• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking the same thing. Armin could have probably sung that better than him.

That Armin set was awesome. Wish I was in Den Bosch right now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, it's been really poppy so far. He also isn't even trying to look like he's mixing, he's got his hands in the air like 85% of the time.

L1NETT

Found some good songs off this Lan Sander podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VmQVuurm2o

Full Tracklist.

Intro Song - DubVision : Redux (Original Mix)

Lan Sander - Caliber (Original Mix)
Alesso & Sebastian Ingrosso vs Jakob Lido - Calling Eli (Lan Sander Bootleg)
Synchronice, Avicii & Nicky Romero - I Could Be The Bass (3LAU Bootleg)
Husko - Voyager (Original Mix)
Paris Blohm ft. Angel Taylor - Presence (Original Mix)
Coldplay vs OneRepublic vs Otto Knows (Thomas Gold Bootleg) - Apologize and Fix Your Million Voices (SPd Reboot & Lan Sander edit)
Nari & Milani - Atom (Original Mix)
Henrix & Jakob Lido Ft. Zashanell - Close Your Eyes (Original Mix)
Dada Life vs Hardwell - Feed The Spaceman (Lan Sander Bootleg)
Vincenzo Callea vs William Naraine - Turn Off The Lights (Ivan Gough Remix)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
From Andy Moor's Facebook:

"If I was going to design the PS4 controller..."

5547_10151504314033400_40982920_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So, what was everyone's EDM "gateway" song(s) or artist(s)?

When I was in middle school I remember listening to really cheesy stuff like Heaven by DJ Sammy and Castles in the Sky by Ian Van Dahl and really liking them, but the first "real" artists I remember liking were actually Tiesto and Armin around my freshman/sophomore years of high school.

I really liked Suburban Train, Burned With Desire, Shivers, Adagio for Strings...I also remember listening to some Daft Punk, Paul Oakenfold and Astral Projection. Oh and Halcyon + On + On, loved that track.

I sort of stopped after that for a while, and then got back into it again after college when I had a chance to see Tiesto live. I decided to go to Ultra the following year, and have been hooked ever since.

Ashhong

I can't remember. It might have been DDR lol. I got really into some of those songs (vocal songs of course). Then my friend started making breakbeats and I was always a fan and loved that music. Stopped listening to EDM for a few years as I got into Kanye and hip hop, and now I'm back in it ever since EDC 2010.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I can't remember. It might have been DDR lol. I got really into some of those songs (vocal songs of course). Then my friend started making breakbeats and I was always a fan and loved that music. Stopped listening to EDM for a few years as I got into Kanye and hip hop, and now I'm back in it ever since EDC 2010.

I gravitated to hip-hop as well in the interim (I still like it), and I loved DDR.

D23

When I was in middle school I remember listening to really cheesy stuff like Heaven by DJ Sammy and Castles in the Sky by Ian Van Dahl and really liking them, but the first "real" artists I remember liking were actually Tiesto and Armin around my freshman/sophomore years of high school.

I really liked Suburban Train, Burned With Desire, Shivers, Adagio for Strings...I also remember listening to some Daft Punk, Paul Oakenfold and Astral Projection. Oh and Halcyon + On + On, loved that track.

I sort of stopped after that for a while, and then got back into it again after college when I had a chance to see Tiesto live. I decided to go to Ultra the following year, and have been hooked ever since.

my friends dragged me to this rave called "beyond wonderland" a few years ago.. Tiesto, gareth emery and some other top 10 dj mag artist were there

ever since then, im addicted to edm and been listening to a lot of "mainstream" progressive house and "mainstream" trance
i put the word mainstream since a lot of elitist will call me out if i listed "kaskade" or "avicii" as a house

before then, i listen to some cheesy stuff like u listed there.. heaven, castles in the sky...
untz untz untz

jambo

I think it was stuff like Prodigy and the like that a few older kids that I knew were listening to, plus a lot of the mid 90s video games with electronic sound tracks sure helped.

Nemesis_

My first was ATB. I think he remains one of my favourites, if only for nostalgic value but I enjoy most of his older stuff more than his latest stuff. Though he has some bops in between. I'm pretty sure my first was ATB, at least. Most of the Tiff Lacey stuff was my main thing. Cheesy but very good - it was the soundtrack for me travelling with my parents as a teenager. So there's that attachment too.

Pendulum and Prodigy were the two huge ones when I was going through high school though. Pendulum are/were actually from the same area as we attended school, which was cool. Oh, and Daft Punk of course :p

I've since branched out to SO many different kinds of artists, it's kind of crazy. I'm more into the female vocalist songs, but I like almost anything.

Nemesis_

Any good drum n bass recommendations?

I'm not sure if Pendulum is considered good anymore, but I used to listen to them a lot in high school (as did everyone else). Their debut was Hold Your Colour though their other albums are okay (actually, less cheesy)

It's probably the only genre I haven't been catching up on and kind of lost interest in.

Ashhong

My first was ATB. I think he remains one of my favourites, if only for nostalgic value but I enjoy most of his older stuff more than his latest stuff. Though he has some bops in between. I'm pretty sure my first was ATB, at least. Most of the Tiff Lacey stuff was my main thing. Cheesy but very good - it was the soundtrack for me travelling with my parents as a teenager. So there's that attachment too.

Pendulum and Prodigy were the two huge ones when I was going through high school though. Pendulum are/were actually from the same area as we attended school, which was cool. Oh, and Daft Punk of course :p

I've since branched out to SO many different kinds of artists, it's kind of crazy. I'm more into the female vocalist songs, but I like almost anything.

*brofist

Nemesis_

Black Sun Empire's track "Arrakis" give me Mortal Kombat (and later on Mass Effect) vibes with those chimes and synths. I totally forgot about them.

I really love EDM tracks that have this kind of ethereal / haunting / creepy quality to them. Dunno why.

*re-listens*

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Suburban Train absolutely BLEW MY MIND the first time I heard it back in 2001. I knew of him from Gouryella (my first time hearing of him) and his remix of Silence, but after hearing both Suburban Train and Flight 643 I ran out and bought every single thing I could find with Tiesto's name on it.

My gateway into electronic music is pretty vague... since when I was little I used to listen to Hot 103.5, a NYC station that used to play R&B and 80's synthpop, it was here I heard a lot of freestyle songs that I really enjoyed. I was in particular love for this song, Information Society - What's On Your Mind. Funny enough, in the late 80's the station changed frequencies to 97.1 and changed formats to hiphop during the burgeoning of that genre, now they are known as one of the world's most famous hiphop stations (Hot 97).

So after that I went into a lot of hard rock/metal, but there was the occasional dance song that I liked... I just didn't really know of genre names or anything. "Dance Music" was something I always associated with C&C Music Factory or SNAP!. Later, the pop/Adult Contemporary radio station would play the occasional house track... Madonna's "Vogue" and especially the Todd Terry mix of Everything But The Girl's "Missing". Hearing about a nascent genre of music called "techno" from EGM of all places piqued my curiosity (I've always been very interested in the future, sci-fi, outer space... so just the name sold me).

But my first electronic album was "UFOrb" by The Orb. A friend whose brother lived in Britain was telling me about them and I was curious. So I got it off a whim from one of those BMG promotions "8 CDs for the price of 1" you may remember from the mid 90's. Absolutely loved it and became a fan. Later, on the schoolbus ride to HS they would play a new radio station, KTU 103.5, that at its onset played non-stop eurodance. Aqua, La Bouche, Real McCoy, Sash!... it was those eurodance songs and meeting a new friend at HS who was into electronic music where it really took off for me. That friend made me cassette tapes with all these popular dance songs at the time, through him I heard of artists like Robert Miles, Faithless, and some French guys named Daft Punk... eventually we both started getting into trance and progressive, reading imported dance mags like Mixmag and DJ, taking their advice and buying mixcomps from DJs like Paul Oakenfold, Ferry Corsten, Carl Cox, Sasha, and John Digweed. Once I heard Stardust's "Music Sounds Better With You" I knew right then and there that house music was my absolute favorite, something that still holds true 15 years later.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I figured I should post about my favorite group of all time, Hybrid. Thanks to John Rabbit's Underworld post for providing a good template idea for this!

HYBRID
WvbS5ke.jpg

Who are Hybrid?
Currently, Hybrid is comprised of Mike Truman, Chris Healings and Charlotte James on vocals. They are well known for their epic orchestral tracks, all pretty much using a real orchestra. Their tracks range from breaks to house to trance and even movie scores over the years. They are also pretty well known for doing a lot of remixes.

Thanks for posting. Been listening on Spotify and indeed some really good stuff.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

please don't shoot me

Eiffel 65

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ELECTRIC ZOO HEADLINERS!!

pL2QOcf.png

I am happy.

Much more exciting than EDC lineup so far... but what I really can't wait to see is the Sunday School tent lineup :O

Gonna order EZoo tickets a bit later in the week. Got some interviews to practice for now!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Krewella gets a spot, yet not one D&B DJ. Sheesh.

Well these are just the headliners, I'm sure once they announce the full lineup you'll find a bunch of DnB sets. I just don't think DnB is popular enough to warrant a headliner spot unfortunately.

I get the feeling I will have to endure Krewella just to see W&W and Zedd and not lose my spot...

daviyoung

Banned

My dad's collection of Sky and ELO tapes played a big part of my formative years. Especially the 1981 album Time which featured electronic instruments in every song. I took that cassette and played it until it got caught in the player, thankfully CDs were available then.

My first foray into EDM though, was Lil Louis - French Kiss

MY friend borrowed the vinyl from his 'DJ' older step brother so that we could lol at the massive orgasm in the breakdown. We were 8.

After that came The Grid - Swamp Thing and The Prodigy's No Good (Start The Dance) along with Oakenfold's Goa Essential Mix.

I bought CDs with my paper round money: St Etienne, Faithless, BT, BBE, Hybrid, PvD. First came trance, then came progressive house. I did my best to collect GU and Renaissance comps but sucked at it. Thankfully by this time the internet was a thing and Napster and Kazaa were full of wrongly named MP3s for me to download. The rest is history.

Well these are just the headliners, I'm sure once they announce the full lineup you'll find a bunch of DnB sets. I just don't think DnB is popular enough to warrant a headliner spot unfortunately.

I get the feeling I will have to endure Krewella just to see W&W and Zedd and not lose my spot...

I can name at least three D&B DJs that are far more deserving of a headliner spot than Krewella.

Ashhong

so guys,

do yourself a favor and checkout

UMMET OZCAN ASOT 600 Den Bosch set

https://soundcloud.com/asot600livese...osh-06-04-2013

WOW, thats all i can say, if u guys like W&W then u gonna love this set!!

i need to see this guy asap

Hmm I listened to this earlier and wasn't too keen on it. I'll have to give it another listen.

Much more exciting than EDC lineup so far... but what I really can't wait to see is the Sunday School tent lineup :O

Gonna order EZoo tickets a bit later in the week. Got some interviews to practice for now!

What have they released for the EDC lineup? The Ezoo lineup doesn't look like anything special imo, pretty standard massive lineup, comparable to almost all of Insomniac's shows.

Krewella needs to be opener though, AT BEST. Them over W&W? Fuck that.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Krewella needs to be opener though, AT BEST. Them over W&W? Fuck that.

I can name at least three D&B DJs that are far more deserving of a headliner spot than Krewella.

This is just Main Stage, guys. There are 3 other tents with full lineups that haven't been announced yet. Each will have its own style and headliners, probably that vary by day as well. Traditionally, main stages are almost always about massive, mainstream-friendly DJs.

Top Bottom