• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies 2016 GOTY Picks

RiverKwai

Yeah, boiling down preferences is dangerous.
Except for Huber. He literally loves anything with a shotgun or melee axe. And he loves the Giants.

Axass

But you'll miss Colin saying people and critics who enjoyed TLG and FFXV must be mentally compensating for their shortcomings because they want them to be better than they actually are!!

I only have a cursory knowledge of Kinda Funny, I've seen them at the ScrewAttack celebration thing (loved it), at the FFXV event (loved them), but I just realized Colin wasn't there and I honestly don't like his attitude, the guy seems really arrogant. I also didn't like how they handled the Jaffe/Bosman/Shu thing at PSX.

Greg is kinda hit or miss, funny but full of himself.

I love Tim though, dude's really cool.

Absolutely -- it reads like an ad. Inappropriate IMO.

I honestly don't watch too much video game coverage/people talking about games, but I really enjoyed watching these guys. The atmosphere is so casual, friendly, and welcoming. Also, I'm a whore and have always found Huber and Bosman to be incredibly cute, so that helps.

:(.

I honestly don't watch too much video game coverage/people talking about games, but I really enjoyed watching these guys. The atmosphere is so casual, friendly, and welcoming. Also, I'm a whore and have always found Huber and Bosman to be incredibly cute, so that helps.

:(.

A lot of positivity. I've really come around on them. Though, I'm very much looking forward to the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts too.

Wensih

Kind of hate their blanket descriptions for some of their nominations in the video. INSIDE, you know it's art because you'll be questioning what it was even about by the time you're finished. The Witness, it's trying to tell you something.... the fuck if I know what it's trying to say.

This is true but it's also why I would much rather see Colin or Greg talk with them if there were some kind of crossover episode, would be much more interesting.

Yeah that would be something I'd watch. I do actually like Colin and Gregg but they seem to be so negative lately, its not exactly fun to watch. I don't expect them to like everything, as there are many issues in the gaming industry that should be talked about but a little more positivity wouldn't hurt.

With so much negative crap on the net already, I would rather watch more positive and fun stuff like the EZA guys.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really needed this win for TLG after that abysmal, laughable "review" that Kinda Funny put out (and I like those guys).

Unbelievable that it won. Love these guys.

I am not sure there is a group of individuals that cover games I find worse than the KF team. Well that's unfair I suppose as the few times I have tuned in, only Greg and Colin were talking, but man it didn't take long for me to tune out for good from those two alone. Cant speak for the rest of the team tho.

That said I am not so big on EZA as GAF is either, but the passion and dedication these guys have for the hobby is clearly more genuine than what KF delivers. (Though I cringe at the reaction and hype focus they have been riding for a bit now...)

Still,Ben Moore is probably the person closest in this industry that mirrors my own tastes and views on games. Always perk up for his voice and reviews.

sh1fty

Great job EZA! Last Guardian is an interesting choice and definitely makes me want to try it.

Love the jolly and cozy vibes that EZA has.. it has easily become my main source of entertainment when it comes to podcasts, reviews, etc. Each ally has unique gaming tastes and a personality.

GiantBomb has unrivaled industry knowledge but I find their podcasts focus a lot on super old stuff or genres I'm not interested. I still love it and listen weekly and am really excited for the GOTY deliberation episodes.

Huh? I didn't mention any spoilers? I thought I was pretty general and the only specific thing I said was petting Trico?

I couldn't remember any spoilers either. That's the worst thing about when people cry spoilers, half the time you have no idea what they're even referring to.

wapplew

Huh? I didn't mention any spoilers? I thought I was pretty general and the only specific thing I said was petting Trico for 20-30 mins at the start of the game?

Ya, don't feel any spoiler in your part. Perfect description of Trico behavior tho, love cat.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Huh? I didn't mention any spoilers? I thought I was pretty general and the only specific thing I said was petting Trico for 20-30 mins at the start of the game?
You spoiled one quarter of the face buttons. What's next? X means down? Monster.

Axass

Yeah that would be something I'd watch. I do actually like Colin and Gregg but they seem to be so negative lately, its not exactly fun to watch. I don't expect them to like everything, as there are many issues in the gaming industry that should be talked about but a little more positivity wouldn't hurt.

With so much negative crap on the net already, I would rather watch more positive and fun stuff like the EZA guys.

Great thing about EZA is that they aren't jolly and positive for the sake of it: they are genuine. If there's something they don't like, they won't mince words about it.

Kyle and Ian are especially harsh on some games and/or industry practices, but they always give good reasons for what they say. Jones and Damiani can also be pretty picky about games.

BTW, love EZA: in 2017 hope you guys evolve, but never change!

L&R

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I did not expect TLG to win any kind of GOTY award, lol. That's nice to see tho.

Axass

As far as taste in games go.

Blood> Ben > Ian > Jones > everyone else

The Witness was robbed

3921168_orig.jpg

Internet high-five.

Hasney

Because they are selling the same games over and over with little to none real upgrades.

Call of Duty just had the beat campaign in years
Titanfall 2 hasn't had an entry in a few years and has an amazing campaign and multiplayer
Overwatch can only really be compared to Team Fortress 2, a game released almost a decade ago.

By that logic, Persona 5 shouldn't win any GOTY because it's mechanically similar to Persona 4 and the next Mario is just "jumping on shit again", so shouldn't win anything either.

2SeeKU

The game has a ton of 10's, its going to get lots of GOTY awards.

I wonder how much of it is over hyped however. That or having *just* played it maybe? I haven't played ICO e.c.t so TLG didn't click with me as much as it has with other people. Certainly not GOTY for me though.

Hasney

I wonder how much of it is over hyped however. That or having *just* played it maybe? I haven't played ICO e.c.t so TLG didn't click with me as much as it has with other people. Certainly not GOTY for me though.

I don't see it. It's an amazing journey and there is nothing else quite like it. It was the first game that Bloodworth ever gave a maximum score to so even in isolation, it was going to be high up in the conversation for EZA regardless of when it came out.

joshcam19

But you'll miss Colin saying people and critics who enjoyed TLG and FFXV must be mentally compensating for their shortcomings because they want them to be better than they actually are!!
I found that so offensive. People can't just have opinions different than Colin they must be trying to over compensate, because Colin's views are the only relevant ones, even though he's in the minority all the time.

After listening/watching a decent amount of KindaFunny I'm willing to believe he said this. Yikes.

This is even more hilarious since in all of the recent podcasts they've done he said he's only played 2 hours of FFXV. I forget if he's touched TLG yet.

I found that so offensive. People can't just have opinions different than Colin they must be trying to over compensate, because Colin's views are the only relevant ones, even though he's in the minority all the time.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to think you're own "opinion" is the only real opinion and the others are attention whores.

Anyway. After having EZA, who the fuck needs Kinda Funny.

Predicting Easy Allies top 3 every year is pretty easy because they like single player games and Japanese games. TLG and FFXV are locks. Uncharted is the biggest single player game of the year so that's a lock too.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to think you're own "opinion" is the only real opinion and the others are attention whores.

Anyway. After having EZA, who the fuck needs Kinda Funny.

I'd really rather not have this thread get derailed into an us vs them kind of battle. Thanks.

Honestly don't know how anyone can stand Colin, let alone spend their own money to keep him out of the poor house. Dude's Twitter avatar alone outs him as the biggest tool in games media.

On the topic at hand I have to say the GOTY video was fantastic. Super professional video that really cemented the big games of 2016. I look forward to the eventual future where they get a studio again.

brb

Ooh thank goodness! I thought I was spoiled too because I misheard and thought you said petting Trico at the END of the game.

I know it sounds petty and not much but it implies they both live at the end.

Servbot24

Banned
Honestly don't know how anyone can stand Colin, let alone spend their own money to keep him out of the poor house. Dude's Twitter avatar alone outs him as the biggest tool in games media.

I disagree with most of what he says, I still like him. In some cases he says some offensive shit too, like telling me I only like The Last Guardian because I'm feeble minded or whatever. I don't watch these types of shows for the satisfaction of knowing someone out there agrees with me.

I disagree with most of what he says, I still like him. In some cases he says some offensive shit too, like telling me I only like The Last Guardian because I'm feeble minded or whatever. I don't watch these types of shows for the satisfaction of knowing someone out there agrees with me.
I don't know what kind of stuff he says about video games, he's just a terrible human.

joshcam19

I'd really rather not have this thread get derailed into an us vs them kind of battle. Thanks.
You're right. Let's talk about the topic at hand.

I loved the pick. I think U4 is my GOTY but TLG is right up there and I'm glad it won an award from a channel that I care about. It has been a long wait but it delivered a unique experience that I'll never forget.

Qwark

Digimon was robbed!

I've only watched the short version of their Goty, not the full 3 hour long one. I started and noped out when I saw the length and that the first half was just them bs'ing around. Maybe I'll throw it on later when I need background noise.

Great job EZA. FPS should not even be a contender for a game of the year.

Are you saying a first person shooter shouldn't be eligible for GoTY? Or is there a game that abreviates as FPS that I'm blanking on right now?

Predicting Easy Allies top 3 every year is pretty easy because they like single player games and Japanese games. TLG and FFXV are locks. Uncharted is the biggest single player game of the year so that's a lock too.

Yeah, it was so predictable that TLG, FFXV and Uncharted 4 would all turn out to be great games. /s

It's easy to say things were predictable in hindsight. I watch them every week and I thought it was going to come down to Uncharted 4 vs Overwatch. I was sure TLG would be a victim of its release date.

I don't see it. It's an amazing journey and there is nothing else quite like it. It was the first game that Bloodworth ever gave a maximum score to so even in isolation, it was going to be high up in the conversation for EZA regardless of when it came out.

I just now realized the full significance of the perfect score for TLG. After all the joking about how Blood would be the one to veto one of the other allies' five-star scores, he ends up giving out the first EZA perfect score. True poetic justice. I wonder what sound the other allies made when they heard he was giving it 5 stars... lol

God I need a PS4 asap.

I just now realized the full significance of the perfect score for TLG. After all the joking about how Blood would be the one to veto one of the other allies' five-star scores, he ends up giving out the first EZA perfect score. True poetic justice. I wonder what sound the other allies made when they heard he was giving it 5 stars... lol

God I need a PS4 asap.
Actually it's the second. Huber have Uncharted 4 five stars. But it is the first perfect score Blood has handed out since F-zero GX

God I need a PS4 asap.

Nope, Huber gave Uncharted 4 EZA's first perfect* score :p

*Not perfect, just masterful.

Top Bottom