• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's John Riccitiello: "Bullfrog, Origin, and Westwood? My bad!"

_Xenon_

Banned
Doh, it seems they are trying to be a bit human now.

So what's our next target ? Activison-Blizzard I guess ?

stephendedalus said:
oa3u68.jpg

:lol

Oh man, the memories.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Target Acquired:

Bullfrog, Origin and Westwood defence forces ATTACK!

Seriously though, EA back then were the worst company in the eyes of gamers ever, they just bought so many awesome studios then fucked them up, badly, they were on the verge of doing the same to Criterion, but thankfully the appear to be expanding the one office they still have left post acquisition, lessons learned?

I'll never forgive them.

Bullfrog, Origin and Westwood are easily in my Top10 of great devs.

This damage control is just a way for EA to calm those claiming Bioware/Pandemic will go the same way. Perhaps EA is claiming to be the 'good guy' now when Blizz-Acti is bigger? Something tells me they're not going to.

ram

to late!

ea destroyed some of the most talented studios out there. hopefully crusader, bioforge, ultima, magic carpet, lands of lore, wing commander.. will haunt his sleep forever!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In addition to his admitting that EA games are boring, that annual sports titles are stale, etc. you have to be surprised by his honesty and lack of spin. Now let's just hope it translates into more good games, as the output from EA recently has been promising but of mixed quality.

AstroLad said:
In addition to his admitting that EA games are boring, that annual sports titles are stale, etc. you have to be surprised by his honesty and lack of spin. Now let's just hope it translates into more good games, as the output from EA recently has been promising but of mixed quality.
Can't rebuild Rome in a day. I was skeptical when Garnett was praising him but I can totally see this dude has the smarts to run EA.

szaromir

Banned
Read the article people! Riccitiello is the right man at the right place with his management philosophy.

Still, I miss Bullfrog and Westwood :(((((((

tanod

when is my burrito
Using quotes that were never said in thread titles - does anybody see a problem with this?

pulga

Banned
I guess EA is good now... are we supposed to like them? I think it's ok if we do..

Darn, I feel so dirty.

Gattsu25

Banned
They're basically asking for forgiveness

EA puts out good games, especially recently. I have no boycott against them...but these old wounds are slow to heal.

Doc Evils

So this is the bastard we should go after for killing of Dungeon Keeper and never finding out what happens when Horny reaches the surface?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Gattsu25 said:
They're basically asking for forgiveness

EA puts out good games, especially recently. I have no boycott against them...but these old wounds are slow to heal.

I'm definitely in this camp as well. These guys royally f'd up and definitely burned their bridges, then they rebuilt the bridges just to burn them again out of spite... however, they've had a great year, made some great games and are definitely trying to listen to their audiences.

I have no boycott or ill will towards EA. But lets see if Riccitiello is serious. Relaunch some of these studios internally, bring back some of these series that people love... start with Ultima.

And not a rehash or UO or WoWUO.

Chemo

I guess I can forgive these guys, but they are going to have to show me some fucking Mutant League Football if they want it to happen.

Draft

EA's output has been so much better than average lately, it's not suprising they've got some shake ups going on at the corporate level.

Riccitiello ran Bioware/Pandemic before going to EA, where under his leadership they've been making far better games and really taking their time on bigger titles. I think its awesome that he's committed to keeping acquired studios alive so that Bioware can continue to be as great as usual.

Big-E

If the rumors of the new Wing Commander are true then he will be partially forgiven. If it plays nothing like the originals, then his head will be back on the chopping block.

Mamesj

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Is he trying to calm people who think that now that EA owns Bioware Bioware is doomed?

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"We make a lot of money, but we're not sure why. Now that we have real competition, we might have to figure it out if we want to remain #1... Maybe we can buy Valve and find out!"

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I really like what Riccitello has been trying to do with EA every since he has taken over. More luck to him, since I imagine most changes will be extremely difficult due to established bureaucracy.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
I really like what Riccitello has been trying to do with EA every since he has taken over. More luck to him, since I imagine most changes will be extremely difficult due to established bureaucracy.

Agreed. The crap they did with those great PC developers in the past sucked, and just saying "i'm sorry" isn't going to wash that away, but This generation as a whole i've been impressed at EA. They're created a bunch of new IPs, they actually seem to try with the Wii, and they've been doing more partnerships where they publish and get the hell out of the way.

Its Activision that has become the new "EA". Sequel whoring to the max, the crap with the Guitar usage in other games, etc.

Riccitiello said:
"The command and conquer model, the command and direct model doesn't work," said Riccitiello. He went on to concede that EA's past post-acquisition tactics backfired badly. Bullfrog, Origin, Westwood--all no longer exist today because something broke. ... and I'll simply state that EA blew it, and to a certain degree, since I was involved, I blew it."

You know, things break.

And yet...they just closed EA Chicago. That studio had a ton of innovative potential, and Kudo was a pretty visionary designer, and now hes at MS.

Anyone can declare mistakes noblely, but only the wise learn from them.

Narag

Mojovonio said:
All I remember is hacking Ultima to make my guy fuck a goat.

I was scrolling by skimming this and thought you said "to make my guy fucking great."

.... then I scrolled back up to reply and saw the real thing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Mamesj said:
the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results.

covers most posts on GAF, guess we're all insane. :D

teiresias

Ultima can't be brought back anyway - though I'd love it. The moronic videogame news outlets nowadays would probably see it as nothing more than an Oblivion rip-off anyway.

Top Bottom