• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Ondore

I always stick Paula with three Teddy Bears before she gets kidnapped, and hand them out before fighting Shroom! - and then it goes down with two Fires, two Big Bottle Rockets and two Special Bs.

One thing I do recommend is going through the cave after taking out Shroom and using the Pencil Eraser for the last time outside Brick Road. If you go through and fight everything with the advantage, you'll have enough money to buy out Summers - I had enough left after that to buy the house!

Tiktaalik

Just finished (Fourside Spoilers)
the department store
. Something I'm realizing about the way this game is designed is that the random number generator is way, way more important than in many other JRPGs. Enemies hit harder and so critical hits can be devastating. Grouped enemies can be dramatically more difficult. Certain enemy types and combinations can spell disaster. For all of these reasons depending on luck you can sometimes breeze through an area and sometimes you'll just get unlucky and be smashed to bits by a random encounter. Grinding and keeping your levels up can guard against this, but it's still an issue to watch for. It's why it's so important to learn how to edge forward and not run full steam into situations where the game has randomly spawned an absurd amount of baddies ahead of you.

I recall in the past I've had an issue with the area I just completed, but this time around, due to the luck of the draw, I got extremely low baddie spawns, and really great baddie placement (was able to dodge them) and I breezed through the dungeon.

IrishNinja

hey, sorry for the aside, but...ive got this repro cart of Mother Zero (easy patch i believe, cause the grind/encounter rate seemed high), should i play this after i finish Earthbound again or will there be too much overlap? i never really was clear how different the games were, as opposed to say 2 and 3 (both of which are masterpieces, natch)

Mother is pretty different from Earthbound, and it's not a very hard or long game even without the easy patch. You probably shouldn't have any problems.

IrishNinja

cool, cool - so there's an Itoi game i've yet to play, awesome! i saw what looked like Ness and an Onett-like town in the start and was wondering if this was gonna be like when Kojima basically redoes stuff on later formats, but i'm glad to hear otherwise.

my only sadness is this will be the first of the series i play without an awesome tourguide book, haha

Joqu

hey, sorry for the aside, but...ive got this repro cart of Mother Zero (easy patch i believe, cause the grind/encounter rate seemed high), should i play this after i finish Earthbound again or will there be too much overlap? i never really was clear how different the games were, as opposed to say 2 and 3 (both of which are masterpieces, natch)

cool, cool - so there's an Itoi game i've yet to play, awesome! i saw what looked like Ness and an Onett-like town in the start and was wondering if this was gonna be like when Kojima basically redoes stuff on later formats, but i'm glad to hear otherwise.

my only sadness is this will be the first of the series i play without an awesome tourguide book, haha

Hmm, I'd say it's different enough from EarthBound but I played Zero first, so I'm not sure how it would feel in reverse. I mean, the two do have a lot of similarities.
It isn't as blatant as MG vs MGS from what I remember, but EarthBound very much felt like a "re-imagining" of the first game to me. So more like OoT vs ALttP I guess?

I'm quite fond of EarthBound Zero, you should definitely give it a try either way. I understand why people tend to enjoy it less than the other games, but I think it does some very interesting things if you take its age in consideration. I hope guys enjoy it too!

Davey Cakes

Earthbound made tame some aspects of Mother that were anything but tame.

Belch's Factory is nothing in comparison to Duncan's Factory in Mother.

Well, finally finished it. What a wonderful experience. One of my favorite game worlds and stories.

I'll be sure to pick it up again in another 18 years :)

I can't wait until my Wii U gets here from Target. I want to use the Club Nintendo registration survey to let Nintendo know I bought the console to play EarthBound again! The battery in my old cartridge is like
Buzz Buzz
after the
Starman Jr.
fight.

Peagles

Just had three new t shirts arrive today, so fitting (no pun intended) with me finishing Earthbound!
tumblr_mq2ctzULcl1qggmj0o2_500.gif

tumblr_mnw7rvtU4P1rnxhsko1_500.jpg

runaway5.jpg

And already bought this one when I started playing, hehe

IrishNinja

mannnn...okay i kinda cut some slack on SMBU, Zombi-U etc but this battery dying on me after a few hours of marathoning EB is some ol' bullshit. having to let it charge is so dumb...can i play with the new controller?

also, plot related-ish:

a) i forget, do i ever get the bike back after having party members? man i miss that thing

b) that cool intermission when you sip the coffee...ya'll reckon that's the spirit of buzz-buzz talking there?

holy crap i thought i was ahead of the game on like my 3rd playthrough here but im getting smacked up in this gold rush mines with the five moles, towards the end

Mumford

Just got this game a couple of days ago, & I have to stop playing it for now (moving, sent off my Wii U for a week) and I actually really love it.
It's an odd little game and the 4th wall has been broken many times, and honestly going into it I had no idea what I'd think about it. It's definitely exceeded my expectations so far. :)

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
HELL YEAH!

The day has finally came! Downloading it now.

The best part is it gives so many people who have never experienced EarthBound before a chance to play it. I want to hear from all the newcomers. Don't be shy.

Hey everyone, post what you name your party at the start of a new game!

Rory, Amy, Simon and Fang. With the dog taking my dog's name, Dean.

Peagles

Now go play Mother 3.

I think my heart needs a break. I have it all ready to go though. I think I want to push on through Mother first though too. I'm only at Magicant in that though...

Also I had been playing on my GB Micro but I just brought my Gamecube back from my parents house and borrowed my partner's Gameboy Player from his parents house, so think I'll start using that to play Mother and Mother 3.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think my heart needs a break. I have it all ready to go though. I think I want to push on through Mother first though too. I'm only at Magicant in that though...

Also I had been playing on my GB Micro but I just brought my Gamecube back from my parents house and borrowed my partner's Gameboy Player from his parents house, so think I'll start using that to play Mother and Mother 3.

You need that for Mother 3. Take your time to recuperate and reflect.

Lothar

Banned
The commercials for Mother 3 in Japan feature just a grown woman crying over the game's story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8HhfZW_9D0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BnlFyZcOlo

Yeah, don't expect this to be as cheerful as Earthbound.

Could you ever imagine video game commercials like this in the US? Not the slightest mention of any gameplay, or any action, or any epic FMV sequences. Just a strict focus on the story being emotional. I bet that would blow some people's minds who just see gaming as being for kids and teenagers.

So, in an effort to prevent me throwing my Gamepad into a wall... I have a question. LATE GAME SPOILERS BELOW;

I am in the last section of the game on my way to fight Giygas. Me and my party are now robots (?) and I need to get past a ton of hard enemies to get to Giygas. I'm past being able to go back and get other items Etc and I'm getting my ass kicked. What should I do???

By the way - LOVING the game.

Peagles

So, in an effort to prevent me throwing my Gamepad into a wall... I have a question. LATE GAME SPOILERS BELOW;

I am in the last section of the game on my way to fight Giygas. Me and my party are now robots (?) and I need to get past a ton of hard enemies to get to Giygas. I'm past being able to go back and get other items Etc and I'm getting my ass kicked. What should I do???

It's not too long, just push on through.
You can heal and save at the Phase Distorter too I think? I never did but I think you can.

Grind it out, and try to avoid getting ambushed.

Natetan

You should be able to avoid a lot of those battles by forcing the enemy on and off screnn

Davey Cakes

Yeah, the screen trick works there as effectively as anywhere else, unless enemies spawn in both sides.

I'm pretty sure the Phase Distorter heals and saves, so you could always grind a bit to get your strength up.

Has anyone printed the PDF of the Players' Guide? I went to the local office supply and printing shops, but 1 color copy (135-ish pages) would cost around $80, $60 after a coupon I found in the Sunday ads. A single black and white copy would be just under $20 but I think the guide might lose some visual impact that way. I've considered printing it at home on my color laserjet printer but I haven't done the math for paper and toner cost. I also have the original guide from when I bought the game in 1995 but I'd like to preserve that.

Just finished this game up and I'm starting Mother 3. First impressions story-wise are not good and I'm not sure if it's because of a bad translation job or this is how it was intended to be.

They made it stupidly obvious that Hinawa was going to be dead before you even find the kids, but what put me off even more was the way they revealed it. It was really really anticlimatic and irritating, "Oh see, I have good news and bad news, good news is I found something to make a new powerful weapon, bad news is it was pierced through your wife's heart, would you believe that?". The dialogue didn't make me sad, it just made me angry.

Murrah

Banned
Just finished this game up and I'm starting Mother 3. First impressions story-wise are not good and I'm not sure if it's because of a bad translation job or this is how it was intended to be.

They made it stupidly obvious that Hinawa was going to be dead before you even find the kids, but what put me off even more was the way they revealed it. It was really really anticlimatic and irritating, "Oh see, I have good news and bad news, good news is I found something to make a new powerful weapon, bad news is it was pierced through your wife's heart, would you believe that?". The dialogue didn't make me sad, it just made me angry.

I'm pretty sure both those things you complained about are done on purpose

Why does it have to be a surprise that Hinawa died? It happens in the first hour and a large part of the game's story is about dealing with and getting over grief, not the actual death itself. It's like complaining that it was obvious Carl's wife was gonna die in that montage in the beginning of Up

As for the delivery of her being dead, again, I feel like anger is the way you're supposed to feel. For one, look at Flint's reaction; if someone delivered news that your wife was dead to you in that way wouldn't you be mad? And secondly, I always took it as a way of Itoi getting the point across early that the tone was going to be different than Earthbound. I kinda look at that villager as the player himself getting slapped (or more like hit in the head by a flaming plank) with the realization that this was gonna be a much more somber story, and the usual humor of the series wasn't always gonna fit, so get your expectations in line

My interpretations could be wrong though

Amir0x

Banned

Why does it have to be a surprise that Hinawa died? It happens in the first hour and a large part of the game's story is about dealing with and getting over grief, not the actual death itself. It's like complaining that it was obvious Carl's wife was gonna die in that montage in the beginning of Up

As for the delivery of her being dead, again, I feel like anger is the way you're supposed to feel. For one, look at Flint's reaction; if someone delivered news that your wife was dead to you in that way wouldn't you be mad? And secondly, I always took it as a way of Itoi getting the point across early that the tone was going to be different than Earthbound. I kinda look at that villager as the player himself getting slapped (or more like hit in the head by a flaming plank) with the realization that this was gonna be a much more somber story, and the usual humor of the series wasn't always gonna fit, so get your expectations in line

It's simple black comedy. Mother 3 has tons of it. It was Itoi's way of merging the traditional Mother series tongue-in-cheek humour and the subtle and not-so-subtle shift in tone of the sequel.

Some people just don't like black comedy. I enjoyed Mother 3's darkly funny moments like that. It served to heighten the impact for me.

_woLf

I forgot how fucking hard this game is.

Level 6 and I'm still getting two-shotted by the freaking Sharks boss.

sigh

Peagles

oh man I want those for my Earthbound collection! Where!

Keep an eye on www.theyetee.com, they have new ones every day and sometimes put the older prints in the YeteeMart. Looks like they've only go the Runaway Five one left at the moment though T_T

One of the few games that made me sob. Fucking hell, it's all coming back. Poor Lucas.

Please don't make me leave this thread to avoid Mother 3 spoilers T_T

Keep an eye on www.theyetee.com, they have new ones every day and sometimes put the older prints in the YeteeMart. Looks like they've only go the Runaway Five one left at the moment though T_T

Please don't make me leave this thread to avoid Mother 3 spoilers T_T

It's not really a spoiler. You'll understand when what I mean when you get through the story.

Well I'm getting used to it either way. Game is still great so far.
I'm just starting the 2nd Chapter with Duster.

Well, the dude's reaction is supposed to feel unnatural. The inhabitants of Tazmily up until this point have no idea how to deal with sudden and unexpected death.

Lothar

Banned

That line of dialogue was the absolute best part of the entire game. It's perfect Earthbound humor.

Tiktaalik

Yeah you could have screwed yourself or at least made it really tough. This area can be really tough if you waste reviving items.

Amir0x

Banned
man I'm about to finish my Wii U playthrough. Man, still to this date the experience remains refreshing from all other RPGs. I've played through this game probably over 100 times by this point and it never ceases to amaze me how much of it is still a fresh approach in tone and even in some ways with its gameplay.

God I love this game

Top Bottom