• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s been a while since I really wanted to buy a fighting game but Tekken changed it.

killatopak

Gone were the days when I religiously memorized combo and practice them tirelessly. However the new Tekken seems to make it more interesting for casual players. I don’t mean mechanical stuff but the story mode, customizations and mini games. It kinda reminds me how casuals like MK and Injustice because of the robust story mode. Tell me you aren’t hyped about this.

This is the intro. The first fight. Holy hell. I might buy it just to play through the story. How it blends cinematics and in game fights. Wow. Only downside is I heard Heihachi is gone which was one of my mains alongside Paul.

KiteGr

I haven't bought a fighting game in a while, but after seeing Tekken 8, I won't be buying one for even longer.

These days, especially when it comes to fighting games, 70% of the game is sold separately as DLC.

I just feel dirty supporting anything other than the "complete edition" if, and whenever it comes.

Last edited:

yansolo

I haven't bought a fighting game in a while, but after seeing Tekken 8, I won't be buying one for even longer.

These days, especially when it comes to fighting games, 70% of the game is sold separately as DLC.
you're right, you got to wait like a year or 2 for the super complete edition instead of unlocking stuff as you play like back in the day

killatopak

I just feel dirty supporting anything other than the "complete edition" if, and whenever it comes.

Used to bother me but I played competitively back then. Also DLC characters shake things up in fighting games and can be cause for meta shifts alongside balance changes which makes the game fresh. DLC characters especially late in the games life are usually testbeds for the sequel mechanics. Infamously done by Luke in SF5. Besides the base roster is huge and I doubt Tekken would have a huge story DLC which is what I’m here for.

I feel confident in not waiting for the complete editions of fighting games because recently, that means the sequel is close which means playerbase will switch to it anyway. Besides even with complete editions, they still release more dlc afterwards anyway. They only truly become complete when the next game is close to done and they are doing final balance updates like in SF5 and Tekken 7.

Last edited:

Damigos

This actually applies to every single game. Not only fighting ones. Nowadays even indies get complete editions. Also, in a year you not only get the complete edition but also at half price

saintjules

Bit confused by the post and it's title.

Tekken 8 has persuaded you to buy it, or did it change your mind not to get it after what you saw?

Crayon

After decades of buying a game full price three times for updates, I'll take it!

For all the shit gaas get, the one genre I play switching to that business model has worked out for me, on balance at least.

I am never hyped for cinematics in fighting games. The thing I hate about these story modes is they have no replay value and lock you into playing characters you do not want to play. I would rather play a full arcade run featuring two fights with special character specific intros and outros and an fmv ending like Tekken 5 and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Edmund

Im super hyped for the game and can't wait for the release! I was so impressed by the Ghost battles, arcade quest mode and story mode. Just 42 more days!

Kaleinc

Banned
Let me tell you a Tekken story.

15-20 years ago a room mate offered me to play Tekken is some shithole with ps1 s (or ps2 s) and those CRT TVs. I didn't want to - looks like shit, plays like shit and I'm not paying to play this garbage. He said he'll pay.
After playing when it was time to pay up it turned out he had no money and begged to pay for both of us and he'd return the money later. Still hasn't

So:
1. Tekken is shit
2. Tekken players are cunts

Puscifer

Long as they don't start announcing passes between now and launch I'm good, Street Fighter 6 having 2 different passes just made me pass really quick

Let me tell you a Tekken story.

15-20 years ago a room mate offered me to play Tekken is some shithole with ps1 s (or ps2 s) and those CRT TVs. I didn't want to - looks like shit, plays like shit and I'm not paying to play this garbage. He said he'll pay.
After playing when it was time to pay up it turned out he had no money and begged to pay for both of us and he'd return the money later. Still hasn't

So:
1. Tekken is shit
2. Tekken players are cunts
What a prick. How much did they charge?

StereoVsn

Having DLC and complete editions yes. Having 70% of the game being DLC, that's mostly fighting games.
Let me introduce you to Paradox Publishing and its strategy game portfolio.

Or Total War Warhammer series.

And let’s not forget all those Railroad titles.

That said, nothing beats DoA for the DLC costume spam.

Edit: My policy with Fighting Games is to wait a year or two for prices to drop, patches to get pushed and DLC prices to settle.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I don’t have a ton of experience with Tekken so grain of salt but the movement in the demo feels so stiff.

I don’t have a ton of experience with Tekken so grain of salt but the movement in the demo feels so stiff.
Tekken's movement is the worst of any 3D fighter, but many fans will defend Korean-back-dash-canceling with their lives and try to convince you that is how it should be unless you put in hours of learning to just move around.

Last edited:

Bond007

Never loved Tekken and the last one i truly enjoyed/addicted to was Tekken Tag Tournament. I'm a Soul Calibur, SF, MK kinda guy.
Looking forward to trying the demo and seeing if this will interest me. Its the worst moving fighter in my opinion, so i doubt it. I also loathe the sound effects LMAO.

Robb

Gold Member
Looks very annoying to get interrupted by a cutscene over and over again. I’d rather just finish the section and have that stuff play afterwards.

Top Bottom