• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM August 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Shawn

Banned
It doesn't make sense to me why two reviewers gave Metal Gear Solid 4 A-minuses. I would have expected the game to get all A-pluses. What didn't they like about the game?

skip

Shawn said:
It doesn't make sense to me why two reviewers gave Metal Gear Solid 4 A-minuses. I would have expected the game to get all A-pluses. What didn't they like about the game?

for me, it was not enough graphics.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
15pl72s.jpg

It's on.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
skip said:
for me, it was not enough graphics.
I agree. It totally needs more scrolls.

Also, the FFIV DS review cites the added difficulty as a good thing. Not that simple things like "facts" and "context" would deter people around here from rushing to make insulting judgments, of course.

Shawn said:

They probably just weren't playing the game on TV that produces deep, true blacks.

I kid. Seriously, I love the game, but it's not perfect. These reviews are written for everybody, not just fans, and let's face it, most people playing MGS4 as their first experience with the franchise will be lost and confused by the story. Easily enough to make an A into an A-. These are still great scores.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'd like to see what they said about We Love Golf, Final Fantasy Fables, and Spectral Forces 3. I still can't believe an Idea Factory game for a B-.

Lo-Volt

Vic said:
Were talking about peripherals or consoles?

I assume more peripherals, but it could always be a Hi-Saturn or V-Saturn arrangement that never totally supplanted the Sega produced models in the market.

LCfiner

Shawn said:

I really wish this post was a joke. it's just fucking sad.

why so low?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
shintoki said:
COVER STORY ON BAYANOTE!!!!

I'm pleased ^_^
Just curious, did you mangle the hell out of that on purpose? I mean like, is it a meme I missed?

Shawn

Banned
I really wish this post was a joke. it's just fucking sad.

why so low?
No, sir -- it's no joke.

A 90%-93% or 9.0 (on a scale of 1 to 10 in .5 increments) or an A-minus is low for a Metal Gear Solid console game -- just as it would be low for a Zelda console game.

Moray

Shawn said:
No, sir -- it's no joke.

A 90%-93% or 9.0 (on a scale of 1 to 10 in .5 increments) or an A-minus is low for a Metal Gear Solid console game -- just as it would be low for a Zelda console game.

No it's not, MG3 has a 91.5 on gamerankings.

LCfiner

Shawn said:
No, sir -- it's no joke.

My God... do you really think these tiny percentile differences matter?

Here's the MGS4 review from EGM in a nutshell: REALLY FUCKING GOOD. Attaching a number to that statement and fixating on it is just mental masturbation.

I hope all gamers can grow out of this myopic vision of numbers, numbers, numbers. it's embarrassing.

Yagharek

Kratos in Soul Calibur 4? :lol holy shit

If he won and got a hold of Soul Edge, it would be the sword that got corrupted, not Kratos. Inferno should be afraid ...... very afraid :lol

I just hope they keep true to his weapons. But Im guessing we wont be flailing chains all around the arena except for special moves.

Barakov

LCfiner said:
My God... do you really think these tiny percentile differences matter?

Here's the MGS4 review from EGM in a nutshell: REALLY FUCKING GOOD. Attaching a number to that statement and fixating on it is just mental masturbation.

I hope all gamers can grow out of this myopic vision of numbers, numbers, numbers. it's embarrassing.

Well since this is gaf, I'm going to say that has a 0.000456789547383% chance of happening.

LCfiner

Barakov said:
Well since this is gaf, I'm going to say that has a 0.000456789547383% chance of happening.

:lol :lol yeah, you're right.

On a less OCD note, Kratos in SCIV would make the PS3 version even more of a lock over the 360 if it isn't already (Vader, Kratos, workable D-pad on default controller). I hope that rumor is real.

And I have to wonder, is there any more KZ2 info aside from the little bit that's been posted already? My issue should be arriving soon and I'm waiting for some more reports of how the game plays. So far, I only recall N'Gai having any hands on impressions of the first person cover system. it sounded cool.

_Angelus_

Banned
A 360 price cut spells good news.
4 of my buds want a 360 but are waiting for it to drop in price.
I'd better make room in my list for 4 new Live names.
:D

MoxManiac

Mrbob said:
Shit I thought Shawn was joking.

Gamerankings and metacritic are so awesome. Yes, this is sarcasm.

Despite the things he says, Shawn is never joking. Ever. I can see how you made that mistake though.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
RandomVince said:
Kratos in Soul Calibur 4? :lol holy shit

If he won and got a hold of Soul Edge, it would be the sword that got corrupted, not Kratos. Inferno should be afraid ...... very afraid :lol

I just hope they keep true to his weapons. But Im guessing we wont be flailing chains all around the arena except for special moves.

Too true hell the blade would try to break it self just to get away. :D

Kratos? I'd be happy if that happened, but I doubt it. Also, what about...

Nariko? Dante? Sparda? Ryuu? Lenneth? Raikou?

If we're gonna be guest character happy then let's get some guests we can care about!

EDIT:: Ooooo, Kaim would be a good one too.

I wonder who the biker character in the GTA IV DLC will be? Maybe someone who was encountered during the game?
The first character who came to mind for some reason was Faustin's daughter's boyfriend. But he's dead

LCfiner said:
And I have to wonder, is there any more KZ2 info aside from the little bit that's been posted already? My issue should be arriving soon and I'm waiting for some more reports of how the game plays. So far, I only recall N'Gai having any hands on impressions of the first person cover system. it sounded cool.
I'm looking forward to hearing how it plays too, but N'Gai and Shane aren't the people whose opinions I personally put a lot of stock in concerning the feel of a FPS.

jmd494

snack said:
Where's the KZ2 info? I am not talking the couple of tidbits on the last page, I WANT IT ALL!

Please?
Yeah...this thread definitely needs more Killzone! :D

Edit: But thanks for the thread in the first place!

Clinton514

Justin Dailey said:
Yeah...this thread definitely needs more Killzone! :D

Edit: But thanks for the thread in the first place!
Argh, I'll try to compile all of the interesting Killzone 2 stuff for tomorrow. Maybe someone else will beat me to it, though. So be on the look out.

somebody must have been smokin' teh crack to give an idea factory game that score.

the visuals alone should drop spectral force 3 to at least a c.

Top Bottom