• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Scores - Issue 224

hipgnosis said:
999: nine hours, nine persons, nine doors: 6

Reasons:
- They only got one of the endings
- Reading words is "so last century"
- Not made by European team
- Secret nod to fans about the game related to
Akane's bracelet

Curufinwe

firehawk12 said:
Man, that's gotta be the worst Edge cover ever. Just put a bunch of space marines in four boxes and call it a day.

And poor Gray Matter. Still looking forward to it though.

I think the War Devil cover was worse.

timetokill said:
Reasons:
- Reading words is "so last century"

The biggest negative seemed to be because the translation was fine, with "bland exposition and dialogue." The final sentence is, "there's a solid adventure title here, but it's spread thin over a densely written airport thriller."

v0yce

Whoa. EDGE is on Zinio? Where have I been. Bought.

This is great news for a game loving, iPad owning, american.

Bebpo

Banned
I got disagree hard on Gray Matter & Ni no kuni.

Gray Matter is the best adventure game I've played since Grim Fandango. It's better than The Longest Journey, all the Telltale stuff, and all the indie stuff (although maaaaybe Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos is still better. Hard to pick there, those are the two best adventure games this decade imo). Yeah the animation is a little stiff and yeah the budget is a little low, but the story is damn good, the puzzles are great, the art and music is gorgeous and the game is lengthy without filler. If you like adventure games, it's an absolute must play. I wonder if they reviewed the X360 version? I heard the controls were poor.

otoh Ni no kuni is another average and dull jrpg by Level 5 in the tradition of Rogue Galaxy & White Knight Story. Sure the Ghibli art and music makes it look and sound better, and the plot is a little better because it's more of a Ghibli story than L5 awful stories, but the gameplay is amazingly average. I think the best indication of this is that the import thread where at least 5 people started playing the game when it was released...no one even finished it and the game is only supposed to be about 30 hours long. Personally I got bored and it's now shelved and will be forever unfinished like the other L5 boring rpgs I mentioned. That score seems ridiculously high for a game that's not even engaging enough for anyone to clear.

GhaleonQ

whatevermort said:
The biggest negative seemed to be because the translation was fine, with "bland exposition and dialogue." The final sentence is, "there's a solid adventure title here, but it's spread thin over a densely written airport thriller."

In other words, "we are not familiar with Japanese-style graphic adventure games." And now for Grey Matter! "Doesn't have a puzzle like Le Serpent Rouge."

I don't HATE Edge, but
ashbash159 said:
I wish people wouldn't be so upset by some of these low scores, especially considering it's Edge. I never listen to the scores and always read their reviews and then you may understand why something got the score it did.

is almost never the case. Their reviews are inconsistent and ill-justified way, way too often. It hurts their claims to "the highbrow games publication" way more than the pseudointellectualism of the features.

Bebpo said:
Ni no kuni is another average and dull jrpg by Level 5 in the tradition of Rogue Galaxy & White Knight Story. Sure the Ghibli art and music makes it look and sound better, and the plot is a little better because it's more of a Ghibli story than L5 awful stories, but the gameplay is amazingly average. I think the best indication of this is that the import thread where at least 5 people started playing the game when it was released...no one even finished it and the game is only supposed to be about 30 hours long. Personally I got bored and it's now shelved and will be forever unfinished like the other L5 boring rpgs I mentioned. That score seems ridiculously high for a game that's not even engaging enough for anyone to clear.

I really like you, Bebpo. Plus, I would not be surprised if I end up thinking the same (I haven't played it yet).

Barkley's Justice said:
officially 2 issues behind now in the u.s.

FUCK IMS NEWS!
Yes, and then I get this email today:
Dear (me),

Unfortunately due to the continued heavy snow and high wind alerts crossing the Southeast, Midwest, and travelling up the Northeast region of the U.S. shipping of your subscription copy of Edge has been affected and may result in a delay.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused and rest assured that we are doing all we can to rectify this.

Yours sincerely,

Edge Customer Services
I mean cool that they emailed me, but damn how long does it take to ship a magazine across the Atlantic? There's no reason they shouldn't be able to get me the current issue before the next issue comes out in the UK. 2 issues behind is ridiculous.

ArjanN

GhaleonQ said:
In other words, "we are not familiar with Japanese-style graphic adventure games."

Just because a lot of japanese-style adventure games do it doesn't make it any better. A lot of them really are overly verbose.

OnPoint

jonnybryce said:
I really liked Lilt Line on iPhone although I think I recall it becoming a bit too challenging. I'm surprised it scored so low.

They're wrong -- it's better than a 4 -- but what can you do.

Curufinwe

Fong Ghoul said:
Yes, and then I get this email today:

I mean cool that they emailed me, but damn how long does it take to ship a magazine across the Atlantic? There's no reason they shouldn't be able to get me the current issue before the next issue comes out in the UK. 2 issues behind is ridiculous.

I got that email today, too.

Ihya

Rahxephon91 said:
Dead Space 2 keeps getting good reviews. I'm honestly surprised, I didn't expect it to be that good.

Yes as an EA game I honestly thought it would score 7s and 8s, but they seem to have knocked it out of the park. I always feel the snooty reviewers don't like EA games.

Gonna get the PS3 version with extraction if I preorder.

Grisby

Rahxephon91 said:
Dead Space 2 keeps getting good reviews. I'm honestly surprised, I didn't expect it to be that good.

Really? The original Dead Space was one of the most polished games I've ever played when it came out. Not to mention it got a lot of good reviews.

I figured what with Visceral already having the engine down they were going to knock the next one out of the park. Kind of like what Naughty Dog did with Uncharted.

Mar

It's great that Edge is available via digital subscription now. I always said I'd buy an iPad the day this happened, but having thought about it (and letting the initial iPad hype die away over the months), I realised I don't particularly want to look like a douchebag reading an iPad at the pub. Instead I think I'll keep buying the print version.

Yeah, I like to read Edge at the pub. I'm a strange person.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mar said:
It's great that Edge is available via digital subscription now. I always said I'd buy an iPad the day this happened, but having thought about it (and letting the initial iPad hype die away over the months), I realised I don't particularly want to look like a douchebag reading an iPad at the pub. Instead I think I'll keep buying the print version.

Yeah, I like to read Edge at the pub. I'm a strange person.
When was this months available on Zinio?

Before street date, with the subs or what?

Corto

Shurs said:
Didn't quite a few people from the original Dead Space team migrate over to Activision after the first game shipped?

Yes. I remember Schofield on the EA Podcast with Jeff Green talking about Dead Space and a few days after reading here on GAF the announcement of his departure to Activision.

seady said:
Looks like Edge rate games based on the publishers now. Aksys is too small for them to give a damn.

yes, that is obviously more likely than an individual reviewer not 100% clicking with a quirky traditional japanese visual novel on DS and giving it a merely above average score as a result

Korigama

345triangle said:
yes, that is obviously more likely than an individual reviewer not 100% clicking with a quirky traditional japanese visual novel on DS and giving it a merely above average score as a result

Patches of humor aside (which go a long way to prevent any game from feeling too serious), 999 as a whole leans more toward dark and depressing than "quirky", but whatever. Normally, I try to focus on individual reviewers as opposed to dismissing an entire outlet over a disagreement, but that's rather difficult to do when none of the reviews I remember reading from Edge ever name them (the ones I've seen always just say "Edge Staff").

Jonnyram

cjelly said:
When was this months available on Zinio?

Before street date, with the subs or what?
From today, i.e. street date. The price is ridiculously cheap though. The 13 issue sub price in Japan (3245 yen), can easily be paid for a single physical issue in some import stores.

Curufinwe said:
I got issue 224 yesterday, but I still haven't got issue 223.

Sigh.

I'm in the same boat, so I asked for a replacement issue 223 on their website. Crossing my fingers that it shows up.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ahhhh I'll have to buy this for the time extend. Haven't bought a Edge in quite some time, too bad the cover is ugly.

Merguson

Banned
Curufinwe said:
I got issue 224 yesterday, but I still haven't got issue 223.

Sigh.

I got Issue 223 last week but haven't gotten Issue 224 yet.

EDIT: Before I got Issue 223, i sent an email to IMS asking about Issue 223.

"That issue is still very delayed, you will probably receive issue #224 first. Issue # 223 will follow shortly after."

Go figure!

Top Bottom