• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM subscriptions are up.

GhaleonQ

WaltJay said:
One thing he also mentioned is that Billy Berghammer is no longer at EGM. Andrew didn't really mention if it was voluntary or not, just wished him luck. I hope this isn't a sign of the health of the magazine. =/

How long was he at G4?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
WaltJay said:
One thing he also mentioned is that Billy Berghammer is no longer at EGM. Andrew didn't really mention if it was voluntary or not, just wished him luck. I hope this isn't a sign of the health of the magazine. =/

Didn't sound voluntary. Sounded like Steve Harris being Steve Harris.

WaltJay

GhaleonQ said:
How long was he at G4?

I can't recall. But what I do remember is him hiring virtually the same people (Sterling, Patrick, and Andrew) while at G4, only then to be shown the door shortly thereafter. Very strange.

El_TigroX said:
Didn't sound voluntary. Sounded like Steve Harris being Steve Harris.
Oh? What's the deal with Steve Harris?

I'm not a fan of Berghammer's writing, and I have no idea how he is as a manager, so I don't care too much about his departure.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I would like to see somebody new in the art department. Not a fan of the page layouts and especially the font (for example, the font used for titles of games in previews). Also I don't like the staff pictures, looks like a shitty low-res black and white picture printed with a broken printer. I read EDGE and GamePro and in my opinion EGM has the weakest look.

On the plus side I got the Dead Space issues much quicker than the last one.

ataboada

Haven't searched through the thread, but I guess the EGM software does not work in Apple's Safari? It only does on Firefox for me. Anyone having similar problems?

Giolon

ataboada said:
Haven't searched through the thread, but I guess the EGM software does not work in Apple's Safari? It only does on Firefox for me. Anyone having similar problems?

It should work, you just need Flash.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just bought the Dead Space 2 issue off of a newsstand yesterday and was really impressed. Just bought the year subscription. The EGM material is pretty good so far. Confused at first with the layout of it, but I'm getting use to it. Going through the various online material.

I must say, this concept of a magazine design (the print and digital parts of it) seems to have been executed very well.

tomedo

WaltJay said:

This is pretty fucked up, I was kinda looking forward to see how Berghammer handled the mag in long run. No way he left voluntarily after such short time.

joedick

So Berghammer's gone, Bozon seems to be gone (he wasn't in the last issue or two), and Shoe was nowhere to be seen in issue 241 (he's listed as a contributor but had nothin in the mag).

Chrange

Banned
Chrange said:
Sent an e-mail to them on the 16th about the missing issues and haven't heard anything back.

Wow...a month later and no response. I got a 'new' issue though, one that was on stands for about a week and a half before it showed up, so I guess it wasn't a billing issue.

turnbuckle

V_Ben said:
I'm still waiting for last month's issue :/

I kinda gave up on the magazine even though I'm subscribed. How many issues have there been? I've still only received 2. I have a bunch of unread EGMi stuff but I only ever cared about the physical issues.

The latest issue came a couple days ago, and I've just started thumbing through it. My initial impressions are very positive. I really like the layout: very clean, different colours used in different sections, text is arranged logically, interesting art or in-game pictures are used, etc. There is a wide variety of original content. By that I mean there is a large number of editorials and features on subjects that have not been beaten to death -- the revived EGM has been very good so far at producing these types of articles, and this issue is no exception. Once again, I find an extremely long interview in the core of the magazine. All in all, it looks like a great issue. And I have to admit, I really like the paper quality...

People who bitch about magazines being 80% ads should read the new EGM. The first couple issues had maybe one or two ads, and the recent ones are equally frugal. While that likely does not bode well for the magazine's future, it makes for easy reading, enhances the layout (ads are not sandwiched in the middle of an article), and means that the ~100 pages you get are pure content -- it's basically the equivalent of a 200 - 240 page magazine.

So yeah, this is a good product. It needs to continue to produce original content and try to get a strong core of staffers to provide some continuity. Also, the letters to the editor section is really bad -- I miss the old days of goofy letters, snarky responses, etc.

oh, and I haven't even checked EGM yet... maybe when it comes to the ipod/ipad :)

I had to send them two emails to finally get my subscription going...took 3 months after I subscribed. They claimed that their records show that they've been sending the issues but I never got any.

Sounds like a bunch of idiots are running the place.

RPGCrazied

Bah. I had 2 years of this before they went under the first time. Then I was changed over to Maxim. I'm like wtf? Why couldn't they just hold out and resume it on the new one? Meh, passing.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
And Patrick Klepek jumps ship. Can't help but think this thing's gonna implode soon.

S1kkZ

where can i cancel my subscription?
the latest issue was terrible (with drake on the cover). awful reviews/previews, only good thing was the interview (as usual).

Averon

cuyahoga said:
And Patrick Klepek jumps ship. Can't help but think this thing's gonna implode soon.

What? He just got there. Sad if EGM sinks. Their mag isn't much, but I like their developer interviews.

Saw the Uncharted 3 issue on newsstands...and I still don't have it in my mailbox, even though I've been a subscriber from the beginning.

This new EGM has been very hit and miss.

Sucks Patrick is already gone. Jeez.

Flavius

Jefferson.jpg

Kiss of death, man...kiss of death.

ScOULaris

cuyahoga said:
I hope not. While it's still coming into its own, I enjoy the new EGM. I always look forward to Seanbaby's article, and every issue features a great, lengthy interview along with a handful of insightful feature articles and columns. The reviews are also slightly more "honest" than what you get with most gaming mags these days.

Gamepro is still the U.S. magazine to beat when it comes to design and content, but EGM is a close second for me.

I was contemplating getting this as I need more "man mags" at my house. Wife has enough Sunset and such.

You guys are kinda freaking me out a little with people having paper copy issues being delivered.

Seanbaby's column is the best thing in the magazine, by far.

That's not saying the rest of the magazine isn't good, it's just saying how great Seanbaby's column is. Tons of great one-liners. It feels like a Woody Allen piece fro the New Yorker sometimes, except about videogames. It's that good. Dude can write.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
I hope not. While it's still coming into its own, I enjoy the new EGM. I always look forward to Seanbaby's article, and every issue features a great, lengthy interview along with a handful of insightful feature articles and columns. The reviews are also slightly more "honest" than what you get with most gaming mags these days.

Gamepro is still the U.S. magazine to beat when it comes to design and content, but EGM is a close second for me.

Totally agree. Gamepro for me is at the top. I really dislike the design (font's, art, covers, etc.) of the new EGM. The new RGM isn't very old, but already needs a total revamp. The interviews gotta stay though, best part of the mag.

ScOULaris

SCHUEY F1 said:
Totally agree. Gamepro for me is at the top. I really dislike the design (font's art, covers, etc.) of the new EGM. The new RGM isn't very old, but already needs a total revamp. The interviews gotta stay though, best part of the mag.
I don't care for the layout design of the magazine that much, but I love the covers. It's mostly nostalgia, but something about their design along with the old-school logo gives off an awesomely retro vibe to me.

Gamepro's design, all-around, is excellent. I still can't believe how quickly and drastically that magazine got turned around. It used to be juvenile and putrid to look at, now it's mostly feature articles and sports a gorgeous look. John Davison started the revolution for the magazine, but it has been maintaining that new level of polish ever since he left.

Just stopping in to say this is the worst publisher I've ever subscribed to. I am just giving up. I've had to e-mail their customer support like a dozen times because of missing issues and I'm still missing them. Fuck it, I'm done. I'm not even going to try getting my money back.

At least I'm still getting Maxims every month from the last EGM subscription I had :|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Flavius said:
You're a good egg, Patrick Klepek. I'm sure whatever you're working on next will be sufficiently awesome. ;)

Yup! Breaking the IW story was what put you above the rest of the crowd. I hope you land somewhere soon!

Top Bottom