• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Who's to say no motion controls? Or maybe you swipe the stylus on the gamepad to use your sword, so they made him right handed again to help the majority of consumers.

Laconic

Banned
Yes, it's also why they flipped TP Wii to make Link right-handed in that version.

In any case I'm not sure Zink's handedness can be determined solely from bow usage. Apparently some people have eye-dominance which differs from their handedness, and in those cases they use bows contrary to their dominant hand in favor of the eye.

Cross dominance is a thing. Imagine being an ambidex and dealing with that. :/

SkyOdin

He holds the bow in his left hand when he was right handed in Twilight Princess wii.

Conclusion: There is zero consistency.

As I said above, how you hold a bow isn't dependent on handedness, it is dependent on which of your two eyes is dominant. Those are two independent traits. However, Link has consistently been left-eye dominant in every Zelda game, even when they changed his handedness. This character is right-eye-dominant.

MikeDown

Banned
Is there jiggle in that shot? I don't see it.
idKzWHmQougCb.gif
not a whole lot, but it is there ;)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yes, it's also why they flipped TP Wii to make Link right-handed in that version.

In any case I'm not sure Zink's handedness can be determined solely from bow usage. Apparently some people have eye-dominance which differs from their handedness, and in those cases they use bows contrary to their dominant hand in favor of the eye.

Twilight Princess is the only game where he holds the bow in his left hand, and that's because literally everything was flipped. They've been consistent about it before, someone else mentioned in the GC version he still holds the bow in his right.

EDIT: WInd Waker art too:

Its obviously Link and Zelda's kid.

You know believe it or not, I think most would be cool with this, especially if Link trained him/her. Because then you have Link getting some, so knowing he still existed, and then this.

Unfortunately I don't see Nintendo doing this. Because then they'd have to add a character who always compares you to the father, Peppy style.

"That was a great shot Zink, your father used to shoot just like that"

Who's to say no motion controls? Or maybe you swipe the stylus on the gamepad to use your sword, so they made him right handed again to help the majority of consumers.

I don't think it'll have the same motion controls as Skyward Sword. They don't care about the Wii Remote anymore, it's all about the Gamepad. And you can't use the Wii Remote like that and use the Gamepad at the same time.

Branduil

As I said above, how you hold a bow isn't dependent on handedness, it is dependent on which of your two eyes is dominant. Those are two independent traits. However, Link has consistently been left-eye dominant in every Zelda game, even when they changed his handedness. This character is right-eye-dominant.

Link is right-eye dominant in TP Wii.

iB90DfQezdqZo.jpg

Of course that's because the whole game was flipped, but why let a minor detail like that get in the way of this completely serious argument.

dmr87

Aonuma's quote along with right handed 'Link', no tunic, no epona and no really visible sword in your world premiere reveal is strange.

It's a mystery.

MattyG

Banned
Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Let's hope they don't do that. Nintendo, give me combat similar to WW but with small improvements and I'll be happy.

CronoShot

The hair actually seems quite long.

iBjx5gh0TCd6I.png

Without the ponytail, it would clearly come down to about the same length as the hair on the sides. A pretty long haircut for a male Link.

Tadpole

Actually... The more I see the vid... The more I suspect it MIGHT be female. If so... Hopefully they do it right. As in it works for the story. Not just cuz.

mrkgoo

Link is right-eye dominant in TP Wii.

iB90DfQezdqZo.jpg

Of course that's because the whole game was flipped, but why let a minor detail like that get in the way of this completely serious argument.

I don't think they ever thougth about eye-dominance for this.

Link was left handed, so they did everything appropriately until TP for the wii due to motion controls. SS uses right hand sword for similar reasons, and right hand bow for the same reason also.

I'll head to sleep with this statement: If Nintendo does intend to make the starring character a female, making her look exactly Link could cause a lot of disapproval. I would think that people as straightforward as Nintendo would've made her more obviously female, and what we have so far is just Link with different traits than others, which tends to be the case, but due to a troll comment people are grasping at straws and calling it truthfact.

If it ends up being true that's ballsy of Nintendo and I'd respect them for it. But you're only hurting yourself in hyping yourself up if you want this to happen. I'd recommend waiting for an actual answer or more footage that makes it more obvious. Character designs can change on the fly.

Vespene

Maybe you can make "Link" be whoever you want him (or her) to be. Custom hair, skin color, wardrobe and such. It will appease the fanboys who want a female Link to fantasize about.

Not

Banned
The funny thing is Link has become so androgynous that not even the ponytail, earrings, eyelashes and waist make him convincingly female at this point

Top Bottom