• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Javier

iD7Onn3NRBznQ.jpg

I don't think you can actually do this in the game, but it's not like it ever ocurred to me to try...

Tiktaalik

Haha. Gotta love that non-linearity.

I think in past replays I've always waited to get Poo before doing Sanctuaries 5 and 6. This time I did 5 without him and 6 with him, and then proceeded to destroy the Kraken. Still, that fire-breathing move...you can never be truly prepared for it.

Even after doing both sanctuaries I'm pretty sure it's still a tough fight. The only thing I might change up to see if it gets easier is who I give the flame pendant to. I think in my first fight I had it on Ness, which may be unnecessary. Could be better on one of the weaker characters.

Davey Cakes

Even after doing both sanctuaries I'm pretty sure it's still a tough fight. The only thing I might change up to see if it gets easier is who I give the flame pendant to. I think in my first fight I had it on Ness, which may be unnecessary. Could be better on one of the weaker characters.
Poo is under-leveled in comparison to the others and yet I still give Paula the best defense possible. She's just so darn susceptible to certain enemy attacks.

Midou

Oh yeah, I beat this yestarday for the first time ever. It was a pretty great experience, I can certainly appreciate the hype surrounding the game better now. It has aged wonderfully.

The only thing I didn't like was that I figured everything out throughout the game except the 'way' to fight the last boss. I would have liked a bit more of a proper hint lol, but I'm not too bitter about it.

Some boss fights were intense, but others were kind of funny, when I retry a hard fight and Ness gets a bunch of smash attacks in a row and just ends quickly.

Cody_D165

Banned
The only thing I didn't like was that I figured everything out throughout the game except the 'way' to fight the last boss. I would have liked a bit more of a proper hint lol, but I'm not too bitter about it.

Final Boss Spoilers:
I figured it out but then when I got to the one where Paula's prayer gets absorbed by the darkness or whatever, I thought I was supposed to just kill Giygas after that. I spent like a half hour straight trying to just kill him without finishing the prayers, haha.

I really enjoyed the part where they incorporate your name into the final ones though.

Peagles

For the final boss, well the first time at least,
I just attacked forever and ever. It wasn't until I was just about dead that I thought oh well we're done for, might as well try pray! Of course it was too late but the second time I went to battle I got it done pretty quickly. Pokey does give you a pretty good hint I reckon, but I didn't realise it until after I just tried it by chance. I actually never used pray in the whole game because every time I tried it it'd cause some stupid status changes that would worsen every situation for me. Funny how it becomes useful in the final battle, ha
!

Final Boss Spoilers:
I figured it out but then when I got to the one where Paula's prayer gets absorbed by the darkness or whatever, I thought I was supposed to just kill Giygas after that. I spent like a half hour straight trying to just kill him without finishing the prayers, haha.

I really enjoyed the part where they incorporate your name into the final ones though.

Same! That was what made me
bawl my eyes out actually

Tiktaalik

Ended up steamrolling Kraken once I got to him. Spy found no weaknesses but I tried out Brainshock and really helped out as the Kraken hit himself twice. I don't think I ever tried that technique before.

Calamari41

41 > 38
To anybody having trouble with any boss in the game, from the time you get Jeff until the very last boss: Big Bottle Rockets and Multi Bottle Rockets are game-breakingly powerful. You can take the Kraken down in one turn (two max) if you fire one of these off. Try to avoid using them unless you're desperate, though, as they do take some of the fun and all of the strategy out of the battles. And watch out for shields!

Tiktaalik

To anybody having trouble with any boss in the game, from the time you get Jeff until the very last boss: Big Bottle Rockets and Multi Bottle Rockets are game-breakingly powerful. You can take the Kraken down in one turn (two max) if you fire one of these off. Try to avoid using them unless you're desperate, though, as they do take some of the fun and all of the strategy out of the battles. And watch out for shields!

Yeah Bottle Rockets are OP. Maybe you could patch a fix by making them way more expensive, but in general money is not an issue for 90% of the game anyway.

Everybody needs to read this and follow the wisdom.

You know, I already played through this game in over 30 hours of play time yet I already want to go back and start over. What an absolutely phenomenal experience.

L Thammy

I didn't want to use bottle rockets this time, so I just had Ness and Paula spam offensive PSI while Poo mirrored Kraken. Killed it quickly.

playing through for the first time.. just past the town with the blue colors.. now i've got paula and heading to the town south with the ghost blocks in the tunnel.. got to figure out how to get past there now :)

Lovin it so far!

JC Lately

So I just wrapped up Saturn Valley, and I have a question.

When does this game start making sense?

I know the whole 'go to town, town has problem, you solve problem, go to next town, repeat' process has been a thing in JRPG's since forever but their usually some kind of unifying thread linking the seemingly unrelated town anecdotes. Everything in this game just seems so random that I'm having a hard time figuring exactly what is actaully important and what is just the game being funny (and it is occasionally funny). I keep telling myself hold on, this will all fit together soon, clearly this is all building to something, you arent even halfway through the game yet (I assume)

And then I make to Saturn Valley which is populated entirely by freaky little Mr. Saturn beings, and I'm like what the hell are these things? How does this fit in with cops that wail on 13 y/o, or cults obsessed with the color blue who kidnap little girls for no discernible reason, zombie invasions, or that greater threat that was mentioned once by a talking time-traveling bug 25 levels ago and I had actually forgotten about until mentioned again by Belch before i beat him to death with baseball bat while he was distracted chowing down on Fly Honey. WHAT THE HELL IS FLY HONEY?

Fortunately the game is actually fun to play, now that I'm getting more PSI powers and tools for Jeff. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait for the story to get the point already. Or at least hint towards what the point is.

Davey Cakes

I don't know. Maybe it's meta.

Perhaps Ness and co. are just as confused as you are. They're following where the road takes them, but they haven't exactly fit the pieces of the puzzle together yet.

I haven't been in this thread before because I was afraid of spoilers but I just finished the game so it's safe now. ;-)

I absolutely adored the game. It's funny, emotional and has neat features I wish were still used (such as the rolling hit counter). Near the end I was a little tired of all the battles, but I rushed to the boss in the final cave and all was good.

Great way of making the final boss battle stand out from the crow by the way. Another example of the special moments in this game.

Credits:
Oh, and let's not forget the game thanking me personally for playing! I really liked that! :D

L Thammy

So I just wrapped up Saturn Valley, and I have a question.

When does this game start making sense?

I know the whole 'go to town, town has problem, you solve problem, go to next town, repeat' process has been a thing in JRPG's since forever but their usually some kind of unifying thread linking the seemingly unrelated town anecdotes. Everything in this game just seems so random that I'm having a hard time figuring exactly what is actaully important and what is just the game being funny (and it is occasionally funny). I keep telling myself hold on, this will all fit together soon, clearly this is all building to something, you arent even halfway through the game yet (I assume)

And then I make to Saturn Valley which is populated entirely by freaky little Mr. Saturn beings, and I'm like what the hell are these things? How does this fit in with cops that wail on 13 y/o, or cults obsessed with the color blue who kidnap little girls for no discernible reason, zombie invasions, or that greater threat that was mentioned once by a talking time-traveling bug 25 levels ago and I had actually forgotten about until mentioned again by Belch before i beat him to death with baseball bat while he was distracted chowing down on Fly Honey. WHAT THE HELL IS FLY HONEY?

Fortunately the game is actually fun to play, now that I'm getting more PSI powers and tools for Jeff. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait for the story to get the point already. Or at least hint towards what the point is.

Onett is a bit random, I suppose. The gang and the roadblock-happy police don't have much to do with anything else. If Gigyas has any subtle influence, it's to prevent Ness from reaching the Eight Sanctuaries to prepare for the battle with Gigyas.

Did you check with Lier X. Agerate in Onett? He uncovered a golden statue that you later found in Happy Happy Village. It was Pokey that brought it there. It was that statue that caused the people in the village to hallucinate; the statue is one of the agents Gigyas acts through and Pokey has allied with Gigyas. Kidnapping Paula is the point of it. Gigyas knows of the Chosen Four and is deliberately acting to undermine them.

Saturn Valley has no explanation. You can try to guess it yourself, I suppose, but it's up to you. They don't really have to fit into the plot right now; like any of the random people you walk into in town, they just happen to live there. However, some have been negatively affected by Gigyas via Belch's kidnappings: Belch is one of Gigyas' agents.

Again, the zombie invasion is meant to interfere with the Chosen Four's progress. That's also why you fight violent animals and humans. They're under the effect of Gigyas' immense power.

JC Lately

"Bees make bee honey, and flies make fly honey."

What, the game's explanation wasn't satisfactory? :p

0uni.png

Onett is a bit random, I suppose. The gang and the roadblock-happy police don't have much to do with anything else. If Gigyas has any subtle influence, it's to prevent Ness from reaching the Eight Sanctuaries to prepare for the battle with Gigyas.

Did you check with Lier X. Agerate in Onett? He uncovered a golden statue that you later found in Happy Happy Village. It was Pokey that brought it there. It was that statue that caused the people in the village to hallucinate; the statue is one of the agents Gigyas acts through and Pokey has allied with Gigyas. Kidnapping Paula is the point of it. Gigyas knows of the Chosen Four and is deliberately acting to undermine them.

Saturn Valley has no explanation. You can try to guess it yourself, I suppose, but it's up to you. They don't really have to fit into the plot right now; like any of the random people you walk into in town, they just happen to live there. However, some have been negatively affected by Gigyas via Belch's kidnappings: Belch is one of Gigyas' agents.

Again, the zombie invasion is meant to interfere with the Chosen Four's progress. That's also why you fight violent animals and humans. They're under the effect of Gigyas' immense power.

I guess all that tracks. The Mr. Saturn(s) still bug me though.

Ultratech

"Bees make bee honey, and flies make fly honey."

What, the game's explanation wasn't satisfactory? :p

Pretty much.

“Fly Honey” is honey gathered by flies. When bees gather it, it’s “bee honey”. When flies gather it, it’s “fly honey”.

Just accept it. :D

Davey Cakes

I may not be remembering 100% here, but I'm pretty sure I never obtained the Sword of Kings before.

Did it last night. On an insta-win with one of the solo Starman Supers. Felt good, but took a while, and really jacked up my characters' levels.

It was interesting because at that point I didn't have much PP yet and I didn't have a lot of healing items, so I was riding it out with some PSI Caramels in the inventory, just in case. But, in the end the Starman Super grinding didn't really take away too many of my resources and the battles were rather routine and easy each time. It was just a matter of when the random number generator would work in my favor.

KefkaTiMe

Neo Member
I may not be remembering 100% here, but I'm pretty sure I never obtained the Sword of Kings before.

Did it last night. On an insta-win with one of the solo Starman Supers. Felt good, but took a while, and really jacked up my characters' levels.

It was interesting because at that point I didn't have much PP yet and I didn't have a lot of healing items, so I was riding it out with some PSI Caramels in the inventory, just in case. But, in the end the Starman Super grinding didn't really take away too many of my resources and the battles were rather routine and easy each time. It was just a matter of when the random number generator would work in my favor.

The Sad thing about the Sword of Kings farming is that by the time it drops, your party is so super leveled that the item is irrelevant in a sense.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, it just gives Poo a boost of 20 offense or something. Never required, especially since Poo is a heavy PSI user at that point.

The Sword of Kings is more for completion's sake than anything else.

rawktapus

I tried to play through the game on Wii U by uploading an image up to miiverse for every memorable part of the game, but I realised if I didn't stop I would never finish. I was doing a drawing, like, every 10 minutes lol. Here's a few of 'em!

zlCfzREvD6kFQN8I8U

zlCfzRD1JrsQYuLLK5

zlCfzREus8kyMTSufl

Himself

I just finished the
Stonehenge dungeon
and I can't figure out how to
get back to Onett.
There doesn't seem to be a big enough area to
teleport
and
Nessie isn't there to give me a ride.
Help?

Davey Cakes

I just finished the
Stonehenge dungeon
get back to Onett.
teleport
and
Help?
There's definitely enough space to do Teleport Beta with Poo.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I just finished the
Stonehenge dungeon
get back to Onett.
teleport
and
Help?

There should just be enough room if you start from the bottom left of the lab for teleport a. :)

Peagles

Thanks and thanks. Gonna go try these out, though I don't remember getting Teleport Beta. Maybe I did and didn't pay it any mind.

You can also
walk around whilst using Teleport Alpha. If you're quick with the d-pad you can get into a tight circle and teleport in most places.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, with the right amount of skill, you can get out of most places with Teleport Alpha.

Doesn't Poo learn Beta before leaving Dalaam?

Himself

You can also
walk around whilst using Teleport Alpha. If you're quick with the d-pad you can get into a tight circle and teleport in most places.

Crazy! I had no idea.

And, yeah, it ended up that I knew Teleport Alpha and just didn't know.

This game is so, so damn good. It's probably made the biggest impression on me as far as JRPGs go since I played FF7 for the first time. Truly a timeless classic. I can only imagine how glorious this would be playing when I was 12 or whatever and owned a SNES.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I should to play this series, going to do it one day. :(
should I skip Mother 1 and start directly with EarthBound?

Most people did. They don't share a story, and Mother 1 is a rather primitive game by comparison. I'd say you'll need the enthusiasm from Earthbound to have the motivation to play Mother 1 later on.

oatmeal

Banned
I turned it on yesterday for the first time in forever.

Still stuck at the fucking pencil.

Someone here, weeks ago, told me I was to expect a phone call. Hasn't happened...so what do I need here?

Someone here, weeks ago, told me I was to expect a phone call. Hasn't happened...so what do I need here?

Haven't played in a while, but I get stuck here every play through as well! The call took a while for me last time.

Have you invested your money with either Apple or Orange? Whichever one is the nerdier one is the one you must invest in. The other one just takes your money

As far as I know, it should be smooth sailing from there. Just walk around for 5 or 10 minutes

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Go to Twoson, find Apple Kid, give him a food item and $200, and get the Receiver Phone from the mouse living with him. Then go back to Peaceful Rest Valley and check the pencil statue again, then leave. As you're leaving, you should get a call from Apple Kid.

oatmeal

Banned
Go to Twoson, find Apple Kid, give him a food item and $200, and get the Receiver Phone from the mouse living with him. Then go back to Peaceful Rest Valley and check the pencil statue again, then leave. As you're leaving, you should get a call from Apple Kid.

I have definitely invested in it and received the receiver phone. I'm not sure about the food item, though...

Does the phone do anything, is it a forced pick up?

Hiccup

Banned
I'm on my very first play through of this game. I love the charm and the auto battle is simply genius; I wish all RPGs had this.

I'm level 70 now and I just landed in Scaraba.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I have definitely invested in it and received the receiver phone. I'm not sure about the food item, though...

Does the phone do anything, is it a forced pick up?
You can't get the Receiver Phone without giving him a food item, so if you already have it, then you must have already given him one.

Hmm, not sure then. Are you sure you actually picked up the Receiver Phone? The mouse won't give it to you if your inventory is full, so make sure it's actually in your inventory, and if not, go and get it.

If you do already have it, then try going back to the pencil statue, pressing L in front of it to check it, then going back to Twoson and walking around for a bit.

oatmeal

Banned
You can't get the Receiver Phone without giving him a food item, so if you already have it, then you must have already given him one.

Hmm, not sure then. Are you sure you actually picked up the Receiver Phone? The mouse won't give it to you if your inventory is full, so make sure it's actually in your inventory, and if not, go and get it.

If you do already have it, then try going back to the pencil statue, pressing L in front of it to check it, then going back to Twoson and walking around for a bit.

Yeah 100% got it from the mouse.
When he calls is it a cutscene?

Top Bottom