• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Live: 04/16/07 Wii and casual gamers, 360 in retail channels, SPM EMG Review

YYZ

Podcast is now up!

Most GAFers seem to dislike the EGM Live crew, I like these guys. Jenn Tsao is a different kind of host and this podcast is vastly different from 1Up Yours which is a welcome change for Mondays.

Podcast Direct Link

EMG Live Podcast Page

Damnit I goofed on the thread title...

purg3

slept with Malkin
EGM Live said:
This week, the EGM editors tackle a question that's been festering in our minds recently: Is the Wii catering to casual gamers too much and leaving hardcore gamers out of the equation? We discuss/argue/laugh/cry. That's not the only thing that has us worried, though. What's this news about Xbox 360s sitting in retail channels? Hmm. But fear not, it's not all about the stress: We also talk about what games we've been playing this week, and the EGM Review Crew gives its treatment to Super Paper Mario (and Shoe has a few words to them about a game he feels is far too wordy). All this, plus the winner to last week's essay contest and a new question!

Will listen once the link is fixed.

This is supposed to be my thread. This is the only thing I look foward to every week, posting the EGM Live link. Now what am I going to do. Oh the humanity!

bigfatgameguy said:
This is supposed to be my thread. This is the only thing I look foward to every week, posting the EGM Live link. Now what am I going to do. Oh the humanity!

Looks like you have been replaced.

egmfan89

I've been updating my podcast section on itunes for a while this afternoon, and it just went up. EGM live is my second favorite 1up podcast (with GFW being the best), and I actually like it more than 1up yours. Can't wait to listen to it.

I'll probably be ridiculed for asking this but is the EGM pod cast full of swearing like the 1up podcast? I'm new to podcasts and have been listening to 1up and while I really enjoy their comments on the industry I would prefer it without the profanity. Thanks.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Bearillusion said:
I'll probably be ridiculed for asking this but is the EGM pod cast full of swearing like the 1up podcast? I'm new to podcasts and have been listening to 1up and while I really enjoy their comments on the industry I would prefer it without the profanity. Thanks.

It's usually toned down quite a bit in comparison to 1up Yours.

egmfan89

Bearillusion said:

Not as many f-bombs are thrown around and it's generally more wholesome.

Ulairi

Banned
Listened to the podcast and I disagree about the Wii leaving core gamers behind. Look at the released games, the vast majority are for core gamers. They have released wii play and wii sports for the casuals and that's about it. The VC has been for core gamers along with games like SPM.

I am surprised they still don't get it.

teiresias

Ulairi said:
Listened to the podcast and I disagree about the Wii leaving core gamers behind. Look at the released games, the vast majority are for core gamers. They have released wii play and wii sports for the casuals and that's about it. The VC has been for core gamers along with games like SPM.

I am surprised they still don't get it.

Meh, I think it's all perspective. I think the main issue is that while they may be providing games that aren't necessarily strictly for casuals but also are "core gamer"-centric the problem lies in the fact that they essentially aren't new "core gamer" experiences due to the console technology.

If "core gamers" want "core gamer" games they want experiences that the 360 and PS3 can provide by upping the aesthetic and immersive factor of such games - otherwise you're just playing games with last-gen graphics. Stuff like Mario Galaxy may turn the tide, where it should look nicer than alot of Wii stuff, but having been designed around the Wiimote it might have controls intuitive enough that it, along with it being mario, can be a game embraced by both the casual and core gamer set on the Wii.

Drensch

Complaints against Ziff on the Wii are pretty much outlined by this podcast. They bitch about lack of software, but it's fairly obvious that no one has even played anything outside of Zelda and Wii sports.

When they mention SSX blur it's always "Skip played that" , never "Yeah I agree with what Skip said about it, because when I played it..." It always seems like they haven't really played anything other than the big 2. They mentioned Godfather on 1up yours, but no one could actually speak about how it played. Even the much maligned Red Steel, for which there are perfectly valid reasons to dislike, their complaints often seem to be based on something other than their actual play experience. So on and so forth. It's one thing for Skip to say he didn't like SSX, but it's another thing for everyone else to say they don't like SSX or the Wii's line up, when it seems like no one has played anything other than Wii Sports and Zelda.

I'd be interested how many people and how much of the Wii line up they have actually played.And whether or not their opinion of the Wii line up is based on actual play. They give the impression that very little of it actually is.

teiresias said:
Meh, I think it's all perspective. I think the main issue is that while they may be providing games that aren't necessarily strictly for casuals but also are "core gamer"-centric the problem lies in the fact that they essentially aren't new "core gamer" experiences due to the console technology.

If "core gamers" want "core gamer" games they want experiences that the 360 and PS3 can provide by upping the aesthetic and immersive factor of such games - otherwise you're just playing games with last-gen graphics. Stuff like Mario Galaxy may turn the tide, where it should look nicer than alot of Wii stuff, but having been designed around the Wiimote it might have controls intuitive enough that it, along with it being mario, can be a game embraced by both the casual and core gamer set on the Wii.
I think it's very arguable that graphics really separate core gamers and casual gamers. First, what gamer wouldn't want the best graphics in their games? It's a matter of who's willing to spend the money for better graphics. Second, before Wii and DS, the industry was way more targeted at core gamers beside occasional casual hits like The Sims (which could still qualify as a game for core gamers), and graphics weren't really indicative of sales. Gameplay counts for something even more among core gamers than casuals.

Wii offers a very broad range of games on both the store shelves and the virtual console. It's far more broad than the competing systems. Just because core gamers aren't the only focus doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of content for them (even at this early stage).

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I don't understand why Shane and co. still insist on calling the 360's lineup "only shooters" and magnifies a falsehood that future 360 games will remain in the "shooter" category.

Honestly, I do not want to sound like those "BUT OMG SHANEZZ YOU FORGET TEH ____ " or "SHANEZZ LOOKZ AT DIS GAMEZ" but I'm going to have to resort to that.

Exclusive AAA games available/soon-to-be-available on the 360 that are not shooters; PC/360 games are included:

1. Dead Rising
2. PGR3
3. DOA4
4. Viva Pinata (remember, this is not a "best sellers" list)
5. Oblivion
6. Alan Wake (not that I know of, but if it is, don't murder me)
7. Too Human
8. Mass Effect (take this as you may)
9. Blue Dragon
10. Lost Odyssey
11. Banjo Kazooie
12. PGR4
13. Forza 2
14. Fable 2
15. Eternal Sonata
16. Marvel MMO
17. Ace Combat 6
18. C&C3

Racing, RPG, Action, Platformer/Younger-Audience-Oriented Titles, Strategy, Flight Sim, Fighting -- they're all accounted for. But that's not taking third parties into account --a major part of Microsoft's plan to make a machine that appeals to all types of individuals.

Those are just a few, but the assumption that Microsoft's platform has and will continue to have shooters along with the argument that "Microsoft is content to stay in the hardcore gamer realm and doesn't want to expand like its competitors" is simply asinine.

Just scroll a few threads down; even THQ is commending Microsoft for their efforts in trying to appease all demographics.

Ulairi

Banned
teiresias said:

I disagree with the belief that core gamers can only be served by upping the graphics. I think a better UI makes games more imperssive. Zelda is a core game. SPM is a core game.

The VC games are for the core and lapsed gamer. Games like Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Resident evil are for the core gamer. I think what is hurting the Wii most is that 3rd parties were caught flat footed with how huge of a success it has been. They were not expecting this. They were not ready.

What I learned from the podcast:

We need to get people to buy the crappy 360s still stuck in the retail channel so the quiter, more stable Xbox 360s finally get made and released.

Brak

a Master Ninja said:
What I learned from the podcast:

We need to get people to buy the crappy 360s still stuck in the retail channel so the quiter, more stable Xbox 360s finally get made and released.
MS: sure we'll give you those better 360s - Psych! - Here's an Elite system for all you HARDCORE GAMERS!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You can smell the fear of the Wii in the first 5 minutes of this podcast. :lol :lol

I see why they would be afraid...but Nintendo has plenty of hardcore games coming out to satisfy them.

KINGMOKU

The whole start to the podcast about the Wii was pathetic. Nintendo knows what made them successfull, and will never stop making the games that the hardcore/nintendo fans love. They still make playing cards after over a hundred years.

Alarmist's, the whole bunch I swear.

:lol Good grief.

moku said:
The whole start to the podcast about the Wii was pathetic. Nintendo knows what made them successfull, and will never stop making the games that the hardcore/nintendo fans love. They still make playing cards after over a hundred years.

Good point if I ever saw one. That's pretty damn hardcore in a way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
moku said:

:lol Good grief.

One interesting thing was Shane was very clear that he thought the Wii was going to "win" this generation sales wise. What struck me as interesting about that comment is that on 1up he never said anything of the sort. Maybe intimidated by GAF's favorite 1up guy?

probune

schuelma said:
One interesting thing was Shane was very clear that he thought the Wii was going to "win" this generation sales wise. What struck me as interesting about that comment is that on 1up he never said anything of the sort. Maybe intimidated by GAF's favorite 1up guy?

I recall that he's said things to the same effect on 1upyours before.

Still don't get people come out in force hating on 1up/egm/etc whenever they talk about the Wii. It's perfectly fine to be afraid that third parties will jump on the Wii Sports/Play bandwagon and start releasing games like that to cater to the huge fanbase of people that bought those games while leaving hardcores behind.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I like how they hated that Nintendo is still driving the demand up by marketing while they are selling out their supply. Shame on you Nintendo for making a smart marketing move!

Why do you wanna talk about Doom it's 20 years old? :lol That part was great

Shane and Bryan are the shit.

Shipped=Sold Wow

ACHIEVEMENT WHORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Jenifer Tsao is on some kinda of pills I swear.

They're talking about the 360 over shipping and being passed up by the Wii this November and She starts talking about save systems in games like Dead Rising?????????? WTF

Owzers

milkham said:
what are you wii fanboys playing then if you think the ziff dudes are ignoring all the awesome games?

I don't know what they are playing but i can guarantee you it's amazing due to Wii controls.

Brak

milkham said:
what are you wii fanboys playing then if you think the ziff dudes are ignoring all the awesome games?
Super Paper Mario just ****ing came out...... WTF. That's the whole irony of the podcast.

just some points, weren't they ripping on the 360 last year this time for it's lack of games? I mean every system has this launch lull. Also I think the success of a game like Zelda shows that action, and adventure style games can still be done on Wii and be successful. Hopefully RE4 and Treasure Planet Z both do well on it as well and really drive that home. I'm really just not getting why people think the Wii being successful is going to kill traditional gaming. There's no more chance of that then the 360 being successful and killing off all gaming that isn't shooters or sandbox games. Personally I really liked Zelda on the Wii and was quite happy with the controls, and RE4 looks to make great use of the Wii controls, I really just don't see why people think you can't have those style games on the system. Personally I would love to see a God of War style, or Devil May Cry style game on the system, I think it would be a lot of fun if done well, like Zelda or RE4.

probune

Brak said:
Super Paper Mario just ****ing came out...... WTF. That's the whole irony of the podcast.

But they didn't ignore that game. They talked about that game for quite some time.

What games are they IGNORING, as in not paying any attention to on the podcast?

More Wii trolling? Yipee.
Seriously, the 1up/EGM need to move past this already.
Especially Brian - the guy pushes across the same ****ing viewpoint in every podcast he's appeared in.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
bigfatgameguy said:

noose.jpg

Top Bottom