• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

Aselith

Well, reached the end of the trial. I've still got half of the allotted time left to check out the side stuff, but I'm not exactly in a hurry for "Pathfinder, go solve every problem we have". Bioware still seems unable to decide between "go save the world" and "deliver mail for my neighbour" type of content.

And the NPCs...

Those are not bad! What Dreamcast game is it?

Why would they put all their worst writing in the beginning?

Hopefully it is just slow. If it is bad then that can't be justified. I'm banking on it taking long to develop because you are starting out as a new character and not the legendary Sheppard. Then again, I haven't played it and they have, so they know better than I do.

I really think people calling the beginning poorly written are stretching it. It's fine, really.

I agree. Seems like standard video game fare. It's not the greatest, but certainly not the cringeworthy shit-fest we're being led to believe it is. I've enjoyed the few hours I've put in so far and I'll probably get around to it after Zelda, but the technical issues are real. I might finally upgrade my graphics card, drop my consoles (except Nintendo!), and get back into PC gaming. My processor is only an i7 3770 and I planned on grabbing a 1070 or 1080 so I hope I can run it pretty well.

branny

I really think people calling the beginning poorly written are stretching it. It's fine, really.
"I think I really pissed that one off! Maybe because I shot him in the face!"

bDDLfQi.gif

Tacitus_

I mean I've heard from a few people that the story takes a while to find it's groove but it does get better, so there's always that possibility.

It could be. Peebee and the Turian lady gave a great first impression, but I hardly got any time to interact with them. As a bonus, you don't notice their jank too much as they're aliens.

vegohead

ME1 & 2 are two of my favorite games, had MEA on pre order and was pretty jazzed about jumping in after just finishing Horizon Zero Dawn last night.

So boot up the 44 gig EA Access trial today morning and play for 3 hours. Usual fun in character creation, I create nightmare fuel clown faced killer and off we go. Story starts a bit wonky, like some really, really, really basic science facts seem to be ignored (Andromeda is 2m light years away... which means stuff you observe is 2m years old...) but thats fine, exploring a planet is pretty cool and fun. A bit weird that my dad is an N7 and kicks serious ass and I just feel like a red shirt NPC who literally does nothing while everyone else kills stuff.

The writing is wretched. Beyond wretched. Just horrible cliches, cringe dialogue, and inane dopey comments. Every new NPC I meet is more annoying than the last. Combined with terrible voice acting, insanely bad face animations and models, and a real lack of emotion so far in the story and I just don't even want to finish playing out the remaining 6 hours on my trial, let alone buy the game.

Pre order cancelled. I don't know what went wrong with this game but I hope Bioware does a strong post mortem and figure out what this massive gap is between the studio that made classics like KOTOR, Baldurs Gate, and Mass Effect and this game.

welp, that's all I needed to hear. Thank you.

Gonna wait a couple of years like I did with Mass Effect 3 (when I could play the full game ;)

Well, reached the end of the trial. I've still got half of the allotted time left to check out the side stuff, but I'm not exactly in a hurry for "Pathfinder, go solve every problem we have". Bioware still seems unable to decide between "go save the world" and "deliver mail for my neighbour" type of content.

And the NPCs...

If I wanted to spend my trial time on something besides the multiplayer I'd go take a screenshot of one particular red head NPC that was looking horrific. Not the lady with the accent but an NPC that just had one line of dialogue before she magically vanished.

Cetra

Called it. Loved the first three, nothing about Andromeda has seemed exciting to me.

Same here. It's always looked like a Mass Effect game by devs that don't get Mass Effect. It has all the trappings but none of the heart kind of thing from what I've seen. That it's looked that way since the reveal is pretty shocking to me. Like you, I loved Mass Effect 1-3. One of my favorites series of games of all time.

I'm not saying this excuses quality issues but I think something people need to remember going into this is that it is made by the multiplayer Team from Mass Effect 3. It really shows in how good the Combat gameplay and animations are and yet how janky they are in conversations.

These guys don't have any experience doing conversations or facial animation while they have a lot doing combat. Again this doesn't excuse and it doesn't invalidate people's issues but I was not surprised going into it because I saw this happening

Tacitus_

If I wanted to spend my trial time on something besides the multiplayer I'd go take a screenshot of one particular red head NPC that was looking horrific. Not the lady with the accent but an NPC that just had one line of dialogue before she magically vanished.

When you arrive on the "not Citadel"? Yeah, that was bad. I also saw an enemy transport fly away through one of the big alien pylons.

I'm not saying this excuses quality issues but I think something people need to remember going into this is that it is made by the multiplayer Team from Mass Effect 3. It really shows in how good the Combat gameplay and animations are and yet how janky they are in conversations.

These guys don't have any experience doing conversations or facial animation while they have a lot doing combat. Again this doesn't excuse and it doesn't invalidate people's issues but I was not surprised going into it because I saw this happening

True enough. The traversal and combat animations are snappy and look great.

branny

Gotta disagree with you on that one. That was pretty funny. ��
Lol, sure, it's tonally the perfect thing to say when the success of an incredibly important 600-year initiative riding on the ground efforts of the best team of human explorers we have, irreplaceable people who have no doubt been through rigorous physical and mental training for all sorts of worst case scenarios, is being complicated by first contact with a brand new race of intelligent spacefaring beings.

Screw diplomacy or any and all chances of sharing technology and boosting our survival rate in this new galaxy because they killed one practically nameless crew member during what literally might've been an isolated misunderstanding. I'm fired up and gonna kick their faces in!

:(

edit:
I can see where you're coming from. I just see it as a funny quip meant to be fun.
Yeah, haha. Oh well. :p

Tcab96

Lol, sure, it's tonally the perfect thing to say when the success of an incredibly important 600-year initiative riding on the ground efforts of the best team of human explorers we have, irreplaceable people who have no doubt been through rigorous physical and mental training for all sorts of worst case scenarios, is being complicated by first contact with a brand new race of intelligent spacefaring beings.

Screw diplomacy or any and all chances of sharing technology and boosting our survival rate in this new galaxy because they killed one practically nameless crew member during what literally might've been an isolated misunderstanding. I'm fired up and gonna kick their faces in!

:(

I can see where you're coming from. I just see it as a funny quip meant to be fun.

HotHamBoy

BioWare hasn't been a quality pedigree for a very long time.

Personally never like the DA games. Finished Inquisition but it was such drudgery.

Tbh, ME2 is the only really good one.

None of the previews for this game looked good.

Zemm

After playing the trial it's not hard to see where Walker is coming from.

The presentation of the game is downright terrible. It's going to need a good few patches to bring it up to standard. If they even will.

The combat is fun, no faults there.

The game can look beautiful at times (landscapes) and downright ugly as fuck (every scene containing humans with their helmets off).

Also weird is the game can't properly render the afro hairstyle, why even offer it if it's going to flicker and look like buggy shit?

It's a game I'll pick up near the end of the year when some much needed patches have been released.

Septimius

The presentation of the game is downright terrible. It's going to need a good few patches to bring it up to standard. If they even will.

The game can look beautiful at times (landscapes) and downright ugly as fuck (every scene containing humans with their helmets off).

Also weird is the game can't properly render the afro hairstyle, why even offer it if it's going to flicker and look like buggy shit?

It's a game I'll pick up near the end of the year when some much needed patches have been released.

I've been considering this, but I mean, no game really gets this kind of a revamp or rewrite. I don't see how patches are gonna help with animation or VA

Is the pop in consistently bad like this? Look at the simple shrubs just coming into existence a mere several feet away:

source.gif

I have seen a lot of scenes where lighting and textures just pop into view. Pop in is not uncommon in games, but it seems especially bad in this.

Zemm

I'm hoping for patches that'll at least fix the terrible lip synching, the little but high quantity graphical defects such as halos around all the character outlines, horrible faces, the terrible camera angles during conversations that just highlight how bad the faces and lip synching are.

I don't expect them to fix everything but they need to do something to fix the crazy amount of jankiness. The jank is on the same level as something like Risen 2. It's pulling me out of the game constantly because it's so distracting.

Glad most of the impressions have been positive but it's good to hear some of the negatives being pointed out. I'm still gonna play this but after the footage that's been going around here for the last month or so I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic.

So when I saw this yesterday I didn't think anything of it and really just wanted to play the damn trial. Which I now did. Finished the insanely brief main quest and the few side quests. Did all there was to do on the Tempest and Nexus and Eos and I don't really feel anything. It really didn't convince me at all and this preview really sounds concerning especially in regards to side quests.

hqdefault.jpg

And the NPCs...

dsk1210

I have played the first 2 hours and really enjoyed it so far, much prefer it already to the other Mass Effect games.

Lovely looking game as well, not sure where all these shitty looking screenshots are coming from.

thumb

Banned
RPS posted a follow-up article with more initial observations. It's not entirely negative, but man does it turn me off from playing the game.

The problem is certain quotes that feel like unintentionally damning with faint praise:

"I certainly don't think what I've played of MEA is a disaster..."

"...there are only a handful of writing/acting disasters (so far)..."

"...I have struggled to care about anyone"

And others. Most of the praise is for moments of technical brilliance. Everything else is uneven or just okay.

But have a read yourself for a complete breakdown and context:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/16/mass-effect-andromeda-problems/#more-435451

forms

Combat seems to be the good part about this game

The narrative...well, impressions are lukewarm and underwhelming from Giant Bomb, Gamespot, PC Gamer, and RPS. Still haven't encountered people who praise the first 10 hours of the game's narrative. And then you have this nugget of course: https://webmshare.com/Dm0Nz

That looks absolutely horrible - on a level that might actually diminish the joy of the game. Wow. Just awful.

Osahi

I don't think poor writing improves, especially as a lot of developers leave the beginning of the game for last.

However, there is a possibility that the story itself improves. Maybe they rushed the beginning of the game?
Exposition is hard.

NoPiece

RPS posted a follow-up article with more initial observations. It's not entirely negative, but man does it turn me off from playing the game.

The problem is certain quotes that feel like unintentionally damning with faint praise:

"I certainly don't think what I've played of MEA is a disaster..."

"...there are only a handful of writing/acting disasters (so far)..."

"...I have struggled to care about anyone"

And others. Most of the praise is for moments of technical brilliance. Everything else is uneven or just okay.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/16/mass-effect-andromeda-problems/#more-435451

Overall, this article is actually more brutal than Walker's, which could be dismissed as hyperbolic.

This part bums me out because it's what I disliked most about DAI.

8. It continues Dragon Age: Inquisition's singleplayer MMO structure

Whole lotta collecting and crafting, whole lotta random skirmishing as you roam, whole lotta relentlessly scanning arbitrary items on a planet's surface for nebulous research points that you can then spend on making/buying new stuff. It's very game-y here. On the one hand, this gives you far more to do moment to moment, which is handy if you've burned out on quests, but on the other the hamster wheel structure is at odds with the central conceit – finding a new home and keeping an alien threat at bay.

It's different in many ways – particularly because it's a shooter rather than a stabber – but if you didn't get on with DAI's random encounters and loot-fountains, you'll likely have similar issues here. I should say that I personally got on alright with DAI, but that was primarily down to enjoying the characterisation – and this is the area in which MAE has thus far most been lacking.

Exposition is hard.

Totally agree, and none of the ME games have been great at it. Though Bioware showed some aptitude for it in Dragon Age Origins, doing it well not just once, but multiple times.

Lime

but if you didn't get on with DAI's random encounters and loot-fountains, you'll likely have similar issues here. I should say that I personally got on alright with DAI, but that was primarily down to enjoying the characterisation – and this is the area in which MAE has thus far most been lacking.

:/

aravuus

Fuck

Well, at least ME's combat looks much more interesting than DAI's, even though normally it should be the other way around. I'm not much of a SP shooter dude.

inky

Another well backed up write-up that uses more measured language and written by someone not named John Walker, yet it actually sounds more scathing. The more I kept reading, the worse it got.

Hoary old RPG fans are less of a goldmine than are people who like to shoot men/monsters and collect loot, and though there’s all sorts of story and side-questing going on here, at heart it would seem to be continuing the series rapid shift into a weapons-centric game. So intellectual curiosity is either brushed aside or concentrated into between-mission conversations that you can easily skip through if you just want the next task.

Damn. But hey, look at this MP gif guys! That's what you want from Bioware games!

In which Mass Effect intellectual curiosity is not solved with shooting your weapons?
The writer seems to miss that the problem with DAI's MMO structure is not the loot system, nor crafting. It's the massive amount of fetch quest which make you feel more like an errant boy than a hero.

maxiell

I hope a lot of posters in this thread wrote sincere, heartfelt apologies to John Walker and promised to keep an open mind in the future.

Played it for an hour or so. The companion AI is definitely... special. One of them decided that instead of taking cover, he would stand ON the chest high rock formation instead and got himself killed in short order.

Well, good thing they took the power wheel away too that actually made AI squaddies useful, sigh.

Playing through Binary Domain right now makes me appreciate being able to give orders (which particularly in the case of the Charge command has a big impact too), having solid squad AI and squadmates that can efficiently kill at least standard enemies.

g23

European pre-madonna
Well, good thing they took the power wheel away too that actually made AI squaddies useful, sigh.

Playing through Binary Domain right now makes me appreciate being able to give orders (which particularly in the case of the Charge command has a big impact too), having solid squad AI and squadmates that can efficiently kill at least standard enemies.

Hold up.

They took away the power wheel?!

c'mon bioware

I hope a lot of posters in this thread wrote sincere, heartfelt apologies to John Walker and promised to keep an open mind in the future.

I mean, before apologising perhaps we should wait until it's actually released and see what the critical & consumer consensus is? A lot of people playing it on EA Access seem to be enjoying it after the slow first couple of hours.

inky

In which Mass Effect intellectual curiosity is not solved with shooting your weapons?
The writer seems to miss that the problem with DAI's MMO structure is not the loot system, nor crafting. It's the massive amount of fetch quest which make you feel more like an errant boy than a hero.

Did you read the full article or are you just responding to the excerpts we are sharing?

He doesn't say "intellectual curiosity is solved by shooting" instead of some other way. I'm not sure that statement even makes sense. He's making a point about how the characters act and react to their surroundings, how is the mission structure of this new game in a new setting where the main character is tasked with exploring habitable planets and is not a military commander on a quest to end an urgent reaper threat, and why he believes it is designed one way and not another due to market realities. Details you might have picked up on have you read the whole thing. If you did read it, then you probably should again, carefully this time.

RexNovis

Banned
Overall, this article is actually more brutal than Walker's, which could be dismissed as hyperbolic.

This part bums me out because it's what I disliked most about DAI.

Totally agree, and none of the ME games have been great at it. Though Bioware showed some aptitude for it in Dragon Age Origins, doing it well not just once, but multiple times.

Yea see this is what I was most worried about prior to this whole shitstorm so it really really sucks that not only is this the case but it's just the cherry on top of a colossal shit sundae at this point. Ugh.

Top Bottom