• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's John Riccitiello: "Bullfrog, Origin, and Westwood? My bad!"

El_Victor

Oh Ultima... :(

rclQgvWPq.jpg

Never forget.

Maybe some of you should read up on the guy, his speech, and his history with EA a little before all the dumb "so this is the guy I get to blame for X?!?!" comments?

He was the COO at EA in his previous stint there, not the CEO. He wouldn't have been in any way "the" guy responsible for any of the problems with Origin/Bullfrog/Westwood -- just one of the whole mess of suits at EA who between them had no concept of talent retention or studio management. The whole point of his D.I.C.E. speech is that the rape-and-pillage model was shitty and that letting studios make games without interference is the only good way to reduce risk on today's expensive development (and he's been talking about this in interviews constantly since he was rehired at EA a year ago), so being all like "get him" is... pretty goofy.

Salazar

Victrix said:
EA needs to stop making solid games and saying sane things, it's seriously fucking with my world view

I read an IGN Fifa Street developer blog this morning. If you medically need to feel contempt for EA, you could look it up.

YYZ

EA has done well lately imo. I don't think of the company any differently but their games have been good for 2007 at least.

Victrix

*beard*
Salazar said:
I read an IGN Fifa Street developer blog this morning. If you medically need to feel contempt for EA, you could look it up.

I don't play/follow sports games, so anything they do that doesn't say 'SSX' on it doesn't really register with me.

antiloop

YYZ said:
EA has done well lately imo. I don't think of the company any differently but their games have been good for 2007 at least.

Yes, but I can still never forgive them for what they have done. ;(

Westwood and Bullfrog especially.

Deku

Banned
All those acquisitions are not recent. It's a lot easier to admit fault when the strategy has already run its course.

I don't think anything has fundamentally changed and though it is nice to see EA say it was a mistake to purchase these developers, it would be a lot nicer for EA to actually not have done the deed in the first place and frankly what's so different about their purchase of Bioware.

Will we hear a terse admission of mistake and 'something breaking' in 5 years time when they close down EA Alberta?

Brashnir

Deku said:
All those acquisitions are not recent. It's a lot easier to admit fault when the strategy has already run its course.

I don't think anything has fundamentally changed and though it is nice to see EA say it was a mistake to purchase these developers, it would be a lot nicer for EA to actually not have done the deed in the first place and frankly what's so different about their purchase of Bioware.

Will we hear a terse admission of mistake and 'something breaking' in 5 years time when they close down EA Alberta?

I don't think he's even saying it was a mistake to buy those companies, but that they made poor decisions with them once they were bought.

Top Bottom