• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Yagharek

The animation quality in that video is phenomenal.

I think we could be looking at a new landmark in videogame timelessness here. Move over Wind Waker.

As for whether you play male or female; I really dont mind either way. A female version to subvert expectations would be welcome though.

I expect someone to compile a bunch of comparison photos throughout every game by the time I'm done with my finals tomorrow. Ugh, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

I thought of a possibility. The characters are Link and his sister, both are playable cooperatively. One player takes control of the bow a la gamepad, and the other takes the sword and shield with Wiimote and Nunchuck. This is the reworked convention of playing alone, taken by inspiration of Nintendo Land.

It has probably already been said, but if that's Link where is his sword?
No sword = no penis!

Plus Zelda has typically always used a bow in her fighting scenes in the games.

Sword and shield are on the horse:

The shield can be seen in the screenshot below in a post DSN2K made. The sword is on the other side. You can see the handle, hilt, and sheath on the other in a couple of frames before they jump off the horse. It is not the quiver. The quiver is on their back.
Here are some screenshots of the sword.

epMsgBj.jpg

The light arrow is in front of the scabbard, it is held separately from the other arrows. You can tell based on the design of the head of the arrow that it is the one used at the end of the trailer.

zrsgLRb.jpg

You can see the sword again more clearly as the pull the single light magic arrow away.

AnwgRyw.jpg

You can see the handle of the sword right above the saddle at the bottom there.

To fight an enemy that is in the water, bow and arrow from a distance to reveal the weak point is a better choice.

Sorry for the bad quality screen shots, I'm on my phone and got them from the YouTube app.

Laieon

I thought of a possibility. The characters are Link and his sister, both are playable cooperatively. One player takes control of the bow a la gamepad, and the other takes the sword and shield with Wiimote and Nunchuck. This is the reworked convention of playing alone, taken by inspiration of Nintendo Land.

Now this would be cool. I could definitely see some of the puzzles being inspired by Portal 2.

MikeDown

Banned
ib2BICFsKsJ2a1.gif

I'm leaning towards the female side of things myself, not that it matters too much. Man boobs generally don't react/bounce around that much when jumping (like you see there) or when on the move.

Eusis

AHA!

Skyward Sword:
SkywardSwordBLOG-article_image.jpg

Ocarina of Time:

Forest%20Temple02--article_image.jpg

Left handed in these games. Right handed in this shot.
. . . Huh, gotta see an actual, in-game shot for Skyward Sword, though looking online that does seem to imply whoever this character is they're right handed, not left.

EDIT: Yeah, held with the right hand, aiming with the left.

So I guess this means Skyward Sword Link is either ambidextrous or was drilled to use the sword right handed despite it not being his dominant hand and thus why he holds it really weirdly (beyond motion control reasons anyway.)

I feel like the "No master sword, no tunic" argument for it being Zelda is kind of irrelevant, because this could very well be Link/Zelda/Whoever early on in the game. The shirt is identical to WW Link's pajamas.

101px-Link_Second_Quest_(The_Wind_Waker).png

I personally think it's Zelda, simply because the character was revealed at the end, looks more feminine than Smash 4 Link, the ponytail, and of course Aonuma's comment. We'll find out when they're good and ready to discuss it, which will probably be around Gamescom or TGS.

SkyOdin

Don't you normally hold a bow in your off hand and pull with your dominant hand? Does Link hold the bow left handed in the other games?

It is really based more on dominant eye rather than dominant hand: you want your dominant eye looking down the shaft of the arrow to aim.

But yes, I am left-eye dominant and left-handed, and I hold the bow in my right hand and draw with my left. This is what Link usually does in the Zelda series (apparently even in Skyward Sword, based on the screenshot posted above). So Link is at the very least always left-eye-dominant.

Kinda weird that Link held the bow left handedly when he used his right hand for the sword in skyward sword.

I believe Links handedness has been inconsistent throughout the series.
Again, how the hold a bow is based on eye-dominace, not handedness. And Link has been consistently left-handed in every game except Skyward Sword due to motion controls (but he was still left-eye-dominant).

Don't you normally hold a bow in your off hand and pull with your dominant hand? Does Link hold the bow left handed in the other games?

zelda-2015.jpg

Yes, this person is right handed. Link is always left-handed (save for Skyward Sword for motion-controlled reasons). And since I REALLY doubt that they'll keep the same controls, this is further evidence it's not Link

[IM]http://i.minus.com/ib2BICFsKsJ2a1.gif[/IMG]
I'm leaning towards the female side of things myself, not that it matters too much. Man boobs generally don't react/bounce around that much when jumping (like you see there) or when on the move.

Chubby link confirmed. After m'ladying Zelda for so many games and never even getting a kiss, he starts to stress eat. Realizing he has to go on another adventure he stops eating peanut butter and twinkie sandwiches and goes on a strict diet regimen. But he never works out his pecs, and the moobs remain.

dmr87

Kinda weird that Link held the bow left handedly when he used his right hand for the sword in skyward sword.

That's just the motion controls, same with Twilight Princess on Wii, the majority of people are right handed. He's left handed in Twilight on GC.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sure, point being that Link's left-handedness is characteristic enough that I don't buy this is a "mistake", especially in light of that quote

Eusis

Link used to be left handed... after motion controls though they made him right handed.
You'd think that, but now that I looked into bow usage and watched that Youtube video Link's clearly not fully right handed in Skyward Sword. There's still TP, but that was a cheap switch so Link was in bizarro world where everyone BUT him was left handed.

Puaru1

I didn't say it wasn't. I said it shouldn't.

Why does the Hero of Time have to be male? There's no reason. Other than tradition. Which Aonuma has made explicitly clear he's trying to throw out the window.

The Hero of Time has to be male because the game starring the Hero of Time came out in 1998 and featured a male as the Hero of Time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
He holds the bow in his left hand when he was right handed in Twilight Princess wii.

Conclusion: There is zero consistency.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like the "No master sword, no tunic" argument for it being Zelda is kind of irrelevant, because this could very well be Link/Zelda/Whoever early on in the game. The shirt is identical to WW Link's pajamas.

101px-Link_Second_Quest_(The_Wind_Waker).png

I personally think it's Zelda, simply because the character was revealed at the end, looks more feminine than Smash 4 Link, the ponytail, and of course Aonuma's comment. We'll find out when they're good and ready to discuss it, which will probably be around Gamescom or TGS.
I think there's a difference. Every Link has been revealed and is most distinctive in their green tunics. Even Wind Waker Link was shown off wearing green garb first. It's a different story from seeing a new 'Link' be revealed without any of those trademarks.

I don't really consider this a meaningful angle, but it's not completely irrelevant.

mrkgoo

Wasn't that because you could simulate the bow in real life by holding the wii remote vertically in your right and aiming as if you held a bow, and "pulling back" with the nun chuk in your left hand? That's how I played it.

You guys look way too much into this stuff.

Branduil

Isn't this cause of the motion controls? Miyamoto stated how making him hold the sword left handed would of required a lot more work since most consumers are right handed

Yes, it's also why they flipped TP Wii to make Link right-handed in that version.

In any case I'm not sure Zink's handedness can be determined solely from bow usage. Apparently some people have eye-dominance which differs from their handedness, and in those cases they use bows contrary to their dominant hand in favor of the eye.

gogosox82

I'm pretty sure he's trolling us but that would be pretty cool if he wasn't. Playing as female Link or maybe even Zelda would be a nice change of pace.

Top Bottom