• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE review MS-Conf: "One of the most contemptuous press conferences in E3 history"

The Nintendo thing was just an introduction to the new controller and allready 100x more interesting than 90% of the long ass MS conference.

Bu yeah, Sony and Nintendo will be the only choices for games asside from HAlo4.

No, for some of us the Nintendo thing was a joke and not remotely interesting. I'll take watching the NBA and MNF on my 360 news over the ability to turn on my tv with my new Wii U controller any day of the week. But with that said, both companies have set the bar incredibly low so far. The only difference is Nintendo still has a chance to raise it, whereas Microsoft basically threw the bar on the ground and said "fuck it, we know this sucks. We know you know this sucks, but we're still going to outsell everyone and be the only console maker that makes a profit this year, so suck it." My own fault for tuning in. I wanted to punch a puppy every time I heard "only with Kinect".

Zinga

Banned
It's the last E3 before the new console announcement, honestly I didn't expect much.... I don't know anyone who did.

For me it's almost gotten to the point where my interest in Durango is waning and they haven't even announced it yet. I have all three consoles from this gen, with the 360 being my primary, go to system. I have a PC now, though, and if they continue this trend into next gen, I'd wager a guess that I will only be using 360's successor for the occasional mp game my other console-only owning friends pick up.

I just fail to see how they can come back next year and pretend they are all about games again in what will likely be a Durgano announcement while pretending the last three years never existed.

saunderez

The Edge review of the MS conference was the most contemptuous review of a E3 conference I've ever read so they certainly nailed the tone.

renitou

Did the author of this article understand the definition of "contemptuous," or how it's used in a sentence? I'd expect so from EDGE but then, here we are, and I'm not so sure.

Yes, showing off Kinect voice functions for Madden, with a good 1-2 second delay between saying the commands and the Kinect recognizing it. So basically, you don't want to use Kinect if you're in a hurry up offense.

It actually occurred faster than how it goes down in real life.

KageMaru

The show was bad, the games though are stunning

Halo 4, Gears Judgement and Forza Horizon news more than made up for the bad show

It is all about the games afterall, not a show

This is how I see it. I can't stand Usher but it won't make me forget about the games.

Edge make some good points but the comments regarding halo, which was great no matter which way you slice it, it's hard to take this bitter opinion seriously.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It was just plain boring. It wasn't as unintentionally hilarious as the past 2. It was just boring.

Seriously, did everybody just forget how HORRENDOUS the last couple of Microsoft press conferences have been?

This year's conference, uninspiring though it was, was still waaaaaaaaaay better than last year's, that's for sure.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It was honestly so bad and by the numbers that I have lost all enthusiasm in the xbox brand and will probably hold off on purchasing their next console. It's all up to Sony and Nintendo to save gaming now.

This comment might be sarcasm, but I actually felt this way.
It's clear that nothing Microsoft is offering is even remotely of interest to me anymore. It really bummed me out.
I honestly hope that at least Sony and Nintendo are going to be showing actual games instead of fucking services.

TheMan

heaven help them if they think sony's conference will be any better.

nintendo's conference has a chance of being good, but most likely they'll just show off some clips of games we already know about. blech.

nasos_333

I fully agree with this write up. And EDGE's twitter things were hilarious during the conference too.

I agree, but kinda sad that there were zero gameplay footy of Forza or GOW

Gears Judgement got a gameplay video

It is only some scenes near the end of the trailer, but looks stunning

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_gears_of_war_judgment_trailer-12899_en.html

Also i liked some of the show, like the Glass thing, the only problem is that they should have shown more Halo 4 and Gears than Dance and sports games

The Xbox is a streaming entertainment hub and the games are the differenciating factor to this hub.

There is a war raging and that war is all about who owns the living room, and this war is getting serious now that convergence is defacto for near everything CE related that you are buying right now.

If in 3 years Apple owns the living room, people are going to be looking around and wondering why Microsoft or Sony didn't try. This is Microsoft firing shots in this war and E3 is actually one of the best places to do it as it targets the people who actually use these devices regularily.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
An extremely unsurprising conference. Remember when MS presenters were all smug with "mhehe, look what next game we stole from Playstation?" Crowd: *roars*

Now it was more like "Wow, here's some live NHL TV coming later this fall!" Crowd: "I guess... we should roar?"

I did enjoy the entirety of Halo 4 footage however.

Vinci

Danish
I wanted to punch a puppy every time I heard "only with Kinect".

Really? A puppy? Because MS's most transitional of all E3 conferences, uncomfortably sandwiched between the current 360 audience and the next generation cycle, didn't deliver? Puppy no deserve that.

E3 2013 will be the do or die for me. If they do another Kinect show, people will loose faith.

Their next show will be good. Don't worry. This one is just awkwardly timed for them.

E3 used to have lots of surprise game announcements and MS didn't have a single one this year. What happened to Betraylathon style stuff like MGS and FF on Xbox! or new game announcements.

Article is ridiculous. It is just a conference. Essentially every major 3rd party game is on the 360 and Halo 4 looks phenomenal. What more do people want, the next console cycle will be here soon.

interesting games would be a good start. everything looked bland and horrible. halo 4 was kinda cool though but only because it looked like prime.

AntiTout

The Xbox is a streaming entertainment hub and the games are the differenciating factor to this hub.

There is a war raging and that war is all about who owns the living room, and this war is getting serious now that convergence is defacto for near everything CE related that you are buying right now.

If in 3 years Apple owns the living room, people are going to be looking around and wondering why Microsoft or Sony didn't try. This is Microsoft firing shots in this war and E3 is actually one of the best places to do it as it targets the people who actually use these devices regularily.

Fuuuuuck !!! this is WAR.
is this WAR?
WHY WAR?

Posted this in the MS thread as well but it is silly to complain about showing US only apps at a sales conference geared towards the US. Its not like these are announcements at TGS or Gamescom.

tusken77

It's the last E3 before the new console announcement, honestly I didn't expect much

I keep seeing this excuse. There are people such as Pachter who believe the PS4 will release before the next Xbox, meaning this is also Sony's last E3 before their new console announcement, and look how many new IPs are being shown later at Sony's conference.

Vinci

Danish
E3 used to have lots of surprise game announcements and MS didn't have a single one this year. What happened to Betraylathon style stuff like MGS and FF on Xbox! or new game announcements.

MS is the leading 3rd party console worldwide. What's surprising about them getting this or that game anymore?

Shambles

Really? A puppy? Because MS's most transitional of all E3 conferences, uncomfortably sandwiched between the current 360 audience and the next generation cycle, didn't deliver? Puppy no deserve that.

Their next show will be good. Don't worry. This one is just awkwardly timed for them.

Don't worry. He'll be punching a digital puppy... with his hands... using his kinect.

lefantome

It was pretty brutal. It's not even Kinect that's ruining Microsoft anymore, it's just the entire "entertainment" mentality they're maintaining. Maybe next year will break their shitty conference spell.

No what's ruining MS is the fact that they aren't developing new games anymore.
I haven't accesso to the 95% of the video streaming services but I like them and I want them in the console.

Kinect is finally at its sunset, but no games found yet, only 3 random exclusives one crap graphics game without any style, and two useless cg teasers.

No, for some of us the Nintendo thing was a joke and not remotely interesting. I'll take watching the NBA and MNF on my 360 news over the ability to turn on my tv with my new Wii U controller any day of the week. But with that said, both companies have set the bar incredibly low so far. The only difference is Nintendo still has a chance to raise it, whereas Microsoft basically threw the bar on the ground and said "fuck it, we know this sucks. We know you know this sucks, but we're still going to outsell everyone and be the only console maker that makes a profit this year, so suck it." My own fault for tuning in. I wanted to punch a puppy every time I heard "only with Kinect".

haha, ofcourse. There were horrible things in that prerecorded mess. But it will at least take gameplay in new directions and it is FOCUSSED on gameplay. Sure, it will have a browser and some extra functionality, but the main focus is games. Not streaming sports.

I have high hopes for the real Nintendo Conference. And i have reasonably high hopes for Sony.

Pretty accurate description of the conference. Previous years while poor were still kind of funny. This year was just...boring.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Introducing fitness app Nike+ Training was the equally shocking: “If you have a body, you’re an athlete.” And if you’ve got a mouth, presumably, you’re a poet. And a console business? You’re Shigeru Miyamoto. Or Rupert Murdoch. Or not.

Bwahaha

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
It's the last E3 before the new console announcement, honestly I didn't expect much.... I don't know anyone who did.

As I've already said, they will have their game faces on next E3. Its a guarantee.

kevm3

Microsoft is successfully doing with the 360 what Phil Harrison attempted to do with the PS3, turning it into a sort of media hub/entertainment device as opposed to a gaming console first and foremost.

Sydle

Terrible rage article. Microsoft is succeeding because of their entertainment box mentality. It's business, Microsoft is in it to make money, and they're going nowhere but up. Make peace with it or go find another hobby.

Guy Legend

E3 is going to belong to Nintendo. They are the ones showing the new hardware. It's up to them to re-invigorate the industry again.

Microsoft's conference was astonishingly boring. I think Sony will fare better tonight.

It was pretty damn bad but I don't think it was quite as bad as some are making it out to be. It will definitely be the worst conference this year by far though.

kingocfs

Terrible rage article. Microsoft is succeeding because of their entertainment box mentality. It's business, Microsoft is in it to make money, and they're going nowhere but up. Make peace with it or go find another hobby.

This. And what, can I only play games on my Xbox shown at the MS conference? That's what GAF makes it sound like.

goldenpp72

As I've already said, they will have their game faces on next E3. Its a guarantee.

They have been doing these crappy conferences 3 years running now, I really do hope next E3 they go nuts with a new xbox, revive rare, etc, but it's a bit scary to think what is going on behind the scenes at MS.

Top Bottom