• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #306: Cover for June is ARMS

Yeah, it's obviously not leaked when Nintendo themselves puts out a trailer with those portraits hidden in it. Did a quick google search, trying to find a picture with those four fighters. I didn't even pay attention to what was written on that screenshot.

Wasn't criticising you, just thought it was a funny article title. I can't wait for ARMS! It's actually pretty rare we get a new fighting IP from a major studio.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I'd imagine, if all goes well, ARMS will probably land somewhere in the low 80s on Metacritic.

That's where Splatoon is at on there.

No way. Splatoon was only there because it lacked a ton of features at launch. Splatoon from even just 2 months after is significantly improved. I don't think Nintendo will do the same thing with ARMS and Splatoon 2. They'll have all their core features for the start this time

But I thought ARMS was only going to have 5 characters? ��

This board goes full tilt stupid when it comes to Nintendo titles sometimes. It's embarrassing looking back at people who thought that. Good thing mods don't delete old threads and we can always go back and laugh

Haven't bought a Switch yet but I'm super excited for this game. I don't really understand some of the skepticism toward Arms. It has looked great to me since the reveal. But I'm a massive Punch-Out fan I guess...

I really like the alternate colors in this game so far.

C-PJ3NoUwAI4iqG.jpg

Black Ribbon Girl is sick - she's my favorite so far. I would prefer a black Ribbon Girl though - as in African American. But I guess the idea of a black character as an "alternate color" is definitely problematic - so lemme change that: I hope we get a black character.

Is there going to be any people of colour in the game?

Forkball

I really like the alternate colors in this game so far.

C-PJ3NoUwAI4iqG.jpg

Black Ribbon Girl is sick - she's my favorite so far. I would prefer a black Ribbon Girl though - as in African American. But I guess the idea of a black character as an "alternate color" is definitely problematic - so lemme change that: I hope we get a black character.
Fighting games have had skin color swaps since forever. Some SNK games even have a color edit mode where you can freely change the sprite's colors. USFII will have that too.

MANUELF

Banned
I swear those that say Nintendo already announced all the characters in the reveal trailer want it to fail and are only looking for things to downplay

OT: It looks great but 1500 pesos is too much, maybe if the exchange rate gets better I will buy it when I get a switch

I love the cover, think the game will deliver. It looks really fun to play and reminds me of those colorful Dreamcast games. It also seems like a spiritual successor to Punch Out. I'm actually very exited a new type of fighting game is coming.

For me ARMS is a day one purchase ! Can't wait !

Malus

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I'd imagine, if all goes well, ARMS will probably land somewhere in the low 80s on Metacritic.

That's where Splatoon is at on there.

Splatoon (as much as I adore it) launched without key features like private battles, any mp modes other than turf war, and it had only 5 mp maps.
I still woulda given it a 9.75 at launch but that's just me :p

ARMS already looks like it'll have a stronger base package. Whether the game as a whole will resonate with people as much as Splatoon did is another story tho.

Mory Dunz

I swear those that say Nintendo already announced all the characters in the reveal trailer want it to fail and are only looking for things to downplay

OT: It looks great but 1500 pesos is too much, maybe if the exchange rate gets better I will buy it when I get a switch

what, so next you're gonna tell me Splatoon 2 isn't a port?

Splatoon (as much as I adore it) launched without key features like private battles, any mp modes other than turf war, and it had only 5 mp maps.
I still woulda given it a 9.75 at launch but that's just me :p

ARMS already looks like it'll have a stronger base package. Whether it'll resonate with people as much as Splatoon did is another story tho.

I'm pretty confident in it doing low 80s. And I think it will have progressive free DLC.
But does it really matter? shrug

Yukinari

I'm still not convinced that this game will be good or worth anywhere near $60 - but the art style is gorgeous, hopefully they're planning an artbook

The single player mode needs to be more fleshed out and maybe multiplayer minigames that take advantage of the controls.

Haven't bought a Switch yet but I'm super excited for this game. I don't really understand some of the skepticism toward Arms. It has looked great to me since the reveal. But I'm a massive Punch-Out fan I guess...

It's a bit outside the box. The general public doesn't care for outside the box.

So far we have two white people, three of Asian decent, and a mummy, which would could claim is Egyptian.

Well, re: "people", didn't we determine only one character so far has human-looking eyes and the rest seem to be androids? Still good that they have a variety of model types that at least feel inclusive.

Harpoon

Well, re: "people", didn't we determine only one character so far has human-looking eyes and the rest seem to be androids? Still good that they have a variety of model types that at least feel inclusive.

They're not androids, just mutants. There's been a few places talking about how some people in this world are born with "ARMS Ability."

tkscz

I say Cyborgs

They're not androids, just mutants. There's been a few places talking about how some people in this world are born with "ARMS Ability."

Official talk or speculation?

Mory Dunz

So far we have two white people, three of Asian decent, and a mummy, which would could claim is Egyptian.

that's what I said a week or 2 ago lol

"Comes into thread to complain about no PoC"
"Conveniently ignores majority of shown characters are not necessarily white"

We're going to need an ARMS: the Education thread soon at this rate.

Yeah, shame about Splatoon. It had so much potential!

I mean Splatoon was outside the box, depends on what exactly is outside the box.

Some of the skepticism may be because ARMS doesn't quite look like anything else out there at the moment, is all I'm saying.

See the amount of people complaining about the size of the roster without considering the amount of arm combinations, for example.

JonnyKong

Anybody else think we're going to get a Splatoon situation with this game where they'll be releasing new content/characters/weapons as free dlc keep us interested?

Count me in.

No, only tanned japanese/asian characters.

Please be excited!

image.php

I "loved" that thread where one posted insisted Elma was an alien...but also that she was just a tanned Japanese person at the same time

Some of the skepticism may be because ARMS doesn't quite look like anything else out there at the moment, is all I'm saying.

See the amount of people complaining about the size of the roster without considering the amount of arm combinations, for example.

People had similar complaints about Splatoon because an E3 demo wasn't a full featured game. I'm not going to call them dumb, but...it's hard to characterize those early comments as anything positive or intelligible

random25

Complaints are just within gaming forums. You don't see outrage everywhere. Kind of like how "loud" the complaints about Splatoon with regards to its initial content, yet it still ended up being the largest-selling new IP from Nintendo on Wii U.

Complaints are just within gaming forums. You don't see outrage everywhere. Kind of like how "loud" the complaints about Splatoon with regards to its initial content, yet it still ended up being the largest-selling new IP from Nintendo on Wii U.

It was the largest new Japanese IP this gen

So this is slighty off topic but, if you look at the editorial section (where they list the editors etc.) in very tiny small print, I found this gem:

Apologies to our US readers for the sudden price increase. But your president is probably going to kill us all, so let's call it even, hmm?

I found that quite humorous.

Neiteio

The article notes that in addition to the devs balancing the game and running algorithms to analyze all of their live fight data, they also have the AI fighting itself nonstop all through the night, for additional data.

Kind of neat to know that when everyone at Nintendo has gone home for the night, the game continues to play itself in some dark office in Japan.

Usually always get my issue before or on the street date. I understand they want to keep Nintendo happy after breaking the Zelda embargo but it's a real bummer that digital is getting it before me.

Doorman

The article notes that in addition to the devs balancing the game and running algorithms to analyze all of their live fight data, they also have the AI fighting itself nonstop all through the night, for additional data.

Kind of neat to know that when everyone at Nintendo has gone home for the night, the game continues to play itself in some dark office in Japan.

That part from the NE article caught my attention the most, because it confirms some things regarding the developer's mindset that we didn't entirely know about before:
- They're taking balance between characters and Arms seriously, despite admitting the difficulty in making that work with the number of combination.
- They acknowledge the esports potential of the genre in general which I have to assume means it's something they're at least looking into with ARMS, which means continued attention and support.
- They have internal tools to log and categorize all of their developer matches as well as A.I. fights. Optimistically, I hope they find a way to turn some of those tools around to give players access to some pretty cool stat-tracking that they can use to tweak strategies or Arm selections. I have to assume it also means Nintendo can likely collect data from online matches and perhaps even big tournaments and use all of that to factor in future balance patches.

CPU vs. CPU fights for statistical purposes is fun to consider, but the usefulness of those numbers also largely depends on how well they programmed the fighting A.I. to begin with, so that aspect of it should still be taken with a grain of salt, but depending on the depth of their tracking tools, they could do some really cool stuff for the end user.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That part from the NE article caught my attention the most, because it confirms some things regarding the developer's mindset that we didn't entirely know about before:
- They're taking balance between characters and Arms seriously, despite admitting the difficulty in making that work with the number of combination.
- They acknowledge the esports potential of the genre in general which I have to assume means it's something they're at least looking into with ARMS, which means continued attention and support.
- They have internal tools to log and categorize all of their developer matches as well as A.I. fights. Optimistically, I hope they find a way to turn some of those tools around to give players access to some pretty cool stat-tracking that they can use to tweak strategies or Arm selections. I have to assume it also means Nintendo can likely collect data from online matches and perhaps even big tournaments and use all of that to factor in future balance patches.

CPU vs. CPU fights for statistical purposes is fun to consider, but the usefulness of those numbers also largely depends on how well they programmed the fighting A.I. to begin with, so that aspect of it should still be taken with a grain of salt, but depending on the depth of their tracking tools, they could do some really cool stuff for the end user.
Yeah I mean something like Ninjara's dodge can't really be balanced through such a method if the AI essentially cheats and can track where he's moving to unlike a human player if it's programmed that way, but I imagine such limitations would be abundantly obvious and if not the tournaments should definitely make it obvious if they somehow managed to miss it.

Totakeke

Obviously they wouldn't balance the game based on AI with precognition.

I don't know how effective balancing a fighting game using AI is, and I don't think anyone else does it, but it should at least bode well for the CPU opponents you fight against. It should be better than the standard AI you find in fighting games.

I don't know why any of that is particularly surprising. They literally introduced the game as a game for core gamers, yet people still seem surprised by this

Top Bottom