• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

see5harp

It’s kinda crazy how soon you gotta buy tickets to these festivals. I mean next summer feels so far away and I feel like I’ve already spent a gang of money on vacations and trips. Coachella is like a half a year away and they want money for edc already?

Aomber

But how do I even wake up at 8am? The struggle. I just love this song so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG8h4CjxRQ

Anybody have suggestions for similar? Love how dark and moody it is. Feels like some Prydz stuff. Or maybe it's Pryda? idk

Really like that Yotto track. Off the top of my head, Lane 8 and Maceo Plex would fit similar feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0QTlrTpUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBIZOiSaxA

And yes you do wanna go to that set :D

Ixian

It's kinda crazy how soon you gotta buy tickets to these festivals. I mean next summer feels so far away and I feel like I've already spent a gang of money on vacations and trips. Coachella is like a half a year away and they want money for edc already?
Eh, these past couple of years EDC has been taking a long time to sell out (if it even does) and I'm sure people will be selling theirs for cheap when the date comes closer. :p That said, we bought ours "just in case" even though we're hoping the Live Nation Festival Passport makes a comeback next year.

bah so tempted after hearing all the changes, but I think I'm going to wait until 2019 for them to work out the kinks. The transportation this year scarred me.

The new camping going to be interesting and moving it to May. I'm not sure if I want to go this year for the same reason. Let them work out the kink/fuckery then I can go the following year.

For as many times that I have gone to EDC it still boggle my mind how they can't figure out a efficient shuttle system. It's always a nightmare.

TVexperto

I feel bad for yall. Tomorrowland, Mysteryland etc. are so good organized. Especially tomorrowland which is the biggest here in europe. I walked 5 minutes from the festival site to parking and I was on the highway 10 minutes later.

Aomber

I feel bad for yall. Tomorrowland, Mysteryland etc. are so good organized. Especially tomorrowland which is the biggest here in europe. I walked 5 minutes from the festival site to parking and I was on the highway 10 minutes later.
Haha yeah I was gonna say edc's shuttle was terrible compared to Tomorrowland, that's one thing that turned me off EDC, at TL I'd just walk out the back of my hotel and I was on a shuttle and at the festival within 30-45 minutes.

see5harp

Eh, these past couple of years EDC has been taking a long time to sell out (if it even does) and I'm sure people will be selling theirs for cheap when the date comes closer. :p That said, we bought ours "just in case" even though we're hoping the Live Nation Festival Passport makes a comeback next year.

Okay cool. I’m actually not sure if I wanna take the plunge yet so I’ll guess I’ll wait. I usually get a lot more mileage out of the more general festivals.

Hm..... Angello's Genesis EP is kind of cool, I guess. It's more Synthwave-y than House though. Nothing wrong with that. It's too preachy for me, at least Rejoice is (should expect that since it is titled 'Genesis: Act 1' and by his interview).

Eh/10

mr stroke

Back from Vegas (Life is Beautiful festival) and I gotta rant about current Trap music. What a joke this genre has become. As someone who somewhat enjoys Trap (deeper stuff) all these sets sound like broken records.

-Ekali
30 mins in I've heard-RL Grime "Core", Flostradamus "Mosh Pit", & A$AP ferg "New level"

we leave, walk to the smaller side stage, I kid you not "RL Grime-Core" again 10 min later "Mosh pit"

Next day we go see TROYBOI- 10 mins in "A$AP Ferg-New Level"

All this while every DJ is screaming on the mic.

I don't know if this is inherently a problem with the style of music its self ? (All based off of drops and chorus) or if the majority of Trap DJ's suck?

I enjoy Trap (EDM) in short bursts..... Actually, I only enjoy the Yellow Claw kind of Trap. The Dutch kind that has Hardstyle influences. So I can't really enjoy a Trap set no matter what :shrugs:

But the same thing does apply to Mainstage for me. Most of that shit is just the same tracks being played but set up differently. It's frankly boring.

"Everybody put your hands up! Come on, come on! Are.... You..... Ready?! 3..... 3...... 2....... 3, 2, 1 Jump!!"

Aomber

Yeah I'm the same, if there's like a couple trap tracks thrown into a set it's cool but I cannot for the life of me stand a full trap set

Ashhong

Really like that Yotto track. Off the top of my head, Lane 8 and Maceo Plex would fit similar feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0QTlrTpUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBIZOiSaxA

And yes you do wanna go to that set :D

Love me some Yotto :)

Lane 8, Amtrac, Bob Moses, Hayden James, Eli & Fur, Kidnap Kid(Aba with Lane 8 is probably my track of 2017)

Thanks, guess I'll be listening to more deep house. Loved his set too. I had way more fun than I thought I would. Grooving all night. Was dead at work though....That was rough

see5harp

Back from Vegas (Life is Beautiful festival) and I gotta rant about current Trap music. What a joke this genre has become. As someone who somewhat enjoys Trap (deeper stuff) all these sets sound like broken records.

-Ekali
30 mins in I've heard-RL Grime "Core", Flostradamus "Mosh Pit", & A$AP ferg "New level"

we leave, walk to the smaller side stage, I kid you not "RL Grime-Core" again 10 min later "Mosh pit"

I don't know if this is inherently a problem with the style of music its self ? (All based off of drops and chorus) or if the majority of Trap DJ's suck?

These dudes play way too much of the same shit over and over. I was in that pit for Ekali and still had a good time. Troiboi was pretty fun though. I was basically on the rail. I saw Mura Masa at Coachella and was bored. I much prefer DJ's like Dixon who will actually spin and mix together a bunch of different music but you aren't going to get that sorta stuff at a festival like LiB and if you do get something like that at Coachella or FYF, there's way too many other bands playing to spend 4 hours inside dancing. I think the large majority of youth don't really care about dancing so much, they just want music to get wild too. The best sets in that tent that weekend were def Pretty Lights and Bonobo.

Ashhong

”Golden days with tiesto" is triggering the old man in me lol.

:)

Was watching Armin's documentary "Mr Perfect" and hearing Communication come on, and showing Tiesto playing trance triggered me too.

I need to go back to that era and listen to everything again. Anybody have a favorite mix or something from that time? The best ISOS maybe?

see5harp

:)

Was watching Armin's documentary "Mr Perfect" and hearing Communication come on, and showing Tiesto playing trance triggered me too.

I need to go back to that era and listen to everything again. Anybody have a favorite mix or something from that time? The best ISOS maybe?

What I meant was that I'm even older. And golden days of trance for someone like me is like Paul Oakenfold. Or Sasha and Digweed. The Global Underground series. Stuff like that.

Aomber

I don't understand it. How is Prydz so good? Every single song is just made so impeccably, and have this weird quality to them that really stands out. I can't explain it. It just sounds full. This reminds me of like the golden days with Tiësto. I would kill for more

There's a reason for that - outside of the composition itself it's because Prydz properly mixes his tracks (mixing is the practice of balancing and making adjustments to each individual sound & instrument so they all fit together), uses hardware instead of software, etc.

To be completely blunt, proper sound engineering is an art that's not always respected in mainstream EDM. I know because I've seen several studio sessions of professional EDM producers who have no clue what they're doing, so much that I've seen guys who don't even know what the most basic of tools are for mixing. There are literally guys who make a profession just being a mixing engineer and a lot of EDM producers think nothing of it, so when something in this medium is properly done it sounds particularly good. Deadmau5 is one of the best examples of a guy who really understands that art, there's a reason he has such a fancy studio with all that equipment, it's because he goes the extra mile for his tracks to sound the best, and it pays off.

Ashhong

There's a reason for that - outside of the composition itself it's because Prydz properly mixes his tracks (mixing is the practice of balancing and making adjustments to each individual sound & instrument so they all fit together), uses hardware instead of software, etc.

To be completely blunt, proper sound engineering is an art that's not always respected in mainstream EDM. I know because I've seen several studio sessions of professional EDM producers who have no clue what they're doing, so much that I've seen guys who don't even know what the most basic of tools are for mixing. There are literally guys who make a profession just being a mixing engineer and a lot of EDM producers think nothing of it, so when something in this medium is properly done it sounds particularly good. Deadmau5 is one of the best examples of a guy who really understands that art, there's a reason he has such a fancy studio with all that equipment, it's because he goes the extra mile for his tracks to sound the best, and it pays off.

Their loss. His songs all sound fucking great, and I think a large part of it is the mixing. What a legend.

Aomber

This is a pretty sweet album, would recommend checking it out if you're looking for some disco, electro, funky music. There's not a ton to say about it because it's kinda samey throughout and feels like a playlist album, but if you dig their style the whole thing is pretty solid. Really like the De La Soul track as the one track that truly feels different for Oliver.

The album is called Full Circle

cqeN9YM.jpg

Ixian

-Ekali

I'm really disliking this aspect of the shows I've been going to as well. I actually like going hard at events but the constant DJs yelling, same edits of the same thirty second clips of songs, etc. is getting boring. LED events in San Diego are particularly notorious for this but it's happening elsewhere too. I was really happy to discover some new (to me) stuff at Nocturnal like Haywyre and Ducky.

Sai-kun

Banned
Not strictly EDM, but Blue Hawaii have just put out their third album, titled Tenderness. It’s an album about connection, and it has some softer tracks, but a lot of it is pretty danceable and the House jams have me shook

Top Bottom