• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies 2016 GOTY Picks

I can't shake the feeling that Brandon prefers cinematic AAA titles. (And aside from that, sandbox/construction games)
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm curious

He has specific tastes. Hes a voice actor and went to actors school and is married to an actress, theres a certain way he likes things shot and recorded and written.

In alot of ways hes the most picky of the allies, but hes also a sucker for disney and alot of kids aged stuff like infinity.

antitrop

I can't shake the feeling that Brandon prefers cinematic AAA titles. (And aside from that, sandbox/construction games)
He's a huge Grand Theft Auto fan, so cinematic AAA sandboxes are definitely his bag.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
He has specific tastes. Hes a voice actor and went to actors school and is married to an actress, theres a certain way he likes things shot and recorded and written.

In alot of ways hes the most picky of the allies, but hes also a sucker for disney and alot of kids aged stuff like infinity.
Also the kids aged stuff like Pokemon, Bloodborne & Nioh.

I really wish we didn't have to get in the endless KFG-GB-EZA comparisons any time these threads came up.

I mean that's how this stuff works. People do the same thing with Giant Bomb and the comparisons happen with EZA in their threads.

It's no different than when people compare games in different threads. These groups are providing a similar format of media consumption, they are going to be compared.

I really wish we didn't have to get in the endless KFG-GB-EZA comparisons any time these threads came up.
They're all personality driven 'journalists' so it kind of makes sense, I actually like reading stories on how people found content or moved from one to the other.

The problem is shitting on fans of different styles.

Sulik2

This cements why I don't like Easy Allies. My gaming tastes are just radically different then theirs and a best preorder bonus category? Really? They are celebrating one of the worst parts of gaming at the moment.

sora87

This cements why I don't like Easy Allies. My gaming tastes are just radically different then theirs and a best preorder bonus category? Really? They are celebrating one of the worst parts of gaming at the moment.

U7Ghu2s.gif

It's a joke category. I thought that one would be the most obvious.

J-Skee

It's tongue-in-cheek. Kyle actually resents pre-orders, and that's why he made the category. He's making fun of that stuff. When they used to do Trailer Scores at GameTrailers, he would dock any trailer .5 points for having "pre-order now" in the trailer.

I mean that's how this stuff works. People do the same thing with Giant Bomb and the comparisons happen with EZA in their threads.

It's no different than when people compare games in different threads. These groups are providing a similar format of media consumption, they are going to be compared.
I don't think the comparisons are warranted in nearly every thread, especially when many of the comparisons seem to be invested in poopooing a certain outlet.

I don't think KFG is really any more "negative" about games than GB is, and I don't really find either outlet that much more "negative" about games than EZA is. Both of those claims are, in my mind, a myth perpetuated by fanboys who want to slap a happy face onto everything. Those two outlets have some very long-time veterans of the industry and after you've been around the block a time or twenty, I think it's natural that you begin to be more critical and less forgiving of recurring flaws in video games. They're perfectly positive about a great number of games, but it seems like people like to label them as "negative" because they take certain games (say TLG or FFXV) to task. Each of the three outlets represent different, valuable outlooks on the industry.

Your sarcasm meter is in need of serious repairs.

Come on. Did you even watch the segment? It's a total joke bit put on by Corporate™ Bosman.

Zukkoyaki

Honestly, these picks and their personal shout outs are enough to make me want to check out more of their content. I enjoy the positivity and the varied taste in games, particularly the appreciation of niche Japanese games. Timing couldn't be better with Kinda Funny Games rapidly losing appeal for me.

Servbot24

Banned
I do understand a bit of the variety comments. It's part of having such a large group, when you try to nail down a consensus, the variety gets watered down.

Case in point, I think this GOTY list is actually pretty boring. The winner is nice, but the rest is pretty unsurprising. In comparison, listening to the Allies rattle off their individual (diverse) tastes and picks for games was far more interesting. Like Damiani giving a shoutout to Naruto and Attack on Titan? Very cool.

That applies to every outlet, any time several people have to agree on something, the safest choice will end up getting get chosen. I'm pretty thrilled that TLG won actually, wasn't expecting it.

I think honorable mention is fine for Naruto. Uncharted 4 is legitimate greatness though.

brawly

I really needed this win for TLG after that abysmal, laughable "review" that Kinda Funny put out (and I like those guys).

Unbelievable that it won. Love these guys.

Servbot24

Banned
I really needed this win for TLG after that abysmal, laughable "review" that Kinda Funny put out (and I like those guys).

Unbelievable that it won. Love these guys.

I refuse to listen to that episode of KF, I already know that it would be completely aggravating.

killroy87

I love this channel, and these guys, so much. The positivity and genuine enthusiasm is just so infectious. Giant Bomb covers me for hot takes from OGs of the industry (Jeff's knowledge is almost impossible to match), so between them and Easy Allies I'm completely covered.

Thinking about it now, for best preorder they should have given it to the worst offender since it was a joke category. Them picking Xenoverse 2 is congratulatory for not having the worst of the bunch lol, essentially legitimizing their troll.

The troll has consumed us all. We are doomed.

Kinda Funny spends 30 minutes basically saying they played nothing other than Star Wars VR and Crash. Colin outright says he didnt play anything and was just there to meet industry friends. EZA had a 40 minute video where they went in depth about hands on playing of tons of games at least half of which were indies.

Wow. I hope KF skips PSX next year if they are just going to meet industry friends.

hey buddy im sorry about your lack to detect jokes

brawly

I refuse to listen to that episode of KF, I already know that it would be completely aggravating.

Yeah, don't. I like Tim so much and he does his best to steer that episode but you just can't with two people who don't have any interest in it and couldn't give a damn to give it a chance.

Zukkoyaki

But you'll miss Colin saying people and critics who enjoyed TLG and FFXV must be mentally compensating for their shortcomings because they want them to be better than they actually are!!

Meier

Pretty decent choices although I would have UC4 nowhere near my top games list, personally. Why is there a link to their Patreon in the OP?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Absolutely -- it reads like an ad. Inappropriate IMO.
Encouraging people to pay for content they enjoy means we could see fewer actual ads, fewer conflicts of interests and accusations of moneyhats, etc

Also this is an informal web forum. Inappropriate is probably the wrong word

Edit: whoa dogpile, sorry. Took longer to write that than I realized

I don't think the comparisons are warranted in nearly every thread, especially when many of the comparisons seem to be invested in poopooing a certain outlet.

I don't think KFG is really any more "negative" about games than GB is, and I don't really find either outlet that much more "negative" about games than EZA is. Both of those claims are, in my mind, a myth perpetuated by fanboys who want to slap a happy face onto everything. Those two outlets have some very long-time veterans of the industry and after you've been around the block a time or twenty, I think it's natural that you begin to be more critical and less forgiving of recurring flaws in video games. They're perfectly positive about a great number of games, but it seems like people like to label them as "negative" because they take certain games (say TLG or FFXV) to task. Each of the three outlets represent different, valuable outlooks on the industry.

I honestly can't agree. I've had limited time with both GB and now Easy Allies (who I started watching a little over 4 days ago) and I find there's a pretty marked difference in atmosphere and the presentation.

That combined with Easy's gaming tastes resonates far more with me. Maybe it's just me but I haven't enjoyed listening to a group since the PC Magazine folks back in 2010. Like as in actively listening. I dabbled here and there but nothing grabbed hold of me for so long.

One thing I was disappointed with is the lack of mentioning Halo 5 in Most Improved. The game received a lot of complaints for its launch state lacking modes and gametypes, but 343 has added so much this year to improve the experience. For one, the Custom Games Browser was a feature people have been wanting since 2004, and we finally got it. Most multiplayer games these days are just matchmaking, but now we have the option to play what we want, when we want; it's a huge deal imo, especially for Halo fans. For everything Rainbow Six was praised for, I think Halo 5 did just as much, if not more.

All luv though, I know that not many Allies are into multiplayer games like Halo so it's cool.

If people like the content, posting a patreon link not only provides an opportunity to fund more of it, but also shows where you can stay up to date with what they make.

Sounds like a personal problem for you.

You must really hate Kickstarter threads.

If I boiled his interests down his most favorite games are builder games. He went nuts with Dragon Quest Builders (see the review footage), Disney infinity, toys to life games. He is also a huge open world fan. There's a reason why towers jokes are big with him since he loves them. :)

You must really hate Kickstarter threads.

If I boiled his interests down his most favorite games are builder games. He went nuts with Dragon Quest Builders (see the review footage), Disney infinity, toys to life games. He is also a huge open world fan. There's a reason why towers jokes are big with him since he loves them. :)

He also loved Nioh and Bloodborne. and Inside was in his top 5. He also loved Overcooked. So his taste aren't as limited as some in this thread make it out to be.

-shadow-

Did they ever post a review for it? I swear Ben said he was making one and I never saw it materialize.
I remember reading Ben was doing the review but it indeed was never put online in the end. Was really looking forward to it when it was new.

Top Bottom