• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies 2016 GOTY Picks

DNAbro

Hah yea it's my favorite reaction gif
benblissrok53.gif

Did you hear the Yakuza 0 story at E3? Huber is a master storyteller
https://youtu.be/9xFWetixa1g

Holy shit I think Huber just sold me on Yakuza

Besides the reaction to Resident Evil 7, the Trial of Kyle Bosman has to be the best thing that's happened in EZA in 2016, the fact that something so creative and hilarious happened off the fly like that. They really turned around some actual disappointment from a few with Kyle's bed dodging.

Also, Damiani embarrassing Kyle in the Mario Kart tournament was gold.

Hari Seldon

Yeah I gave this podcast 2 episodes. Their stupid ass RADIO VOICE HIGH ENERGY shtick and their non-diverse taste in games made be bail.

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah I gave this podcast 2 episodes. Their stupid ass RADIO VOICE HIGH ENERGY shtick and their non-diverse taste in games made be bail.

Kyle does use an annoying voice for the podcast (not sure why, it's not his real voice), but saying they don't have diverse taste seems like a strange criticism. Variety is one of their strongest aspects.

Hari Seldon

Kyle does use an annoying voice for the podcast (not sure why, it's not his real voice), but saying they don't have diverse taste seems like a strange criticism. Variety is one of their strongest aspects.

Its my main complaint about Giant Bomb as well. It is pretty much AAA console game launches + fighting games (past or present) and nothing else. I almost shit myself when Gerstmen let Alex Navarro spend 2 minutes talking about HS lol. PC games are non-existent. I mean that is fine I like all types of games, but I don't need to sub to two podcasts talking about the exact same games.

Maybe EZA has people that do this, but from the 2 episodes I gave it, it seemed basically Giant Bomb only more annoying.

Kyle's voice sounds normal to me other than when he briefly and deliberately puts on a voice.

I don't get the high energy comment; everyone sounds grounded without putting anything on. I guess I have the pitch settings turned down to -100 on my playback.

Edit:

I agree about the lack of PC content. I wish EZA would show more on this platform as there are a tonne of good games out there that don't make it to console.

Ralemont

not me
When you play a game you like (TLG) and you don't give yourself some time to process what you just played, you end up thinking it is the best game in the whole year.

Your emotional reaction and immediate experience with a piece of art/entertainment is one of the most important aspects of it. There's more to analysis and criticism than cynically picking apart individual aspects of something.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Was bummed someone yelled out Tyranny during the Best RPG noms, but it fell on deaf ears.

Servbot24

Banned
Your emotional reaction and immediate experience with a piece of art/entertainment is one of the most important aspects of it. There's more to analysis and criticism than cynically picking apart individual aspects of something.

Not only is it being a downer but I also disagree with his premise. I still feel the ending of Uncharted 4. That hasn't diminished in 6 months. I still feel Journey. I still feel Shadow of the Colossus.

When you have been playing games for 20 years, you know what to look for. You know what is going to last and what is just a temporary high. TLG is going to last.

I assume this "nerd" comment is tongue-in-cheek but there are plenty of non-nerdy games out there.
Whatever I mean by non-nerdy.

Yeah it is, but to be more serious I don't think there's any need for them to cover every single game platform. Console games are already way too plentiful to ever be covered by one podcast, if you add in PC games it's just insane. Plus, I think they do cover a decent number of games on PC anyways, just not all of them are exclusives.

wiibomb

Is this site PlayStation exclusive? If so then looks pretty good to me.

no, they even nominated other games like pokemon S/M, Quantum Break, Monster HUnter Generations and Fire Emblem, but to be honest the offerings from MS and Nintendo where kinda weak this year, specially Nintendo

Sendou

no, they even nominated other games like pokemon S/M, Quantum Break, Monster HUnter Generations and Fire Emblem, but to be honest the offerings from MS and Nintendo where kinda weak this year, specially Nintendo

Gotcha. Wasn't quite sure just looking at the OP since the few games that weren't on Sony platforms and won was just in some joke category.

Wink

Fine nominees overall and completely agree on the number one.

Only odd one out is FFXV for me, but I guess some were so starved for a grand JRPG that they're willing to forgive any lazy writing and archaic design decisions.

Halabane

It was a fun show. I really don't take it that seriously, its all opinions anyway. The only criticism I would have is that GOTY games to be selected should be frozen in maybe OCT/NOV time frame. You need to get some distance from games and have a better chance at reflecting over all the games that came out over the year. Sometimes you get overwhelmed by the new hype. Think this maybe the case here. But that is just an opinion.

I like that in general they are try to keep things positive, which is hard to find these days.

Drencrom

Great picks!

It's crazy that both TLG and FFXV, two games that have been in the making for so long actually delivered on their promises and met fan expectations.

Deku Tree

No respect for TLG pick.
Game is a buggy mess and Trico AI is a horrible joke.
Also we should not be encouraging developers making games which run very poorly on the base PS4.
But people have the right to their opinions.

Hari Seldon

don't get the high energy comment; everyone sounds grounded without putting anything on. I guess I have the pitch settings turned down to -100 on my playback.

Lol when I listened to it, one dude would spontaneously burst into song like he was a disney princess, and another dude went on and on and on about some ticket thing like he was a 1980s Nickelodeon game show host.

Like hol-e-fuck guys I don't have enough cocaine to keep up with this shit.

hydruxo

So TLG is really that good huh? I haven't kept up with impressions much, may have to pick it up sooner than I thought

Lol when I listened to it, one dude would spontaneously burst into song like he was a disney princess, and another dude went on and on and on about some ticket thing like he was a 1980s Nickelodeon game show host.

Like hol-e-fuck guys I don't have enough cocaine to keep up with this shit.

its a bit. they're having fun.

like hol-e-fuck guy get over it

El-Suave

Was it though? Their review of XV wasn't exactly glowing.

It was in the top three and probably placed third. That's pretty good and the review was fine as well.
What I really admire about EZA reviews is that they mention the problems but it never stops the reviewer from seeing the bigger picture that is the game as a whole. Usually they don't fall for the hype either. That would be an easy conclusion because of the reaction videos and gifs they're "famous" for but they're always critical enough.

Deku Tree

So TLG is really that good huh? I haven't kept up with impressions much, may have to pick it up sooner than I thought

Opinions are very divided in the OT actually. I really wonder how GAF will look back on TLG after the hype dies down. Either people love it or they think that Trico's horrible AI is annoying and game breaking and unplayable.

Opinions are very divided in the OT actually. I really wonder how GAF will look back on TLG after the hype dies down. Either people love it or they think that Trico's horrible AI is annoying and game breaking and unplayable.

It is? The OT seems pretty much universally positive.

Hasney

Yes when I was posting in there the last week it was quite divided. There were negative opinions like the one that I posted by many different posters on every page.

So like every game? It certainly seems more positive than just about every popular OT I've read this year.

sora87

No respect for TLG pick.
Game is a buggy mess and Trico AI is a horrible joke.
Also we should not be encouraging developers making games which run very poorly on the base PS4.
But people have the right to their opinions.

Trico AI was fine for me after i understood it. Also encountered zero bugs. Shrug.

butman

Hope they get some private sponsors support next year.
Kinda Funny has a lot and personally i think that EZA is the best gaming podcast in the business. They known what they talking about.
KF are more superficials when they approach a gaming topic.

Top Bottom