• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Scores October 2023

Yerd

How do they still operate and make money??
Selling to old fucks who still somehow buy periodicals and play video games. Pretentious twats who probably feel better about themselves for reading a physical medium over online stuff.

I would probably fall into that category, but the internet won me over. I used to buy Next Gen when it was around, but I stopped caring when the internet could get all the info faster. I think next gen was the last physical magazine I bought. Then I eventually stopped caring what reviewers thought and made my own decisions.
Wut? They censored the movie?
Pretty sure that's the TV edit. You can't have big words on tv.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz
Recruitment ads, plus an Edge cover is worth a lot of money. It was always the only truly prestigious games mag, and I guess it still is by default. They don't report their circulation any more, but in my day it was consistently 27K. For any other mag that would be cripplingly low, but Edge was the one that everyone in the industry read.
27K what? viewers per month? or 27K dollars a month?

calistan

27K what? viewers per month? or 27K dollars a month?
Circulation, i.e. copies sold. For comparison, in that era the biggest selling games mag in the UK was the Official PlayStation one, which was generally 150K-200K in the PS2 days and peaked at 450K on PS1. Anything over 60K was a good result, so Edge was generally well below that level but it carried a lot of weight with the people who mattered.

YCoCg

Wut? They censored the movie?
All the eras of history and I had to live in the age of mental retardation.
...you guys just want to be reactionary without the facts now don't you?

This is an on set photo, the sign he wore for filming said that and it was edited in post to change everyone to the n-word. However for the TV edit of the movie, that's in 1996, 27 years ago, they used the original unedited version of this scene.

Seriously any Die Hard fan knows this.

Circulation, i.e. copies sold. For comparison, in that era the biggest selling games mag in the UK was the Official PlayStation one, which was generally 150K-200K in the PS2 days and peaked at 450K on PS1. Anything over 60K was a good result, so Edge was generally well below that level but it carried a lot of weight with the people who mattered.
I dint understand how in this day and age people would continue to pay for such things. With YouTuhe you have access to some of the highest quality content at basically 0 cost. You are only paying for internet access, that's it.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Nintendo games that Edge scored below the metacritic average
GameMetacriticEdge
KirbyAirRide613
PokemonMysteryDungeon:ExplorersofDarkness593
Yoshi'sNewIsland644
MarioPinballLand624
MarioGolfSuperRush704
Excitebots:TrickRacing774
WiiParty685
PokemonRumble594
MarioParty8624
Wario:MasterofDisguise604
MarioKartDoubleDash875
MarioStrikers:BattleLeague735
FamicomDetectiveClub745
WiiPartyU655
BattalionWars2755
CustomRobo655655
F-ZeroGPLegend775
DK:KingofSwing705
MarioPowerTennis805
Dillon'sRollingWestern655
DetectivePikachu716
WarioLand:ShakeIt!786
NESRemix716
PokkenTournament766
MarioTennisAces756
GoldenSun:TheLostAge866
Yoshi'sWoollyWorld786
PilotwingsResort716
MarioStrikersCharged796
TheLegendofZelda:TriForceHeroes736
Metroid:SamusReturns856
SuperPrincessPeach756
MarioGolf: WorldTour786
MarioSuperstarBaseball766
WiiSportsResort806
Poochy&Yoshi'sWoollyWorld776
Nintendogs837
Mario&Luigi: DreamTeam817
Luigi'sMansion3867
Kirby: CanvasCurse867
NewSuperLuigiU776
MarioKartWii826
Mario&Luigi: PartnersinTime867
Splatoon3837
XenobladeChronicles2837
Mariovs.DonkeyKong817
DonkeyKongCountryReturns877
NewSuperMarioBros.Wii877
Pokemon:Let'sGo,Eevee!Pikachu!807
DonkeyKongCountry:TropicalFreeze837
PokemonPinball:Ruby&Sapphire817
FireEmblemWarriors:ThreeHopes807
PokemonShield/Sword807
PokemonLegends:Arceus837
Mariovs.DonkeyKong:MinisMarchAgain!827
BatenKaitos:EternalWingsandtheLostOcean807
Kirby:TripleDeluxe807
XenobladeChroniclesX847
SuperPaperMario857
CaptainToad:TreasureTracker817
FireEmblemEngage807
Pikmin4877
WarioWare,Inc.:MegaMicrogame$!897
MetroidPrime3:Corruption907
Mario&Luigi: SuperstarSaga908
MetroidPrimeTrilogy918
Pikmin2908
AdvanceWars: DualStrike908
MarioKartDS918
SuperSmashBros.forWiiU928
SuperMario3DLand908

Games that Edge score above the Metacritic average
GameMetacriticEdge
KirbyandtheRainbowCurse738
1080:Avalanche738
YoshiTouch&Go738
Electroplankton718
PaperMario:StickerStar758
NintendoSwitchSports728
AstralChain879
MarioKart7859
Mario+Rabbids:KingdomBattle859
SuperMarioMaker889
AnimalCrossing:NewLeaf889
FireEmblemFates:SpecialEdition889
Splatoon819
Arms779
TheLegendofZelda:TearsoftheKingdom9610
SuperMarioOdyssey9710
TheLegendofZelda:BreathoftheWild9710
SkywardSword9310
SuperMarioGalaxy29710
TheLegendofZelda:FourSwordsAdventures869
MarioKart8889

Other nintendo games Edge reviewed aligned with metacritic average.

The bias is real!

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Nintendo games that Edge scored below the metacritic average
GameMetacriticEdge
KirbyAirRide613
PokemonMysteryDungeon:ExplorersofDarkness593
Yoshi'sNewIsland644
MarioPinballLand624
MarioGolfSuperRush704
Excitebots:TrickRacing774
WiiParty685
PokemonRumble594
MarioParty8624
Wario:MasterofDisguise604
MarioKartDoubleDash875
MarioStrikers:BattleLeague735
FamicomDetectiveClub745
WiiPartyU655
BattalionWars2755
CustomRobo655655
F-ZeroGPLegend775
DK:KingofSwing705
MarioPowerTennis805
Dillon'sRollingWestern655
DetectivePikachu716
WarioLand:ShakeIt!786
NESRemix716
PokkenTournament766
MarioTennisAces756
GoldenSun:TheLostAge866
Yoshi'sWoollyWorld786
PilotwingsResort716
MarioStrikersCharged796
TheLegendofZelda:TriForceHeroes736
Metroid:SamusReturns856
SuperPrincessPeach756
MarioGolf: WorldTour786
MarioSuperstarBaseball766
WiiSportsResort806
Poochy&Yoshi'sWoollyWorld776
Nintendogs837
Mario&Luigi: DreamTeam817
Luigi'sMansion3867
Kirby: CanvasCurse867
NewSuperLuigiU776
MarioKartWii826
Mario&Luigi: PartnersinTime867
Splatoon3837
XenobladeChronicles2837
Mariovs.DonkeyKong817
DonkeyKongCountryReturns877
NewSuperMarioBros.Wii877
Pokemon:Let'sGo,Eevee!Pikachu!807
DonkeyKongCountry:TropicalFreeze837
PokemonPinball:Ruby&Sapphire817
FireEmblemWarriors:ThreeHopes807
PokemonShield/Sword807
PokemonLegends:Arceus837
Mariovs.DonkeyKong:MinisMarchAgain!827
BatenKaitos:EternalWingsandtheLostOcean807
Kirby:TripleDeluxe807
XenobladeChroniclesX847
SuperPaperMario857
CaptainToad:TreasureTracker817
FireEmblemEngage807
Pikmin4877
WarioWare,Inc.:MegaMicrogame$!897
MetroidPrime3:Corruption907
Mario&Luigi: SuperstarSaga908
MetroidPrimeTrilogy918
Pikmin2908
AdvanceWars: DualStrike908
MarioKartDS918
SuperSmashBros.forWiiU928
SuperMario3DLand908

Games that Edge score above the Metacritic average
GameMetacriticEdge
KirbyandtheRainbowCurse738
1080:Avalanche738
YoshiTouch&Go738
Electroplankton718
PaperMario:StickerStar758
NintendoSwitchSports728
AstralChain879
MarioKart7859
Mario+Rabbids:KingdomBattle859
SuperMarioMaker889
AnimalCrossing:NewLeaf889
FireEmblemFates:SpecialEdition889
Splatoon819
Arms779
TheLegendofZelda:TearsoftheKingdom9610
SuperMarioOdyssey9710
TheLegendofZelda:BreathoftheWild9710
SkywardSword9310
SuperMarioGalaxy29710
TheLegendofZelda:FourSwordsAdventures9086
MarioKart8889

Other nintendo games Edge reviewed aligned with metacritic average.

The bias is real!
Well we are talking about The last 10 years for the most part, they prefer Nintendo games more then any other outlet.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Remnant score a bit high
oh-you-david-mitchell-shy-flattered-uzmz2j9a4a5cxxy8.gif

calistan

They don’t do those anymore.

You get adverts now for Go Compare - but Future owns that too.
Sounds like they're keeping it going for the cachet - most other mags closed years ago but Edge is their halo product. Ads for Future products represent a page that their ad manager couldn't sell. We'd set aside X page each month, and if the ads person failed to sell them then we'd ask around the other mags for a house ad, which brings in zero revenue.

Fuz

Banned
Shadow Gambit is most likely worth the 8.

The studio developed Shadow Tactics, which I like. It sits at 96% user score on Steam.

The studio developed Desperados III, which I like. It sits at 96% user score on Steam.

Shadow Gambit is in the same genre as the two games mentioned above.
Yeah, Shadow Tactics was amazing. Really a terrible timeframe to release Shadow Gambit, though. I feel Baldur's Gate 3 will eat most of its exposure and sales.

64bitbros

Remnant 2 a 6....lol ok.

This is why I don't trust most outlets and magazines. God only knows the person reviewing it has barely ever played a game before or is just starting out.

Trusting individual reviews is way more accurate. Karak (ACG), Skill Up, FextraLife have all been very good with their recommendations and I trust their opinions.
To put that in perspective, they gave the broken mess that is Redfall a 6. Its so inconsistent its not even funny.

Last edited:

Yerd

To put that in perspective, they gave the broken mess that is Redfall a 6. Its so inconsistent its not even funny.
According to guy above, a 6 is a very good score. Which means Redfall is a very good game to them.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

You'd think we'd be used to these Edge threads by now.

Cowards still never reviewed Hogwarts Legacy. For that alone, they should go the way of the dodo.
It's definitely not the same anymore.
I find myself rolling my eyes pretty often with the amount of sneering woke-isms, shoehorned in where they're definitely not needed.
You're dead right about Hogwarts Legacy.
I'd of had a sliver of respect if they'd at least explained their decision/stance on the matter.
At least stand by your obvious insinuation that "Jk is a Transphobe/Terf!" nonsense.

Last edited:
I still glance at their opinions though and I find them worthwhile most of the time.
And this is why the best way to view Edge is to look at any lesser known/unknown game that they give a score of 7 or above and take it as a recommendation to at least check it out.

That's more productive and people will feel better doing that than doing the alternative of getting upset every month that they didn't score a game around the average range of other reviewers, as some form of validation.

Freeman76

I actually like their review system, about the only publication that actually uses scoring properly. 5 doesnt mean its a steaming pile of dogwank, its an average game. Most ppl dont like it cos they were raised on hyperbole

Yerd

It's like we have different numbers or something.

Most people understand a scale from 1 - 10.

When you rate your sexually desired creature (This scoring system of 1 - 10 probably got it's wings this way)of any gender, a 5 is a dog. A 6 is barely better than a 5. A 7 you can be seen in public without embarrassment.

Now I'm only coming into this conversation in passing. I have never read Edge. I have no idea how they explain their scoring system. But, based on comments here, it seems like their system is wildly different than anyone else that uses the same numbers. I was amused when someone said a 6 is a very good score.

zeldaring

Banned

When you rate your sexually desired creature (This scoring system of 1 - 10 probably got it's wings this way)of any gender, a 5 is a dog. A 6 is barely better than a 5. A 7 you can be seen in public without embarrassment.

Now I'm only coming into this conversation in passing. I have never read Edge. I have no idea how they explain their scoring system. But, based on comments here, it seems like their system is wildly different than anyone else that uses the same numbers. I was amused when someone said a 6 is a very good score.
lol that's just their fans defending the scoring system because their tastes are similar.

It's because they both 1) use the full scale and 2) are highly opinionated. Based on your description of the scoring system, anything under 6 might as well be in one big bracket. When someone tells me what you've just stated, it means that the scoring system should not even bother having a 1-5 and should instead switch to a 5-star rating system.

Whenever I review a game on this forum I prefer using letter grades, because those are the easiest to communicate. A 5/10 will always 'appear' worse to more people than 3/5 stars. And 3/5 stars will usually appear worse to more people than seeing a 'C' letter grade.

I don't want to chalk this up to just Edge, because in the 90s GameFan and Gamepro used to be extremely critical of games too, and I'm sure if social media were more present back then, those two would be the ones getting the most flak along with Edge. GamePro's iconography had solved this 5/10 and 3/5 problem long ago by using distinct icons to express what the score meant.

Gamepro%27s+Rating+System

2073909-img_0504.jpg

Growing up I distinctly remember seeing the yellow/green smiling face way more often than the orange or red, but there are people here who would try and convince you otherwise and will champion older games that were just seen as an alright 3/5 title back then. And that's ok 🤷‍♂️ because 3/5 didn't mean bad.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Sounds like they're keeping it going for the cachet - most other mags closed years ago but Edge is their halo product. Ads for Future products represent a page that their ad manager couldn't sell. We'd set aside X page each month, and if the ads person failed to sell them then we'd ask around the other mags for a house ad, which brings in zero revenue.
Very true. Most peeps said Games TM was better than EDGE and I'd be inclined to agree - but as I've said a hundred times, Future took over Imagine and shut down Games TM - kill your heroes or something like that.

phant0m

It's definitely not the same anymore.
I find myself rolling my eyes pretty often with the amount of sneering woke-isms, shoehorned in where they're definitely not needed.
You're dead right about Hogwarts Legacy.
I'd of had a sliver of respect if they'd at least explained their decision/stance on the matter.
At least stand by your obvious insinuation that "Jk is a Transphobe/Terf!" nonsense.
written gaming journalism as a whole is just a lost cause at this point imo. it used to be people that has been playing SNES since they were 8 and had a passion for the medium as a whole, its history, and progression. they didn't have a social media following, they just loved video games.

now its filled with people that care more about imparting their sociopolitical beliefs in relation to that medium. their "unique slant" is how does this game serve the LGBTQ+ community? how does it related to the me too movment & BLM? no published (like, an editor looked it over and greenlit) piece exemplifies this more than WIRED's review of Hogwarts. 1/10. I won't be linking it to give them any hits. It was played by someone that very obviously played the game for no more than an hour (if at all), but was not there to give the game a fair assessment in any shape or form. Just wanted to absolutely blast it because they dislike the IP's originator.

but whatever, it's fine. reviews have evolved from a written format into a video one, and there are multiple YT reviewers that actually still assess games from a gamer's point of view, not twitter's.

Last edited:

calistan

Very true. Most peeps said Games TM was better than EDGE and I'd be inclined to agree - but as I've said a hundred times, Future took over Imagine and shut down Games TM - kill your heroes or something like that.
Most people? Games TM was little more than a piss-poor Edge impersonator, and despite being pitched more at the mass market it sold a lot less than the real thing.

Also, just look at it (not that you can, since it's long dead, but maybe search for a few scans). Whatever people think of Edge's review scores and pretentiousness, it has always had extremely talented designers. The covers in particular benefit from that, plus the lack of pressure to sell via coverlines.

Yerd

It's because they both 1) use the full scale and 2) are highly opinionated. Based on your description of the scoring system, anything under 6 might as well be in one big bracket. When someone tells me what you've just stated, it means that the scoring system should not even bother having a 1-5 and should instead switch to a 5-star rating system.

Whenever I review a game on this forum I prefer using letter grades, because those are the easiest to communicate. A 5/10 will always 'appear' worse to more people than 3/5 stars. And 3/5 stars will usually appear worse to more people than seeing a 'C' letter grade.

I don't want to chalk this up to just Edge, because in the 90s GameFan and Gamepro used to be extremely critical of games too, and I'm sure if social media were more present back then, those two would be the ones getting the most flak along with Edge. GamePro's iconography had solved this 5/10 and 3/5 problem long ago by using distinct icons to express what the score meant.

Growing up I distinctly remember seeing the yellow/green smiling face way more often than the orange or red, but there are people here who would try and convince you otherwise and will champion older games that were just seen as an alright 3/5 title back then. And that's ok 🤷‍♂️ because 3/5 didn't mean bad.
That gamepro scale is exactly the same as 1-10.

I have no problem playing games that are probably ranked a 5. There is some fun to be had, but any lower is a real shaky situation and it's a waste of money. You need to know games in the turd list, so you don't waste any money. For me, I'm not going for anything under a 5, unless there is something deeply in my hit list. I love metroidvanias and I will try out some turds. A lot of times games will be reviewed poorly because of performance problems, which doesn't affect me terribly. Are people really excited for an Edge reviewed game ranked 1-4? That score is a bad score which equates to a bad game.

I don't read media reviews. I take a look at games and can pretty much know if I will like it or not. I glance at scores on metacritic for a game that interests me. I will look at something that I haven't heard of because it has a high score and avoid the lows. There are an endless supply of games and missing a gem isn't that big a deal. If I see a big to do about a game I avoided, it will be on sale and I'll buy it, maybe.

I mostly play games on PC, so a game that is on steam you can read the positive and negative reviews. I will read the negatives to get an idea what is bad about it. The video will usually show me all the positives. I stopped reading reviews for console games. On playstation I only play the exclusives and those are almost never a waste of money. Though I still don't buy them until they are discounted, and lately I am trying to hold out for hopes that they are on PC.

Hero_Select

Surprised usually anything Nintendo is a 9 or 10
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 10
Kirby’s Return To Dream Land Deluxe – 7
Fire Emblem Engage – 7
Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 7
Splatoon 3 – 7
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – 8
Bayonetta 3 – 9
Mario Strikers: Battle League – 5
Nintendo Switch Sports – 8

So many 9's and 10's :pie_unamused:

zeldaring

Banned
Edge has given 1 Nintendo game a 10 in the last 5 years.

I don’t recall them being generous with 9’s either.

You might be confusing them with another magazine.
Most of the reviews since for the last decade have been around Metracritic average or higher for Nintendo games while almost every other developer gets shit on. honestly looking at the reviews now its seems like they have a huge bias to some franchises and hate most other AAA games. Nintendo, and fromsoftware big games are usually scoring 9's or 10s. then you have game that ran horrible bayonetta 2 wiiu and 3 getting 9s and 10s.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
then you have game that ran horrible bayonetta 2 wiiu and 3 getting 9s and 10s.
Like I tried to tell you, I don't think they care that much about high production values.

The score for Bayonetta 3 is because of how original and unique the Demon Slave system is. It's never been done before. Imagine the scripted FFXVI battles when you "control" a summon, only you can do that at any point in the game and they have in depth movesets that mix in with the normal player character. It's on a totally different level. And it's not even made by Nintendo.

zeldaring

Banned
Like I tried to tell you, I don't think they care that much about high production values.

The score for Bayonetta 3 is because of how original and unique the Demon Slave system is. It's never been done before. Imagine the scripted FFXVI battles when you "control" a summon, only you can do that at any point in the game and they have in depth movesets that mix in with the normal player character. It's on a totally different level. And it's not even made by Nintendo.
They gave bayonetta 2 a 10 though lol. don't really care why they gave bayonetta 3 a 9 its just if you gonna be picky on most games then be consistent.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They gave bayonetta 2 a 10 though lol. don't really care why they gave bayonetta 3 a 9 its just if you gonna be picky on most games then be consistent.
I gave it a 10 as well and felt it was robbed that year for GOTY 🤷‍♂️. The whole game is bananas. I'm still shocked Dragon Age Inquisition won at most outlets that year.

I had no idea anyone thought differently about Bayonetta 2 until years later and now I hear lots of people trashing it, mostly on here.

xrnzaaas

Supernatural just means more options for advanced tactics. Theyve never done it so Im excited for it.
Yes it could mean more options, but it's also much harder to balance the game so that single characters and abilities aren't too op. And they've already made that mistake with Isabelle's entire skillset in Desperados 3.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I gave it a 10 as well and felt it was robbed that year for GOTY 🤷‍♂️. The whole game is bananas. I'm still shocked Dragon Age Inquisition won at most outlets that year.

I had no idea anyone thought differently about Bayonetta 2 until years later and now I hear lots of people trashing it, mostly on here.
I'm not a fan, and no action game that runs like crap deserves even a 9 imo. I vastly prefer ninja gaiden, GOW, and darks souls style of combat then games where you just basically just pulling off combos, and the enemies are not aggressive like DMC, FF16, and bayonetta.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not a fan, and no action game that runs like crap deserves even a 9 imo. I vastly prefer ninja gaiden, GOW, and darks souls style of combat then games where you just basically just pulling off combos, and the enemies are not aggressive like DMC, FF16, and bayonetta.
I vastly prefer Ninja Gaiden, so we have that in common. Always have. But for some reason, I was blown away by Bayonetta 2. I need to revisit it since its been 9 years. I always viewed it as more of a casual spectacle fighter with depth. Reminds me of the pure bombastic fun you can find in many older arcade games. Ninja Gaiden is a totally different thing.

zeldaring

Banned
I vastly prefer Ninja Gaiden, so we have that in common. Always have. But for some reason, I was blown away by Bayonetta 2. I need to revisit it since its been 9 years. I always viewed it as more of a casual spectacle fighter with depth. Reminds me of the pure bombastic fun you can find in many older arcade games. Ninja Gaiden is a totally different thing.
Keep in mind it was the wiiu version the scored a 10, and ran around 40-60fos and that just doesn't feel good for. a fast paced acton game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Keep in mind it was the wiiu version the scored a 10, and ran around 40-60fos and that just doesn't feel good for. a fast paced acton game.

I'm aware. It was a Wii U exclusive. I don't think they mark games down for things like production values.

Destructoid also gave it a 10 and it was one of the main guys I trust on action games.

zeldaring

Banned
I'm aware. It was a Wii U exclusive. I don't think they mark games down for things like production values.

Destructoid also gave it a 10 and it was one of the main guys I trust on action games.
That's not really production values when the game is running like shit. That's just bad performance which effects gameplay.

Sojiro

Not to mention that Pikmin 4 is one of the best Nintendo games ever...
Lol yeah, I am over here all grumpy because they scored it a 7! It is what it is though, Pikmin 4 is fucking phenomenal though, pick this game up people!

Bayonetta 2 was GotY on the forum you're currently posting on and has a 91 on metacritic for the Wii U version with quite a few perfect or near perfect scores. Polygon scored it lower because they felt it was over-sexualized, not due to frame dips.

zeldaring

Banned
Bayonetta 2 was GotY on the forum you're currently posting on and has a 91 on metacritic for the Wii U version with quite a few perfect or near perfect scores. Polygon scored it lower because they felt it was over-sexualized, not due to frame dips.
ok that's nice do you know whey gave the GOTY here for 2020 a 6 lol. like i said they are constantly shitting on games that people love so if they gonna be picky be consistent. Action game thats all about action running at 40-60fps doesn't deserve a 10.

Top Bottom