) Tim Langdell did something that puts him on a direct collision course with a District Attorney's Office in California.

First person to PM me with the correct answer and the reasoning behind it gets a praiseworthy mention. If you're not on GAF but have my email, go for that instead.

I'll be posting the answer in a few days (in the new thread) , so don't be slow.

Is this something that can be reversed/fixed/smoothed over? If so, you might want to keep it under your hat for the time being. No need to be too helpful, after all; it's enough that you've let Tim know that he might be neck-deep in a cesspool.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm late to the party but I did want to say this rollercoaster ride has been a slow one, but still had all the ups and downs you could ask for. Been fascinating following along, since before I was registered even! Also I brought Party Rings. Enjoy!

Party Rings! Dammit. Did you not save any for me?

Huh. They all gone.

So does this mean that, technically, companies that were "threatened" by Tim, that went ahead and rebranded/named their products, can go after him now for the extra costs they incurred?

Tricky. Probably mostly yes, but I'm working up a post for the new thread on that. Probably "licencees" of Langell will be in the clear but he's already taken some preemptive action against Velocity Micro. It's a tricky area to explore without knowing what the license arrangements are.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Is this something that can be reversed/fixed/smoothed over? If so, you might want to keep it under your hat for the time being. No need to be too helpful, after all; it's enough that you've let Tim know that he might be neck-deep in a cesspool.

I suspect (and certainly Langdell has claimed, under the usual penalties of perjury, beheading etc) (did I mention this was a party thread, this is not to be taken seriously), that at present, just to be quite clear, as at 22:46 UK time 22nd April 2013, Langdell has (probably unwittingly, it is always unwittingly) committed an irrevocable act that puts him on a more-or-less direct collision course with a California DA's office with regard to criminal charges against him.

Or maybe two irrevocable acts.

Whichever. He can sweat until I get around to posting about it. It'll take me around four days at least to get the OPs sorted out let alone the updates.

I suspect (and certainly Langdell has claimed, under the usual penalties of perjury, beheading etc) (did I mention this was a party thread, this is not to be taken seriously), that at present, just to be quite clear, as at 22:46 UK time 22nd April 2013, Langdell has (probably unwittingly, it is always unwittingly) committed an irrevocable act that puts him on a more-or-less direct collision course with a California DA's office with regard to criminal charges against him.

Or maybe two irrevocable acts.

Whichever. He can sweat until I get around to posting about it. It'll take me around four days at least to get the OPs sorted out let alone the updates.

I presume it's a bit more serious than the DA office getting fed up of his constant motions.

Culex

Banned
I have myself some penne vodka and a neat martini waiting right now for me, so I'm ready to party!

I cannot believe it's been this many years. I've been following this thread since it's inception, and truth be told: I NEVER THOUGHT THIS DAY WOULD COME!

Thank you Phisheep!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I presume it's a bit more serious than the DA office getting fed up of his constant motions.

The DA office has nothing to do with constant motions, so it's not that.

It is certainly a bit more serious. A lot more serious. And more-or-less a slam-dunk guilty.

But we can sweat it out. And so can Langdell. Until I tell you what it is. Few days at least, got some walls to paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom