• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 16-22 | Mo Money, Momochi

So this is simply and essentially, the move to mobile that people like me advocated for Nintendo for years and people on GAF responded with sarcastic tripe like "LOL Nintendo es D00med Amir1te"?

Just like "Nintendo doesn't need online", "Nintendo doesn't need HD", or "Mobile gaming doesn't affect Nintendo" before it.

LOL

Nintendo is always doomed. Has been for the last fifteen years, at least. I'll dive into things a bit this weekend maybe, but the thing I'm interested in is if their game design philosophy has started to change at all and if they're letting go of their 3D obsession.

Azure J

So this is simply and essentially, the move to mobile that people like me advocated for Nintendo for years and people on GAF responded with sarcastic tripe like "LOL Nintendo es D00med Amir1te"?

Just like "Nintendo doesn't need online", "Nintendo doesn't need HD", or "Mobile gaming doesn't affect Nintendo" before it.

LOL

Pretty much, yea. Admittedly, there was also a long running subtext on GAF where "Nintendo going mobile" would equal "Nintendo closer to putting titles out on muh PSQuad/XB1/PC" that was getting old hat, but the Chicken Littles running around about how this is the worst news ever are seriously blowing this out of proportion, especially given how much good is coming from this (Nintendo potentially getting a new revenue stream to stay healthy off of and ACCOUNTS HOLY SHIT).

pixelish

JP USF4 arcade cabs now have pads

CAjOuE-UgAAWUOF.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
speaking of nintendo
castlevania the adventure rebirth is pretty cool
did people pick this up? it's wiiware so it feels like a hidden gem

Infinite

Pretty much, yea. Admittedly, there was also a long running subtext on GAF where "Nintendo going mobile" would equal "Nintendo closer to putting titles out on muh PSQuad/XB1/PC" that was getting old hat, but the Chicken Littles running around about how this is the worst news ever are seriously blowing this out of proportion, especially given how much good is coming from this (Nintendo potentially getting a new revenue stream to stay healthy off of and ACCOUNTS HOLY SHIT).
I hope someone made a quote collage of all the posters that said they will quit gaming after the announcement.

Shouta

I don't think Fuudo will make it tonight actually. I'm chilling with Kazunoko and kitasenjuDJ in Tokido and Momochis room right now

Yeah, it all depends on the execution, and so far, what they've said actually sounds decent. It would be an entirely different situation if they had announced instead that they would just be porting stuff or shifting most of their focus to mobile for example.

Beckx

they need to have a usb connection and allow players to use their own controls.

No way. There are actually USB thumbdrives that have no functionality other than melting/overloading the outlets where they are plugged in. Probably worse things out there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think Fuudo will make it tonight actually. I'm chilling with Kazunoko and kitasenjuDJ in Tokido and Momochis room right now
I should actually learn Japanese. I feel like I miss out on half the interactions I could have playing the games I play. Plus waiting for translations sucks

Beckx

I should actually learn Japanese. I feel like I miss out on half the interactions I could have playing the games I play. Plus waiting for translations sucks

Doooo it!

Based on info in this GAF thread I'm finally seriously trying to learn. Picked up Heisig's Learning the Kanji and that's going well, and Genki I (plus workbook) for the language. I use the anki app to study and uploaded all of the Genki soundfiles to my google music library to use when I'm working through the book.

If just want to learn conversational Japanese, grab a copy of Rosetta Stone; it does work, but you need to study it every day for at least an hour.. Your grammar won't be 100%, but as long as you hit near the ballpark most people will understand what you're getting at. Also, watch Japanese TV/listen to music; a lot of people focus so hard on speaking that they forget that listening comprehension is equally important.

Reading is a little trickier, but not impossible. Learn the kana, then read stuff that has the readings printed over the kanji (aka furigana). Grammar will be a bitch; not so much for sentence structure, but just because Japanese grammar is almost a language unto itself.

Oh, fun fact: manga is the only place where colloquial spoken Japanese is written down outside of gimmicky tourist phrasebooks (for those wanting to learn Kansai dialect).

Nyoro SF

I'm slowly learning Japanese to get ahead in playing games cause I get tired of waiting just like Q. Plus knowing an extra language is a cool life skill.
I feel like I understand an extremely large vocabulary (in terms of listening/reading kana) and I can recognize around 200 kanji. Also I can understand the spoken word very well as long as a character doesn't talk too fast.

The problem is in JP is that if you miss one spoken word, or one kanji/written word, things just fall apart rapidly. Fewer pronoun references and verb/adjective conjunctions that roll into adjoining words means it's really difficult to learn unknown words from raw context. Most of the time you won't have the crutch of furigana to rescue you either, meaning I have to pull up Kanji OCR software.

I study for about an hour a day, and I am learning. But it does feel frustrating when you try to apply it to common media, miss a single word or accidentally combine two items and then the whole structure collapses in your head.

I feel like that without a native speaker to patiently help you it would take around 5 years of normal non-blitzed studying to become competent in the language.

If just want to learn conversational Japanese, grab a copy of Rosetta Stone; it does work, but you need to study it every day for at least an hour.. Your grammar won't be 100%, but as long as you hit near the ballpark most people will understand what you're getting at. Also, watch Japanese TV/listen to music; a lot of people focus so hard on speaking that they forget that listening comprehension is equally important.

Reading is a little trickier, but not impossible. Learn the kana, then read stuff that has the readings printed over the kanji (aka furigana). Grammar will be a bitch; not so much for sentence structure, but just because Japanese grammar is almost a language unto itself.

Oh, fun fact: manga is the only place where colloquial spoken Japanese is written down outside of gimmicky tourist phrasebooks (for those wanting to learn Kansai dialect).

RS sucks for Japanese. You learn to say very little because so little of the grammar is shown, and because the grammar isn't really explained, you won't know how to fully apply whatever bit you learned.

Nyoro SF

RS sucks for Japanese. You learn to say very little because so little of the grammar is shown, and because the grammar isn't really explained, you won't know how to fully apply whatever bit you learned.

One of the biggest hurdles in my initial learning of Japanese was the lack of desire of textbooks to explain proper grammatical terms in terms of translation; basically selling a neutered learning experience for those not wanting to bother with the nuances of why words and sentences work the way they do.

Thankfully GENKI does a very good job of this. Pointing our direct objections, transitive/intransitive verbs, predicate manipulation, conjunctions and so forth. I feel like I finally have a solid base for structure that I didn't have before.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Give me resources to use! I can probably bug Shouta if I ever get to the point of getting to that level of Japanese where I can speak it. I'm aiming for a Ryan Hart mastery of Japanese, dude is on point.

Give me resources to use! I can probably bug Shouta if I ever get to the point of getting to that level of Japanese where I can speak it. I'm aiming for a Ryan Hart mastery of Japanese, dude is on point.

あなた みにくい です。

w

Crocodile

LOL

I mean isn't it all about execution? Like there's a bad way to do something and a good way to do something. For example Nintendo was pretty adamant about not just porting stuff to mobile and not trying to devalue their products which was what a lot of naysayers were afraid of. If Nintendo actively ends up (or tries to) avoid the pitfalls skeptics were afraid of, that doesn't mean skeptics had no points in the past (before these announcements were made of course and assuming it all goes well).

I'm only curious what this will mean for their handheld/console output since they don't have infinite developers. Are they hiring more people?

Kalamari

After you graduate, become an English teacher in Japan, it's the hyperbolic time chamber for learning Japanese, as well as fighting games.

Nyoro SF

After you graduate, become an English teacher in Japan, it's the hyperbolic time chamber for learning Japanese, as well as fighting games.

I thought about this, but I don't think this is true. Even in Japan, you still have to go out of your way to learn Japanese; ensuring you make (patient) Japanese friends, or signing up for (expensive) Japanese classes, or working at a fully Japanese job that hopefully will take on an employee that doesn't speak Japanese.

It's definitely more accessible on the native level to live in Japan and learn Japanese at the same time, but I feel like if you worked with a native speaker anywhere in the world you should be able to progress rapidly.

CO_Andy

Are those Hori Fighting Commanders any good?

The last Hori pad i bought was on PS2, and while the dpad was functional, it was too stiff for diagonal movement.

Azure J

Nintendo isn't doing the dev work for mobile. DeNA develops the games.

Other way around. Nintendo is actually doing development (has a "group" dedicated to it), while DeNA handles the back end (servers/online/accounts, how to price the things developed, etc.).

Beckx

Other way around. Nintendo is actually doing development (has a "group" dedicated to it), while DeNA handles the back end (servers/online/accounts, how to price the things developed, etc.).

Nintendo is developing the games, DeNA is handling the bloat that comes with mobile games(service, accounts, updates, etc...).

Whoa, that's what I get when I decide twitter tells me everything I need to know.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Top Bottom